3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  394 ratings  ·  60 reviews
"StandOut," the revolutionary new book and online assessment tool from Marcus Buckingham, is the result of extensive research, statistical testing, and analysis of the world's top performers. From the coauthor of "Now," "Discover Your Strengths" and the recognized leader of the strengths movement, "StandOu"t unveils your top two Strength Roles and offers sharp, practical i...more
Published September 13th 2011 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about StandOut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about StandOut

Shaun
If you've spent any amount of time in the corporate world, it's likely you've encountered some sort of a strengths assessment book such as 'Now, Discover Your Strengths' (Free Press, 2001) or 'StrengthsFinder 2.0' (Gallup Press, 2007). Your initial reaction to the thought of doing another online strengths assessment is likely been there, done that. Honestly that's how I felt when I first heard about 'StandOut.'

I used the 'StrengthsFinder 2.0' assessment with my management peers and our entire c...more
Summer
I always enjoy reading Marcus Buckingham books. His books are very engaging and they make you want to be a better person. Marcus has worked a long time with Gallup to develop a series of questions to help you be a stand out leader. I am a General Manager for Hampton Inn and Hampton uses Marcus quit frequently when helping to produce more engaged leaders at their hotels. His books have really helped me with my career at the hotel. I find that not everyone is good at everything, and that you must...more
Brent Keck
Buckingham's approach for maximizing success is for each person to focus not on improving their weaknesses, but on determining and exploiting natural strengths. An online assessment tool is used to determine strengths. I like this approach as it offers a better method to creating value in your life that can be translated into success in the workplace, at church, and all areas of life.

I am considering having the IT staff take this test. It will, of course, identify strength for each individual,...more
Soundview Executive Book Summaries
StandOut: The Groundbreaking New Strengths Assessment from the Leader of the Strengths Revolution by Marcus Buckingham was chosen by Soundview Executive Book Summaries as one of the Top 30 Business Books of 2012.

THE SOUNDVIEW REVIEW:

StandOut introduces the next-generation strengths assessment from Marcus Buckingham, co-author of Now, Discover Your Strengths. The StandOut assessment unveils your two key strength roles and shows you how to find your edge and win at work. Whether you’re an individu...more
C
I was required to take this assessment for my job. I've taken other similar personality type tests, and usually found a lot that I could relate to. However, when I took this test, I found it so incredibly far from my personality. The areas that it told me I excel in are areas that I struggle with, dread, and receive negative feedback on. I emailed the company to tell them I didn't think it was accurate. They did not make any efforts to find out why I thought that my assessment was incorrect (whi...more
Jeremy
I should probably refrain from rating the book until after I have taken and applied the assessment, but the three stars is based on the perceived merit of the book itself. The concepts in StandOut appear to be a bit less universal than StrengthsFinder, as they appear to be especially geared towards leaders. I am a bit confused by Buckingham's distinction that this assessment is more about application whereas StrengthsFinder was more about diagnostics. The book Strengths-Based Leadership draws ou...more
Heidi Kelsch
I was given this book, and thus the Standout Assessment by the company I work for. I had glanced through the book before taking the test, and then read the book more thoroughly afterwards. I really have learned a lot from this, both about myself and my coworkers. The assessment results are very thorough and clear - and very eye opening. The book goes through each type of result you could have and explains it. This is helpful when you know the top two characteristics of someone else and want to r...more
Jean
A newer Buckingham book about strengths at work, this assigns a "type" based on an online timed test. All on my team took the test, but not everyone read this book. We all felt the assigned "types" really fit each individual. In addition, tips to best manage,, sell, build client relationships were developed for each type. Once the online test is taken, emails are sent with interesting information, i.e. how to work best with a certain "type."
Stacy
Are you really a Teacher (like I thought I was) or is teaching just one way to do what you love best--like connecting ideas to people? Or maybe you're a Pioneer who loves to try out all the new gizmos, or an Advisor who is always listening to others and building them up.

StandOut is a self-help book that has you take an online test to determine your top two inner strengths (it is focused on those who work outside the home but I reframed the questions for myself and still loved the results). Then...more
Susan
I thought this was an accurate assessment. But the book has little content. Is also like to see the content expressed for those who are not managers and must lead from the middle. Would be useful for educators and students to have their perspectives included.
José Eduardo Amaral Leal
Li a versão em português "Destaque-se". Para quem leu e gostou de "Descubra seus Pontos Fortes" de Buckingham e Clifton, também editado pela Sextante, é um desdobramento do trabalho anterior, agora desenvolvido fora do Gallup Institute. Ótima leitura e oportunidade para muitas percepções individuais, após a realização do teste de perfis. Passei a utilizar como ferramenta de diagnóstico no meu processo de Coaching Centrado em Valores. Recomendo
Britney
If you work with people, in any capacity, you should read this book. Once you have done this, you should give the book to all the people you work with so they can also read it. It's THAT powerful.
Nadia
I didn't like that I could only do the assessment once. That being said, I feel like the one I did do was extremely accurate. And I enjoyed the tips given based on the field of work you're in.
Mike
This is a follow up book to the Strength Finder books. How do you stand out among your peers? Do you stand out or slip into the weeds.
Victoria
I'm a sucker for any and all personality tests. The bummer about this book is that the test is online and you need to scratch off the "key" in back of book; no problem if you bought the book. I, however, read the library book so I couldn't take the official test. (Unless I pay for the test, no thank you. I guess I'm not as devoted as I thought.) Grrr.

But that's okay. Instead I glimpsed at the descriptions of the nine "strenth roles" and determined I'm an Equalizer/Teacher/Pioneer combo. The boo...more
Geoff Nelson
Felt like a personality test for business capacity.
Gwen
What do you want to be when you grow up? What are your strengths? What careers would you enjoy more?

I like this approach better than the Strength's Finder series. Because the online assessment asks participants to make decisions and react to situations instead of rating themselves, I think it is a more realistic snapshot of a person's strengths as others experience them.

The personal profiles are more user friendly and practical than the Strengths Finders profiles.
Tentmaker
I read the book before I did the online questionnaire and thought I had my type nailed. In fact, after doing the questionnaire, my top type was the last one I had considered! I was initially sceptical but humbled myself to the system and found that it, and my number two type, were pretty much spot on. So, persevere and allow this book to speak to you despite any reservations you might have. The world is pretty rubbish at telling us who we are - at least Marcus Buckingham is trying to do the righ...more
Eleftheria
Σίγουρα καλογραμμένο και καλομεταφρασμένο αλλά όχι αρκετό γι' αυτό που υπόσχεται "άνευ διδασκάλου".

Μπορεί ν' αποτελέσει ένα πολύ καλό εργαλείο στα χεριά ενός ειδικού (π.χ. υπεύθυνος προσωπικού, προπονητής κ.λπ.) αλλά φοβάμαι ότι στα χέρια ενός αρχάριου που ψάχνει στα τυφλά μια καθοδήγηση ώστε να εντοπίσεις τις ειδικές του δεξιότητες υπάρχει κίνδυνος, αντί να χρησιμοποιήσει την παρεχόμενη πληροφορία ως βάση ανάπτυξης, να αυτοπεριοριστεί, ειδικά αν δεν διαβάσει και το τελευταίο κεφάλαιο!
David
StandOut was a very good read. Marcus Buckingham takes an interesting path from his StrengthFinder roots. I appreciate him describing what happened in the process since I wondered why he would go this route.

This book doesn't just give you a list of your strengths, but addresses how you can use your top 2 together. The materials comes with a code to take an online survey which provides you with a personailized report on your top strengths.

I'm glad I read it.
Liza
Marcus Buckingham's first book, "First, Break All The Rules", is my all-time favorite management book. StandOut is a great follow-on to that book. It focusses on helping the reader identify his/her strengths and provides some quick points on how to stand out with those strengths. As a manager, reading the entire books gives me some insight into how to bring out the best of my team who exhibit the various strengths. Two thumbs up from me.
Da277
A very big disappointment!
Rob
The book gets 3 stars based on the merit of the actual assessment. I took the assessment as part of a team building for work, then decided to finish the book. Strength assessment was pretty accurate for me. Book itself could easily be condensed to 10-15 pages plus the half of the book which breaks down each of the 9 strengths... of which you only need to read your top 2 strengths.
Deb
A "new generation" strengths assessment from management guru Marcus Buckingham. Although not my favorite of his book, still a quick and good read and the book comes with an access code to take the strengths assessment and receive your detailed report.

Here's a link to my full review:

Took the Strengths Finder assessment today and it is eerily accurate, although I think it got my number 1 & 2 strengths backwards. All managers at work are taking this assessment and we are meeting to discuss next week. I feel like I already had a pretty good handle on my strengths but am looking forward to learning more about this from a leadership perspective.
Jenny
An interesting work/purpose typing system similar to Strengthsfinder. It was spot-on for me, but after that I didn't do much with it. Good for someone that wants affirmation of their strengths, but not a MUST-DO, and not yet a shared language the way Myers Briggs, Enneagram, and Strengthsfinder 2.0 are.
Joseph Iliff
A great way to find your strengths. And, it isn't just another book of personality profiles, or a list of careers you should explore. It has powerful language that helped me put into words who I am and what I do best. A great read for anyone looking to do more with their natural abilities.
Ron
Probably his least important book, but the assessment he created to go along with this book is his best. Don't get the book. Take the assessment. It's a useful tool for you if you want some ideas around how to tailor your role at work to suit your strengths and advantages better.
Charles Erlandson
Not As Profitable as Other Strengths Works by Buckingham. You're better off reading "Now, Discover Your Strengths" and "Go, Put Your Strengths to Work." See my complete review at http://www.amazon.com/StandOut-Ground...
Connie
The assessment instrument was very insightful, however the recommendations to improve performance and capitalize on ones strengths lacked some depth. Approaches to long term success were not broached. But I still found this to be helpful for recognizing day to day opportunities.
  • The Power of a Positive No: How to Say No and Still Get to Yes
  • Strengths Based Leadership: Great Leaders, Teams, and Why People Follow
  • The Advantage: Why Organizational Health Trumps Everything Else in Business
  • The Secret: What Great Leaders Know - And Do
  • We: Understanding the Psychology of Romantic Love
  • The Fred Factor: How passion in your work and life can turn the ordinary into the extraordinary
  • Rhinoceros Success
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Leadership (with featured article �What Makes an Effective Executive,� by Peter F. Drucker)
  • The Compound Effect
  • Making Vision Stick
  • Maxwell 3-In1 Special Edition: The Winning Attitude, Developing the Leaders Around You, Becoming a Person of Influence
  • True North: Discover Your Authentic Leadership
  • On Becoming a Leader
  • The Truth about Leadership: The No-Fads, Heart-Of-The-Matter Facts You Need to Know
  • How Remarkable Women Lead: The Breakthrough Model for Work and Life
  • Integrity: The Courage to Meet the Demands of Reality
  • The Progress Principle: Using Small Wins to Ignite Joy, Engagement, and Creativity at Work
  • Positivity: Groundbreaking Research Reveals How to Embrace the Hidden Strength of Positive Emotions, Overcome Negativity, and Thrive
In a world where efficiency and competency rule the workplace, where do personal strengths fit in?

It's a complex question, one that intrigued Cambridge-educated Marcus Buckingham so greatly, he set out to answer it by challenging years of social theory and utilizing his nearly two decades of research experience as a Sr. Researcher at Gallup Organization to break through the preconceptions about a...more
More about Marcus Buckingham...
First, Break All the Rules: What the World's Greatest Managers Do Differently Now, Discover Your Strengths Go Put Your Strengths to Work: 6 Powerful Steps to Achieve Outstanding Performance The One Thing You Need to Know: ... About Great Managing, Great Leading, and Sustained Individual Success Find Your Strongest Life: What the Happiest and Most Successful Women Do Differently