Start by marking “Facing the Son” as Want to Read:
Facing the Son

Facing the Son

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  38 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews

Kris Belcher knows firsthand how difficult it is to live in darkness. When blindness blocked her access to physical light, she discovered that spiritual light was her only means of survival. But access to spiritual light is directly connected to the state of our hearts, and life is full of spiritual light-blockers in the form of everyday emotions, attitudes, and behaviors

Published August 1st 2011 by Deseret Book

To ask other readers questions about Facing the Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Facing the Son

Megan
Jul 21, 2012 Megan rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Petrea
Recommended to Megan by: Ashley Boyer
Shelves: bookgroup
This is a collection of "essays" on different themes relating to "Facing the Son," meaning the "Son of God." The author is a woman who is blind, and became so as an adult, once she was married and had two children. She has overcome significant innumerable challenges medically, as well as adjusting to a life without sight. I cannot imagine the numerous ways that this complicates her ability to take care of her responsibilties at home. She is an inspiration for others. She speaks at Time Out for W ...more
Terisa
Mar 11, 2014 Terisa rated it liked it
A very simple look at ways we can reach for the Savior in a day to day setting. Very good but most of the stories she tells in her TOFW talks
Sadie
Jan 08, 2015 Sadie rated it it was amazing
One of the most inspirational and insightful books I have read in a long time. I think there is a little something for everyone.
Beth Pearson
Dec 11, 2011 Beth Pearson rated it really liked it
This book was in my pile of "to reads" and it moved to the top of my list cause I was teaching a lesson on Grace and this book appeared to be about our relationship with Christ. I was a bit nervous about making sure I taught truth in my lesson, so I did lots of reading that I normally wouldn't have.

With all I read however, this is the closest I came to something enjoyable. Kris Belcher's story of losing her eyesight as a young mother and wife and the lessons she has learned along the way---such
Amanda
Jul 17, 2014 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
This book was a quick but inspiring read. I loved it and took a great deal from it.
Eva Garlick
Jan 07, 2016 Eva Garlick rated it really liked it
Kris Belcher is a treasure. So wise, funny and real.
Lorena
Apr 29, 2013 Lorena rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It delves into pretty serious topics about how we might shut out spiritual light from our lives and how we can counter that by turning to Christ. But it does it with so much tenderness and humour and awareness of human frailty that it doesn't seem inaccessible.

Kris Belcher uses experiences from her own life to illustrate how to find light spiritually, even in her life with the physical darkness of blindness.

She is funny and spiritual and down-to-earth and inspirational.

I pla
Susan Hatch
Dec 12, 2011 Susan Hatch rated it it was ok
Altho I can only imagine how difficult it would be to go from even limited sight to no sight at all, and I do appreciate Kris' spiritual connection that has helped her get through these black days, I found it a bit of a therapy-written book and not exactly has I had hoped it would be.

But it is an excellent way to cling to truths she's been taught as she then learned them in blindness. It's a short book and perhaps it's my own blindness that made me not rate it higher. But at least she wrote a bo
Cyndi
Nov 24, 2013 Cyndi rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
A quick read that was full of pick me ups and encouragement to continue to try to be a better person. Kris's perspective is unique as she has gone blind and been seriously sick. She managed to use humor to get through embarassing or difficult experiences, giving a hint on how we can handle tough situations. "We only fail when we give up, stop striving and press forward." I sometimes need the reminder of all I have to be grateful.
Lori
Nov 21, 2011 Lori rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. She gave a lot of great advice for those who get discouraged and troubled with the various, difficult circumstances that can come up in life. She said that her favorite thing to say in her mind is "look up to God and live". Instead of looking up to the sun, look to the Son. (Look to the Son of God for help.)
Julie
Jul 08, 2014 Julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds-literature
A wonderful book. There were a few chapters that really spoke to me and my phase of life. Kris has a great perspective.
Kimberlee
Sep 12, 2011 Kimberlee rated it really liked it
This was a beautiful book I read for book club (where we only read LDS books). Written by a woman who loses her sight and her struggles to cope with physical darkness and find spiritual light. It is definitely an uplifting read.
Heidi
Jun 05, 2012 Heidi rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club
A quick read with some interesting stories and great suggestions of ways to focus your life on the gospel. Nothing too earth-shattering for me, but still an enjoyable book.
Tenille
Aug 12, 2014 Tenille rated it really liked it
This book was great! Kris teaches us how to not be spiritually blind, to face the Son, the Light in all we do. Great stories and reminders. Kris is an amazing woman!!
Erika B. (Snogging on Sunday Books)
I liked this book! Not loved but it was a good reminder to turn to God at all times!
Heather
Nov 15, 2011 Heather rated it liked it
Simple book, but good ideas and Kris Belcher has a wonderful sense of humor.
Ruth Ann
Apr 18, 2012 Ruth Ann rated it really liked it
She is so inspirational! Loved her insights and spirit!
Suzan
Nov 29, 2011 Suzan rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
The author sounds like an amazing woman!
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Connie
Connie marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Cassie
Cassie rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2015
Lois
Lois added it
May 11, 2015
Shelli N
Shelli N marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Meagan
Meagan rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2015
Nancy K
Nancy K rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Tj Hay
Tj Hay added it
Jan 08, 2015
Eleanor Roth
Eleanor Roth marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Devona
Devona marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Becky Littlefield
Becky Littlefield marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014