Start by marking “Sylvie and Bruno Concluded (1893)” as Want to Read:
Sylvie and Bruno Concluded (1893)

Sylvie and Bruno Concluded (Sylvie and Bruno #2)

This scarce antiquarian book is a selection from Kessinger Publishing's Legacy Reprint Series. Due to its age, it may contain imperfections such as marks, notations, marginalia and flawed pages. Because we believe this work is culturally important, we have made it available as part of our commitment to protecting, preserving, and promoting the world's literature. Kessinger ...more
Published September 10th 2010 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1893)

To ask other readers questions about Sylvie and Bruno Concluded, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sylvie and Bruno Concluded

Fabian
Sep 01, 2009 Fabian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you haven't read the first one.... do NOT bother. & if you have read Sylvie and Bruno 1, well, don't bother either.

I think I've had a fine time reading the four novels Carroll produced. This one continues the tale of the mystical children/fairies, and the main character, after 50 chapters (25 for each novel), is an undoubted pedophile! Why else mix in adult attitudes with the purity and naivete of children? Why have them make cameos at the strangest of interludes?

I do not understand the
Manny
Jan 13, 2012 Manny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite Lewis Carroll passages is to be found in this undeservedly forgotten book. If you don't already know what Black Light is, read on:
"Our Second Experiment", the Professor announced, as Bruno returned to his place, still thoughtfully rubbing his elbows, "is the production of that seldom-seen-but-greatly-to-be-admired phenomenon, Black Light! You have seen White Light, Red Light, Green Light, and so on: but never, till this wonderful day, have any eyes but mine seen Black Light! T
King Ævil
It is no surprise that the Sylvie and Bruno stories aren't among Lewis Carroll's most famous, but I wasn't disappointed by them. Their balance between reality and fantasy is weighted much more heavily toward reality than are the Alice books, but fortunately that doesn't stifle Carroll's flair for silliness as much as you might expect.

Mister Sir, the narrator, reminds me just a tiny bit of Carlos Castaneda in The Teachings of Don Juan in that he drifts back and forth among several alternate and o
Marian
Sep 01, 2013 Marian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lewis Carroll fans
Shelves: favorites
If you thought Sylvie and Bruno ended a little abruptly, you thought correctly. In this sequel, Carroll brings closure to his characters and their plotlines, from the unhappy Dr. Forester to sweet-natured Sylvie (and even Prince Uggug). I found it to be a little less humorous than book 1, but still greatly moving and, as before, a brilliant combination of nonsense and serious social commentary. Highly recommend reading this right after the first book, since together they form the complete story.
Miranda
Jun 22, 2010 Miranda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful story. Sometimes a bit hard to follow until you get used to switching back and forth between reality and the "eerie" states where Sylvie, Bruno, and the rest reside. Christian overtones are present, but not so overbearing that one can't take a general lesson or two from them. It's quite sad that this book isn't better known. Or maybe it's just me that had never heard of it. Alice is great and all, but mischevious Bruno has completely won my heart.
Angie
This is a strange hodge-podge of sentimental stories of fairies/children, nonsense stories & verse, and pseudo-scientific & theological dialogues. I went ahead and put it on my "young readers" shelf because I think it is meant for young readers, I'm just not sure how much they might enjoy some of the conversations of the adult/human characters. In the introduction Carroll says that he created the Sylvie and Bruno stories by collecting random thoughts and dialogues he had or thought about ...more
Aaron
Nov 04, 2009 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was very excellent. I think it is Lewis Carroll at his best. Yes, better then the Alice series put together. This story definitely has a healthy dose of what is reality and what is fantasy/dream. Some stories can over-react with that issue but this is perfect. And when these two worlds collide there seems to be harmony to it. It definitely is one of his more Christian oriented stories as well as his best.
Celeste Spangler
The second half of the story - not terribly different than the first, only it did come to some conclusion. Bruno's baby speech was getting pretty tiresome by the end. The philosophical points in this half seemed to be a bit deeper than the first. But again, if you try to think too hard about the storyline you'll just make your head hurt. Don't try to make sense out of the whole thing (like most of Carroll's work, it seems) and it's a passably interesting read.
Alda Nielsdottir
This book was weird. It made no sense 80 percent of the time but it did have some interesting and funny pieces of dialogue among its many pages and Bruno was an adorable little boy with such an interesting way to look at things and sometimes take them too literally. And the relationship between Bruno and Sylvie was adorable.
Danger Kallisti
Feb 12, 2008 Danger Kallisti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children; fans of Brit-lit, allegory, grotesques, and surrealism
Shelves: brit-lit
Not really much more to say here; it's just the sequel. It carried on with the marvelous, psychedelic weirdness and safe, child-friendly Christianity. I have to admit that I was pretty sick of Lewis Carroll by the time I neared the end, but it all wrapped up prettily enough that in the end I didn't mind.
Roxanne
It was a quaint little story, and a darling one at that. Because of that, though, I didn't find myself dying to get back to it and took a long while to finish it. But each time I picked it up again, I remembered how whimsical and endearing it is. Overall I thought it a nice little book to read on a lazy day with a cup of tea, but not the sort one would stay up all night to finish.
Maggie
Aug 29, 2012 Maggie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
another great children's book that adults can enjoy also. i had a continued echo that perhaps john crowley's little, big may have spun off of this lewis carroll jewel. a fine pedigree if so, imo.
Gül Yıldız
Best quote of the book: "When a man's tipsy (that's one extreme, you know), he sees one thing as two. But, when he's extremely sober (that's the other extreme), he sees two things as one. It's equally inconvenient, whichever happens."
Samantha
Mar 25, 2013 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It did turn out to be quite a sweet story. It is hard to follow sometimes, and I do wish that the separate worlds were more clearly entered into. Overall, I enjoyed it and I'm glad I took the time to embark on a new Lewis Carroll story.
Alysta
May 04, 2013 Alysta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great ending!
Lis Katrine Albers
Even better than the first book of Sylvie and Bruno! The feels at the ending! asdfgjjædoiejfnfiwn
Lindsay
Oct 03, 2008 Lindsay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, children, z2008
Once again Bruno is a delightful and adorable character. The movement from the faerie to the mundane world gives both stories a dreamlike character.
Kristen
Kristen rated it liked it
May 15, 2016
Igolder
Igolder rated it did not like it
Apr 21, 2010
Megan Drude
Megan Drude rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2012
Catherine Truslow
Catherine Truslow rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2015
Ian
Ian rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2016
Caedmon Gregor
Caedmon Gregor rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2016
Lloyd McNamara
Lloyd McNamara rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2015
Jenna
Jenna rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2011
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2010
S. M.
S. M. rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2010
Nader
Nader rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, better known by the pen name Lewis Carroll, was an English author, mathematician, logician, Anglican clergyman and photographer.

His most famous writings are Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and its sequel Through the Looking-Glass as well as the poems "The Hunting of the Snark" and "Jabberwocky", all considered to be within the genre of literary nonsense.

Oxfo
More about Lewis Carroll...

Sylvie and Bruno (2 books)
  • Sylvie and Bruno

“It’s a miserable story!” said Bruno. “It begins miserably, and it ends miserablier. I think I shall cry. Sylvie, please lend me your handkerchief.”

“I haven’t got it with me,” Sylvie whispered.

“Then I won’t cry,” said Bruno manfully.”
11 likes