Start by marking “Cage Life” as Want to Read:
Cage Life

Cage Life

This collection of short stories by Karin Cox explores the choices and compromises we make in love, and how they can trap or liberate us depending on our mindset. Each story comes with an unexpected twist that makes reading all the way to the end imperative.

In "Cage Life," first published by [untitled] magazine in 2010 as "Still Life," a young mum feels like a prisoner in
Published July 18th 2011 (first published July 17th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Cage Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cage Life

Larry Marshall
Nov 13, 2011 Larry Marshall rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Cage Life is an assemblage of two short stories; each providing a view of life as a woman, at least these women. Both stories are well-written and I enjoyed both. But Caged Life demonstrates the difference between novels and short stories.

One can write a novel that is good, maybe even excellent, but it can never equal the power of an equally good short story. Reading short stories is somewhat like being a miner. You dig through the rocks, perfectly good rocks. Many have value, some less so. But
Cristina
May 15, 2014 Cristina rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in psych. aspects of dysfunctional relationships; could be debated in a book club
Recommended to Cristina by: a facebook group on literature
CAGE LIFE by Karin Cox is composed of two stand-alone novellas that cover the same main theme: the feeling of being captive in a sterile environment that blocks any attempt at creativity or productivity.

The first story is narrated by a woman, a young mother, who longs for her old life, when she felt free, surrounded by friends, being foolish and young. In an attempt to recover at least a hint of that life, she causes an accident that disturbs the course of events and marks her forever, as if bei
Darin
Feb 13, 2013 Darin rated it really liked it
Author Karin Cox does a great job of allowing the reader into the life of a young lady who interacts with a young man named Damien. They soon find themselves involved sexually and she comes up pregnant. While this young baby doesn't have the best of environments to live in this couple tries to do what is right. Their past is filled with regrets and mistakes and soon this young girl’s friend comes over for an afternoon away from the baby and gets her high. This event will change the course of li ...more
Dale
Jun 28, 2013 Dale rated it really liked it
The common theme uniting the two short stories by Australian writer Karin Cox in this kindle e-book is a caged in, trapped feeling.

The first short story ("Cage Life") features a mis-matched couple, a free spirit wife and her straitlaced husband. She feels trapped in her marriage, living in a soul-less house and raising a toddler. They met in college in a drug-filled flophouse (there is way too much description of this part of the story for me) and she is afraid that she and her husband have move
Rute Canhoto
Mar 28, 2012 Rute Canhoto rated it really liked it
CRÍTICA
Li durante a maratona de 25 de Março de 2012 e atribuo-lhe quatro estrelas.
“Cage Life” surge combinada com outra história intitulada “The Usurper”. Gostei mais da primeira, pois era mais emotiva. Creio que a autora transmitiu bem os sentimentos que afligiam as personagens. É uma história dramática e o final deixou-me a ansiar por mais. Se fosse bem explorada (no sentido de se tornar uma narrativa mais extensa e aprofundada), daria um livro bem ao estilo de Nicholas Sparks e não lhe ficari
Mandy White
Feb 11, 2013 Mandy White rated it it was amazing
This book consists of two stories, covering some rather dark subject matter.
The first one takes an unexpected and heartbreaking turn, but ends on a note of hope.
The second story was my favorite of the two. It has a sort of sad magic to it. The surprise ending compelled me to return to the beginning and read the story again, seeing it from a completely different perspective. It’s kind of a special thing when a story can do that.
Brilliantly written, well executed stories. I’m looking forward to re
KyBunnies
Oct 02, 2011 KyBunnies rated it really liked it
Recommended to KyBunnies by: amazon
This is one of those books that make's a reader think about things that has happened in there life. It is a sad, crying, wonderful book. The author really captured the beginning and end of life in each story. I put it under my inspirational shelf because it could inspire a reader to change things in there life. Hope to read future work by this author. This is a free book in the Kindle store.
Michele Perry
Aug 02, 2011 Michele Perry rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
These extremely thought-provoking, emotive, eloquently written narratives will gift the reader with nothing short of a satisfying, mesmerising read. The stories are layered with meaning and questions will be asked – but Karin’s exceptional writing style subtlety gives clues that allow you to understand and appreciate the plots’ deeper interpretations. I highly recommend Karin’s work and have no doubt that any reader will enjoy delving into the stories she creates.
Heather Adkins
Aug 01, 2011 Heather Adkins rated it it was amazing
Cox is an eloquent and talented writer whose poetic prose in the two short stories of "Cage Life" draws the reader in. "Cage Life" is beautiful and heartbreaking, while "The Usurper" has a surprise ending that took me completely off-guard. Her descriptions are vivid and her characters are real. I'm looking forward to reading much more by Karin Cox.
Arielle
Oct 13, 2011 Arielle rated it liked it
This book is made up of 2 short stories. Like life, they both are just snapshots of a time in the lives of the characters, and both left me feeling sort of incomplete at the end. Both were good, but the second was the better one, in my opinion.
Alonna Shaw
Jan 23, 2013 Alonna Shaw rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers interested in behavior and having their heart strings pulled..
Recommended to Alonna by: Indie Writer's Unite
Well written and engaging, both stories are reflections on life and loss and going forward. The second story, my favorite, kept me on my toes. I'm looking forward to reading more by this author.
Karen
Sep 30, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it
Two wonderfully written stories by an author with a talent for beautiful prose. Sad subjects but a good, very quick read.
Sue
Oct 02, 2011 Sue rated it really liked it
Very cool stories with a totally unexpected twist. Only drawback is I really wish there were more!
Chrystal
Review to come soon
Laurie
Feb 09, 2013 Laurie rated it liked it
I was surprised by this book. The subject matter was incredibly dark – Uglier and grimmer than I was expecting. Both stories deal with serious subjects and are told using a no-nonsense type of prose that is succinct and strangely compelling. The writing and story execution is very well done, and the stories each critically examine different social issues at a personal level, though they both explore the idea of feeling trapped, unfulfilled and lonely.

I read the entire book in a single afternoon
L.E.Olteano
Originally posted at Butterfly-o-Meter Books on Nov 8 2011:

Wow!
Ok, so I’m gonna start by saying I wouldn’t be able to pick one story I liked the most out of the two. But it was a strange love/hate relationship between me and not the stories as written works, but the stories of the characters involved. And I bet you’re already like .

The writing is very, very good. It has it all, substance, poise, elegance, great rhythm, gorgeous descriptive mad skillz, beautiful imagery (in places), slightly hor
Denisa Howe
Jan 30, 2014 Denisa Howe rated it really liked it
This book had two very unique stories in it. The first one was simply amazing… The character started with nothing.. Hanging out in a dope short stop close to college and ended up in elite life with all she could ever want desire or ask for. She felt caged… adored, loved provided for within her marriage and child … and yet the invisible bars were there. Her free spirit was a memory that she brought forth one afternoon. A long time visitor came… with a tragic story and together they went down memo ...more
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

Karin Cox worked as an editor in Australia and the UK before turning to writing full time. She has written dozens of titles including travel guides, poetry, children's books and fiction. Cage Life is an electronic publication containing two short stories that explore the common theme of love. I thought them both well structured within the constraints of the format, and elegantly written.

In the first story 'Cage Life', after which the book is titled, Cox thoughtfully explores the emotional restl
Ginger
More like 3.5 stars. This book included 2 short stories: Cage Life and Usurper. The first story is about a young married woman who feels like she's living in a cage. She takes a few hours out of her normal day to unwind a bit when the unthinkable happens. I won't say any more as it will ruin it for others.
In Usurper (second short story), an 80-something year old man has a much younger woman who was his care-taker before becoming his mistress. I'm not sure exactly how to explain this one...the st
Graham Downs
Sep 02, 2013 Graham Downs rated it really liked it
These two short stories fit the title of the book perfectly.

Still Life was amazing! It tells the story of a young single mother, disillusioned with her marriage and her husband. It's very believable, and I really felt her frustration throughout. My heart sank at some of the tragedies she had to endure, and I cheered inwardly at some of the victories that she won.

The Usurper was also very good. It's about an ailing old man who's been taken in by a much younger women, who loves him and whom he fal
Peggy
Oct 12, 2012 Peggy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was 2 short stories I enjoyed the 1st one but the 2nd one just confused me until the end when you realize the main character wasn't what you thought he was.
Kirsteen
Kirsteen rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2013
Lauren
Lauren rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2013
Cheryl Shireman
Cheryl Shireman rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2014
Nikki
Nikki rated it it was ok
Mar 08, 2013
Agnes
Agnes rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2012
Kenna Widner
Kenna Widner rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2016
Jenna
Jenna rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2013
Susan R Runde
Susan R Runde rated it it was ok
Jun 07, 2015
Carson hall
Carson hall rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Crazy Emma
  • A Chunk of Hell
  • Confessions of a Naughty Headmaster
  • Message for Minerva (Garland of Druids, #9)
  • Stop and Blog the Roses
  • Dandy Detects (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery #1.5)
  • Haunted Destiny (Midnight Dragonfly, #1.5)
  • An Amish Christmas Quilt
  • Sporting Wood
  • Stakeout for Love
  • ABC's Revenge: Pilot Episode Script
  • A Delightful Arrangement (The Gentlemen Next Door, #1)
  • Haunting Obsession
  • A Very Holly Christmas
  • Losing My Virginity to My Best Friend's Daddy - First Time Sex Erotica Story
  • Prelude to Reveille:  A Vietnam Awakening
  • Millicent Marie Is Not My Name
  • The Hunters
KARIN COX is an Australian author who writes in her “spare time” while being a fulltime mum to a precocious daughter and a black cat with the improbable name of "Ping Pong." She is the author of more than 50 trade-published titles, including children’s and adult fiction, biographies and travel guides, and Australian natural and social history texts, several of which are award-winning. Being so bus ...more
More about Karin Cox...