Start by marking “Extra Yarn (E. B. White Read-Aloud Award. Picture Books)” as Want to Read:
Extra Yarn (E. B. White Read-Aloud Award. Picture Books)

Extra Yarn (E. B. White Read-Aloud Award. Picture Books)

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  12,184 Ratings  ·  1,252 Reviews
This looks like an ordinary box full of ordinary yarn.

But it turns out it isn't.
Published January 17th 2012 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Extra Yarn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Extra Yarn

Melki
Jun 12, 2016 Melki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, girl-power
Barnett presents a delightful tale yarn about the exploits of a young yarn-bomber.
(Psst- Jon Klassen's illustrations steal the show.)

description

Even more amazing to me than her never-ending supply of worsted is Annabelle's apparent speed-knitting ability.

description
Just look at all those yarn-covered structures!

And to think I still haven't finished the sweater I started back in 1986!
Kaley
Oct 10, 2011 Kaley rated it it was amazing
I love everything about this book. Everything.

Annabelle lives in a cold, colorless town where everything is covered with snow and soot. One day, she comes upon a box of colorful yarn, and knits herself a sweater. When she's finished, she knits one for her dog. When she's finished with that, she still has extra yarn. In fact, Annabelle's colorful yarn seems to be never-ending, and she knits and knits and knits until her town and all the people in it are adorned with Annabelle's colorful creation
Lisa Vegan
Nov 19, 2012 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
I chuckled, I smiled, and I was touched. I wasn’t that fond of the last few pages. I think the story was going along fine as it was, but overall I still really enjoyed the book.

The story was fun. It’s a sweet and very amusing story. I loved Annabelle and her dog Mars. Mars caught my attention right away. I love Annabelle’s expression of independence and her self-assuredness, and her generosity. I love the wackiness that’s present throughout the story.

I loved, loved, loved the artwork for this b
Lanea
Nov 16, 2012 Lanea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiber_arts, kid-lit

This book is adorable. Also, this book is clearly part of a conspiracy to make knitters make tons of stuff for other people who don't knit. It is known.
Mar 18, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books

Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett reads like an old school fairy tale or legend. A magical story spun with quirkiness and quiet humor.

Annabelle finds some extra yarn in a box, so she knits, knits, and knits sweaters and more for everyone in and around her town. She gives and gives. Decorates and decorates. Smiles and smiles. The yarn box is never empty. Is it magic? Is it a trick? Is it true? You decide.

Jon Klassen’s illustrations complement Annabelle’s adventures in yarn perfectly. Bringing the yarn c
Patricia Storms
Jan 07, 2013 Patricia Storms rated it it was amazing
An amazing story about the power of creativity, yes, but there is much more to this magical book. It's also about letting your own lovely light shine, regardless of the the cynicism & negativity of others. And be aware – there will be those who covet your light, and who will do what it takes to steal, control or crush it.

This book is about staying true to one's beliefs, & quite frankly, not 'letting the bastards get you down'. Yes, the art is astounding, but it's the message of the story
Robert
Mar 12, 2012 Robert rated it really liked it
Imagine the positive influence one person can have over a place if their intentions are pure. How much good can one person do when they seek to make the place they live in better and when they seek to do so one person at a time. This is exactly what Annabelle sets out to do when she finds what seems to be an ordinary box filled with ordinary yarn. Once Annabelle knits herself a sweater she finds there is extra yarn, she then knits Mars, her dog, a sweater, and from here the story takes off. Anna ...more
Sarah Sammis
Jun 26, 2012 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett is illustrated by Jon Klassen, the author of I Want My Hat Back and This is Not My Hat (review coming). For fans of Klassen's books, there's a cameo tucked inside.

Annabelle finds a box of yarn. It's the most colorful thing in her dreary village — a place that reminds me of the painting Jagers in de Sneeuw (1565) by Pieter Bruegel. Just imagine that snowy landscape filled with Klassen's characters, being slowly but surely covered in knitted sweaters and blankets and what
Dolly
Mar 14, 2012 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an unusual, but magical story about a little girl who brings a bit of color and warmth to her world. Everywhere the little girl went, she met with scorn and adversity, but she unwaveringly persisted, always with a contented smile. Our girls loved that they recognized Jon Klassen's illustrations by the image of the bear from I Want My Hat Back, and yes there was even a bunny rabbit. Overall, this is a simple, but charming story and we really enjoyed reading it together.

This story was sel
Tatiana
Mar 18, 2012 Tatiana rated it liked it
Summary: With a supply of yarn that never runs out, Annabelle knits for everyone and everything in town until an evil archduke decides he wants the yarn for himself.

This is the second time that I have taken this book out of the library and read it, and I am still a little mystified. The story itself is like a folktale. There is good and evil, a heroine, magic, etc. But the execution is lacking. There is really no driving problem, so the "resolution" is weak. The moral is to be happy with what y
Molly
Oct 07, 2015 Molly rated it really liked it
Rating, 3.5

description

A warm story for the little ones.

You sure can do a lot with some extra yarn. Even I felt a little warmer reading it the other day, despite the out-of-season cold wind blowing outside.

Lovely and short (duh, it's for little children). Written by Mac Barnett, illustrated by Jon Klassen (he of the delightful I Want My Hat Back ... I would recognize that bear everywhere.
Kathryn
Feb 10, 2012 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Interesting concept! Loved the illustrations--while they might not normally be my cup of tea, they worked really well here showing how a bleak, dark town is transformed to warmth and color by the girl's kindness and the magic of the yarn.
Scope
Jan 21, 2012 Scope rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
I've never knitted anything in my life. Not a thing. The extent of my self-crafted wardrobe is limited to ironing letters on a t-shirt, which I promptly threw on stage at a concert (don't worry, I had another shirt underneath). But I would imagine there's a lot of satisfaction in creating an item of clothing out of nothing and a ball of yarn. Of fabricating something, however minor. This concept of making an impact on the world, one small piece at a time is at the core of Extra Yarn. Full of bea ...more
Audrey
Sep 08, 2013 Audrey rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Extra Yarn, written by Mac Barnett and illustrated by Jon Klassen, is a fun picture book that tells the story of a young girl, Annabelle, and the events that happen when she discovers a box filled with yarn. The box Annabelle finds is filled with yarn of every color and seems to never run out. Annabelle begins to knit sweaters for herself, her dog, classmates, neighbors, friends, and even objects that don’t need sweaters—such as trees and houses. Eventually, word begins to spread about the girl ...more
David Schaafsma
Aug 02, 2015 David Schaafsma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
2013 Caldecott Honor Book I read because I am a fan of Barnett and Jon Klaasen's teamwork on Sam and Dave Dig a Hole. Feels fresh and inventive and surprising, with a strong and generous main girl character who knits sweaters and hats for everyone she knows, then she knits for buildings, animals, houses, cars, and so on, drawing yarn out of a kind of magic box that gets explained (sort of, and satisfactorily, for me) in the end. She won't sell the yarn for ten million. Knitting stuff for other p ...more
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Jan 09, 2013 Randie D. Camp, M.S. rated it it was amazing
Annabelle lives in a small town where everything is dull and everyone is more-or-less the same...until she finds a box of colorful yarn. This yarn is colorful and soon attracts attention but Annabelle is never discouraged or greedy, she just continues to knit with her colorful yarn.

I adored this book. The message is empowering but it is not preachy, the story unfolds in a natural, witty way that readers of all ages can understand and enjoy.
Mjdrean
Apr 28, 2012 Mjdrean rated it really liked it

4.5 stars. Love the old story new again, the art, and as a knitter, the never-ending yarn box, which resembles my own sewing room.
Irena Freitas
Jan 31, 2016 Irena Freitas rated it it was amazing
Eu estou lendo muitos picture books por causa da aula, mas esse é especialmente lindo.
Jill
Apr 27, 2012 Jill rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile
A charming story of a little girl who finds a never-ending box of yarn and decides to knit garments for everyone and everything. I loved Jon Klassen's clever watercolor illustrations.
Alethea A
Feb 26, 2012 Alethea A rated it it was amazing
LOVE it. I spent 12 hours trying to figure out how to draw yarn but it didn't look like this. I would totally move to this yarn-surplussed town!
Sophia Hermosillo
Feb 10, 2017 Sophia Hermosillo rated it really liked it
Goodreads 5/Picturebook Analysis Part 1

Extra Yarn exemplified what a human with a passion for sharing is like. Annabelle, a young girl from a small, very cold town, fit this role like a glove. One day, she comes across a box filled with yarn of every color. Before the reader could predict, Annabelle had found a way to transform her city from a black and white town to what appeared like a colorful kingdom. That was the start of what sparked her big in compassion, but little in size heart. She fir
Clare Cannon
Aug 16, 2013 Clare Cannon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 04-8yrs, 01-4yrs
A colourful, quirky story about a girl who finds a ball of yarn that never seems to run out. She knits jumpers for herself, her family and friends, her animals, and even for cars and houses, but still there is extra yarn. When a greedy man tries to buy the yarn and is refused, he resorts to stealing it. But once it is stolen, it suddenly stops its supply and vanishes completely. Though the man curses the girl, his curse doesn't seem to effect her and she remains happy with all her knitted goods ...more
Kimberly
Feb 24, 2014 Kimberly rated it really liked it
I was flipping though this idly, enjoying the sweet story, when I noticed a familiar face on the page with all of the animals. Well, look at that! There's the bear who wants his hat back! And the sneaky little rabbit who took it, too.

From this you have learned two things about me. Number one, I don't pay enough attention to who is illustrating the books I'm reading. Number two, it does not take much to make me happy.
Melissa
This is a gem! Great pacing, great phrasing in the text. Fabulous use of color. Loved the detail that had so many sweaters connected by one yarn as she knit one right after the other. My daughter loved catching sight of the "I want my hat back" bear. And I really really loved that the duke's curse didn't need to be broken, because it just never stuck in the first place.
Kaethe
Jul 14, 2014 Kaethe rated it it was amazing
Klassen's art really makes the simple story come vividly alive. Just the book for anyone charmed by tree cozies or homemade sweaters. You don't actually have to make any. But if you think vests on penguins are cute, or legwarmers on tiny piglets, check it out.

Library copy.
Jen
Feb 02, 2012 Jen rated it it was amazing
Look for a guest appearance by Bear from "I Want My Hat Back."

UPDATE: At first this was a mild 4 stars for me, but after reading it at storytime and seeing how wrapped up the kids were...
Everyone even clapped at the end!
Margaux
Sep 14, 2015 Margaux rated it it was amazing
Shelves: modern, picture-books
PAPER CUTS. I'm not surprised I love this, because It's Jon Klassen and I absolutely fangirl over all his illustrations, but honestly... I loved this.
Robert
Apr 30, 2015 Robert rated it really liked it
**** Caldecott Honor (2013) ****

Delightful story about a girl who brings color and warmth to a rather dreary and cold place and it's townsfolk. I very much liked it.
Brenda
Oct 23, 2014 Brenda rated it it was ok
Shelves: meh, okay
Interesting concept but it lacks something, I don't know.
Agne
4.5 out of 5
This looks like an ordinary picture book.

But it turns out it isn't.

It's EXTRA-ordinary.
  • This is Not My Hat
  • Grandpa Green
  • Over and Under the Snow
  • hello! hello!
Born to non-farmers in a California farming community, Mac now lives near San Francisco. He's on the board of directors of 826LA, a nonprofit writing center for students in Los Angeles, and he founded the Echo Park Time Travel Mart, a convenience store for time travelers.
More about Mac Barnett...