Companions Of Paradise

Companions Of Paradise (Mariana Givens #3)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  24 reviews
In A Singular Hostage and A Beggar at the Gate, Thalassa Ali introduced us to the lush, intriguing world of nineteenth-century British India—and to Mariana Givens, a brave, beautiful Englishwoman. Now, as vengeful Afghan tribesmen close in, Mariana must face the repercussions of her marriage to a Punjabi Muslim, and choose between the people she calls her own—and the life...more
Paperback
Published December 4th 2006 by Headline Review

Jana
I liked the trilogy overall but by the end, the main character really annoyed me. The British were ridiculous with their costly arrogance. I really liked her husband and his family though.
Karen
I couldn't put this book down! It was such an interesting description of history! The details are exciting! It was also interesting to read some things about the Islamic religion and their beliefs and traditions. And there's a little romance, which is always nice. I liked the whole series.
Jenifer
Maybe 2 stars is a bit harsh. As is the case with most book series, it looses steam and there isn't much that can save it. Ending just didn't work for me.
Susanne
This is the third and final book in Thalassa Ali's romantic historical fiction series that began with "A Singular Hostage" and continued with "A Beggar at the Gate." I LOVED these books. What a fascinating look at the history of Pakistan, and the misguided arrogance of the British in 19th century India. The heroine, Mariana Givens, is most appealing, an awkward young woman sent to India in the hope that she'll finally find a husband, but who continues to be inappropriately interested in military...more
Donna
I learned much about Afghanistan around 1878 - 1880 when the British invaded from India and made fools of themselves and were slaughtered by the Ghilzai. And I learned more of the ways of the Followers of the Path at that time too. My Pakistani friends assure me that the history in this novel is accurate. If I make it to the British Museum some day, I'll defintely look for letters from some of the British who were in Kabul during this time.
Margaret
I love historical fiction - so this was fascinating. It relates the epic, nineteeth-century struggle between Britain and Russia for control of Central Asia. For all its remoteness and high, inaccessible mountains, Afghanistan ( think silk route) played an important role in this Great Game. I gave it a 3 because the love story was a little weird - but the history wonderful.
Kelly
Third in the series. I ordered this book and the second one from Amazon UK because I couldn't wait long enough for it to come out in the US! A satisfying conclusion to Mariana and Hassan's story, though I still wish for more!
Jenny Jeffries
Okay, it is a fitting end to the series. Not what I expected - more to do with our heroine's struggle than the emerging relationship, which I hoped for. Ne'er mind. A good yarn.
Maria
The best of the trilogy. Just a touch of romance, but mostly very interesting historical fiction. Fantastic descriptions of India/Afghanistan with a very helpful glossary.
Kara
I really enjoyed this series. It was a random find at the library and since I love a good historical romance, these were a nice surprise.
Rishi Saikia
From Publishers Weekly

The final installment of Thalassa's Paradise Trilogy (following A Singular Hostage and A Beggar at the Gate) finds Mariana Givens living within the confines of the British cantonment at Kabul in 1841, on the eve of the first Afghan war. An assassination attempt in Lahore thwarted by her husband, Hassan Ali Khan (son of a Sufi sheikh), has forced Mariana to leave Lahore, abandoning Hassan (and her stepson, Saboor). Mariana lives miserably in an English microsociety that do

Karen Lovell
Last book of the trilogy and I was just as captivated as the previous two. I love the mingle of history, mystism and the journey for peace that Mariana faces. The British aristocracy at the time gossiped about Mariana, she certainly raised a few eyebrows and I like the fact she feels so strongly and differently from the other mensahibs. The heroine is way before her time in the acceptance of other cultures and religions unconditionally. Very cleverly written and I just wish there were more as I...more
Ragna
The last part of three.
Liked it for the memories of my travels through India and the great 19th century India feel it gave me.
It won't replace the far pavilions though.. That one was much much better ..
Emily
I loved it till about the last ten or so pages. You feel the character grow in in this book and then at the end she reverts to her weaknesses as if she hadn't learned anything after all. Plus, it feels like the author didn't want to write the last chapter. Just as everything starts to resolve, it ends. I like my happy endings!!! Let me enjoy it for a few minutes!
Jen Evans
I loved this series. I loved the fact that it was historical fiction about an area of the world I know nothing about and a time period that fascinates me. I looked up some of the characters on Wikipedia and from what I learned on there the author is right on in how she developed them through the story. Wonderful ending to a wonderful journey.
Marie80
Конечно, ја комплетирав трилогијата!Не очекував баш така да заврши,да бидам искрена малку се разочарав бидејќи поинаку го замислував крајот, но сепак задоволна сум од сите три дела.И благодарам на мојата драга пријателка Вики од која ја добив книгата како подарок.
Tmny
I never felt quite invested in this book.

3 stars for beautiful descriptions and language, but the protagonist became way too annoying in the end to be able to hold the threads of the story together.
Patty
Marianna Givens travels with the Britsh army to Afghanistan and to their disastrous defeat in the mid 1880's. Her spiritualism grows as she accepts that she belongs with her Muslim husband's mystical family.
Jozo Mandić
Ne razumim, ovo e kraj?!? Kakav je ovo kraj?!?! Nakon jako dobrog uvoda i odlične druge knjige dobijem ovakav kraj?!?!? Veliko razočarenje. Stvarno veliko!!!
Lydia
Liked it--not quite as much as book #2 but still good easy fast read.
Taya
Slabija od prethodna dva nastavka.
Iman
Iman marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Bec
Bec marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Jayme
Jayme added it
Apr 10, 2014
Ivona
Ivona is currently reading it
Apr 09, 2014
  • The Fugitive Wife
  • The Trespass: A Novel
  • The Exiled (War of the Roses, #2)
  • Catherine's Heart (Tales of London #2)
  • The Queen's Handmaiden
  • The Mulberry Empire
  • The Splendor of Silence
  • The King's Favorite: A Novel of Nell Gwyn and King Charles II
  • The Witch of Babylon
  • Cinnabar Shadows (Dark Sun: Chronicles of Athas, #4)
  • The Tailor's Daughter
  • The Truth About You
  • Twilight of a Queen (The Dark Queen Saga, #5)
A Singular Hostage A Beggar at the Gate