Start by marking “Encyclopaedia of Hell: An Invasion Manual for Demons Concerning the Planet Earth and the Human Race Which Infests It” as Want to Read:

A tour de force of darkness, "Encyclopaedia of Hell" is a manual of Earth written by Lord Satan for his invading hordes of demons, complete with hundreds of unpleasant illustrations, diagrams, and a comprehensive and utterly repulsive dictionary of Earth terms.

Since the customs and mores of humanity are alien and inconceivable to demons, Satan wrote this strangely poetic m
Published July 1st 2011 by Feral House

To ask other readers questions about Encyclopaedia of Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Encyclopaedia of Hell

Cate (The Professional Fangirl)
This is a Reading Good Books review.

Encyclopaedia of Hell makes fun of EVERYTHING in the human race from acne to zippers. It is an invasion guide proposed by the Ruler of Hell, Lord Satan himself. This is how we humans seem to the demons.

Think along the lines of Max Brooks’ Zombie Survival Guide. It is not to be taken seriously. The terminologies are described in the most sarcastic and surreal ways meant to show that humans are lesser beings to demons. It also talks about eating humans, diseas
Meagan
Sep 09, 2011 Meagan rated it it was amazing
This book literally had me laughing until I was crying!!! I never expected that a book with this title could make me laugh this hard but that is exactly what it did. The book is a manuscript written by Satan himself and from the "manual of earth terms" to the "guide to eating humans" there was never a dull moment. I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a book that will keep them laughing from beginning to end. This will definitely be a book that I read numerous times throughout ...more
John Hood
Jul 30, 2011 John Hood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
[An inferno] is probably just where Martin Olson was sitting when tasked with translating The Encyclopedia of Hell. How he learned to speak demonic is anybody’s guess. What’s more puzzling is where Olson got the nerve to actually translate the text in the first place. After all, it is An Invasion Manual for Demons Concerning the Planet Earth and the Human Race Which Infests It. Hardly the kinda thing one wants to bring home to baby.

Maybe Olson’s a demon himself. Why else express the “magnanimity
Kelly Wilkins
May 18, 2011 Kelly Wilkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that you can't put down. I have started reading this last night, and the humor and metaphors in this book are second to none. I can't tell anymore due to being an advanced copy, but once I am finished, I will properly review it.

Well it's been a while since I last logged into here, but suffice it to say that this book is a hell of a lot of devilishly well constructed bursts of laughter and chuckles. Not for the simple minded
Thomas Olson
May 08, 2011 Thomas Olson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Encyclopaedia of Hell by Martin Olson

I've heard strange things about this book. Manuscripts left out and read by people like Lars from Metallica and others. They have hailed it as the greatest book ever written. I cannot wait until this damn thing is released.

Sincerely,,Sidney Black Encyclopaedia of Hell by Martin Olson
Giselle
Aug 27, 2012 Giselle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition

Everyone's talking about it; now I'm curious
Christian
This was a bizarre, cynical and funny social commentary about the paradoxes in human civilization. I think of it as an updated Devil's Dictionary for our time. It was an amusing read.
Martin Olson
Mar 19, 2011 Martin Olson rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Review: Encyclopædia of Hell: An Invasion Manual for Demons by Martin Olson. Feral House. Spring, 2011. By Michael Yank

Purported to be authored by the greatest critic humanity has ever dreamed up, Satan himself, Encyclopædia pushes satire to a new, ferocious level. While the text might not actually originate from another dimension as alleged, it may as well have, so surreal and inspired is Olson's wit.

At its core a twisted Twain-ian takedown of modern society, Encyclopædia approaches our culture
Lisa
I just bought this, so have only read a portion, but I had to take a moment to rant. This is a relatively new book, released in July 2011, with the electronic version being released in 2012. I really like Feral House publishers in general. A large majority of their authors are conspiracy theorists and mad men, and while that isn't my sort of thing, I've always been glad that FH gave these authors a platform. However, I find the layout of this electronic copy inexcusable! Come on folks, it's 2012 ...more
Traummachine
This is a tough book to review. On one hand, I absolutely loved parts of it, laugh out loud funny, especially at the beginning when the concept for the whole book is being outlined. It’s very clever, and apparently includes 6 “secret codes”, such as the Wheel of Kadab that must be read in a mirror. There are several cute pun names, such as Abra Kadab, Llu Cipher, and Zyk of Asimoth. The book also has a great, odd way of telling a linear story, despite the fact that it’s laid out like an encyclop ...more
Darcy
Nov 06, 2011 Darcy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is completely irreverent and heretical and right on target. In this 'reference' book are entries and definitions and very short essays from imps and demons all they way up to the Prince of Darkness himself on the follies of humankind, and how much we think we are actually in control of our own fate.

The irony is so sharp, it will stab you in the gut and laugh maniacally while you bleed to death. If you are a depressive, it will make you feel oh so much worse. If you have evil tendencies, it
Mahendra Singh
Apr 22, 2013 Mahendra Singh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to confess that I was one of the illustrators of this amazing book and that I laughed so hard on this job that I was unable to draw straight on some pages.

If you loathe the pre-packaged bilge that passes for most of modern literature, if you eschew the comatose drivelings that pass for rational thought these days and above all, if you think man is a very, very, very bad animal who usually deserves what he gets, read this book.

Very much in the vein of Ambrose Bierce, Twain and Nathanael W
Tym
Jul 15, 2011 Tym rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goodreads Giveaway Winner, review coming very soon!
Hydra M. Star
This book no doubt has its humorous moments, but I personally feel it would have worked better had it been structured a bit differently. As it is all the entries are presented from A-Z and I found reading them in this order to be more than a little tedious. I ended up just "skimming over" most of it. For me the book would have worked better if it were written more like a manual with a short glossary of terms attached at the end or if the entries were divided into categories; different types of h ...more
Jonathan Easton
Jan 27, 2012 Jonathan Easton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good, bathroom book. Very funny, totally irreverent.
Christiane
Dec 12, 2011 Christiane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I didn't quite get through the whole thing...it's funny though, especially the pictures. Maybe not recommended for your religious friends.
Ryan
Oct 04, 2013 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommended
Fascinating, funny, and extremely boring; all at the same time. So much of the setup is told in footnotes and separated introductory entries that make it difficult to follow as any kind of true narrative.

But maybe it's unfair to judge this as a story. Most of it is a list of nasty definitions of common terms told from a demonic point of view. It's fun to browse for 10 minutes at a time, but so hard to follow. I recognize that a few of the illustrations are by Tony Millionaire, but can't find cr
Miggy
Mar 07, 2012 Miggy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This whole book feels gimmicky and forced. It's so-so.
Stanley
Aug 07, 2016 Stanley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
satiricky pohlad na svet vo forme slovniku so stipkou pribehu v intermezzach a filozofie ku koncu
Johann Snyman
It has it's moments, but generally not very good.
Tonya Breck
While this was very humorous (I especially enjoyed the plots woven in the definitions), it fell flat too often to rate more than 3 stars, in my opinion.
Jason Miller
Jason Miller rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2014
Josh
Josh rated it it was ok
Feb 26, 2013
John
John rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2011
Greet Herbert
Greet Herbert rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2014
Troy
Troy rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2012
Tim
Tim rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2011
Mostafa
Mostafa rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2013
Bess Lovejoy
Bess Lovejoy rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2011
Ellen
Ellen rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • It Is Just You   Everything's Not Shit
  • A Ghost in the Closet: A Nancy Clue and Hardly Boys Mystery
  • The 5-Minute Iliad and Other Instant Classics: Great Books For The Short Attention Span
  • The 776 Stupidest Things Ever Said
  • Andy Rooney: 60 Years of Wisdom and Wit
  • Red Smoke Rising
  • Word of Honour (The Laws of Magic, #3)
  • Options: The Secret Life of Steve Jobs
  • City of the Cyborgs (Seven Sleepers: The Lost Chronicles, #4)
  • Zombies for Zombies: Advice and Etiquette for the Living Dead
  • White Limousine (EKKO Trilogy #1)
  • Don't Be That Guy: A Collection of 60 Annoying Guys We All Know and Wish We Didn't
  • Old Testament Stories
  • Reluctant Gods
  • Boogers Are My Beat: More Lies, But Some Actual Journalism!
  • The Egg Said Nothing
  • Nursery Rhymes & Fairy Tales
  • American Folklore and Legend
Scrivener, plunker, strummer.

My first book was published by the wonderful and notorious Feral House: "Encyclopaedia of Hell: An Invasion Manual for Demons Concerning the Planet Earth and the Human Race Which Infests It"

My 2nd book is published by Abrams NY Spring 2013: "The Adventure Time Encyclopaedia: Inhabitants, Lore, Spells, and Ancient Crypt Warnings of the Land of Ooo Circa 19.56 B.G.E. - 5
More about Martin Olson...

“HALLUCINATION (hə lū sə nā shən) n. The tingle of happiness when two humans fall in love. See Agreement; God; Laughter; Love; Marriage; Oasis; Optimism; Progress; Supreme Being.” 2 likes
“HANDCUFFS (hănd kŭfs) n. Trendy techno-pop jewelry worn by the poor.” 2 likes