Start by marking “Leading at a Higher Level, Revised and Expanded Edition: Blanchard on Leadership and Creating High Performing Organizations” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Leading at a Higher Le...

Kenneth H. Blanchard

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  745 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews

30 Years of Breakthrough Leadership Insights in One Extraordinary Book!

From The One Minute Manager to Raving Fans, Ken Blanchard’s books have helped millions of people unleash their power and the potential of everyone around them. The Ken Blanchard Companies has helped thousands of organizations become more people oriented, customer centered, and performance driven.

Published September 8th 2009 by Pearson Education (first published 2006)

Be the first to ask a question about Leading at a Higher Level, Revised and Expanded Edition

GoldenjoyBazyll
of course I am a fan of the Blanchards!!!!! So naturally, this book made great sense. The essence: to lead at a higher level you must-
1. share information and engage in open communication w/ your team
2. have a compelling organizational vision/ purpose/ values
3. value on-going learning
4. have a relentless focus on customer results
5. have energizing systems and structures that make it isasy for your staff to get things done
6 share power and allow staff a high level of involvement- opportunities to
Tina
Sep 30, 2012 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These days, my leisure reading consists of reading for school. No time for fiction, which is disappointing, but I did self-select this one for a school paper and it was quite good.

Leading at a Higher Level looks at a variety of leadership models: one-to-one, team and organizational leadership.

I especially like the last chapter which talks about developing your own leadership point of view. As leaders, we all need to be clear on our core values and life purpose. It is only once we develop this th
Edgar Mora-Reyes
Oct 04, 2014 Edgar Mora-Reyes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A diferencia de la literatura de negocios y liderazgo reinante, esta obra me parece, se aproxima a la ciencia del complejo sistema del ser humano, del liderazgo, la toma de decisiones, las motivaciones y sobre todo los procesos que apoyan al cambio del clima organizacional. Un libro fluido, con muchos casos y ejemplos que suenan "naturales" y reales, sin demasiadas ideologías, tal vez demasiado optimista pero así debería de ser este tipo de lecturas, dejando el cinismo del modernismo a un lado, ...more
Dustin Blanton
Aug 24, 2015 Dustin Blanton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Leading at a Higher Level' is an excellent book on leadership. Much of the content is in alignment or repeated from other books on management and leadership, but where this book shines is its discussion of Blanchard's 'Situational Leadership II' model. Briefly, the model allows for the diagnosis of the development stages of those we are charged with leading, and further suggests the appropriate leadership style to use for each development stage. Thus, it forms a toolkit for communicating with y ...more
Monique
Apr 27, 2011 Monique rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read with tons of information. However, some of the information is restated from previous books. The rehash of other books was a bit of bore but this would be a great read for someone new to leadership position and/or Ken Blanchard.
Leader Summaries
Desde Leader Summaries recomendamos la lectura del libro Liderazgo de nivel superior, de Ken Blanchard.
Las personas interesadas en las siguientes temáticas lo encontrarán práctico y útil: liderazgo, características de un buen líder.
En el siguiente enlace tienes el resumen del libro Liderazgo de nivel superior, Qué debe hacer un líder para crear una cultura corporativa que sea imposible de copiar por la competencia: Liderazgo de nivel superior
Derwin
Jun 27, 2008 Derwin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great ideas for leadership and great research. Too much religion used in the ideas.
Nathan Schneider
Dec 13, 2014 Nathan Schneider rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
This book is basically a review of Blanchard's earlier works. I found it helpful to get a big picture of his leadership principles regarding effective teams. For anyone who's read some of Blanchard's work in the past, this book would serve as a great refresher.
Jacki
Jun 20, 2015 Jacki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're well-versed in servant leadership you've pretty much got this book covered. Good points but Blanchard books always irritate me because of the overwhelming cross-promotion of other books and trainings that just muddy the message.
Chad Manske
Mar 16, 2015 Chad Manske rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exceptional book on leadership for leaders at all stages. Especially noteworthy is the chapter on servant leadership.
Mark
Mar 25, 2014 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
so so book. It will help me get my team to get cover sheets on their TPS reports.
Chole
Jan 20, 2014 Chole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy reading Ken Blanchard's books. They aren't so dry your brain immediately shuts off. A good explanations of Blanchard's theories and beliefs on leadership.
Nick Woodall
I love Ken Blanchard, so I loved this book!
Erin
Mar 24, 2013 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the first 100 pages of this boom and last 50. The middle was a little slow, redundant and boring. But I liked the tips and strategies it gave to become a serving leader, not a self-serving one. This will help me in my personal and professional life as well as being a better mother and fulfill my church duties. If you want to become a leader or become a better leader, read this book!
Vaughn
Jan 02, 2011 Vaughn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Practical and increadibly relevant for anyone that wants to fully embrace servant leadership. I especially appreciated the chapters on on building trust through sharing your leadership point of view and the role that leadership plays in creating employee passion. A second reading may be necessary to take away all the concepts. Highly recommended.
Daniel Oon
May 07, 2013 Daniel Oon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that if you decide to use it, it will be on your desk and you will gtow exponentially as a leader. This read from Blanchard goes in-depth on the factors of leadership and its application.
Blanchard also covers Servant Leadership not in a church setting but a commerce situation.

Absorb from the best. Don't waste time.
Daron Yondem
Dec 22, 2014 Daron Yondem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-learn
It took me a long time to finish the book. Honestly I have no idea why. I felt like things got flowing especially during the second part of the book and it was much easier to keep up reading. Overall the messages within the book are very valuable but you might just read the "One Minute Manager" and get most out of it already.
Jw van Eck
As appreciative I am about Blanchards' work, I do like the smaller book(lets) better. This is a recap of previous work (by various work). A bit too practical at times but always a good reminder about leadership, servant, situational or not - even with a questionable link between the UPO model and Collin and Porras 'science'.
James Kim
A fantastic book on management. The reason why I only gave it three stars is because sections of it read more as a management how to book than a leadership book.

But if you're looking for a management how to book, this would be an excellent read and one you would want to study and implement.
Darice
Jan 27, 2007 Darice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: leaders
I purchased this to include in a research paper I'm doing. Blanchard is a well-respected and often quoted guru of leadership. It's been a great refresher of my graduate studies, and has provided information to help me be more successful in my current job and in my planned future jobs.
Frode Storesund
Sep 15, 2010 Frode Storesund rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
This is an excellent book. The rules are simple and I believe that if you learn all tools in this book you will become a top 10% leader. The only question is that the one minute manager for example is maybe a bit outdated since it is based on a hierarchical model.
Gregg B. Jensen
Feb 21, 2013 Gregg B. Jensen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book teaches about creating Raving Fans of your employees and customers. It talks about empowering your people, and providing servant leadership. It was an great book, but a little dry in the middle when talking about change.
Brian K.
Just started reading yesterday and can already say without a doubt that this book will be changing my style, delivery, and motivation in everyday situation.

Thanks Ken Blanchard for continuing to produce solid material!
Matt
Oct 17, 2012 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read about the role of context in leadership situations. Blanchard guides you through his system to identify the best type of leadership to apply to a given situation. Managers at any level should add this to their library.
John
I disqualified myself from the ENTIRETY of this text, although I did manage to acquire some WORTHY notes

thus the lack of a star rating
Cathy
Jul 18, 2009 Cathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Normally I'm a big fan of Blanchard but this one was tough to get through, slow, not as humorous or insightful
Rick Mackinnon
Jul 05, 2012 Rick Mackinnon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
High marks for covering many aspects of leading. A lot to digest. Well worth the read for any level of leadership.
Randy
Apr 23, 2011 Randy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like the book. It done a good job of looking as leadership as an act of service. I will read it again.
Jim
Jan 24, 2013 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting perspective at leadership. There are a lot of good lessons to be gleaned from this book.
Emmececity
Per raggiungere la leadership giorno dopo giorno seguite i passi di questo libro .Consiglio.
  • The Truth About the New Rules of Business Writing (Truth About Series)
  • The Truth about Getting the Best from People (Truth about)
  • Five Minutes on Mondays: Finding Unexpected Purpose, Peace, and Fulfillment at Work
  • The Truth About Managing People...And Nothing But the Truth
  • Lead to Succeed and You Won't Manage to Fail
  • Ultimate Leadership: Winning Execution Strategies for Your Situation
  • Know What You Don't Know: How Great Leaders Prevent Problems Before They Happen
  • Disrupt: Think the Unthinkable to Spark Transformation in Your Business
  • The Power of Communication: Skills to Build Trust, Inspire Loyalty, and Lead Effectively
  • The Personal Credibility Factor: How to Get It, Keep It, and Get It Back (If You've Lost It)
  • 15 Successful Communications Lessons (Collection)
  • Business and Competitive Analysis: Effective Application of New and Classic Methods
  • Living Rich by Spending Smart: How to Get More of What You Really Want
  • Critical Thinking: Tools for Taking Charge of Your Professional and Personal Life
  • Marketing Metrics: The Definitive Guide to Measuring Marketing Performance
  • The Art of Asking: Ask Better Questions, Get Better Answers
  • The Rules of Management: A Definitive Code for Managerial Success
  • The Lazy Project Manager: How to be Twice as Productive and Still Leave the Office Early
Ken Blanchard, one of the most influential leadership experts in the world, is the coauthor of the iconic bestseller, The One Minute Manager, and 60 other books whose combined sales total more than 21 million copies. His groundbreaking works have been translated into more than 27 languages and in 2005 he was inducted into Amazon’s Hall of Fame as one of the top 25 bestselling authors of all time.

K
More about Kenneth H. Blanchard...

“Empowerment requires a major shift in attitude. The most crucial place that this shift must occur is in the heart of every leader.” 6 likes
“Empowerment means that people have the freedom to act. It also means that they are accountable for results.” 3 likes