Start by marking “Poe: Collected Stories and Poems” as Want to Read:
Poe: Collected Stories...

Edgar Allan Poe

Poe: Collected Stories and Poems

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  144,230 ratings  ·  1,456 reviews
Eighteen best-loved stories and poems. Everything from our volume Classic Poe plus The Pit and the Pendulum, The Murders in the Rue Morgue, Annabel Lee, and more.These fine recordings definitely deserve a prominent place in public schools and libraries. -Booklist
Audio CD
Published January 1st 2004 by In Audio (first published January 1st 1927)

To ask other readers questions about Poe, please sign up.

Wellington I love his writing, at the moment I´m reading the Black Cat. It´s realy,realy,realy fantastic.....

Mark
Jan 04, 2008 Mark rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone wanting to know exhilaration without being immersed in disgust.
How could I not love this book? Shortly after reading Poe's complete works as a teenager, my family was transferred to Fort Monroe in southern Virginia. While waiting for permanent housing, I ended up staying in the house (and the very bedroom) that Poe had been in while he served on the base. Pulling out this book and reading it in the very space where Poe had suffered through depression and anxiety was exhilarating. While I realized the morbid nature of my glee, it somehow seemed appropriate a ...more
Bailey Jane
Nov 25, 2008 Bailey Jane rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens, young adults, college, men, women, adults
Recommended to Bailey Jane by: Jane Sherry
Definitely not light reading, but perfect for the fall and winter. My grandmother bought this leatherbound collection for me when I was 12 or so and it took me 5 years or so to read it in its completion. I have to be in the mood to read Poe, but when I am it's the best reading in the world. Very dark and poetic. Great stories, and each story is just short enough to maintain attention span. I recommend this to anyone who appreciates a challenging read.
Mike (the Paladin)
I'm not sure how screwed up Mr. Poe really was as I have read that a lot of the criticisms of him were exaggerated. But screwed up or not the man could write. Fears and tears all are here for the reader.

I love Poe's writing. He's a voice that edges at times on madness (The Fall of the House of Usher) and sometimes IS the voice of madness (The Tell Tail Heart). Unlike the madness we find in H.P.Lovecraft Poe writes the actual man's madness. The madness of revenge for what may be a real or imagine
John Wiswell
May 25, 2008 John Wiswell rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horror readers, horror writers, poetry readers, gothic readers
Holy crap, it’s a brick of brilliance! This doorstop-sized volume contains the complete works of Edgar Allen Poe. The poetry, the essays, the short stories – you got it here.

Holy crap.

Pick this up and skim a few of his works and you’ll know whether or not you want it. If you’re studying authors, though, why wouldn’t you get this? It gives you unparalleled access to the complete artistic thoughts of one of America’s most important early writers.

In reading this I was surprised by how many good one
Arah-Lynda
The Master himself

It was many and many a year ago,
In a kingdom by the sea,
That a maiden there lived whom you may know
By the name of ANNABEL LEE
And this maiden she lived with no other thought
Than to love and be loved by me.

I was a child and she was a child,
In this kingdom by the sea;
But we loved with a love that was more than love-
I and my ANNABEL LEE;
With a love that the winged seraphs of heaven
Coveted her and me.

And this was the reason that, long ago,
In this kingdom by the sea,
A wind bl
Elizabeth Pyjov
'' If I felt any emotion at all, it was a kind of chuckling satisfaction at the cleverness I was about to display in extricating myself from this dilemma; and I never, for a moment, looked upon my ultimate safety as a question susceptible of doubt''

♫ "He finally made me a low bow and departed, wishing me, in the language of the archbishop in "Gil Bias," beaucoup de bonheur et un peu plus de bon sens"

My favorite quotes about Edgar Allan Poe: (there are a lot, but I found them very interesting, wr
Keely
Not many people outside of literary study or detective fiction fandom realize that the character of Sherlock Holmes was inspired by Poe's Dupin. Dupin was the brilliant and insightful idle noble who occasionally aided the authorities in particularly difficult cases. However, unlike Holmes, Dupin took it up merely as a hobby, mimicking Holmes' brother Mycroft.

I'm not fond of Poe's poetry. Emerson's leveling of 'Jingle Man' is appropriate. Poe puts sounds together, but usually says very little wit
April
Need I write a review in an attempt to praise this wonderful, wonderful man?
Poe is a genius. A total classic in every way - the stories still give me chills! I think my love of Poe will always lie in the beautiful way he writes poems, though. With works such as 'Israfel' and 'Annabel Lee' how could it not? Those days I spent idolising him in senior school were days well spent; a total masterpiece.
Jackson
While I haven't read the entire book, I have ventured through most of his works. I think Poe makes it safe to say that the usage of opium is sure to create some interesting situations.
Zachary Johnson
Ever since I became a slight reader, I had heard people talk of the Great and Horrid tales of a mad man at a typewriter. I always was told that I couldn't grasp the severity of the dark stories of this man. But, here I am. I have changed a lot since the times that I read books just to fill book reports. I feel bad about all of the times that I skimmed paragraphs of detail just to get to the dripping dialog. But here I am.

I know I sound like a drama queen in the paragraph above, but I feel like
kat
Having read all the well-known stories and poems, I dug into this tome with anticipation, expecting many of his more obscure works to be fully as good. But I was vastly disappointed.

As we all know, his horror stories are real gems. There's a reason he's called a master of the genre. And I much enjoyed (re)reading them.

But the rest of this volume is filled with some of the dullest writings imaginable. Meandering, pointless, filled with useless tangents. Stories which skillfully build up suspense,
Donald
Oct 27, 2007 Donald rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Edgar Allan Poe was probably the first writer to truly fascinate me. I remember reading "The Black Cat" and "The Tell Tale Heart" as a youngster and feeling as excited as I felt when watching a classic horror movie like "Dracula" or "King Kong." I'd never read anything like Poe, and I couldn't stop until I'd read all his stories. As an adult, I still enjoy Poe's stories, but understand that he had weaknesses as a writer (little characterization, sense of morbidity and foreboding that demands a f ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
This is sort of a "what more can you say" book, it's Poe. I was introduced to Poe when I was around 11 by a (young) school teacher. I suppose I never looked back and in a way it effected my taste in literature as I still like most types of fantasy reads and enjoy what is usually (somewhat loosely) called "weird" literature.

Edgar Allan Poe, a man who carved out the classic short story, the classic detective story all the while telling blood chilling stories that have been copied ever since. I hav
Let me clarify: some of the stories totally deserve four or even five stars. The Raven, The Black Cat, The Tell-Tale Heart. These are all famous for a reason. They're fantastic. But let me tell you, the stories you haven't heard of--they are, likewise, unknown for a reason. Oy, the tedium. Poe really really really liked to describe things. And sometimes that's literally all that he did. No plot, no characters, just descriptions. And because he does the macabre so well, it was a shock to the syst ...more
David
I must admit to having a soft spot for Edgar Allan Poe. He was the boon companion of my adolescence. Whilst others of my generation were developing the herd mentality and lavishing their time on football, chopper bikes and the Bay City Rollers, I was poring over The Pit and the Pendulum, The Fall of the House of Usher and The Masque of the Red Death. Call me underdeveloped, call me what the hell you like, but to my mind I was developing a taste for quality literature. And Poe is, whatever you ma ...more
Jean
The samples here are of stories which we would now class as "horror" or "suspense", but which Poe submitted to the public mainly as essays.

The Premature Burial (1844) by Edgar Allan Poe purports to be a factual account or essay. It tells of several cases where a person suffering from catalepsy was buried alive, some of which were discovered in time, some not. There is a strong attempt on the part of the narrator to convince the reader that, "truth can be more terrifying than fiction," in ord
Sam Quixote
Edgar Allan Poe is a writer whose reputation rests solely upon a handful of short stories and a poem; there are very few writers in the Western canon, or anywhere really, where this is the case. There's usually a novel that they're famous for and while Poe wrote a novel "The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym", it isn't particularly good and doesn't hold up to the short stories.

But what stories they are! They're all filled with madmen, murder, jealousy, betrayal, revenge, magic, death, hatred, ghost
Tom
The Collected Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe is a compilation of 66 short stories and some 50 poems. I seldom start a book that I don’t finish but continued reading was too oppressive…..

Eagerly I wished the morrow; and hope to end my borrowed sorrow
Eventually my soul grew stronger; hesitating then no longer
For the fact that I was napping in the throes of boring sagas
Gave me cause to cease my reading of this author’s dismal stories
Alas, I felt my mood improving as I discontinued reading
Then
Amy
I am perpetually reading this book, it used to have a big sign on it that said "for really big poops" but it got lost along the way. Although, the spirit of the book still remains and it lives in the bathroom with its other toilet brethren.

All that aside, this book is awesome, it has the good and the bad in one easy to read volume. The poems were stellar, but the stories that are unpopular are that way for a reason. They drag on seemingly endlessly, but I can't give all of them a negative review
Amanda DeNardo
I have only gotten through a handful of the poems and stories and will finish the others as soon as I get a chance. But as much as I have read, I absolutely love Poe. If you can come to grasp his crude writing style and place it into his life and the events within, you will most likely find his style of writing as wonderful and beautiful as I do. His life was very tragic in many respects, losing both of his parents and being adopted by a family where he felt his father never really, truly loved ...more
Frederick
I've read some of these stories. I haven't actually read them in THIS edition. I've generally read them in a multi-volume edition published in the 19th century. They certainly printed durable volumes then. The pages had twilight-blue borders. Among the stories I've read are:
"The Murders In The Rue Morgue"
"The Tell-Tale Heart"
"The Black Cat"
"The Cask of Amontillado"
"The Masque of the Red Death."
Poe is entertaining. On top of this, he was an innovator. He not only, essentially, invented the detect
GeekChick
Though I haven't finished the whole volume, I'm moving it off my "currently reading" shelf because I intend to intersperse it among my other books.

I am reading this in preparation for Daniel Pearl's book The Poe Shadow. I loved Dante Club, but it wouldn't have made any sense without having read Dante. So.....

Poe is a tad difficult if you're rusty on the Romantic-era English. But once you get past that his writing is masterful and engaging, and creepy!
Becky
Aug 16, 2008 Becky rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: literally everyone.
Recommended to Becky by: my love of all things gothic and macabre... does that count? LOL
Just purchased this book to replace a collection lost long ago after one of various moves... It will be delivered Wednesday! I am looking forward to this book immensely...

I haven't ready any Poe in so long, I imagine reading this will feel a bit like sliding your feet into a pair of warm slippers after standing in strappy stiletto heels for 18 hours... *sigh*
Sala Bim
I was given this collection as a birthday gift a couple of years ago and it is truly one of my greatest treasures! I have been a fan of Poe for as long as I can remember and this rich, dark, dense volume is an absolute MUST HAVE for fans.
Amber Adams

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
`'Tis some visitor,' I muttered, `tapping at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'

Ah, distinctly I remember it was in the bleak December,
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.
Eagerly I wished the morrow; - vainly I had sought to
Michael
Edgar Allan Poe reminds me of Hemingway; both intrigue me as people, and both lead interesting lives, yet their writing is a drag and bore.

A couple of stories were okay, don't get me wrong. But, he was terrible at writing prose. Just terrible. The flow of his clunky sentences gave me a headache; no real buildup or suspense was ever created, even in the better stories such as The Tell-Tale-Heart. A few of the stories were plain boring, without a plot to interest the reader. No wonder Twain said h
Larry
Jan 25, 2010 Larry rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of gothic horror,antiquarian and good writing!
Interestingly I have this book although mine is called The Penguin Tales and Poems,published by Bloomsbury Books. I entered my ISBN and got this edition, oh well…
Anyway I've only read a few stories so far but what I've read I've enjoyed. Not everyone will want all the poems or non-horror tales like Von Kempelen and His Discovery which is rather long winded and tedious but on the whole, great stuff! Pit and the Pendulumn, The Raven, Leonore and The Tell-tale Heart are superb pieces!
Veronica Bejarano
Que puedo decir de Edgar Allan Poe que no se haya sido ya? Es increíble y fascinante, llena de matices y de sorpresas. Una obra magnífica que te estremece y te convierte en parte de un humo literario misterioso en medio de sus obras. Altamente recomendable.
Ben
An influence on an array of artists from Jean Cocteau and Baudelaire to William Burroughs, Federico Fellini and the recently departed Lou Reed, Edgar Allan Poe was a writer of great import to not only America but the world. Yesterday, after spending all of the earlier part of this month immersed in the poetry and tales of Poe, I finally made by way to Poe’s “The Imp of the Perverse,” one of a handful of his stories that I had a previous acquaintance with, having read it many years ago after seei ...more
Favorite Story or Poem? 42 56 Nov 17, 2014 02:14PM
Poems 3 11 Apr 15, 2014 02:29AM
National Poetry Month 1 9 Apr 12, 2014 02:21PM
Should have read ...: The Murders at the Rue Morgue 8 52 Mar 20, 2014 12:47PM
Could you recommend another book similar to this one? ¿Conoces de otro libro similar a este? 12 37 Jan 25, 2014 06:20AM
ELA Class 350: Why We Love Horror and Mystery. 3 5 Dec 04, 2013 03:24PM
Goodreads Librari...: New cover 4 35 Nov 24, 2013 06:08AM
  • The Best of H.P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre
  • The Poetry of Robert Frost (Collected Poems, Complete & Unabridged)
  • Brigadoon (Vocal Score)
  • Jane Austen Seven Novels
  • Complete Works
  • The Fall of the Athenian Empire
  • The Martian Chronicles/The Illustrated Man/The Golden Apples of the Sun
  • The Collected Poems
The name Poe brings to mind images of murderers and madmen, premature burials, and mysterious women who return from the dead. His works have been in print since 1827 and include such literary classics as “The Tell-Tale Heart,” “The Raven,” and “The Fall of the House of Usher.” This versatile writer’s oeuvre includes short stories, poetry, a novel, a textbook, a book of scientific theory, and hundr ...more
More about Edgar Allan Poe...
The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Tales Essential Tales and Poems The Cask of Amontillado The Raven

“Years of love have been forgot, In the hatred of a minute.” 1333 likes
“Men have called me mad; but the question is not yet settled, whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence– whether much that is glorious– whether all that is profound– does not spring from disease of thought– from moods of mind exalted at the expense of the general intellect.” 1119 likes