Start by marking “Ultimate Comics Spider-Man Vol. 3: Death of Spider-Man Prelude” as Want to Read:
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man Vol. 3: Death of Spider-Man Prelude

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man Vol. 3: Death of Spider-Man Prelude (Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man, Volume I #3)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  453 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Super-hero school is in session! The world's No. 1 peacekeeping organization, S.H.I.E.L.D., is fed up with Spider-Man - specifically, the millions of dollars spent cleaning up his collateral damage. But instead of throwing the teenaged web-slinger in jail, they've settled on a far worse punishment: after-school super-hero training, courtesy of the Ultimates! While Spider-M ...more
Published January 4th 2012 by Marvel (first published April 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Ultimate Comics Spider-Man Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultimate Comics Spider-Man Vol. 3

Kemper
Guess what’s coming?

Yep, but I’ll leave that alone until the next volume. I assumed that this would be full of all kind of ominous foreshadowing regarding Spider-Man’s upcoming doom, but it really plays out like just another chapter in the life of the Ultimate version of Peter Parker where he‘s still a teenager struggling with high school and often overwhelmed by his life as a superhero.

I’d missed the previous volume so not sure why Iceman and The Human Torch are living with Peter and Aunt May a
Sesana
I'm guessing that, by the time this volume was published, Peter Parker's death was a done deal and everybody in the world knew it. So there's no point in hiding the fact that the poor kid will be dead in a few issues. (Which made JJJ's offhanded comment that Peter might not live to see college a shot to the heart.) Also, Marvel wanted to make more money and probably figured that more casual readers would buy this volume if it had the "Death of Spider-Man" label on it.

I'm not complaining about t
Peter Derk
A nice premise, S.H.I.E.L.D. figures that Spider-Man, though effective in his own way, is causing a lot of peripheral damage. So, they ask a trio of other superheroes what to do about the situation. What follows is Thor, Captain America, and Iron Man all recounting Spider-Man encounters.

During his shared battle with Captain America, Spider-Man wasn't exactly on his game and may have kinda sorta shot him in the face with a web, resulting in one of the finer costumed expressions I've seen in a lon
Lloyd
"Death of Spider-Man Prelude", huh? In a volume which Peter Parker looks really alive and well at the end, I wonder what could be coming next. Well, apparently he does die, but maybe... Well, I guess we'll just have to read on and see.

This volume is the aftermath of Peter and the other young superhero residents of Aunt May's abode being urged to take a break from superheroing... That's until the Ultimates decide Peter should be groomed to be a better Spider-Man.

Bendis, as I've said endless tim
Geoff Derks
Sad to see this legend come to an end. A while back I had to read the event that people were talking about - "Ultimate Comics Spider-Man Vol. 4: Death of Spider-Man" I thought it was okay, but I wasn't invested in the Ultimate Peter Parker, so his death wasn't that much of an impact. However, reading the Miles Morales (new UC Spider-Man) volumes starting with Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Vol.1, I kept seeing a reverence for Peter. I needed to find out why he was so great. Over the last 6 months, ...more
Caroline
I haven't read that much of Peter Parker as Ultimate Spider-Man but I went back to read this after reading some of the Miles Morales books and now I'm sad and don't want Peter to die :-/.

This was a pretty good story, although the art was kind of a mixed bag (all GOOD artists, just you could tell they were rushed/had several disparate art styles mixed together in the same issue.)

Also, apparently Ultimate Johnny Storm wears a fedora? As a disguise? Somebody needs to talk to him about this and also
Did Black Cat always have short black hair and look exactly like Catwoman with white hair tacked on? Because I thought for sure she used to be a blonde and the only thing the two had in common were the black costume and penchant for sneaking about in the night.

Anyway, this was my first intro to Black Cat, so I know little about her other than the fact that she uses a LOT of double-sided sticky tape in her costume.

Story was awesome although the relationship bits were a bit forced/dull--especially
Richard Radgoski
This is my first read of any Spiderman Ultimate. I've read Spiderman from way back in the 80's and 90's, so I'm not really up to speed. When I recently went into a comic store and saw that spiderman had a 'death', I was alarmed enough to pick up the book so I can find out what happens. (I then found out there is another 'death' but that is another story)

I liked most of the artwork. It seems the Ultimate comics have Spidey and friends much younger AND it seems most of his close friends knows his
Sean
Brian Michael Bendis once again dives into the super-hero teen drama of the Ultimate Spider-Man and all his friends. Here we are shown some really interesting ideas about how Spider-Man should fit into the Ultimate world as a whole. There is also great scenes with Mysterio and Black Cat. I'm not sure where that's going but its really interesting. All that said, all this is pushed aside by the never ending teenage drama with Peter. I understand that is a huge draw for many people here but Spider- ...more
Martin
Dec 11, 2013 Martin added it
Shelves: comics
Yes this book is the last pit stop on the road to the death of spider man event and well it delivers all around the plot centers around this tablet that can grant the user its one wish though literaly so for instance i want to make all fear me the tablet would make everyone fear you to the point everyone would run away from you. That and we get to see mysterio's ultimate version who is well kinda cool and i enjoyed his character. black cat is also a character and the kingpin makes and cameo or t ...more
Anthony
I'm wondering what this has to do with The Death of Spider-man arc? No doubt it'll make more sense once I get to the actual Death of Spider-man arc, but this just seems like another volume of Ultimate Spider-man. I mean, it's a decent volume, I just think the title is a little misleading.

The art is also a little inconsistent. There's about 6 different artists working on this volume, and that's not include the #150 special. It just hurts the flow a little at times. But the final part, drawn by Ch
Hector
AWSOME BOOK! I loved this comic but to bad Parker had to die couldn't it ended with a happy ending like always.
Beckiezra

I really enjoy Sarah Pichelli's artwork. The story was often laugh out loud funny (Spider-man's total fail with Captain America was particularly amusing). I'm a bit confused with the numbering, I thought maybe they were including Avenger comics since it jumped from 15 to 150s but according to the copyright it's all Ultimate Spider-man. I liked the look of the art in the last issue BUT it didn't look like he really looked at the previous character designs because he made Mary Jane look like she
Aarthika

This was soo good.
Holden Attradies
This is probably the best post-Ultimatum Ultimate Spider-Man. The art is amazing, especially just about any panel with MJ and Gwen. The art brings a feeling of teenage hijinks and angst to the series that fit it just right. There is a particular panel with MJ and Gwen peeking round a corner at Peter that was just perfect and hysterical. Sara Pichelli is REALLY good and making a static comic panel feel like a moving clip in a movie.
Shaun
This is the volume in which Peter gets his affairs in order. The prelude to death of Spider-Man is where all the loose ends and hanging threads all get tied up or forever deferred. There's no real epic feel to this volume, just good old Spider-Man doing what he does and Peter sorting through his metaphoical junk on his days off. But there aren't many large changes in his life this time. Calm before the storm.
Magic Mike
There are a lot of good ideas in this volume of Ultimate Spider-Man. I like that Spider-Man is forced to train with the Ultimates. I also liked the whole fight between Mysterio and Black Cat. What I didn't care that much for was where it all ended up. It was just anti-climatic to me and things were left unexplained. Still, it's a fun volume that sets Spider-Man in a good direction.
Ian
Despite the ominous title, this feels like just another chapter--and a lackluster one, at that--of Peter's life. If Mysterio's plotline actually resolves--and if its momentum thus far is any indication, I don't think it will--Bendis'll have to climb uphill to make it feel like it belongs in the series.
Eric
One more volume to go until the big death. I've been reading this series for a more then a decade, it's sad to see it coming to an end. This volume was the usual goodness but the art is just plain gorgeous.
Sonic
Bendis has his schtick which is sometimes laden with schmaltz, but I still think it is awesome writing, plot, character, and dialogue -wise.
First rate art in here as well.
Fun stuff.
Brian
Some of the artwork here is amazing. Storylines are wrapping up (gee, I wonder why) but this book still does amazing things with teen life and characterization overall.
TJ Shelby
Great book and intro story arc for Spidey's death. Bendis has almost made the Ultimate Spidey series more pertinent than the baseline series.
Jacob
Some parts of this story arc might have resulted better with a revision, but overall I enjoyed the tale. My paperback edition has his cover.
Shannon Appelcline
A volume that really shows off that the heart of this Spider-Man is in its character moments--which comprise the vast majority of this book.
Bob Parks
Bendis rules. Can't wait for the next.
Steph
Hilarious. And well crafted.
Lauren
Lauren is currently reading it
Dec 21, 2014
  • Avenging Spider-Man: My Friends Can Beat up Your Friends
  • Ultimate Comics New Ultimates: Thor Reborn
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four, Vol. 2: Doom
  • Daredevil, Volume 2
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 14: Phoenix?

More about Brian Michael Bendis...
House of M Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 1: Power and Responsibility The New Avengers, Vol. 1: Breakout Powers, Vol. 1: Who Killed Retro Girl? Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 1: Cosmic Avengers