Start by marking “Bombsites and Lollipops: My 1950s East End Childhood: My 1950s East End Childhood” as Want to Read:

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  16 reviews
World War Two is finally over. Millions all over the country are starting to wonder if peacetime really is much of an improvement on the War. Food shortages, endless queues, power cuts, rationing and freezing winters make it extremely difficult to make ends meet as husbands return from battlefields to families they hardly know. Yet some East Enders are living large...in a ...more
Published June 1st 2011 by Not Avail (first published May 2nd 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Bombsites and Lollipops, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bombsites and Lollipops

Jane
Great nostalgic look back at post war east end of London. Characters that are no longer around and almost victorian. This was in an era of family values, ducking and diving, friendships and great changes from the aftermath of the blitz and slum housing conditions.
Wriiten in a almost present tense which was unusual but did not detract from the story.
Although nostalgic this is not a book looking through rose coloured spectacles this is warts and all.
Nicola
This book isn't really what I expected. Looking at the cover gave me the false impression that this would be more about the East End than it actually was. The truth is that Jacky didn't really seem have a typical East End childhood, and appears to have spent most of her early life trying to avoid the area and it's people.

I quite enjoyed the book, especially to begin with when she talked about her earlier childhood. I did feel my interest drop as she got older though. She is pretty honest and doe
Lisa Frost
Bit of social commentary about London after the war. Enjoyable
Kim
An account of the authors childhood growing up in the post war East End.
Alaine
Meh. The title was promising but I didn't feel the book delivered. Lots of clumsy sentences and awful punctuation but even with that, this was a better book than Call the Midwife.

I wanted to read about childhood in the post-war East End but a lot of the book was about a family life that didn't seem specific to the time and place, and I didn't find all the teenage stuff in the '60s to be all that gripping.
Karen
I was wandering around the library and picked this book up by chance and I am glad I did. I enjoy reading about London's past, especially the North and East End. It was a very quick read, and although it is set mostly before I was born, it still brought back to me many memories of being a child in the late 50s and 60s, and visiting my grandparents in Tottenham and Edmonton.
Judie
Loved this book. It took "chutzpah" to write about her father and her mother, as well as herself, in such a truthful manner. But I also loved the story of the 17-20 year old just starting out in the adult world. It brought back wonderful memories of my first steps as an adult.
Linda
Angela Gascoigne
I really loved this book. Couldn't wait for any opportunity to pick it up and read some more. I would highly recommend it to everyone.
Sidonie Ferguson
Great book, well written and tells an interesting story. having grown up and still living in the areas talked about myself gave me a whole different connection to the book.
Lucy
Not the book I was expecting. It's a biography more than a social commentary or history of the East End during that period. Well written but just not very interesting.
Pinkyjoanne
Absolutely brilliant book. Took you back to life in 1950 early 60's. in east end London, and jacky childhood and Jewish family life. :)
Leo Leibovici
Good read. Although her background is different from mine, I fond many familiar memories of the fifties.
Kathy
Loved this true story about the journalist, Jacky Hyams', childhood growing up in post-war Hackney.
Bridget Laatz
Great look into post World War London, insightful and memorable.
June Churchill
This book brought back memories of my childhood.
Gemma
Gemma added it
Apr 20, 2015
Becca Haynes
Becca Haynes marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Dawn
Dawn added it
Feb 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
2051832
History, especially the 20th Century, is a real passion for me. Yet I didn't start writing about it until quite recently because my career as a journalist and editor took up all my waking hours! I started out as a feature writer, in Sydney Australia, on magazines like Woman's Day, Cosmopolitan and Rolling Stone and my career as a columnist and movie writer took me all over the world for many years ...more
More about Jacky Hyams...
The Real Life Downton Abbey: How Life Was Really Lived in Stately Homes a Century Ago Bomb Girls: Britain's Secret Army: The Munitions Women of World War II Frances: The Tragic Bride Jennifer Saunders - The Biography The Female Few: Spitfire Heroines of the Air Transport Auxiliary