Start by marking “Unix for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Unix for Dummies

Unix for Dummies

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  8 reviews
UNIX For Dummies has been the standard for beginning UNIX references for nearly ten years, and this latest edition continues that tradition of successThis unparalled resource is updated to cover the latest applications of UNIX technology, including Linux and Mac desktops as well as how UNIX works with Microsoft server softwareThorough coverage of how to handle UNIX install ...more
Published February 23rd 2011 by For Dummies (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Unix for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unix for Dummies

Péter Szilágyi
A quite enjoyable read for people who meet UNIX systems for the first time. Probably not made to be read cover to cover, rather used as a quick reference if a situation demands.

The authors put a great effort into presenting the more complicated aspects in plain English and with humour. Sometimes a little too much humour if you ask me, even though I had more than one laughs out loud.

Personally I didn't find too much new information, but that just proves I wasn't the target audience. What might be
Gregory
The first Dummies book I ever read...it helped change my career path!
Todd
Mar 17, 2008 Todd rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: semi-technical users
Little value. I was frustrated when I would look up commands and it would say something like "this command is for advanced users. You should find someone smarter then you.".

I know those are not the exact words, but that's the gist of the book. If it's not an every-day-ordinary UNIX command, you should not be messing with it. I bought the book to learn about the commands I don't use every day.

Tonica
I had an employer who I was a store manager for who demanded I read this book so I would understand how his system worked. This was in 2001 and the 'system' he set up crashed because it was not programed for the Y2K! Good book that helped me with TY sales and LY sales and hourly sales once I figured out how to program it.. lol
John
an excellent and informative read, entertaining, not a reference book, but provides a lot of background on why UNIX and Linux is the way it is... How the mail tool called "biff" was named... Sys Admin favorite foods, and other essentials are covered.
Agent
i misunderstood the title a bit this is for the unix operating system (old ass computers) i had a unix based terminal on my mac so i thought i would learn some stuff would recommend for anyone who works with old ass computers
Peter
Nov 23, 2009 Peter marked it as stuck-in-the-middle  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computers
stuck on p.40
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Snambive
Snambive marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Joel Bond
Joel Bond marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Amy Sheflin
Amy Sheflin marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Shakeel Faris
Shakeel Faris marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Daniel Calle
Daniel Calle marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
geedee
geedee added it
Nov 24, 2014
Larry Dunham
Larry Dunham marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Bruno
Bruno marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Larry Gundy
Larry Gundy is currently reading it
Sep 28, 2014
Ecenhua Maiz
Ecenhua Maiz marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Amanda
Amanda added it
Jun 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Lex & Yacc Linkers and Loaders The Internet For Dummies Flex & Bison: Text Processing Tools Qmail