The Chinese Shawl

The Chinese Shawl (Miss Silver #5)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  376 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Miss Silver must intervene when an age-old family feud returns with fatal effectAll London loves Tanis Lyle. A beautiful amateur who happened accidentally on a career in the theater, she has just finished filming her first motion picture. Though hardly beautiful, the young woman has electric charm, and seems to hypnotize all who meet her. This is the effect she has on Laur...more
Published June 28th 2011 by Open Road Media (first published 1943)

To ask other readers questions about The Chinese Shawl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chinese Shawl

Diane
Written in 1943, this is the fifth book in the estimable Miss Silver series. The author is in full stride, with plot elements that she carries through most of the series (young lovers with an obstacle in their way, Miss Silver providentially on hand to sort things out) and others that appear less frequently, like an invalid with a secret - the same secret appears in at least one later novel, "Vanishing Point". An aspect of this cozy mystery that I found particularly interesting is that it is set...more
Diane
I always think of Patricia Wentworth as "Christie lite," though I don't mean that as an insult. Wentworth is a good writer and writes good mysteries, but she's definitely second rank. She's not as good as Agatha Christie, Rex Stout, Arthur Conan Doyle, or Erle Stanley Gardner. Her characters just don't come to life like theirs do, and Miss Silver, for all her excellent detecting, is no Miss Marple, the other spinster detective she is most compared to. Despite appearances, Miss Silver is not a ri...more
Kathy
Picked this up at our library's summer book sale It's one Miss Silver that I've never read. And it turned out to be one of her best. Laura Fane and her CHinese shawl travel to her family estate (she owns it but has never lived there) for a house party. Miss Silver is also a guest and naturaly, a murder occurs----and the shawl disappears. With Miss Silver's accute observations all comes clear in the end but it's a very twisted path.
Kris
4 STARS

Laura Fane has returned to London to collect her inheritance but it is not the happy moment she anticipated. Her father was expected to marry a cousin but instead fell in love with Laura's mother. Her father has left her everything including the estate that his jilted finacee occupies. She wants Laura to sell her the place so she can leave it to her niece Tanis. Laura os not sure what to do.

When Laura is summoned to visit Tanis' aunt Laura discovers Tanis is manipulated and will do anythi...more
Sally
I'm working my way through the Miss Silver series. I can't say exactly why I like them, except that I like Miss Silver and a bit of sweet romance is always touching. These are easy reads and simply a pleasure to breeze through.
Abbey
1943, Miss Silver at a deadly house party weekend;; genteel PI - three-and-one-half stars.

Wealthy family snipes at each other while at a weekend party at an isolated big house. Formulaic stuff, beautifully woven by a craftswoman. Not spectacular, filled with bits that have now become cliches, but a solid read, with a strong plot and very interesting characters.

Comfortable and entertaining, until the denouement, when she trots out one of the oldest cliches ever, for the climax. But most of the n...more
Bonnie
I liked this book while reading it, but at the end felt like it was just another mystery in the mode of Mary Stewart. In other words, not too original, but interesting to read.
Andrea Hickman Walker
I really love the Miss Silver series. I can't say that I prefer her to Miss Marple, but there are aspects of her character that I like better than Miss Marple. This is a most enjoyable book, though I have to say that I thought it was perfectly obvious what the thing about the shawl was. I was not, however, sure of just who the murderer was until the very end and even then I wasn't absolutely certain until the confession. This is definitely worth reading and I would enjoy reading it again knowing...more
Theresa
Miss silver is much like Miss Marple. They both are oler ladies who like to knit as they watch the events unfold.
Lisa Kucharski
Enjoyable read, though I must admit I wanted the person who got killed, to get killed a bit earlier! The "detective" here is a bit omniscient and also has info that she doesn't share with the audience until she makes a statement ... so it's not a story where you try to solve the crime seeing what the detective sees. Also, it was more a story about one woman who has this incredible control over men and wrecks so many lives with it.

Interesting writing, but as a mystery it was just okay.
Nancy
What a silly book. It is more of a romance than a mystery. There is lots of talk about fashion and style. There is love at first sight. There is a handsome man who also turns out to be fabulously wealthy. There actually is a mystery in the middle but I was so turned off by the shallow intrigues of the characters at the beginning that I flipped to the end to see who-done-it. Maybe the middle is good, but I was so irritated by the characters that I couldn't stand to read it.
Katrina
A very enjoyable Miss Silver murder mystery. It's a mystery to me why these books aren't as popular as Christie's Miss Marple books.
Amy
This was my first Miss Silver mystery but it won't be my last. Oddly enough, Miss Silver was a secondary character in the book with the main focus on Laura Fane and her connections. This was set during the war and is a house party mystery (one of my favorites). This author was recommended when I was buying some Dorothy Sayer novels at Amazon the other day and I was able to get the book from my library.
Jim
Set in a mansion used in part for evacuees from London during WWII, this British murder mystery is one of the better ones in the writer's Maud Silver series. The interplay between Miss Silver and the investigating officer is well thought out and somewhat livelier than in most other series entries. Romance again is a critical element and the character of the villain is the same as in other series entries.
Cera
This is the first (chronologically) of Wentworth's novels I've really loved, although there are a few earlier ones that I'm waiting for via ILL. I adored the brightly coloured melodrama of Tanis.

I thought WHH's Awakening Conscience gets mentioned in this one, but I think I'm mis-remembering. Oh, if only all books were searchable online!
Grace
If you like Agatha Christie, you will probably also like Patricia Wentworth. These books were written in the 1930s-1940s and are set in that present. They are atmospheric, have an interesting "detective" and always some romance. This particular one had a challenging mystery that was not immediately solvable. Good read.
Yorky Caz
How did I miss these books! They are great - very similar to Miss marples with the main character Miss Silver been a little old lady without the bumblingness of Miss Marple but a very good detective regardless, will definitely be looking out for more of these
Nicole
Again, very like the two that preceded it, but no less charmingly so. It's now wartime in England, and very interesting to see how that's gone on within the context of the stories. I finished this in a couple of days--too bad!
Christina
Patricia Wentworth did a fantastic job setting the scene and building up the tension before the murder took place. I also loved the main character, who seemed shy and naive but turned out to be extremely self-aware.
Kiernan
Miss Silver at her most Mary Stewart-est, even though she came first.
Gisela
this felt like a Miss Marple pastiche and not a particularly good one at that. Again one of those times I wish good reads did half points as I would give this a one and a half.
Nicole
Miss Silver is staying with an old friend when the young people arrive for a house party and murder results. The shawl, brought by a visitor, was worn by the victim.
Danelle
I have read all but one of Patricia Wentworth's books. I especially liked the ones with Miss Silver but they are all good, even the ones written in the early 1900's.
Poornima
This was my second attempt at reading patricia wentworth.. and thoroughly enjoyed it! charming mystery.. good read!
Michele bookloverforever
murder most British. set during WWII in London first then later, the British countryside.
Deena
Didn't love this one as much as the Wentworths I read before this one.
Wendroz
Miss Silver is one of my favorite detectives, I love English mysteries.
Jessica
Not read this one in ages. Didn't guess who it was until right at the end.
Margareth8537
Easy reading, made more interesting by the time of its setting (written in 43)
Morgana
Nice to return to these after many years - good comfort reading!
  • Hand in Glove (Roderick Alleyn, #22)
  • Death of a Ghost (Albert Campion Mystery #6)
  • Green for Danger
  • An English Murder
  • Holy Disorders (Gervase Fen, #2)
  • Dead in the Water (Daisy Dalrymple, #6)
  • No Wind of Blame (Inspector Hemingway Mystery #1)
Patricia Wentworth--born Dora Amy Elles--was a British crime fiction writer.

She was educated privately and at Blackheath High School in London. After the death of her first husband, George F. Dillon, in 1906, she settled in Camberley, Surrey. She married George Oliver Turnbull in 1920 and they had one daughter.

She wrote a series of 32 classic-style whodunnits featuring Miss Silver, the first of wh...more
More about Patricia Wentworth...
Grey Mask (Miss Silver, #1) Miss Silver Comes to Stay (Miss Silver, #16) The Case Is Closed (Miss Silver, #2) Poison in the Pen (Miss Silver, #29) The Catherine Wheel (Miss Silver, #15)