Start by marking “Horror em Red Hook” as Want to Read:
Horror em Red Hook

Horror em Red Hook

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  395 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Como em seus outros livros, esse mestre indiscutível do terror foge das idealizações do Bem e da abominação do Mal, mergulhando suas personagens num mundo de sombras, de sonhos, de pesadelos, para construir uma arquitetura maravilhosa e de seres que, ao desafiar sua condição mortal, se lançam a viagens e aventuras à procura do autoconhecimento, da imortalidade, do poder di ...more
Published 1991 by Vega (first published January 1st 1927)

To ask other readers questions about Horror em Red Hook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Horror em Red Hook

Becky
Catch-up review #4!

I listened to this one on Friday night as I was driving back from Philly after my business trip. It was dark, and I was alone in the car, so of course I'm like "Let's listen to some Lovecraft! :D"

I have this weird thing about Lovecraft, though. I love the IDEA of Lovecraft's horror more than I like the reality of it. I just find the writing tedious at times. It's true. I said it. He was wordy. He'd use 4 words when one would do, and for me, that just bogs things down and dist
[Name Redacted]
This is arguably one of Lovecraft's most racist stories, born out of his increasing sense of isolation and negative impressions of immigrants while living in Brooklyn. It was this antipathy towards others that gave birth to one of my favorite songs by The Mountain Goats (cf: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrHgZR... also: http://www.thejeffreylewissite.com/Mt... ).

Lovecraft's racism appears to be a manifestation of modern post-Enlightenment racial theory, but I think that's giving modernity enti
Esta vez Lovecraft no me dejó con las ganas de una resolución a sus misterios sino que se pasó de la raya u.u (ya sé, soy la gata flora). Describe todo con lujo de detalles y para mi gusto con superabundancia de adjetivos en la línea de "fétido"o "deforme", que en tanta cantidad tienen un efecto contrario, no te ayudan a imaginarte los horrores, sino que te dispersan (o al menos eso me pasó a mi).
Otra cosa que no me gustó es lo terriblemente racista que es este cuento, pero de nuevo, me alejaba
Monse
Leíble. Buena ambientación de Lovecraft como siempre, pero nada del otro mundo. Me gustó.
Ryan Nims
Wow... This was a miss for Lovecraft. The first half is fairly long winded and boring, but it gets better towards the end; culminating in a fairly creepy climax.

Lovecraft's extreme xenophobia (read: racism) is on full display here, making some elements of the story a bit dated and hard to swallow.

Not bad, but not the best Lovecraft I've experienced by a long shot.
David
Very slow to build for very little payoff. Not one of the better Lovecraft stories I've read, but the writing (as always) evokes some great imagery.
Edgar Roberts
A great story, I thought! Lovecraft uses his style of prose quite nicely in my opinion at the end and the storyline and frightful atmosphere are very well presented. Even though the key basis for this story was xenophobia, I honestly don't feel that this marred it, as most do. The racism adds something of vulgar touch to the horror in my opinion and Lovecraft can be excused for being human with faults like the rest of us :) Obviously, I'd rather he wasn't a racist, but there isn't much that I ca ...more
Jamie Long
Eh it was good but it didn't get good until the end
Lucia
Nov 02, 2014 Lucia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lucia by: Karila
Shelves: book-club
**Leído para el Club de Lectura**
Para la segunda entrega del Club de Lectura le tocó a Gloria elegir el libro, y se decidió por una selección de cuentos de Lovecraft.

Siento que ya estoy "inmunizada" contra este tipo de cuentos de Lovecraft, y a las pocas paginas de que lo empecé ya me esperaba lo que iba a venir. De todas formas no estuvo mal, por más que no pueda considerarlo uno de los cuentos mas memorables de este autor.
Tim
Not Lovecraft's best work, but still quite good a short story.

The full horror is not jumping in your face at the end of the story (like in 'normal' Lovecraft stories), but rather in the previous to last chapter. This makes the overall feeling a bit more tame.

The nice touch about this story is that the first page goes from 'normal' to 'strange' to 'downright scary'

A Lovecraft classic.
Nan Silvernail
People on a street are startled as a man suddenly screams and flees from the sight of ... a brick building?
The man is Thomas Malone, a retired detective who participated in a raid on the Red Hook area of New York City, a place where sinister characters and wicked old rites hide away. What horrors did the man see there that nearly drove him mad?
Marianne Weber
Godzilla
A slow set up, but the tension is built beautifully.

A tale of dark arts and ancient rites which come to haunt a detective.

An undercurrent of xenophobia left a slightly unpleasant taste in my mouth, but the story itself is executed very well.

The characters are absorbing and the fear is palpable and effective.
Julie Rylie
I actually didn't read this book, I heard it. I have a bunch of Lovecraft short stories in audio format and they are very well done.

This is about an ancient satanic cult or something related. People start disappearing and this cellar is found with ancient scripts of unknown languages.
Lindsay
Classic Lovecraft horror, and plenty of thematic overlap with his other stories. The standard rational first person perspective reduced to a quivering mess by the events of the story, urban nightmare, satanism, and a dash of casual racism. One of his tamer works.
nooker
Although I do like his more straight forward stuff better this one was good. I listened to it and the edition (Trout Lake Media) I had had a lot of sound effects which I thought actually took away from the story instead of enhancing it.
Quincy
Sometimes the in-and-out of consciousness of the main characters (due to fainting usually) in Lovecraft's stories gets a bit confusing. Usually the author goes back and explains, but in this one I felt a bit lost at the end.
Carlos Ríos
No es su mejor historia pero si tiene los clásicos rasgos del terror que maneja Lovecraft: cultos extraños, laberintos con puertas a otros mundos en pleno Nueva York y un terror desconocido que parece acechar en todo momento.
Phil Morgan
Not a sophisticated tale, but I couldn't help getting wonderfully lost at times in Lovecraft's rich prose. His descriptive powers and vocabulary are wonderful. He has the ability to make even the macabre sound poetic.
Teardra
H.P. Lovecraft's novellas of mystery and intrigue are usually a fun and distracting break from my more serious literary endeavors but this one fell a bit short for me. Great premise, mediocre ending.
Adam
This is probably the most nakedly racist of Lovecraft's stories (or of those I have read anyway). That said, it's a scary and unsettling story - if you manage to put aside the objectionable stuff.
Jaqueline
Quasi tre stelline...
Ma non ho notato grandi differenze da La casa stregata D:
Forse é proprio lo stile di Lovecraft che non mi convince!
Qualcuno mi consiglia qualche suo bel libro? :)
Andrew Obrigewitsch
This was really around 2.5, it was decent. But it reads like a pulp story and probably was, since I have a hard time getting into pulp stories I didn't enjoy it as much as others would.
Mike Vendetti

When you think he can't be any creepier, Lovecraft supprises you.
龍帝
Not the best of Lovecraft.
Really creepy story of a former policeman who had a phobia about tall brick buildings and how he got that way. Not for the faint of heart, this one.
Capsguy
First work of Lovecraft, can see why they say Poe is the better writer, whereas Lovecraft the better story teller. Definitely not bad however.
Edward Davies
Lovecraft is possibly the worst writer ever! The Re-Animator story was okay but everything else sends me off to sleep.
Irene
1.5
No me gustó.

Quiero decir, comparada con el resto de las historias de Lovecraft, ésta se queda corta.
JDW Williams
Yes, it's pretty damn hateful and xenophobic but gosh, it's also delirious, vivid, and masterfully written.
  • The Mammoth Book of Extreme Fantasy
  • Cold Fusion
  • Doctor Who: Business Unusual
  • The Witch's Buttons
  • Next of Kin
Howard Phillips Lovecraft, of Providence, Rhode Island, was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction.

Lovecraft's major inspiration and invention was cosmic horror: life is incomprehensible to human minds and the universe is fundamentally alien. Those who genuinely reason, like his protagonists, gamble with sanity. Lovecraft has developed a cult following for his Cthulhu Mythos, a
More about H.P. Lovecraft...
The Best of H.P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories At the Mountains of Madness and Other Tales of Terror At the Mountains of Madness The Call of Cthulhu