Start by marking “Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Volume 3: Death of Spider-Man Prelude” as Want to Read:
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Volume 3: Death of Spider-Man Prelude

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Volume 3: Death of Spider-Man Prelude (Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Volume I #3)

Super-hero school is in session! The world's No. 1 peacekeeping organization, S.H.I.E.L.D., is fed up with Spider-Man - specifically, the millions of dollars spent cleaning up his collateral damage. But instead of throwing the teenaged web-slinger in jail, they've settled on a far worse punishment: after-school super-hero training, courtesy of the Ultimates! While Spider-M ...more
Published January 4th 2012 by Marvel (first published April 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Volume 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Volume 3

Kemper
Apr 26, 2012 Kemper rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, superhero, 2012
Guess what’s coming?

Yep, but I’ll leave that alone until the next volume. I assumed that this would be full of all kind of ominous foreshadowing regarding Spider-Man’s upcoming doom, but it really plays out like just another chapter in the life of the Ultimate version of Peter Parker where he‘s still a teenager struggling with high school and often overwhelmed by his life as a superhero.

I’d missed the previous volume so not sure why Iceman and The Human Torch are living with Peter and Aunt May a
Cait (Paper Fury)
AHHHH THIS WAS SO GOOD!! I have little quibbles (don't I always?) but this is like the exact kind of Spider-Man comic I like to read about! HE'S A TEEN DOING TEEN STUFF. Although he was waaaay too sweet and not enough sass. But there were so many elements to this book and I just want a movie of it. Of THIS adventure. Of Spider-Man being a teen and having girl problems and getting fired from his after-school job and geeking-out with Iron Man.

Seriously he totally nerds out with Tony Stark over the
Sesana
Feb 06, 2013 Sesana rated it really liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
I'm guessing that, by the time this volume was published, Peter Parker's death was a done deal and everybody in the world knew it. So there's no point in hiding the fact that the poor kid will be dead in a few issues. (Which made JJJ's offhanded comment that Peter might not live to see college a shot to the heart.) Also, Marvel wanted to make more money and probably figured that more casual readers would buy this volume if it had the "Death of Spider-Man" label on it.

I'm not complaining about t
Peter Derk
Aug 25, 2013 Peter Derk rated it liked it
A nice premise, S.H.I.E.L.D. figures that Spider-Man, though effective in his own way, is causing a lot of peripheral damage. So, they ask a trio of other superheroes what to do about the situation. What follows is Thor, Captain America, and Iron Man all recounting Spider-Man encounters.

During his shared battle with Captain America, Spider-Man wasn't exactly on his game and may have kinda sorta shot him in the face with a web, resulting in one of the finer costumed expressions I've seen in a lon
Jdetrick
I have to admit, while I have enjoyed Bendis' work on Ultimate Spider-Man, I'm beginning to tire of the series and his take on the character. Luckily, I don't seem to have much more time to be concerned about it.
Wing Kee
Sep 28, 2016 Wing Kee rated it really liked it
And everything is as it should be, albeit it was a janky journey to get there.

World: The multiple artists was a bit of a trip. Sure I can understand for issue 150 but even the other issues there was a lack of consistency and it did take the reader out of the book. However, I would like to say that the artists that they had were all really good and gave the characters life and personality. The world building was also surprisingly good. With all the pieces that have been off since the new series
Feb 28, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Did Black Cat always have short black hair and look exactly like Catwoman with white hair tacked on? Because I thought for sure she used to be a blonde and the only thing the two had in common were the black costume and penchant for sneaking about in the night.

Anyway, this was my first intro to Black Cat, so I know little about her other than the fact that she uses a LOT of double-sided sticky tape in her costume.

Story was awesome although the relationship bits were a bit forced/dull--especially
Richard Radgoski
Jun 03, 2013 Richard Radgoski rated it really liked it
This is my first read of any Spiderman Ultimate. I've read Spiderman from way back in the 80's and 90's, so I'm not really up to speed. When I recently went into a comic store and saw that spiderman had a 'death', I was alarmed enough to pick up the book so I can find out what happens. (I then found out there is another 'death' but that is another story)

I liked most of the artwork. It seems the Ultimate comics have Spidey and friends much younger AND it seems most of his close friends knows his
Lloyd
"Death of Spider-Man Prelude", huh? In a volume which Peter Parker looks really alive and well at the end, I wonder what could be coming next. Well, apparently he does die, but maybe... Well, I guess we'll just have to read on and see.

This volume is the aftermath of Peter and the other young superhero residents of Aunt May's abode being urged to take a break from superheroing... That's until the Ultimates decide Peter should be groomed to be a better Spider-Man.

Bendis, as I've said endless tim
Geoff Derks
Feb 03, 2014 Geoff Derks rated it really liked it
Sad to see this legend come to an end. A while back I had to read the event that people were talking about - "Ultimate Comics Spider-Man Vol. 4: Death of Spider-Man" I thought it was okay, but I wasn't invested in the Ultimate Peter Parker, so his death wasn't that much of an impact. However, reading the Miles Morales (new UC Spider-Man) volumes starting with Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Vol.1, I kept seeing a reverence for Peter. I needed to find out why he was so great. Over the last 6 months, ...more
Sean
Feb 26, 2013 Sean rated it liked it
Brian Michael Bendis once again dives into the super-hero teen drama of the Ultimate Spider-Man and all his friends. Here we are shown some really interesting ideas about how Spider-Man should fit into the Ultimate world as a whole. There is also great scenes with Mysterio and Black Cat. I'm not sure where that's going but its really interesting. All that said, all this is pushed aside by the never ending teenage drama with Peter. I understand that is a huge draw for many people here but Spider- ...more
Martin
Oct 17, 2013 Martin added it
Shelves: comics
Yes this book is the last pit stop on the road to the death of spider man event and well it delivers all around the plot centers around this tablet that can grant the user its one wish though literaly so for instance i want to make all fear me the tablet would make everyone fear you to the point everyone would run away from you. That and we get to see mysterio's ultimate version who is well kinda cool and i enjoyed his character. black cat is also a character and the kingpin makes and cameo or t ...more
Edward Cheer
Mar 08, 2015 Edward Cheer rated it liked it
This was definitely a step in the right direction for Bendis, since his last comic. This book improves upon the previous by adding the more human side to Spider-Man, and it is much appreciated. However, the story is a little hard to get behind with this secret magical key that has the power of a mini-Death Star laser. I also didn't feel as much for Peter and MJ for hooking up yet again (I believe that makes this the third in this series), so this just seemed like a big eye-roller for me. Hopeful ...more
Anthony
May 28, 2013 Anthony rated it liked it
Shelves: ultimate, spider-man
I'm wondering what this has to do with The Death of Spider-man arc? No doubt it'll make more sense once I get to the actual Death of Spider-man arc, but this just seems like another volume of Ultimate Spider-man. I mean, it's a decent volume, I just think the title is a little misleading.

The art is also a little inconsistent. There's about 6 different artists working on this volume, and that's not include the #150 special. It just hurts the flow a little at times. But the final part, drawn by Ch
Holden Attradies
Sep 03, 2012 Holden Attradies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 1
This is probably the best post-Ultimatum Ultimate Spider-Man. The art is amazing, especially just about any panel with MJ and Gwen. The art brings a feeling of teenage hijinks and angst to the series that fit it just right. There is a particular panel with MJ and Gwen peeking round a corner at Peter that was just perfect and hysterical. Sara Pichelli is REALLY good and making a static comic panel feel like a moving clip in a movie.
Caroline
Aug 24, 2014 Caroline rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014_comics
I haven't read that much of Peter Parker as Ultimate Spider-Man but I went back to read this after reading some of the Miles Morales books and now I'm sad and don't want Peter to die :-/.

This was a pretty good story, although the art was kind of a mixed bag (all GOOD artists, just you could tell they were rushed/had several disparate art styles mixed together in the same issue.)

Also, apparently Ultimate Johnny Storm wears a fedora? As a disguise? Somebody needs to talk to him about this and also
Beckiezra
Nov 15, 2012 Beckiezra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-manga

I really enjoy Sarah Pichelli's artwork. The story was often laugh out loud funny (Spider-man's total fail with Captain America was particularly amusing). I'm a bit confused with the numbering, I thought maybe they were including Avenger comics since it jumped from 15 to 150s but according to the copyright it's all Ultimate Spider-man. I liked the look of the art in the last issue BUT it didn't look like he really looked at the previous character designs because he made Mary Jane look like she
B
Oct 11, 2014 B rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, borrowed
Val.
Jan 26, 2017 Val. rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Nah...
Todo lo que puedo decir es: Meh...

No fue terrible, pero no me gusto. Las ilustraciones fueron un tanto... humm... infantiles, no sé cómo describirlas, pero no me gustaron. Este cómic me dejo con un mal sabor porque creí que me iba a topar con una mejor historia, y pues no fue así, simplemente no, le perdí las ganas a toda la saga de Ultimate. El Peter parker de esta historia es un tanto soso, al igual que Mary Jane, y Gwen Stacy, y la tía May, y todos.
Shaun
Jun 26, 2012 Shaun rated it really liked it
This is the volume in which Peter gets his affairs in order. The prelude to death of Spider-Man is where all the loose ends and hanging threads all get tied up or forever deferred. There's no real epic feel to this volume, just good old Spider-Man doing what he does and Peter sorting through his metaphoical junk on his days off. But there aren't many large changes in his life this time. Calm before the storm.
Jacob
Dec 02, 2015 Jacob rated it really liked it
Didn't really like the art in this one, it definitely isn't the worst I ever seen, but the faces all seemed a little off.
What's up with dissing Jack London? Some of his books are pretty good (I've only read some of them, so I don't know about the rest) And the Rules for using the Wi-Fi poster in the computer lab? I like all the little jokes thrown in the background of these Ultimate Spider-Man comics.

Ian
Aug 19, 2013 Ian rated it liked it
Despite the ominous title, this feels like just another chapter--and a lackluster one, at that--of Peter's life. If Mysterio's plotline actually resolves--and if its momentum thus far is any indication, I don't think it will--Bendis'll have to climb uphill to make it feel like it belongs in the series.
Eric Mikols
May 06, 2013 Eric Mikols rated it really liked it
Shelves: spider-man
One more volume to go until the big death. I've been reading this series for a more then a decade, it's sad to see it coming to an end. This volume was the usual goodness but the art is just plain gorgeous.
Brian
Oct 12, 2012 Brian rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Some of the artwork here is amazing. Storylines are wrapping up (gee, I wonder why) but this book still does amazing things with teen life and characterization overall.
alicia ...
Jun 18, 2016 alicia ... rated it it was amazing
4.5
Bob Parks
Jun 24, 2011 Bob Parks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic
Bendis rules. Can't wait for the next.
Shannon Appelcline
Sep 27, 2012 Shannon Appelcline rated it it was amazing
A volume that really shows off that the heart of this Spider-Man is in its character moments--which comprise the vast majority of this book.
TJ Shelby
Nov 13, 2011 TJ Shelby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marvel
Great book and intro story arc for Spidey's death. Bendis has almost made the Ultimate Spidey series more pertinent than the baseline series.
Dakota
Jul 04, 2015 Dakota rated it really liked it
After reading it I'm a little annoyed about the "Prelude" business in the title as the contents do not reflect this pessimism. Easily the best volume since the renumbering.
Lindsey.parks
  • Ultimate Galactus, Volume 2: Secret
  • Ultimatum: Requiem
  • Ultimate X-Men, Volume 11: The Most Dangerous Game
  • The Invincible Iron Man, Volume 4: Stark Disassembled
  • Ultimate X-Men, Volume 14: Phoenix?

More about Brian Michael Bendis...

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Volume I (5 books)
  • Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Volume 1: The World According To Peter Parker