The Perfect Death (Detective John Stallings #3)

The Perfect Death (Detective John Stallings #3)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Art

Through him, they’ll live forever. His creation will be a testament to their perfection—and to his skill. Each victim has a rare innocence, worthy of being immortalized in his macabre work of art. A beauty worth killing for…

Imitates

Detective John Stallings can’t avoid getting drawn into his latest investigation. The parallels between the Jacksonville girl who just disap...more
Published February 1st 2012 by Pinnacle

Amanda
I won this book as a part of the Good Reads First Reads program.

I enjoyed this book. The writing was definitely well done. The plot was very interesting, if not entirely engrossing. I liked the characters.

If anything, I would have liked it to have been a little shorter, with maybe just a little bit less detail of the character's home lives (there seemed to be A LOT of detail). Also, the ending wasn't as quite as enthralling as I expected. I was looking more for a "thriller" type feel and this fe...more
Alison
Let me begin by saying that this book introduced me to a wonderful author who I can not wait to read more of!! I love when I can say that about any book, especially a book that I won from First Reads!
The Perfect Death was non-stop action & suspense from page one. It truly started off to hook the reader & it worked for me! The plot felt incredibly real particularly the parts dealing with the Jacksonville Sheriffs & how police handle investigations. The fascinating part was not how the...more
Eleanor
***Though the publisher provides the free book, I offer the opinion.***

My Look:

Buddy meets the women at work or while pretending to be at work, and he obsesses over their last breath.

Jacksonville Detective John Stallings has been on this side the report, and into each case, he brings the father of a missing teen, Jeanie, with his badge. Though his badge helps him to identify the family dynamic that plays out before him, the father of a missing person helps him to identify with the family and the...more
Stephanie Wolf
What type of psychotic serial killer searches for the perfect woman, one who is truly special. She cannot be an alcoholic, a drug user, have a bad temperament, etc. She must be innocent. In this case, that killer is Buddy.

Buddy is a glass blower and is searching for the perfect woman to show for eternity. He strangles them and takes their last breath, placing it in one of his specially made glass jars.

Detective John Stallings has a missing daughter of his own, and cannot put that out of his mind...more
Lucy Dosch
Missing Persons Det. John Stallings and his partner, Patty Levine, are trying to a missing teenage girl. Homicide Det. Tony Mazzetti and his partner, Sparky Taylor, are trying to find who strangled a woman and dropped her body in a dumpster. When their cases collide, all they can do is hope their missing girl isn’t another victim of the murderer.

The killer is working hard to finish his art project, confident that the police won’t stop him until he has completed his masterpiece.

Can the police put...more
Nichole
WOW! I had high expectations for this book, and I was NOT let down! This was a fast paced story, set in FL, which went between 3/4 members of the police force & 1 serial killer.
I loved the way the story flowed. You got sucked in, and just HAD to turn the page to find out what was going to happen next! I'd find myself saying I'd put the book down at the end of THIS CHAPTER....to go on for 3 more. It was just that good.
I liked the characters, each one, I felt, was well developed and you had...more
Amy Scissors
Andrus delivers all the things I love about a thriller: interesting and well fleshed-out characters, a psychotic serial killer, and a fast paced plot.

I really liked that Buddy, the killer in this novel, kills women, but is not interested in them sexually. In fact, he is repulsed when he encounters female sexuality. There are just too many serial killer/rapist plots out there and this take is a refreshing breather from that tired trope.
Marianne Stehr
Lucky to get an ARC of this book, I continue to be in love with the author and the fast paced police procedural that he writes, this is the third in the series and it keeps probing deeper into the lives of the detectives and keeps you wanting more. I will be looking forward to the fourth book. This one showcases another serial killer with an odd fetish, a quick moving and interesting storyline.
Amy
This is the 3rd in a series about Detective John Stallings. I read the first as a freebie from Amazon and have enjoyed all 3. If you like murder mystery/police procedural/serial killer genre you will probably enjoy these. There are a few inconsistencies and the storyline is not particularly complex, but a good quick read.
Andrea
Loved this book. Definitely going to read the other books in this series.
Beautifulamorina Smith
Beautifulamorina Smith marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Shelle Pennington
Shelle Pennington marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Christopher Maxwell
Christopher Maxwell marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Thewalkinglexicon
Thewalkinglexicon marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Kelleigh
Kelleigh marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
P'cola
P'cola marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2013
Kimmee
Kimmee marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2013
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2013
Julie
Julie added it
Nov 03, 2013
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
James Andrus is a career law enforcement officer who still works major investigations. He has been involved in real serial crime cases, which formed the basis for some of this novel. He has been featured on network news shows and been recognized for his law enforcement achievements. Andrus lives in the Southeast United States with his family, dividing his time between police work and writing.
More about James Andrus...
The Perfect Woman (Detective John Stallings #1) The Perfect Prey (Detective John Stallings #2) The Perfect Scream  (Detective John Stallings #4)