Catalina Magdalena Hoopensteiner Wallendiner Hogan Logan Bogan Was Her Name

Catalina Magdalena Hoopensteiner Wallendiner Hogan Logan Bogan Was Her Name

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  196 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Wild and wacky art by Tedd Arnold illustrates this favorite camp song. With googly eyes that move and priced at $10.95!

Meet Catalina Magdalena Whoopensteiner Wallendiner Hogan Logan Bogan...
She had two holes on the bottom of her nose--
One for her fingers, and one for her toes!
Though she has two arms that drag along the ground, two feet bigger than a bathroom mat, and jus
Published July 1st 2004 by Cartwheel

Be the first to ask a question about Catalina Magdalena Hoopensteiner Wallendiner Hogan Logan Bogan Was Her Name

Vivian
Here's a link to the tune of the song that inspired this picture book (sporting irresistible giant wiggle eyes on the cover). http://www.songsforteaching.com/folk/...

Near the end of the book there is a giant double-page spread illustration of a wedding (where she'll get a new last name). The performer asked the story time attending children, "What is happening here?" and the reply was "They're getting wet!" (because it's pouring rain and the characters are stomping puddles). We all had a good la...more
Connie
You know how camp songs go - they're silly, they're pointless, and they're fun to sing super fast.

The illustrations really help the song, showing (in comic fashion) how every verse - about how she puts her toes in her nose, about how she only has two teeth, about her enormous feet - only serves to make her happier and more successful in life.

A melody and some variations on the chorus are given in the back, along with the (sweet) story of how the author (really, the compiler and illustrator) lea...more
Kaethe
One more sign that I'm from a different but extremely similar universe: I had never encountered this rhyme until the kid learned it in preschool. Arnold's illustrations make it.
Scott Pagel
There is fun for the whole family in this quotable and singable book. Although completely new to me, Arnold makes clear in the end notes that several variations of the Catalina story and song have been enjoyed at camp since at least the 1940s. It is easy to understand why it has been popular for generations because of its simple repeating style and the ability to add verses on a whim that will fit the pattern. Arnold’s illustrations compliment the story with just the right mix of silliness and t...more
Heather
My kids really liked this but I didn't so I'm giving it 3 stars. It goes along with the song of a similar name. There are several versions- my husband's is different than this one and I'd never even heard it before. That's how uneducated I am.

Anyways, the pictures were a bit much. Just too cartoony or crude or weird or whatever. They just didn't work for me. The song itself is pure nonsense. Which can be okay, but I didn't much care for the book as a whole.

Melissa Sommer
This book is about Catalina and how crazy she looks. Her name sounds funny, her eyes look funny, her teeth are funny looking, and everyone talks about and makes fun of her. I thought this book was interesting and very creative. I liked how the author used poetry in the text. The rhyming in the book gets the kids attention and has them laughing. I liked the message the book told. It was to make the most out of life and to have fun with it no matter how different you look.
Nausheen Ukani
This book is definitely one for elementary students. Its a cute and funky story (also a song) that incorporates rhyming, vocabulary, and fantastic illustrations. The silly rhyming and colorful pictures will have all the students in a fun and comfortable environment. I would use it to talk about rhyming. It can also be used as a resource to talk about being unique and embracing individualism!
Jennie Park
Feb 07, 2011 Jennie Park added it
Shelves: fiction
This book is definitely a tongue twister! It's a fun book to read and has a lot of opposite vocabulary words and great rhyming schemes as well. I think the book is geared more towards younger elementary students. I would use this book as a teaching tool when learning about opposite vocabulary words and also poems/rhyming words. Great for pleasure/leisure reading as well.
Linda Costello
One of the students in my 2nd grade placement is reading this book. I thought it was hilarious (it is great for rhyming) until I reached the end. It follows the story of a girls life. She is born, goes through school, meets a man, and gets married. The book ends with her wedding. I think this implies that a woman's goal in life is to get married. Not excited about this book.
Morgan
this book is about Catalina Magdalena Hoopensteiner Wallendiner Hogan Logan Bogan. She has a very long name. The book is all about her from being a baby to getting married. When she got married her name changed to Catalina Magdalena Hoopensteiner Wallendiner Hogan Logan Bogan Smith. Everybody thought Smith was a strange name.
Judy Magallanez
I love this little book. My Kindergarteners love for me to read this. The word choice is silly and also repetitive and the kids love to say the last part with me. I read it once and then sing it to them. They get the biggest kick out of it. Cute!

Judy
Shakita
This book is based off a song. I have never heard the song before so children who know the song may enjoy the book. She had a really long name is all I got from the book and was happy all the time. This book probaly will not make the cut into the classroom.
Savannah
Hilariously funny book that i couldn't help but laugh right along with my 1st graders as i read it aloud to them. Entertainingly good book that shows how even under the weirdest of circumstances Catalina never held her head low or was insecure.
Jeff
A bizarre book and song with a repetitive line "Catalina Magdalena Hoopensteiner Wallendiner Hogan Logan Bogan Was Her Name." The artwork is atrocious and more grotesque than funny.
Marta-Kate
"She had two holes in the bottom of her nose - one for her fingers and one for her toes." Rhyming doesn't get much more fun than that. Catalina is super silly and super cute!
Ellenjsmellen
I remember seeing The Man with Two Brains with Steve Martin and he had to pass a driving test. In the test, he had to juggle oranges, tap dance and sing Cataline Magdelena.
Kaylen Matherly
This would be a fun book to read in the classroom. Children would probably join in on the repetitive part of the book, which is saying the main character's long name.
Jenni
Another book fair book. Cayden just laughs and laughs at this one. It is pretty funny. Read it to him 3 times and his dad read it to him 2 times last night.
Tierra Garr
Cute little book about a funny looking little girl who had a weird name. It is actually a camping song. I used it to talk about rhythm and poetry.
Dee
This was pretty darn funny. I had never heard of the camp song they refer to. Very cute illustrations and the big googly eyes were great.
Emilee M.
This book is about a girl with a very funny name. I loved this book because when i was a kid my dad used to sing me the song.
Paula
Presents the words--and varying forms of the name--of a classic camp song that dates at least from the 1940s.
Carol
One of those wondrous books that's as much fun for the parent to read as it is for the kids to hear it.
Cana
Mommy says: If you know the song this might be fun to read, but Mommy found it really annoying.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
I rate it five if you know the real song if you don't know the song you should learn it! K. Y
Cass
My mom taught us this song when we were kids and so I loved the book! It's great!
Isley
If you like funny stuff I suggest you read it. It is about a girl growing up.
DeeAnn
All time favorite to read together as a family! Love Tedd Arnold's art!
Michelle
This one is fun to read. Then you can't her name out of your head for days.
Tiffany Smith
This is a true testament to beauty being only skin deep! Bravo.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Shell!
  • Miss Smith's Incredible Storybook (Picture Puffin Books)
  • Aaaarrgghh! Spider!
  • What! Cried Granny
  • A Boy and His Bunny
  • Two Little Trains
  • Silly Tilly
  • What Will Fat Cat Sit On?
  • Wild Boars Cook
  • Beware of the Frog
  • Let's Play In The Forest While The Wolf Is Not Around
  • Froggy's Baby Sister
  • What are You So Grumpy About?
  • Raindrop, Plop!
  • Henry & the Buccaneer Bunnies
  • I'm a Little Teapot
  • The Hiccupotamus
  • My Brave Year of Firsts: Tries, Sighs, and High Fives
Tedd grew up with three brothers. His family lived on a farm in Pennsylvania for several years then returned to Elmira until Tedd was ten years old. His father's work then required that they move to Gainesville, Florida. There, Tedd's first art lessons in an abandoned dentist's office over the Happy Hour pool hall eventually led to a fine arts degree from the University of Florida.

He and his wife,...more
More about Tedd Arnold...
Parts (Parts, #1) Hi! Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #1) More Parts (Parts, #2) There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #4) Fly High, Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #5)