Start by marking “Go to the Widow-Maker” as Want to Read:
Go to the Widow-Maker

Go to the Widow-Maker

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  5 reviews
A playwright vacationing in Jamaica becomes dangerously obsessed with deep-sea diving

Ron Grant is one of the finest playwrights of his generation, second only to Tennessee Williams in pure genius. But success does not mean he feels like a man. On vacation in Jamaica with his mistress, an ice queen who considers him her personal trophy, his thoughts are back in New York Ci
Published May 10th 2011 by Open Road Media (first published January 1st 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Go to the Widow-Maker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Go to the Widow-Maker

Philip
I've never had much luck with Jones's classic FROM HERE TO ETERNITY (158 pages seems to be the furthest into it I've ever gotten), and I recall making a half-hearted attempted at the opening pages of this novel ages ago. Lately I found myself with an impulse to try it again; it starts out slowly, but the pace - and readability - pick up. I'm now a third of the way in, and feel that I'm along for the ride.

Although I personally have absolutely no interest in scuba-diving, Jones's narrative - in wh
Oyster
Norman Mailer declared James Jones the only writer with more talent than himself, and his writing prowess certainly comes into focus in this tale of a playwright becoming obsessed with deep sea diving—a sport not for the faint at heart.
Ancience
one of the few airport books I've read. Didn't enjoy it
Patricia
I loved this book. Read it 3xs the 1st was in my 20s and was sailing in the Caribbean and felt like I was living the novel on some bizarre level in a different level.
Shawn
This is great read, was my introduction to the author.
Federico
Federico marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Erik
Erik marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Julia Gardiner
Julia Gardiner marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Jenny Shapiro
Jenny Shapiro marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Paige Taylor
Paige Taylor marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Adam Fantom
Adam Fantom marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Elvis Is King
Elvis Is King marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Caleigh
Caleigh marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Jill
Jill added it
Dec 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

James Ramon Jones was an American author known for his explorations of World War II and its aftermath.

His wartime experiences inspired some of his most famous works. He witnessed the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, which led to his first published novel, From Here to Eterni
More about James Jones...
From Here to Eternity The Thin Red Line Whistle Some Came Running The Merry Month of May