Blank-133x176
Poe: Collected Stories...

Edgar Allan Poe

Poe: Collected Stories and Poems

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  1,882 ratings  ·  109 reviews
Eighteen best-loved stories and poems. Everything from our volume Classic Poe plus The Pit and the Pendulum, The Murders in the Rue Morgue, Annabel Lee, and more.These fine recordings definitely deserve a prominent place in public schools and libraries. -Booklist
Audio CD
Published January 1st 2004 by In Audio (first published January 1st 1927)

Tom
The Collected Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe is a compilation of 66 short stories and some 50 poems. I seldom start a book that I don’t finish but continued reading was too oppressive…..

Eagerly I wished the morrow; and hope to end my borrowed sorrow
Eventually my soul grew stronger; hesitating then no longer
For the fact that I was napping in the throes of boring sagas
Gave me cause to cease my reading of this author’s dismal stories
Alas, I felt my mood improving as I discontinued reading
Then...more
Inder
I haven't read this whole book, but I did finally get around to reading "The Fall of the House of Usher" and "The Pit and the Pendulum" this past week. This is part of my half-hearted and slow-going effort to read some of the things I would have read in high school, had I stayed in high school rather than dropping out early to start community college.

My reactions:

(1) Wow. That is some F---ed Up S--t. Who knew? (Actually, anyone who attended all four years of high school, but anyway.)

(2) The ma...more
Sunny in Wonderland
PROSE
12. The Purloined Letter (★★☆☆☆)
14. The Fall of the House of Usher (★★★☆☆)
15. The Pit and the Pendulum (★★★★☆)
18. The Cask of Amontillado (★★★★★)
23. The Tell-Tale Heart (★★★★★)

POEMS
The Raven (★★★★☆)
Travis
Poe was a thoroughly messed up fellow, but his stuff is genius and he helped to create the detective fiction, science fiction and horror genres that we know today.

His poetry tends to be mopey and depressing, but his mystery stories are brilliant and his horror stories are still creepy as all get out.
Every story drips with atmosphere and while his characters can be a bit flat, he had a gift for creating fantastic places that felt real.
Anne Sting
The book "The Collected Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe" was absolutely amazing. I would recommend it to anyone who is a fan of Poe, or likes disturbing stories. Since there are so many short stories and poems in this particular book, I will just tell you about my favorite one, "The Black Cat."
In "The Black Cat" you met a man who has a very strong bond with animals. After getting married and adopting many pets--including one black cat--he begins to have many anger problems and becomes abusive...more
Nathan
Edgar Allan Poe lurks in the American pop cultural conscience: ravens, pits and pendulums, tell-tale hearts… To paint with a broad brush, most of us engage with him through a handful of visceral images (women murdered inside a locked room, offenders walled up in crypts) rather than with any kind of literary rigor. Obviously this potency has greatly helped Poe maintain the level of awareness he enjoys almost two centuries later. A critical assessment is necessarily quite a different undertaking,...more
Richard Epstein
As a poet, Poe ranks in my estimation right up there with Maya Angelou.
Gloria
First, the disclaimer. I did not read this entire book as I was specifically looking for the short stories "The Murders in the Rue Morgue" and its sequel "The Mystery of the Marie Roget." Haven't read Poe since high school a few decades back and am so glad I found an excuse to revisit his work. Poe (1809-1849) was a seriously brilliant author. In the last two decades we have seen a lot of television shows (CSI) and book series (Patricia Cornwell) focus on the tiniest of clues found in DNA and th...more
Chris Stanley
Great for the time of year! Some stories better than others, but a book to keep
Oswego Public Library District
Poe (1809-1849) was a seriously brilliant author. In the last few decades a number of television shows (such as CSI) and book series (by authors Patricia Cornwell, Jefferson Bass, etal) which focus on the tiniest of clues found in DNA and the decomposition patterns of a deceased body in order to solve a crime have fascinated legions of fans. Poe was way ahead of the game and it is so impressive that he knew of these issues. The crimes are serious and even shocking, but not described especially g...more
Tod Langley
I picked this collection of Poe's works out of a series of books collecting dust in our professional library at work. I had little interest in his older poems and stories but had immensely enjoyed the traditional favorites. A desire to increase my understanding of poetry development, and perhaps to encourage me to write a few poems myself, were the primary reasons for waging through the volume.

I have to admit, it was difficult to read more than a few works at a time. I found it interesting how P...more
Chad Warner
The whole book could take a while to read; it contains 73 of Edgar Allan Poe's tales, plus 57 of his poems. Many of them are macabre-themed. I started by reading through the table of contents and noting the ones with recognizable titles, and then read those. Later I went back and tried a few of the unknown ones. It was a pretty mixed bag; some of his works are excellent, and others are simply too strange or antiquated for my taste.

Here are the works I liked:
The Gold-Bug: the narrator joins a man...more
Scott
Poe is my favorite author of his era, and one of my favorites of all time. He obviously had a spark of genius in him (the poetry he wrote in his teens is better than what many so-called poets produce in their prime), but what greatness he achieved was, by all accounts, the result of considerable effort and struggle.

On balance I liked the poetry a bit more than the stories, though he created some excellent examples of each.

The only negative thing I can say about it is that if you've only read a h...more
Dani
I had already read and reviewed the tales of Edgar Allan Poe. Thus I will talk about the poems mostly.

I always prejudged Poe as a poet. I thought he was better at poetic prose, but after reading all of his poems, I must say he is equally brilliant at writing poems and twisted stories.

I love this man and I believe he is the precursor of mostly all the genres of literature (detective stories, satires, horror tales, adventure stories, romance, etc) His work is unimpeachable.

Through his poems, we se...more
Johanna
So this was a strange choice for me. But, the waiter we had at Great Wolf Lodge saw me reading my Kindle and asked if I had ever read any Russian writers. This is the writer he recommended. I found it difficult to read a play at first and I had to write down the characters on a piece of paper and keep it beside me as I read. Once I got into the hang of it I liked it. (Even though the melancholiness of the writing had me stopping after two plays.)
Michael
I have been reading this book on and off for several years now. Somewhere around 3 or 4 and I am finally finished. The Poe Stories that are well known, are of course quite good. Most of the other stories are not, though there are a few Gems hidden among the rabble. In my copy there are two Essays "The Poetic Principle" and "The Rationale of Verse." These two essays are interesting if you are a poet of more than casualness. Otherwise they are lengthy and quite boring(boring even if you are intere...more
Leslie
Edgar Allan Poe is one of my favorite authors. I love the complex diction and syntax of his writing style. And most of all I love the dark nature of his subject matter. For some reason I always find myself drawn to literature that is a little more heavy and dark. I find that I am drawn to stories that make me think; I want to feel something, be moved by what I am reading, and that isn't something you typically find in happy literature. And when it comes to dark literature, Poe fits the bill perf...more
J.L. McFadden
For myself,Poe had been one of my all time favorites since before I was a teen. "The Pit and the Pendulum" is still to this day one of my favorites.

Poe's dark and twisted imagination is only enhanced in this marvelously illustrated edition of his collection; inside the graphic stories are graphically represented by the artists who loved Poe. His stories to this day still entertainingly enticing.

Though be a warning to all, this is a full collection that even those of the highest constitution wi...more
Duronman
Loved some of the poems and tales, found really hard to read others (I am not a native English speaker). I still pick it up and re read some poems and tales.
Poe is a masterful poet and storyteller. It's no wonder he is considered a master of horror, inspired later science-fiction writers and is credited with being the father of the detective/ mystery genre. With that said, I loved many of his stories, particularly "The Black Cat," "The Tell-Tale Heart," "The Pit and the Pendulum," "Berenice" and "Ligea," and as far as poetry, "The Raven" always stands out to me as one of the best poems written to date. Overall, however, I grew tired of the collectio...more
Maggie
Poe was a mad genius. I'm a sucker for anything written by him.
Zara Smith
i love this book. Poe is my favorite author & this was a must have.
Marin
I read this for a Halloween book club. The concepts of the tales are way creepy and Poe had a wonderful pace and rhythm in his poems and in his tales (I love that they are called tales instead of short stories). All of these pieces of writing are best read aloud. I spent one of my favorite Halloween evenings listening to a delicious reading of "The Black Cat."

As for the writing itself: meh. I couldn't get past the feeling that Poe was trying to sound polished and erudite, and I think he might h...more
نزار شهاب الدين
I'm still reading this book, however, I have a lot to say already. Let me start by saying that every story presents a wonderful blend of novelty, eloquence, and genius. The poetry is very good as well. As for detective stories, I can clearly see the roots of Sherlock Holmes in Auguste Dupin.

Poe's knowledge seems to have been wide, he talks of and employs philosophy, mathematics, and physics, and other sciences quite knowledgeably.
M. Sembera
I read this book a couple of times a year. Poe is the master of tales, having a little don't be like that message and giving you the creeps! Most people are firmiliar with The Raven and Tell Tale Hert. My absolute favorite is and will always be The Black Cat. Edgar Allan Poe is now and will forever be my most coveted author. His writing is like nothing I have ever read before and for that he stands alone as a master of the written word.
Claudine
Jul 04, 2009 Claudine rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the faint of heart..
I slowly pick at this book until my eyes bleed, I love to disect the words and the meaning, reading is not a term which I associate to absorbing this collection of stories...sometimes I try to imagine what life would be like were these things true...

My father gave me this book and I try not to understand why, but that somewhere deep inside his soul he is still a small child with a love for the passion of true need.

luv you dad...
Mariam
Sep 27, 2007 Mariam rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people that have no friends
Shelves: theoldies
remember when you were a kid and were really into imagining your life in a cottage in a forest and you have magic powers and your really hot, but kinda epic and evil, and you have alot of miniature bottles of tonics and they clink when you add them to your brews and you wear cloaks and there is alot of moss everywhere and little patches of sunlight in the day and moonlight in the night inside your house? okay, me niether.
Ali
this book has some great features. harror,mystery,and it sort of makes u feeel nervous. it is interesting. and the hook really catches my attention. "true!nervous, ver,very, dreadfully nervous i had been and am, so why will u say that i am mad?! the disease had huanted my senses,not destroyed,not dulled them. above all the sense of hearing accute." (i memorized all this!) amzing! it really catches my attention.
Emily
just to start off, this is not the complete collection, just a comprehensive collection, which I should have paid more attention to.
that being said, it is a good edition of his work. the illustrations work well with the stories/poems and it is not so clustered for the most part as to make it frustrating to read (which most big editions like this are).
Liam Bury
I'm not a really big fan of Poe, but I did REALLY like a few of his poems. My favorites were "The Raven" and "The Tell-Tale Heart". We learned a lot about his life, too. A lot of bad and unfortunate thing happened to him which influenced his evil, sad-ending books. But the one that was VERY VERY VERY good, and more like a short story, was "Black Cat", which i would suggest to anyone to read!
  • The Collected Works of Oscar Wilde
  • The Arena Wars (Arena Wars #1)
  • The Riverside Milton
  • Father Brown: The Essential Tales
  • Legend Of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle
  • Tales of Angria
  • Climbing Parnassus: A New Apologia for Greek and Latin
  • The Poems of Robert Browning
  • The Hugo Winners Vol 1 and 2 1955-1972
  • The Complete Poetry and Selected Prose
  • Selected Poems (Dover Thrift Editions)
  • The Turn of the Screw/Daisy Miller
  • Who Killed Homer: The Demise of Classical Education & the Recovery of Greek Wisdom
  • Rudyard Kipling's Tales of Horror and Fantasy
  • The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath
  • The Poems of Exile: Tristia and the Black Sea Letters
  • Bumper Crop
  • Poems for the Millennium, Vol. 1: Modern and Postmodern Poetry from Fin-de-Siècle to Negritude
The name Poe brings to mind images of murderers and madmen, premature burials, and mysterious women who return from the dead. His works have been in print since 1827 and include such literary classics as “The Tell-Tale Heart,” “The Raven,” and “The Fall of the House of Usher.” This versatile writer’s oeuvre includes short stories, poetry, a novel, a textbook, a book of scientific theory, and hundr...more
More about Edgar Allan Poe...
The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings The Complete Stories and Poems The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Tales Essential Tales and Poems The Cask of Amontillado