Start by marking “The Boy Next Door” as Want to Read:
The Boy Next Door

Read Book

The Boy Next Door (Don't Read in the Closet Events)

3.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  220 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Official Description: As a boy, Kyle worshiped his teenaged neighbor Raymond; now Kyle’s a young man with deeper feelings. The casual meetings that sustained him will be over soon—Raymond’s parents are moving from the old family home.

The weeping willow tree in Raymond’s back yard is a place of transformations: from caterpillar to beautiful moth, from child to youth to adul
Published July 18th 2011 by M/M Romance Group @ Goodreads

To ask other readers questions about The Boy Next Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy Next Door

Exina
It was okay, nothing more...

CAS
Jul 19, 2011 CAS rated it it was amazing
I just loved Kyle, so earnest, so sweetly determined to win his man and prove to him he can and will be everything Raymond needs. And even IF Raymond "says" he doesn't know yet if he loves Kyle... Actions speak louder than words and he more or less said so in my mind when he made reference to how Heinlein defined love. :)

I too loved how the story came full circle with the cycle of the Luna moth.

Beautiful PD, this rates right up there for me with your Mountain Series!

Mandy*reads obsessively*
I have no memory of this story, even though I've read it. So I'm rereading it.

This is a cute, free short.
Kyle has always admired the older neighbor boy Raymond and somewhere along the way he fell in love.
Now all he has to do is take a chance and see if Raymond might see him as more than the little boy he used to be.
Eden Winters
What a lovely little short about taking a risk before an opportunity passes by. I really loved how the willow and the Luna moths figured into the story. A sweet, sweet, boy next door tale that left me saying, "Awwww..." And it's free!
Cryselle
Jul 19, 2011 Cryselle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
4.5 but rounding up because I liked them kissing under the willow tree.
Isabel
Nov 25, 2013 Isabel rated it really liked it
Shelves: erotica, m-m
Free, short and hot!!! Loved it!
L-D
Sep 27, 2011 L-D rated it really liked it
The Boy Next Door is a free novella about two men that grew up next door to each other. One man is quite a few years older, with about a 14 year age difference. The younger man has waited all these years to get a chance to show his feelings. A sweet story.

Don't Read in the Closet is a collection of short stories published for free for members of the M/M Romance Group. The best part of this series of shorts is that they were based on a photo and a reader request for a story. Here is the photo and
Marte
** 2 luna moth stars **

---------------------------
"Time will fix that. I've know who I am and what I want for a long time, Raymond, and I've known who I want almost as long."
---------------------------

I have no idea how to feel about this story.

Firstly, I read this story without having seen the picture prompt for this story. In the downloaded file with this anthology on my Kindle the picture prompts are not included. The pictures are instead described so you can get a feel of the picture. And r
Carole Cummings
Aug 03, 2011 Carole Cummings rated it it was amazing
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Didn’t care for the writing it felt distant to me and confusing. Took a while for me to know what character was which and had trouble following along with it.

[image error]
SueM
Jul 30, 2011 SueM rated it really liked it
I loved how you invoked the same tender determination found in the photo into your story. The willow tree and the Luna moth are lovely touches illustrating the natural and circular nature of their relationship. Beautiful!
Alex
Oct 19, 2011 Alex rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully sweet story that is beautifully drawn through the characters, the sex, and the surroundings. Something I could read again and again for the sweetness and for the sex.
Lucy
Sep 25, 2011 Lucy rated it really liked it
Very sweet tale of a young man, in love with his older neighbor for years, who finally goes after who he wants.
Rachel
Very sweet story and I love the age difference between the two characters. i want more!
Veronica /  V
Jul 02, 2013 Veronica / V rated it it was ok
Oh dear :(
The only thing that I like about this story is Thorny's request.
Sadonna
Jul 24, 2011 Sadonna rated it liked it
Shelves: free, mm
Beautiful story of friends to lovers. Very romantic but not sappy.
qx
Jul 19, 2011 qx rated it really liked it
3.5
Neyjour
Story Prompt:
Everyone keeps telling me I'm too young to really know what I want or who I am yet. Give it time, don't be rash. But it's all just noise -- just blah blah blah -- when I see him. He's older, wiser, experienced and he makes me melt every time he looks at me. He's what I want and his boyfriend is who I am. Well, I'm hoping that's where tonight will lead, anyway. I'm going to do my damnedest to seduce him, to show him I can give him the sweet and tender I'm betting he needs. He spend
Julesmarie
Jun 11, 2014 Julesmarie rated it liked it
Sweet friends-to-lovers story about a boy who grew up with a crush on the older boy next door.

Raymond just seemed to transition too quickly from protesting to fucking in his childhood bed.
Anjali
This story was readable for me,but I have read better short stories, the plot and the writing didn't make me feel anything for both Kyle or Raymond. ONE STAR
Lila Hunter
A really sweet short.
Amanda
Jul 08, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing
This is a very short story that quickly warms up in the bedroom (right before an open house!) and leaves everyone including the reader satisfied.
Two men, who have grown up next door to each other, give in to temptation despite an age difference. Naturally, post coital bliss gives way to talk of the future, and the reality that maybe this won't work/maybe it will.
Moments of truth, moments of doubt, wanting to please, and the readers secret hope that someone walks in on them. The Boy Next Door del
GlamLawyer
2.5 cute story
CB
Aug 14, 2014 CB rated it it was amazing
So sweet! What a lovely short story. A great lunchtime read - left me feeling great for the rest of the day. I will be looking for more from this author.
Monique
Jan 26, 2014 Monique rated it liked it
Cute but I've read better short reads.
Wendy Ann
Aug 03, 2011 Wendy Ann rated it really liked it
I love a determined guy - yay Kyle! I also appreciated Ray's concern about their age difference (even though it shouldn't matter) and insistence that Kyle keep going to school for his future. The whole story was just the right amount of sweet! A wonderful story, thank you!!!

Britta ★ Nachteule ★
Aug 18, 2015 Britta ★ Nachteule ★ marked it as to-read
Shelves: hot-summer-days
***Read as part of the free Don't Read in the Closet: Volume Three anthology. Story #21***
mw138
Jul 29, 2013 mw138 rated it liked it

Nice story, but Raymond seemed awfully dismissive and condescending at times. It started to grate my nerves after a while. Otherwise, the story was pretty cute.
Penny
May 28, 2012 Penny rated it liked it
Taking a chance on love. Enjoyable and cute. 3.5 stars.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Sink or Swim
  • Hidden Amongst Stars
  • Starting Over
  • Bear Naked
  • Hidden Needs (Secrets of the Sanctuary, #1)
  • Innocence to the Max (Iunctiō Cōpula, #0.5)
  • Beneath Your Wings
  • I Am the Highway
  • His Last Resort
  • Blindsided
  • Appearing Knightly
  • Surf's Up
  • Cody and the Hermit
  • Mourning
PD Singer lives in Colorado with her slightly bemused husband, two rowdy teenage boys, and thirty pounds of cats. She's a big believer in research, first-hand if possible, so the reader can be quite certain PD has skied down a mountain face-first, been stepped on by rodeo horses, acquired a potato burn or two, and will never, ever, write a novel that includes sky-diving.

When not writing, playing h
More about P.D. Singer...

Don't Read in the Closet Events (1 - 10 of 688 books)
  • Bobby's Christmas Gift
  • A Bugger to Pack
  • Christmas Gifts
  • Christmas in the Sandbox
  • Cocklebur's Christmas
  • The Conquerors (Zero-G wrestling)
  • Crying Wolf (Portals, #2.5)
  • D.N.A.: Double Helix