Otis Spofford

Otis Spofford (Ellen & Otis #2)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  1,285 ratings  ·  55 reviews
There was nothing Otis Spofford liked better than stirring up a little excitement, particularly at school. A less resourceful teacher than Mrs. Gitler would have found him pretty hard to take. But even Mrs. Gitler did not entirely relish the bullfight at the fiesta arranged for the P. T. A. meeting.
Published 1953 by William Morrow

Betsy
Beverly Cleary at her best. She takes Otis, the thorn in sweet Ellen Tebbits' side and makes him real and lovable. Love that Beverly.
Irene
Mar 12, 2014 Irene rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elementary-school aged kids
Shelves: children
Aw, I guess Otis Spofford is alright. This is another book that I have clear memories of reading when I was a kid, but I'm not sure where it fits in in today's society.

In this follow-up to Ellen Tebbits, we get to know the troublemaker in Ellen's class, Otis Spofford. Surprisingly - and this is the genius of Beverly Cleary - I actually got to feel sorry for Otis. On the one hand, he purposely went looking for trouble - though he called it "excitement". He knew he was misbehaving, and he wanted...more
Melody
Awwwright. As much as I was peeved at Otis in the previous book, well, all is forgiven. Otis has wormed his way into my heart, and I'm much more sympathetic to him here. This is, of course, Cleary's genius at work. I might like Otis better than anyone but Henry.

The narration was especially lovely. There were some glaringly dated parts, but one remembers when this was written, winces, and moves on.
Josiah
"Boys and girls in readers were always dopes. They were always polite and they never used slang and they hardly ever did anything they shouldn't...Dopes!"

—Otis Spofford, P. 140

This quote encapsulates a lot of the impetus behind Beverly Cleary's amusing story, "Otis Spofford".
The common theme that binds together most of these stories (the book is written more as a series of companion anecdotes rather than as one complete narrative) is that Otis is looking to stir up some excitement, and it is...more
Story Revolution

There was nothing Otis Spofford liked better than stirring up a little excitement, particularly at school. A less resourceful teacher than Mrs. Gitler would have found him pretty hard to take. But even Mrs. Gitler did not entirely relish the bullfight at the fiesta arranged for the P.T.A. meeting. Otis was disappointed at not being the toreador, but as the front half of the bull he managed to steal the whole show, to the annoyance of his classmates and his teacher. It was then that Mrs. Gitler s

Judy
Feb 19, 2012 Judy rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle grade girls who get teased by boys
Otis Spofford is the "bad boy" in the neighborhood. His mother is a single parent, the ballet teacher of the town, and is not home much. He first appeared in Ellen Tebbits, where he was fond of tormenting Ellen.

In this volume he gets his own story and is introduced like this: "There was nothing Otis Spofford liked better than stirring up a little excitement." He proceeds to stir up trouble at school and in the neighborhood but always weasels his way out. He clearly is in need of attention.

Eventu...more
Mary Beth
The delightful tale of a rowdy, imaginative little boy who loves to stir up trouble... and how he gets his comeuppance. I simply adore the characters Beverly Cleary creates. They are a little bit of sugar, a little bit of spice, just a touch of vinegar, and positively bursting with personality.
This was so much fun to read aloud to my own little boy, who I have a feeling is going to be in future an Otis Spofford/Henry Huggins hybrid. I'm okay with this, though, since I tended to take a page or tw...more
Amber the Human
Yes, Ms. Cleary, we get it. Otis doesn't have a father, and that's what makes him so difficult to deal with. Sigh. Oh, well, the book is interesting from a cultural level. And the way that his teacher deal's with him is nice to read - someone dealing with him on a level he understands.
Nate LeBoutillier
Great character, that Otis Spofford. My kids loved him as much as I did when I read this in second grade in 1983. When he cuts Ellen Tebbets's hair that she's been painstakingly trying to grow into long pigtails? Ooh. What a moment.
Lars Guthrie
'There was nothing better Otis Spofford liked better than stirring up a little excitement.' So starts 'Otis Spofford.' Otis Spofford is an only and fatherless child who lives with his distracted working mother in a small apartment. Otis Spofford, playing cowboys and Indians (one of several anachronisms in 'Otis Spofford,' such as kids using the word 'keen') 'scalps' a classmate obsessed with growing her hair longer by cutting off a hunk of that hair. Otis Spofford meets the 'comeuppance' promise...more
Anna
Just a trip down memory lane from the $0.50 shelf at McKays....back to my childhood, this book takes me. :)
Lori Davidson
Wow, what a mischievous boy! Only Beverly Cleary could make his shenanigans somehow endearing. We all thoroughly enjoyed it, even my little boys.
Karen
One of the few Beverly Clearys I didn't read when I was a child. As a teacher, I love reading about the wily kid that always gets in trouble. It helps me connect with my own little hellions. Otis Spofford remind me of my sweet little C******* who once told me, with the utmost sincerity, that he wasn't cheating on his spelling test, but "looking at the spelling words in my desk to see how to spell them!" Um...that's cheating. He and Otis could be brothers!
Xiao Wen
I think Otis is a pitiful boy because when his classmates are choosing partners for dance, nobody choose him. However, he protects himself in a wrong way, this makes me feel he is too hyper. When nobody choose him, he stirs up his excitement. Otis is very different from others, he always stands in an opposite opinion with others. I think that he does that because he wants to grab other people's attention on him, and wants other people to care him more.
The Styling Librarian
Ellen Tebbits and Otis Spofford by Beverly Cleary – Realistic Fiction– in some ways each of these books almost feel like historical fiction — for 3rd grade and up – It was special to go back in time to the days when I read these books as a kid. I had this audiobook reserved that compiles numerous Beverly Cleary favorites in one play. I’m so happy to enjoy these old favorites. Highly recommended.
Elisabeth
Elisabeth marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Penny
This book is 60 years old this year! I wonder if I read it as a child. I certainly read it to my 4th and 5th grade classes way back in 1968-70! Liam and I enjoyed it this summer for our 3rd book club selection. Otis is a very lovable and very mischievous boy who gets into trouble both in and out of school. I've met many Otises in my life, and many have been my favorite people.
R.
The kid from Stephen King's Rage was merely Otis Spofford with zits, a pistol and erectile dysfunction issues. Beverly Cleary -such a dear- dug deep...climbed her darkest tower...to provide this early portrait of the man known by many names -many horrendous names- but y'all can just call him The Walkin' Dude.
Scott
Read this to my daughter this week (except the last chapter which she couldn't wait to read so she read it without me...had to read the last chapter by myself).

Still my favorite Beverly Cleary book. I must have read this book 20 times during my childhood and it still holds up to this day.

Loved it!
Zarakoda
I know it has been many long years since I reread this book, but I remember it very well and am certain I will love it just as much as I did in second and fourth grade. Otis Spofford's mischievous adventures really are hilarious, especially concerning the bull fight ("Ouch!").
Collin
This is a very fun book. its very funny and very relatable. the author beverly cleary is very creative with the different sittuations i recomend this book if you are lookin for a comedy, even though it is a little more geared tword elementry age kids its still a fun book
Tracy
I just finished reading this to my daughter, and we enjoyed it much more than Ellen Tebbets. Though Ottis is a bully, he is good-natured (just desperate for a little attention). We laughed out loud all the way through. :)
Shelter Somerset
This was the very first chapter book I ever read. I remember reading under the covers with a flashlight so that my parents wouldn't know I was staying up late. This was the definitive book that made me want to be a writer.
Jen
otis is the class bully and always looking for excitement. he picks on Ellen tebbits throughout the book and by the end of the book the whole class has turned on him and helps Ellen tebbits tease otis and get her revenge.
HeavyReader
Jun 24, 2007 HeavyReader rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of spunky kids
Otis is a naughty boy. As a child I got a vicarious thrill in reading of his escapades because I knew I'd never do the things he did. Not my favorite Beverly Cleary book, but I did enjoy reading it.
Tricia Price
An interesting perspective, from the bully's point of view. Somewhat dated, but has timeless themes. I loved when the teacher made him spit spitwads in the trash can for hours as punishment.
Krissy
you can't really go wrong with a book that starts out saying that the main character always likes to "stir up a little excitement." why did i not know about this book as a child?!
Annette
Favorite book of boys and girls all over the world. I love Otis, I've taught a number of Otis.'
Was a great read aloud and great story for reluctant readers.
Catherine Woodman
Beverly Cleary was on eof the favorites of my childhood, and while my kids were less attached to her, they still enjoyed her books--this is a good one.
Katherine
This book was hilarious. I was in ballet at the time that I read it, so I really related to Ellen and the teasing that Otis gives her. Such a cute book!
  • Soup and Me
  • Henry Reed, Inc.
  • Centerburg Tales: More Adventures of Homer Price
  • Ralph S. Mouse: teacher guide
  • Tree House Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #14)
  • Anastasia on Her Own (Anastasia Krupnik, #5)
  • Horrible Harry's Secret
  • Paddington at Large (Paddington, #5)
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Farm
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Disgusting Sneakers (Encyclopedia Brown, #18)
  • The Corn Grows Ripe
  • Harry Cat's Pet Puppy
  • Sixth Grade Can Really Kill You
  • Amber Brown Sees Red
Beverly Cleary (born April 12, 1916) is the author of over 30 books for young adults and children. Her characters are normal children facing challenges that many of us face growing up, and her stories are liberally laced with humour. Some of her best known and loved characters are Ramona Quimby and her sister Beatrice ("Beezus"), Henry Huggins, and Ralph S. Mouse.

Beverly Cleary was born Beverly At...more
More about Beverly Cleary...
Beezus and Ramona (Ramona, #1) Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona, #6) The Mouse and the Motorcycle (Ralph S. Mouse, #1) Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2) Ramona the Brave (Ramona, #3)