Start by marking “Otis Spofford” as Want to Read:
Otis Spofford

Otis Spofford (Ellen & Otis #2)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  1,606 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Otis Spofford is tops when it comes to teasing. There's nothing Otis likes better than stirring up a little excitement in class. He can make a science project turn out all wrong. Without much effort at all, he can turn a folk dance fiesta into a circus. But nothing gives Otis as much pleasure as teasing Ellen Tebbits. Ellen is so neat and well-behaved--and she never fails ...more
Published 1953 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about Otis Spofford, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Otis Spofford

Beverly Cleary at her best. She takes Otis, the thorn in sweet Ellen Tebbits' side and makes him real and lovable. Love that Beverly.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Not my favourite Cleary story, but still good. You can see how schools have changed; kids no longer stand up at their desks to read or "recite", in third grade they have usually gotten past "Telling Time" into serious schoolwork. The "Mexican Fiesta" echoes the "Good Nieghbour Policy" current in the US at the time the book was published.

I went to school with a boy named Otis, and he too was the kind that liked to "stir up some excitement." My classmate Otis was dislexic before such things were
Mar 12, 2014 Irene rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elementary-school aged kids
Shelves: children
Aw, I guess Otis Spofford is alright. This is another book that I have clear memories of reading when I was a kid, but I'm not sure where it fits in in today's society.

In this follow-up to Ellen Tebbits, we get to know the troublemaker in Ellen's class, Otis Spofford. Surprisingly - and this is the genius of Beverly Cleary - I actually got to feel sorry for Otis. On the one hand, he purposely went looking for trouble - though he called it "excitement". He knew he was misbehaving, and he wanted
Nikinnia Smith garcia
This poor kid needs some Ritalin. Otis is very rambunctious, but sweet boy. He gets bored very easily, and he picks on the girl he has a crush on. My favorite part of the book is when the class does an experiment with the rats eating food from the cafeteria versus eating white bread and soda. Otis really grows to love the rat that is eating bread and soda whom he names Mutt. I like how Otis wanted to take care of Mutt. He even skipped lunch to feed Mutt because he thought he was not getting enou ...more
Kristine Pratt
How I love Beverly Cleary! Her stories are so matter of fact and yet they make the ordinary details of children's lives as compelling to us as they are to ordinary children themselves. Reading between the lines, Otis Spofford is too smart for his school, and he may also have a touch of ADHD. When he gets bored, which is often, he wants to "stir up a little excitement." He especially enjoys ruffling the feathers of one Ellen Tebbits, who is prim, proper and well behaved. One interesting thing abo ...more
Awwwright. As much as I was peeved at Otis in the previous book, well, all is forgiven. Otis has wormed his way into my heart, and I'm much more sympathetic to him here. This is, of course, Cleary's genius at work. I might like Otis better than anyone but Henry.

The narration was especially lovely. There were some glaringly dated parts, but one remembers when this was written, winces, and moves on.
I read this to my four- and seven-year-old daughters because they loved Ellen Tebbits. They loved Otis Spofford just as much. The reason I gave Otis 4 stars, while Ellen got 5 is because it annoyed me a little bit how Otis often got away with his shenanigans. For instance, when he tampered with the rat experiment, he was ultimately rewarded by receiving the rat as a pet. I know that technically, he got his "comeuppance" at the end, but that didn't really seem to make up for everything bad he had ...more
"Boys and girls in readers were always dopes. They were always polite and they never used slang and they hardly ever did anything they shouldn't...Dopes!"

—Otis Spofford, P. 140

This quote encapsulates a lot of the impetus behind Beverly Cleary's amusing story, "Otis Spofford".
The common theme that binds together most of these stories (the book is written more as a series of companion anecdotes rather than as one complete narrative) is that Otis is looking to stir up some excitement, and it is
Story Revolution

There was nothing Otis Spofford liked better than stirring up a little excitement, particularly at school. A less resourceful teacher than Mrs. Gitler would have found him pretty hard to take. But even Mrs. Gitler did not entirely relish the bullfight at the fiesta arranged for the P.T.A. meeting. Otis was disappointed at not being the toreador, but as the front half of the bull he managed to steal the whole show, to the annoyance of his classmates and his teacher. It was then that Mrs. Gitler s

Feb 19, 2012 Judy rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle grade girls who get teased by boys
Otis Spofford is the "bad boy" in the neighborhood. His mother is a single parent, the ballet teacher of the town, and is not home much. He first appeared in Ellen Tebbits, where he was fond of tormenting Ellen.

In this volume he gets his own story and is introduced like this: "There was nothing Otis Spofford liked better than stirring up a little excitement." He proceeds to stir up trouble at school and in the neighborhood but always weasels his way out. He clearly is in need of attention.

Mary Beth
The delightful tale of a rowdy, imaginative little boy who loves to stir up trouble... and how he gets his comeuppance. I simply adore the characters Beverly Cleary creates. They are a little bit of sugar, a little bit of spice, just a touch of vinegar, and positively bursting with personality.
This was so much fun to read aloud to my own little boy, who I have a feeling is going to be in future an Otis Spofford/Henry Huggins hybrid. I'm okay with this, though, since I tended to take a page or tw
Rebecca McCright
I loved this precocious boy and reading about all the mischief he got himself into. I really liked how Clearly set the book up so that each chapter could be a story all by itself. That makes it perfect for a small group lesson or a whole group read-aloud without having to read the whole book. Of course, the culminating events do depend on the character development throughout the book. I am looking forward to reading her other book, Ellen Tibbits.
This is another book that I gives me more ideas to prank my sister. Beverly clearly yet her book make you giggle and it is not enough to read it once you can read it many times I love how she add many details to the book this a book that can be read by any age even though she is a a adult she imagenied to be a kid and play pranks my favortatie charethers are otis and stewy
Amber the Human
Yes, Ms. Cleary, we get it. Otis doesn't have a father, and that's what makes him so difficult to deal with. Sigh. Oh, well, the book is interesting from a cultural level. And the way that his teacher deal's with him is nice to read - someone dealing with him on a level he understands.
Otis Spofford by Beverly Cleary is one of the funniest books I read. There are the fast parts and slow parts of the book, though. I enjoyed the conflict between Otis and Ellen and how that conflict grew steadily during the book. I recommend this to anyone who likes funny books.
Picked this up in the grade 3 classroom today and read it after school. Another spot on reminder why Beverly Cleary is truly an amazing author for elementary school children. Definitely relate-able for any 8 to 10 year old boy and anyone who knows one!
Nate LeBoutillier
Great character, that Otis Spofford. My kids loved him as much as I did when I read this in second grade in 1983. When he cuts Ellen Tebbets's hair that she's been painstakingly trying to grow into long pigtails? Ooh. What a moment.
Lars Guthrie
'There was nothing better Otis Spofford liked better than stirring up a little excitement.' So starts 'Otis Spofford.' Otis Spofford is an only and fatherless child who lives with his distracted working mother in a small apartment. Otis Spofford, playing cowboys and Indians (one of several anachronisms in 'Otis Spofford,' such as kids using the word 'keen') 'scalps' a classmate obsessed with growing her hair longer by cutting off a hunk of that hair. Otis Spofford meets the 'comeuppance' promise ...more
pretty entertaining, but stands out as dated in places, especially in regards to race political correctness
Just a trip down memory lane from the $0.50 shelf at McKays....back to my childhood, this book takes me. :)
Emily Mullen
It was a simple, childish book. It was well written, it's just more of a third grader type book.
Another audio book in the car with the kids. Had some pretty funny parts.
Lori Davidson
Wow, what a mischievous boy! Only Beverly Cleary could make his shenanigans somehow endearing. We all thoroughly enjoyed it, even my little boys.
One of the few Beverly Clearys I didn't read when I was a child. As a teacher, I love reading about the wily kid that always gets in trouble. It helps me connect with my own little hellions. Otis Spofford remind me of my sweet little C******* who once told me, with the utmost sincerity, that he wasn't cheating on his spelling test, but "looking at the spelling words in my desk to see how to spell them!" Um...that's cheating. He and Otis could be brothers!
Xiao Wen
I think Otis is a pitiful boy because when his classmates are choosing partners for dance, nobody choose him. However, he protects himself in a wrong way, this makes me feel he is too hyper. When nobody choose him, he stirs up his excitement. Otis is very different from others, he always stands in an opposite opinion with others. I think that he does that because he wants to grab other people's attention on him, and wants other people to care him more.
The Styling Librarian
Ellen Tebbits and Otis Spofford by Beverly Cleary – Realistic Fiction– in some ways each of these books almost feel like historical fiction — for 3rd grade and up – It was special to go back in time to the days when I read these books as a kid. I had this audiobook reserved that compiles numerous Beverly Cleary favorites in one play. I’m so happy to enjoy these old favorites. Highly recommended.
This book is 60 years old this year! I wonder if I read it as a child. I certainly read it to my 4th and 5th grade classes way back in 1968-70! Liam and I enjoyed it this summer for our 3rd book club selection. Otis is a very lovable and very mischievous boy who gets into trouble both in and out of school. I've met many Otises in my life, and many have been my favorite people.
The kid from Stephen King's Rage was merely Otis Spofford with zits, a pistol and erectile dysfunction issues. Beverly Cleary -such a dear- dug deep...climbed her darkest provide this early portrait of the man known by many names -many horrendous names- but y'all can just call him The Walkin' Dude.
Read this to my daughter this week (except the last chapter which she couldn't wait to read so she read it without me...had to read the last chapter by myself).

Still my favorite Beverly Cleary book. I must have read this book 20 times during my childhood and it still holds up to this day.

Loved it!
  • Soup & Me
  • Centerburg Tales: More Adventures of Homer Price
  • Paddington at Large (Paddington, #5)
  • Henry Reed's Big Show
  • Class President (An Apple Paperback)
  • Tree House Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #14)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Saves the Day
  • Horrible Harry's Secret
  • Harry Cat's Pet Puppy
  • Bummer Summer
  • Anastasia, Ask Your Analyst (Anastasia Krupnik, #4)
  • Trouble River
Beverly Cleary (born April 12, 1916) is the author of over 30 books for young adults and children. Her characters are normal children facing challenges that many of us face growing up, and her stories are liberally laced with humour. Some of her best known and loved characters are Ramona Quimby and her sister Beatrice ("Beezus"), Henry Huggins, and Ralph S. Mouse.

Beverly Cleary was born Beverly At
More about Beverly Cleary...

Ellen & Otis (2 books)
  • Ellen Tebbits (Ellen & Otis, #1)