One Child / Banners of Silk / The Gentle Jungle / Reflex

One Child / Banners of Silk / The Gentle Jungle / Reflex

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Reader's Digest Condensed Books Volume 134

Be the first to ask a question about One Child / Banners of Silk / The Gentle Jungle / Reflex

Jacqueline
I read 'One Child' as a junior in high school as part of a project, I recently reread it this past winter. This book highlights how resilient children can be. Nature vs. nurture is explored in this nonfiction story. Six year old Sheila, a poor almost deranged child, is put into Torey Hayden's special needs class after she tried to light another child on fire. She is violent, dirty, and scares the other children in the class until Torey begins to see the real Sheila who is sweet, kind, and a gift...more
Twinsie Jen Robbins
THIS IS FOR "ONE CHILD" ONLY I first formed my relationship with Sheila in the 5th grade as part of an advanced English class. I remember thinking oh my gosh this really happened to such a brilliant child. Sheila was a 5 yr old child who lived in such horrific circumstances that the rats round her had better lives. She is considered helpless after she sets a 3yr old on fire. No where to go the State puts her in a special education classroom. There she meets Torey a teacher, who helps Sheila blos...more
Ana
This review is only for One Child. For some reason there is not a listing for the single book.

When a co-worker first recommended I read this book I was skeptical. It is about a 6 year old girl, Shelia, that sets a 3 year old on fire and as a result is placed in a special education classroom. I did not think that I would feel any sympathy for a child that would commit such a horrendous act. But I was wrong. Throughout the book you find yourself rooting for Shelia hoping that she works through th...more
(This review is for "One Child" only.)
I love Torey Hayden. This is the second book I've read of hers, and this one was fantastic. She is able to reach special needs kids in a way that is quite remarkable. I love reading about her successes & failures as she tries to figure out how to relate to these kids. The main character in this book is a 6-year-old named Sheila who came to Torey's class because she tied up a 3-year-old to a tree & set him on fire. As the book unfolds, you learn about...more
Chanel Du
This book still makes me cry. For some reason little Sheila is still stuck in my head. Years after I finished the book
Jolene Friesen
one child is heartbreakingly amazing and is a read again. the resiliency of children is imcredible
Kathryn Hancock
This review is for 'One Child' only. Outstanding and extremely moving!
Melinda
Feb 12, 2008 Melinda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teens and older
One Child was awesomely moving. I felt ill and heartsick by turns, and determined to do whatever I could to build a stable home for my own children (I was about 12 when I read this). Now as an adult I shudder at the thought that my children's friends may be hurt by those they love. It's difficult to know what to do.

The Gentle Jungle is not by Torey Hayden but by someone else; it's also good, but only about 3 stars.
Donna
Jun 11, 2008 Donna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers, anyone
Recommended to Donna by: co-worker
I've only read "One Child" but there is no single listing for this book. Therefore my review is for only "One Child". This is truly an inspiring story for anyone and especially for those who work with children. Sometimes people on the outside fail to see the baggage that some children carry. It takes a truly special person to search for what others have already deemed unattainable.
Todd Price
This review is only for One Child. This is an heartbreaking yet encouraging book. As we work with the Roma (Gypsies) of Eastern European we've seen that there are many, many Roma children who are just like Sheila. May many more 'Sheilas' have someone come into their lives, a 'Torey' to show love, acceptance, challenge and care.
Jess
Great for learning child behavior and I really admire this teacher, but it did not make me happy. My mom loves it, so I read it for her or I would not have finished it. I would never recommended this to anyone other than as a study tool.
saudarilee
This is for One Child. My first book by Torey. i think all parents must read her books. Somehow i feel it will help us more in our daily interactions with our children. How impactful our reactions are to them and how they will literally believe everything we say. This book made me weep.
Molly
(One Child Only) - One of my favorites growing up. The sequel was just as interesting, albeit a little more realistic/depressing as an after story. Torey Hayden is an inspirational teacher and writer, and this would be a great book for someone interested in special education.
Ali
This is for One Child only. It's spectacularly heartbreaking, fairly traumatizing, and I sobbed my way through it. That said, IT WAS FANTASTIC. I highly recommend it for teachers, as well as those interested in learning about children's mental health.
Sandy Looker
Nov 09, 2007 Sandy Looker rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Holy cow. This book was amazing. You fall instantly in love with this girl. And I have never been physically ill from a book until this. Awful things happen, but it's just an amazing story.
Mary Tippens
This was a review for One Child only. It was a wonderful book. Kept me very interested from beginning to end,
Leslie Babbel
Rating for 'One Child' Read while I was in junior high when I knew I would some day be a sped teacher.
Deborah Davis
Review is only for One Child. This was my favorite book for years. I adore Torey Hayden.
Jasmine
One child is an amazing book I find that these books have an amazing qualities

Michelle
One child is a tremendous story. I would recommend all of Torey Hayden's books.
Jamie York
Such a tragic life this innocent child had to endure. This is an extremely engaging book.
Rachel Strobel
One Child: A heartbreakingly touching story that I couldn't put down.
Jennifer McEwen
4 very entertaining reads. I enjoyed them all.
'One Child'
Ankit
Ankit marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Mariana
Mariana marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
2911935
Victoria Lynn Hayden, known as Torey L. Hayden (born May 21, 1951 in Livingston, Montana) is a child psychologist, special education teacher, university lecturer and writer of non-fiction books based on her real-life experiences with teaching and counselling children with special needs.
Subjects covered in her books include autism, Tourette syndrome, sexual abuse, fetal alcohol syndrome, and electi...more
More about Torey L. Hayden...
Ghost Girl Somebody Else's Kids Just Another Kid Beautiful Child Sheila: Luka Hati Seorang Gadis Kecil (One Child)

“She looked up. "What I can't figure out is why the good things always end."
"Everything ends."
"Not some things. Not the bad things. They never go away."
"Yes, they do. If you let them, they go away. Not as fast as we'd like sometimes, but they end too. What doesn't end is the way we feel about each other. Even when you're all grown up and somewhere else, you can remember what a good time we had together. Even when you're in the middle of bad things and they never seem to be changing, you can remember me. And I'll remember you.”
14 likes