Start by marking “Go to the Widow-Maker” as Want to Read:
Go to the Widow-Maker
Preview

Go to the Widow-Maker

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  4 reviews
A playwright vacationing in Jamaica becomes dangerously obsessed with deep-sea diving

Ron Grant is one of the finest playwrights of his generation, second only to Tennessee Williams in pure genius. But success does not mean he feels like a man. On vacation in Jamaica with his mistress, an ice queen who considers him her personal trophy, his thoughts are back in New York Ci
Published May 10th 2011 by Open Road Media (first published January 1st 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Go to the Widow-Maker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Go to the Widow-Maker

Philip
I've never had much luck with Jones's classic FROM HERE TO ETERNITY (158 pages seems to be the furthest into it I've ever gotten), and I recall making a half-hearted attempted at the opening pages of this novel ages ago. Lately I found myself with an impulse to try it again; it starts out slowly, but the pace - and readability - pick up. I'm now a third of the way in, and feel that I'm along for the ride.

Although I personally have absolutely no interest in scuba-diving, Jones's narrative - in wh
Oyster
Norman Mailer declared James Jones the only writer with more talent than himself, and his writing prowess certainly comes into focus in this tale of a playwright becoming obsessed with deep sea diving—a sport not for the faint at heart.
Patricia
I loved this book. Read it 3xs the 1st was in my 20s and was sailing in the Caribbean and felt like I was living the novel on some bizarre level in a different level.
Shawn
This is great read, was my introduction to the author.
S Menon
S Menon marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Y
Y marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Cosimo
Cosimo is currently reading it
Mar 14, 2015
Marcus Bucek
Marcus Bucek marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Booklovinglady
Booklovinglady marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Tsotne Nadaraia
Tsotne Nadaraia marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
April So
April So marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Federico
Federico marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Erik
Erik marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Julia Gardiner
Julia Gardiner marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Jenny Shapiro
Jenny Shapiro marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

James Ramon Jones was an American author known for his explorations of World War II and its aftermath.

His wartime experiences inspired some of his most famous works. He witnessed the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, which led to his first published novel, From Here to Eterni
More about James Jones...
From Here to Eternity The Thin Red Line Whistle Some Came Running The Merry Month of May