Start by marking “Catalina Magdalena Hoopensteiner Wallendiner Hogan Logan Bogan Was Her Name” as Want to Read:
Catalina Magdalena Hoopensteiner Wallendiner Hogan Logan Bogan Was Her Name

Catalina Magdalena Hoopensteiner Wallendiner Hogan Logan Bogan Was Her Name

Wild and wacky art by Tedd Arnold illustrates this favorite camp song. With googly eyes that move and priced at $10.95!

Meet Catalina Magdalena Whoopensteiner Wallendiner Hogan Logan Bogan...
She had two holes on the bottom of her nose--
One for her fingers, and one for her toes!
Though she has two arms that drag along the ground, two feet bigger than a bathroom mat, and jus
Published July 1st 2004 by Cartwheel

Be the first to ask a question about Catalina Magdalena Hoopensteiner Wallendiner Hogan Logan Bogan Was Her Name

Sam McKillop
Mar 12, 2017 Sam McKillop added it
Shelves: d-songs
1. There are no awards for this book.
2. This book is appropriate for first and second grade.
3. Catalina is a child who is different with a long funny name, two hairs, big feet, etc. She continues to be herself and live like any of the other children. Event hough she is different, she still graduates and finds someone who loves her for who she is.
4. This is an adorable book about what it's like to be different. It teaches children that just because they are different from the other kids, it does
Heather Gray
Dec 05, 2016 Heather Gray rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-31-40
Type of book- picture
literary genre- fiction
Awards- none
Summary- Catalina Magdalena Hoopensteiner Wallendiner Hogan Logan Bogan was the name her parents gave her, she had two hairs one red and one black. She had two teeth one pointed north and the other south, she had big feet, and she always spoke her mind. Catalina grows up just a little bit different and meets a man and gets married.
Critiques- The illustrations were so cute and I loved how this book had a bit of rhyming to it. It made the bo
Connie
Mar 01, 2010 Connie rated it really liked it
You know how camp songs go - they're silly, they're pointless, and they're fun to sing super fast.

The illustrations really help the song, showing (in comic fashion) how every verse - about how she puts her toes in her nose, about how she only has two teeth, about her enormous feet - only serves to make her happier and more successful in life.

A melody and some variations on the chorus are given in the back, along with the (sweet) story of how the author (really, the compiler and illustrator) lea
Scott Pagel
Oct 18, 2013 Scott Pagel rated it really liked it
There is fun for the whole family in this quotable and singable book. Although completely new to me, Arnold makes clear in the end notes that several variations of the Catalina story and song have been enjoyed at camp since at least the 1940s. It is easy to understand why it has been popular for generations because of its simple repeating style and the ability to add verses on a whim that will fit the pattern. Arnold’s illustrations compliment the story with just the right mix of silliness and t ...more
Judy
Jan 08, 2016 Judy rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-music-kids
I grew up hearing this song. Dad used to sing it to us. For some odd reason, it never donned on me that other people knew the (almost) same song. Dad's version is very similar but not identical (of course):

Catalina Magdalena Loopensteiner Widendiner
Logan Hogan Bogan

Then comes the verse about her name, but instead of mother giving it to her, my dad's version said "her parents gave it to her ..."

His second verse: She had a big pimple on the end of her nose, it went clear down to the tip of her toe
Vivian
Feb 13, 2014 Vivian rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Here's a link to the tune of the song that inspired this picture book (sporting irresistible giant wiggle eyes on the cover). http://www.songsforteaching.com/folk/...

Near the end of the book there is a giant double-page spread illustration of a wedding (where she'll get a new last name). The performer asked the story time attending children, "What is happening here?" and the reply was "They're getting wet!" (because it's pouring rain and the characters are stomping puddles). We all had a good la
Melissa Sommer
Nov 14, 2011 Melissa Sommer rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This book is about Catalina and how crazy she looks. Her name sounds funny, her eyes look funny, her teeth are funny looking, and everyone talks about and makes fun of her. I thought this book was interesting and very creative. I liked how the author used poetry in the text. The rhyming in the book gets the kids attention and has them laughing. I liked the message the book told. It was to make the most out of life and to have fun with it no matter how different you look.
Heather
My kids really liked this but I didn't so I'm giving it 3 stars. It goes along with the song of a similar name. There are several versions- my husband's is different than this one and I'd never even heard it before. That's how uneducated I am.

Anyways, the pictures were a bit much. Just too cartoony or crude or weird or whatever. They just didn't work for me. The song itself is pure nonsense. Which can be okay, but I didn't much care for the book as a whole.

Jennie Park
Feb 07, 2011 Jennie Park added it
Shelves: fiction
This book is definitely a tongue twister! It's a fun book to read and has a lot of opposite vocabulary words and great rhyming schemes as well. I think the book is geared more towards younger elementary students. I would use this book as a teaching tool when learning about opposite vocabulary words and also poems/rhyming words. Great for pleasure/leisure reading as well.
Nausheen Ukani
This book is definitely one for elementary students. Its a cute and funky story (also a song) that incorporates rhyming, vocabulary, and fantastic illustrations. The silly rhyming and colorful pictures will have all the students in a fun and comfortable environment. I would use it to talk about rhyming. It can also be used as a resource to talk about being unique and embracing individualism!
Morgan
May 21, 2009 Morgan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is about Catalina Magdalena Hoopensteiner Wallendiner Hogan Logan Bogan. She has a very long name. The book is all about her from being a baby to getting married. When she got married her name changed to Catalina Magdalena Hoopensteiner Wallendiner Hogan Logan Bogan Smith. Everybody thought Smith was a strange name.
Briaughna Ashley
Oct 14, 2016 Briaughna Ashley rated it really liked it
I always enjoyed reading this book as a child. I loved the whimsical nature of it, even though I would sometimes get tongue-tied reading the main character's name. For that reason, I wouldn't recommend this book for students learning how to read, but I think it would be fun to use as a read-aloud book.
Linda Costello
Apr 25, 2010 Linda Costello rated it it was ok
One of the students in my 2nd grade placement is reading this book. I thought it was hilarious (it is great for rhyming) until I reached the end. It follows the story of a girls life. She is born, goes through school, meets a man, and gets married. The book ends with her wedding. I think this implies that a woman's goal in life is to get married. Not excited about this book.
Shakita
Nov 01, 2012 Shakita rated it it was ok
Shelves: singing
This book is based off a song. I have never heard the song before so children who know the song may enjoy the book. She had a really long name is all I got from the book and was happy all the time. This book probaly will not make the cut into the classroom.
Judy Magallanez
Jun 22, 2008 Judy Magallanez rated it it was amazing
I love this little book. My Kindergarteners love for me to read this. The word choice is silly and also repetitive and the kids love to say the last part with me. I read it once and then sing it to them. They get the biggest kick out of it. Cute!

Judy
Karen
Sep 05, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
I did not know this camp song until I read the book to my son. It was fun and funny, and I promised him we would play the music tomorrow.

I can't think of a better illustrator for this ridiculous song than Tedd Arnold.
Savannah
Hilariously funny book that i couldn't help but laugh right along with my 1st graders as i read it aloud to them. Entertainingly good book that shows how even under the weirdest of circumstances Catalina never held her head low or was insecure.
Cana
Aug 19, 2009 Cana rated it liked it
Mommy says: If you know the song this might be fun to read, but Mommy found it really annoying.
Emilee M.
Jul 27, 2009 Emilee M. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el-ed-340, picture
This book is about a girl with a very funny name. I loved this book because when i was a kid my dad used to sing me the song.
Marta-Kate Jackson
Mar 30, 2013 Marta-Kate Jackson rated it really liked it
"She had two holes in the bottom of her nose - one for her fingers and one for her toes." Rhyming doesn't get much more fun than that. Catalina is super silly and super cute!
Kaylen Matherly
This would be a fun book to read in the classroom. Children would probably join in on the repetitive part of the book, which is saying the main character's long name.
Tierra Garr
Apr 20, 2012 Tierra Garr rated it liked it
Cute little book about a funny looking little girl who had a weird name. It is actually a camping song. I used it to talk about rhythm and poetry.
Jul 22, 2010 Sarah rated it liked it
(3-7)
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
I rate it five if you know the real song if you don't know the song you should learn it! K. Y
Paula
Presents the words--and varying forms of the name--of a classic camp song that dates at least from the 1940s.
Ms Threlkeld
Sep 16, 2014 Ms Threlkeld rated it really liked it
This book made me laugh out loud several times because it is so silly! Great read aloud.
julie
Jan 22, 2008 julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-picture
My daughter is enthralled!
Jenni
May 12, 2010 Jenni rated it really liked it
Shelves: with-cayden
Another book fair book. Cayden just laughs and laughs at this one. It is pretty funny. Read it to him 3 times and his dad read it to him 2 times last night.
babyhippoface
Jan 04, 2008 babyhippoface rated it really liked it
Kids LOVELOVELOVE this book. Trust me.
Carol
Apr 16, 2008 Carol rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
One of those wondrous books that's as much fun for the parent to read as it is for the kids to hear it.
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo: Told And Sung By The Good Fairy
  • Jack's House
  • Ten on the Sled
  • Two Little Trains
  • Froggy Plays in the Band
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Shell!
  • Dinosailors
  • Mind Your Manners, B.B. Wolf
  • Wild Boars Cook
  • Henry & the Buccaneer Bunnies
  • Let's Play In The Forest While The Wolf Is Not Around
  • What! Cried Granny
  • If You're Hoppy
Tedd grew up with three brothers. His family lived on a farm in Pennsylvania for several years then returned to Elmira until Tedd was ten years old. His father's work then required that they move to Gainesville, Florida. There, Tedd's first art lessons in an abandoned dentist's office over the Happy Hour pool hall eventually led to a fine arts degree from the University of Florida.

He and his wife,
More about Tedd Arnold...