Sylvie and Bruno Concluded (1893)

Sylvie and Bruno Concluded (1893)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  17 reviews
This scarce antiquarian book is a selection from Kessinger Publishing's Legacy Reprint Series. Due to its age, it may contain imperfections such as marks, notations, marginalia and flawed pages. Because we believe this work is culturally important, we have made it available as part of our commitment to protecting, preserving, and promoting the world's literature. Kessinger...more
Published September 10th 2010 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1899)

To ask other readers questions about Sylvie and Bruno Concluded, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sylvie and Bruno Concluded

Manny
One of my favorite Lewis Carroll passages is to be found in this undeservedly forgotten book. If you don't already know what Black Light is, read on:
"Our Second Experiment", the Professor announced, as Bruno returned to his place, still thoughtfully rubbing his elbows, "is the production of that seldom-seen-but-greatly-to-be-admired phenomenon, Black Light! You have seen White Light, Red Light, Green Light, and so on: but never, till this wonderful day, have any eyes but mine seen Black Light! T
Rob
It is no surprise that the Sylvie and Bruno stories aren't among Lewis Carroll's most famous, but I wasn't disappointed by them. Their balance between reality and fantasy is weighted much more heavily toward reality than are the Alice books, but fortunately that doesn't stifle Carroll's flair for silliness as much as you might expect.

Mister Sir, the narrator, reminds me just a tiny bit of Carlos Castaneda in The Teachings of Don Juan in that he drifts back and forth among several alternate and o...more
Marian
Oct 20, 2013 Marian rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lewis Carroll fans
Shelves: favorites
If you thought Sylvie and Bruno ended a little abruptly, you thought correctly. In this sequel, Carroll brings closure to his characters and their plotlines, from the unhappy Dr. Forester to sweet-natured Sylvie (and even Prince Uggug). I found it to be a little less humorous than book 1, but still greatly moving and, as before, a brilliant combination of nonsense and serious social commentary. Highly recommend reading this right after the first book, since together they form the complete story.
Miranda Roper
A wonderful story. Sometimes a bit hard to follow until you get used to switching back and forth between reality and the "eerie" states where Sylvie, Bruno, and the rest reside. Christian overtones are present, but not so overbearing that one can't take a general lesson or two from them. It's quite sad that this book isn't better known. Or maybe it's just me that had never heard of it. Alice is great and all, but mischevious Bruno has completely won my heart.
Angie
This is a strange hodge-podge of sentimental stories of fairies/children, nonsense stories & verse, and pseudo-scientific & theological dialogues. I went ahead and put it on my "young readers" shelf because I think it is meant for young readers, I'm just not sure how much they might enjoy some of the conversations of the adult/human characters. In the introduction Carroll says that he created the Sylvie and Bruno stories by collecting random thoughts and dialogues he had or thought about...more
Fabian
If you haven't read the first one.... don't bother. And if you have, well, don't bother either.

I think I've had a fine time reading the four novels Carroll produced. This one continues the tale of the mystical children/fairies, and the main character, after 50 chapters (25 for each novel), is an undoubted pedophile! Why else mix in adult attitudes with the purity and naivete of children? Why have them make cameos at the strangest interludes?

I do not understand the madness. "Sylvie and Bruno" ar...more
Aaron
This was very excellent. I think it is Lewis Carroll at his best. Yes, better then the Alice series put together. This story definitely has a healthy dose of what is reality and what is fantasy/dream. Some stories can over-react with that issue but this is perfect. And when these two worlds collide there seems to be harmony to it. It definitely is one of his more Christian oriented stories as well as his best.
Roxanne
It was a quaint little story, and a darling one at that. Because of that, though, I didn't find myself dying to get back to it and took a long while to finish it. But each time I picked it up again, I remembered how whimsical and endearing it is. Overall I thought it a nice little book to read on a lazy day with a cup of tea, but not the sort one would stay up all night to finish.
Danger Kallisti
Feb 12, 2008 Danger Kallisti rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children; fans of Brit-lit, allegory, grotesques, and surrealism
Shelves: brit-lit
Not really much more to say here; it's just the sequel. It carried on with the marvelous, psychedelic weirdness and safe, child-friendly Christianity. I have to admit that I was pretty sick of Lewis Carroll by the time I neared the end, but it all wrapped up prettily enough that in the end I didn't mind.
Samantha
It did turn out to be quite a sweet story. It is hard to follow sometimes, and I do wish that the separate worlds were more clearly entered into. Overall, I enjoyed it and I'm glad I took the time to embark on a new Lewis Carroll story.
Gül Yıldız
Best quote of the book: "When a man's tipsy (that's one extreme, you know), he sees one thing as two. But, when he's extremely sober (that's the other extreme), he sees two things as one. It's equally inconvenient, whichever happens."
Maggie
another great children's book that adults can enjoy also. i had a continued echo that perhaps john crowley's little, big may have spun off of this lewis carroll jewel. a fine pedigree if so, imo.
Lindsay
Once again Bruno is a delightful and adorable character. The movement from the faerie to the mundane world gives both stories a dreamlike character.
Lis Albers
Even better than the first book of Sylvie and Bruno! The feels at the ending! asdfgjjædoiejfnfiwn
Bridget
Bridget marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Bernard
Bernard marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Rosie
Rosie marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Isaac White
Isaac White marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Jackinator
Jackinator marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Yashwin Kumar
Yashwin Kumar marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
The Rev. Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, better known by the pen name Lewis Carroll, was an English author, mathematician, logician, Anglican clergyman and photographer.

His most famous writings are Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and its sequel Through the Looking-Glass as well as the poems "The Hunting of the Snark" and "Jabberwocky", all considered to be within the genre of literary nonsense.

Oxford s...more
More about Lewis Carroll...
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass Alice in Wonderland (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland #1) Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland #2) Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Other Stories The Complete Stories and Poems