Start by marking “The Chinese Shawl” as Want to Read:
The Chinese Shawl

The Chinese Shawl (Miss Silver #5)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  561 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Miss Silver must intervene when an age-old family feud returns with fatal effectAll London loves Tanis Lyle. A beautiful amateur who happened accidentally on a career in the theater, she has just finished filming her first motion picture. Though hardly beautiful, the young woman has electric charm, and seems to hypnotize all who meet her. This is the effect she has on Laur ...more
Published June 28th 2011 by Open Road Media (first published 1943)

To ask other readers questions about The Chinese Shawl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chinese Shawl

Diane
Jun 27, 2015 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always think of Patricia Wentworth as "Christie lite," though I don't mean that as an insult. Wentworth is a good writer and writes good mysteries, but she's definitely second rank. She's not as good as Agatha Christie, Rex Stout, Arthur Conan Doyle, or Erle Stanley Gardner. Her characters just don't come to life like theirs do, and Miss Silver, for all her excellent detecting, is no Miss Marple, the other spinster detective she is most compared to. Despite appearances, Miss Silver is not a ri ...more
Kris - My Novelesque Life
4 STARS

Laura Fane has returned to London to collect her inheritance but it is not the happy moment she anticipated. Her father was expected to marry a cousin but instead fell in love with Laura's mother. Her father has left her everything including the estate that his jilted finacee occupies. She wants Laura to sell her the place so she can leave it to her niece Tanis. Laura os not sure what to do.

When Laura is summoned to visit Tanis' aunt Laura discovers Tanis is manipulated and will do anythi
Sally
Sep 10, 2014 Sally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I'm working my way through the Miss Silver series. I can't say exactly why I like them, except that I like Miss Silver and a bit of sweet romance is always touching. These are easy reads and simply a pleasure to breeze through.
Abbey
1943, Miss Silver at a deadly house party weekend;; genteel PI - three-and-one-half stars.

Wealthy family snipes at each other while at a weekend party at an isolated big house. Formulaic stuff, beautifully woven by a craftswoman. Not spectacular, filled with bits that have now become cliches, but a solid read, with a strong plot and very interesting characters.

Comfortable and entertaining, until the denouement, when she trots out one of the oldest cliches ever, for the climax. But most of the n
Les Wilson
Mar 11, 2015 Les Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is how a book of this genre should be written. I have read over 2,000 books of this genre, and I put this book in my top 20. I will most likely read it again (this is reserved for very few books).
Bonnie
Apr 03, 2014 Bonnie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book while reading it, but at the end felt like it was just another mystery in the mode of Mary Stewart. In other words, not too original, but interesting to read.
Andrea Hickman Walker
Nov 13, 2013 Andrea Hickman Walker rated it really liked it
I really love the Miss Silver series. I can't say that I prefer her to Miss Marple, but there are aspects of her character that I like better than Miss Marple. This is a most enjoyable book, though I have to say that I thought it was perfectly obvious what the thing about the shawl was. I was not, however, sure of just who the murderer was until the very end and even then I wasn't absolutely certain until the confession. This is definitely worth reading and I would enjoy reading it again knowing ...more
Susan
Dec 23, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Susan by: Oyster
Shelves: mysteries
“[The Chinese Shawl] was such a lovely thing—black ground and deep black fringe, every inch of the ground worked over in a pattern of fantastic loveliness and all the colours of a fairy tale.”

This beautifully embroidered heirloom along with its young owner becomes involved with an old family feud and a femme fatale surrounded by a group of captivated admirers and their ticked-off significant others. When murder occurs, Miss Silver is already on the spot , doing a small private investigation. Th
Theresa
Apr 03, 2014 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Miss silver is much like Miss Marple. They both are oler ladies who like to knit as they watch the events unfold.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Daju Law
Feb 04, 2016 Daju Law rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Susan
Nov 13, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like all the Miss Silver books. A bit of a twist in this one that was interesting.
Lisa Kucharski
Enjoyable read, though I must admit I wanted the person who got killed, to get killed a bit earlier! The "detective" here is a bit omniscient and also has info that she doesn't share with the audience until she makes a statement ... so it's not a story where you try to solve the crime seeing what the detective sees. Also, it was more a story about one woman who has this incredible control over men and wrecks so many lives with it.

Interesting writing, but as a mystery it was just okay.
Nancy
Jun 26, 2012 Nancy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a silly book. It is more of a romance than a mystery. There is lots of talk about fashion and style. There is love at first sight. There is a handsome man who also turns out to be fabulously wealthy. There actually is a mystery in the middle but I was so turned off by the shallow intrigues of the characters at the beginning that I flipped to the end to see who-done-it. Maybe the middle is good, but I was so irritated by the characters that I couldn't stand to read it.
Kathy
Aug 26, 2014 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up at our library's summer book sale It's one Miss Silver that I've never read. And it turned out to be one of her best. Laura Fane and her CHinese shawl travel to her family estate (she owns it but has never lived there) for a house party. Miss Silver is also a guest and naturaly, a murder occurs----and the shawl disappears. With Miss Silver's accute observations all comes clear in the end but it's a very twisted path.
Katrina
Jan 26, 2014 Katrina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable Miss Silver murder mystery. It's a mystery to me why these books aren't as popular as Christie's Miss Marple books.
Amy
Dec 16, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Miss Silver mystery but it won't be my last. Oddly enough, Miss Silver was a secondary character in the book with the main focus on Laura Fane and her connections. This was set during the war and is a house party mystery (one of my favorites). This author was recommended when I was buying some Dorothy Sayer novels at Amazon the other day and I was able to get the book from my library.
Jim
Apr 21, 2013 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in a mansion used in part for evacuees from London during WWII, this British murder mystery is one of the better ones in the writer's Maud Silver series. The interplay between Miss Silver and the investigating officer is well thought out and somewhat livelier than in most other series entries. Romance again is a critical element and the character of the villain is the same as in other series entries.
Cera
Aug 23, 2012 Cera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first (chronologically) of Wentworth's novels I've really loved, although there are a few earlier ones that I'm waiting for via ILL. I adored the brightly coloured melodrama of Tanis.

I thought WHH's Awakening Conscience gets mentioned in this one, but I think I'm mis-remembering. Oh, if only all books were searchable online!
Grace
Nov 01, 2013 Grace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like Agatha Christie, you will probably also like Patricia Wentworth. These books were written in the 1930s-1940s and are set in that present. They are atmospheric, have an interesting "detective" and always some romance. This particular one had a challenging mystery that was not immediately solvable. Good read.
Yorky Caz
Jul 07, 2010 Yorky Caz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How did I miss these books! They are great - very similar to Miss marples with the main character Miss Silver been a little old lady without the bumblingness of Miss Marple but a very good detective regardless, will definitely be looking out for more of these
Nicole
Feb 27, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Again, very like the two that preceded it, but no less charmingly so. It's now wartime in England, and very interesting to see how that's gone on within the context of the stories. I finished this in a couple of days--too bad!
Christina
Mar 14, 2013 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Patricia Wentworth did a fantastic job setting the scene and building up the tension before the murder took place. I also loved the main character, who seemed shy and naive but turned out to be extremely self-aware.
Gisela
Jun 25, 2013 Gisela rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
this felt like a Miss Marple pastiche and not a particularly good one at that. Again one of those times I wish good reads did half points as I would give this a one and a half.
Nicole
Miss Silver is staying with an old friend when the young people arrive for a house party and murder results. The shawl, brought by a visitor, was worn by the victim.
Danelle
Mar 10, 2012 Danelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read all but one of Patricia Wentworth's books. I especially liked the ones with Miss Silver but they are all good, even the ones written in the early 1900's.
Poornima
This was my second attempt at reading patricia wentworth.. and thoroughly enjoyed it! charming mystery.. good read!
Michele bookloverforever
murder most British. set during WWII in London first then later, the British countryside.
  • Green for Danger
  • Dead in the Water (Daisy Dalrymple, #6)
  • Death in Ecstasy (Roderick Alleyn, #4)
  • The Affair of the Mutilated Mink (Burford Family Mysteries, #2)
  • Death of a Ghost (Albert Campion Mystery #6)
  • Fire When Ready (Manor House Mystery, #7)
  • An English Murder
  • The Franchise Affair (Inspector Alan Grant, #3)
  • Death in Kenya
Patricia Wentworth--born Dora Amy Elles--was a British crime fiction writer.

She was educated privately and at Blackheath High School in London. After the death of her first husband, George F. Dillon, in 1906, she settled in Camberley, Surrey. She married George Oliver Turnbull in 1920 and they had one daughter.

She wrote a series of 32 classic-style whodunnits featuring Miss Silver, the first of wh
More about Patricia Wentworth...

Miss Silver (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • Grey Mask (Miss Silver, #1)
  • The Case Is Closed (Miss Silver, #2)
  • Lonesome Road (Miss Silver, #3)
  • Danger Point (Miss Silver, #4)
  • Miss Silver Deals With Death (Miss Silver, #6)
  • The Clock Strikes Twelve (Miss Silver, #7)
  • The Key (Miss Silver, #8)
  • She Came Back (Miss Silver, #9)
  • Pilgrim's Rest (Miss Silver, #10)
  • Latter End (Miss Silver, #11)