Mary Anne Saves the Day (The Babysitters Club, #4)

Mary Anne Saves the Day (The Baby-Sitters Club #4)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  3,746 ratings  ·  91 reviews
The Babysitters Club is in big trouble. All four girls are having a huge fight, and Mary Anne feels caught in the middle. She isnt usually the leader of their group, but when the club leaves her to run things, Mary Anne decides it's time to take charge. Can she save the BSC before it falls apart?
Hardcover
Published August 16th 1996 by Scholastic Hippo (first published February 1987)

Ciara
when i was a kid, i was never into mary anne's character. i couldn't relate to all the shyness & crying, & it's no fun to read a book all about a shy character that cries all the time. i started reading the babysitters club series the month they started being published, & my dad took me to the bookstore every month so i could pick up the newest book (well, every three months at the beginning). this is the first of the mary anne books & damn...even the cover is a yawn. mary anne's...more
Robin
True story: every time I've ever swept my bangs to the side and the bangs have gone too far, forming a daffodil bulb-type shape, I think, "Ugh. This is so Mary Anne on the cover of Mary Anne Saves The Day." (Original cover, of course.) It's a weird cover. Besides Mary Anne's odd appearance, Jenny Prezzioso's face looks like the man in the moon.

This was a good reread, but I have to say- Mary Anne's father's insistence upon keeping his preteen daughter positively infantile is incredibly creepy. Wh...more
Rachel Brand
I got this off BookMooch as I never got the chance to read it as a child and it was the first Mary Anne book. A very sweet story, and definitely one of the better novels written by Ann herself, not the ghostwriters. It had a good message in it and was a nice read. 10/10
Dee
May 25, 2013 Dee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girls 8 and up
FINALLY I got to finish this! It's a bittersweet feeling, really. What a fantastic book. I don't know if it's nostalgia or if it's the writing or a combination of both, but I was so impressed by it, especially as an adult. I thought it was great when I read it twenty-odd years ago, and my opinion hasn't changed.

These books are out of print and this one just happened to be in a freebie pile. My friend snatched it up for me (thanks Diana!) and I'm so happy she did. Now I'm also incredibly disappo...more
Aj'zalaya Miller
Mary Anne feels really bad about what happened at the babysitters club meeting.Mary anne went home and ate dinner, but her dad noticed she wasnt eating,her dad was asking her questions but she wasnt replying like she used to she was down and upset.Mary anne has never felt this way about anything,she had a big part in the fight to, she called the girls stuck up,conceited snob,job hog,mary anne was still upset...She wish she shouldnt have said those words..I think the main problem in the story is...more
Amanda Caldwell
I've always been relatively disinterested in Mary Anne, one of the more boring members of The BSC... or so I thought. I don't recall reading any of her books when I was younger. I didn't realize Mary Anne had such an attitude. I guess this is the first book where she really comes around and gains a mind of her own. I also didn't expect the introduction of Dawn in this book, though it makes perfect sense since her book is the 5th in the series.

In this book all the babysitters are in a row over a...more
Marian
I have such a soft spot for MA Saves the Day. It's the first time MA really stands up for herself and it also sets up her fighting style with the BSC. She takes their abuse until she snaps and then she hits them right where it hurts the most.

Most importantly for me, Dawn is introduced and I love the weird triangle it throws Dawn/MA/Kristy into.
Julie Sondra Decker
Mary Anne, the shy and conservative babysitter who's being raised by a single dad, gets her first crack at narrating a book. In this one, she's got to use her practical skills to determine whether a child she's babysitting needs immediate medical attention, and she's only got herself to rely on because her friends are being petty and squabbling amongst themselves, so she feels she has no one to lean on. I liked that this book did a good job realistically portraying how fights between young peopl...more
melissa
Nothing defines my preteen era more than The Babysitter's Club. OH, how much I would like to list all 179 books that I read. Instead, I will only add this one as it was the first one I read. I bought it by chance at one of those mobile book fairs that came to school every few months. Do they still have those things? They were great.
Rylee
I liked this book. I really felt for Mary Anne because I have the same personality as her and I I'd know what it would feel like to be In that situation.
Nerija
This week in Stoneybrook, our favorite Babysitters get in their biggest fight ever (so far) because Kristy forgets to ask the others if they'd like to babysit their neighbors' adorable new baby before taking the job herself. Names are called. Fight lasts entire book.

Meanwhile, Mary Anne proceeds on a quest to prove she's mature enough to stay out later and quit wearing her hair in braids. (view spoiler)...more
Laura Hughes
During a Baby-sitters Club feud, Mary Anne handles a child's medical emergency on her own.

The book starts with a bang: just as it looks like the first chapter will be a "here are the characters, here’s a typical meeting" set-up, the girls suddenly get into a huge fight. Kristy is so excited to get a call from Mrs. Newton asking to care for Jamie and baby Lucy (continuity from book #3, where caring for Lucy was a big deal) that she takes it on the spot, not offering it to the other members. This...more
Janet
May 17, 2014 Janet rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children ages 9-13
Recommended to Janet by: b
I read this book as a child, and enjoyed it very much. More recently, however, my 9 year old read it. Here is her review"

"This is my favorite book in the world, not just my favorite BSC book. I liked when the baby sitters club got in a fight and when Mary Anne had to stand up to her father. It showed Mary Anne learning to be brave and stick up for herself in order to do things the other sitters get to do."
4mckenzie
The main characters in my book are Mary Anne, Claudia, and Stacy. They are best friends and they have started a babysitting club. They had a meeting like always. But that is when the conflict comes in. They get into a fight about taking babysitting jobs.

Mary Anne is trying to be the peace maker and tries to fix things. She writes notes but doesn't have the guts to give them to her friends. In the mean time she makes a new friend at lunch. Dawn (her new friend) invites Mary Anne to her house aft...more
Kitty
This was the first Baby-Sitters Club book I ever read, at the age of nine. I don't know why I chose this one rather than the first book, but it was the one that got me hooked on the series for a long time. I thought the girls were so cool! Mary Anne was someone I could relate to a bit. I was very shy at the time, just like Mary Anne. I liked the way she grew as a character, and finally stood up to her father at the end. Seeing Mary Anne do that made me feel less timid and more outgoing. From thi...more
Katie Fitzgerald
All in all, this book is one of the better ones in the original quartet. The girls' fight is very realistic, and shows the immaturity middle school conflicts can sometimes have. The babysitters seem sort of perfect in the later books, but here they felt like real tweens. This book also has the best cover of any of the re-releases. I love the use of band-aids to hint at the medical emergency, but the presence of peace signs, which also hints at Mary Anne's attempts to bring peace to the BSC's big...more
Swankivy
In this book, Mary Anne has to deal with two major crises: taking care of an extremely sick kid, and dealing with a fight of unprecedented seriousness between her friends. The book did a good job showing some things a young, pre-driving babysitter might need to think of while taking care of a kid who suddenly gets a fever, and it also showed this young girl's frustration over how protective her father is over her. Also, Mary Anne deals with her shyness, and ends up being able to meet someone new...more
jacky
I read about 20-25 of these books. I read them in fifth and sixth grade. I strongly remember wanting to read these because they seemed cool and my older sister read a few of them. I remember that our library had a little display of them and I also bought a lot of them through the book catalogs we got at school. I remember most strongly the set up of the books; each book started explaining the club and describing each of the members. I also strongly remember the covers.

Mary Ann was my favorite. S...more
April

Awesome books that girls will love! And the...more
Lisa
Yay!! My favourite BSC member is here! Dawn!
Dawn
The fourth BSC book is narrated by Mary Anne and tells the story of a major fight between the members of the Baby-Sitters Club, Mary Anne's struggle to grow up in the eyes of her father, and introduces Dawn (the blonde new girl from California, whom I always felt a connection with as we have the same and were from California). Classic BSC: fun, baby sitting, and juvenile overreactions. The only thing missing from this book was the extensive descriptions of the fantastic '80s fashions Claudia and...more
Idea Smith
After a great start with 'Kristy's Big Idea', this is the second high point of the Baby-sitters club series. Mary-Anne, the most low-key character of the four is probably the most interesting (and stays that way even after the addition of several other members). This book explores the start of her transition from strictly monitored child to a mature young lady. It also introduces another major character, Dawn to the club. The story moves an under radar character into the top of the line but does...more
Lizzie
This was a really great book. Again, I did not read this book, I read the graphic novel of this book.

I loved this book b/c it had other problems than the main problem in the story. For instance
Mary Anne and the Babysitters Club were fighting, while Mary Anne and her father were working out new rules for Mary Anne.

Mary Anne is the shy girl of the club, but she breaks out of her shell now and then and I love that. This book she shows she is not the girl in the corner anymore, she's the star!
Ruby Rose Scarlett
This is definitely one of my favourites, probably because Mary-Anne and Dawn are my favourite girls. The plot is quite good too with plenty of things going on - the Club isn't speaking to each other which leads to very awkward baby-sitting situations, we have our first emergency during baby-sitting time, Dawn is introduced and there's a sweet backstory revealed about Mary-Anne and Dawn's parents. Really good book, Martin really loved her characters and it shows.
Brooke R. Busse
I should probably explain why I've been reading these books when I'm about six years older than the intended audience.

When I was younger, I loved these books. However, I wasn't real big on reading them in order. It didn't really matter to me then, but I missed out on quite a few installments of the story. I'm trying to remedy that now.

Also, to be fair since I'm "old," I'm trying to rate these books by what I would have thought of them then. :)
Delicious Strawberry
I didn't read the books in order because I 'got into them' when there were already like I don't know, fifty books. I had been wanting to read this for a while but it always seemed to be out at the library or whatever. When I finally got the chance to read it, I wasn't disappointed. Mary Anne has been treated like such a little girl for so long, but in this book she shows how mature she can be and wins some respect from her dad. Loved this book!
Brian
In my ongoing trip back to childhood, I tackle the 4th BSC book, Mary Anne Saves the Day. Mary Anne is TIRED of being treated like a baby. She wants to wear he hair the way she wants to, and put up posters of kitties on her wall!. And on top of this, the BSC are in a huge fight! This was a cute read, and it brought back memories. I also forgot that my favorite character, Dawn was introduced in this book.
Natalí
Finally I read the first Mary Anne book (most of the books I read back then where Mary Anne's) It game a different glimpse of the Mary Anne I knew, as this is a Mary Anne pre-standing out to her father. Though, I felt frustrated at times by Mary Anne and her inability of talking about things. And at many points of the story, all the girls seemed childish to me. Nice book but kind of made the girls seem spoiled.
Mia
Jan 19, 2010 Mia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids (especially girls) between 8 and 12. As well as anyone who grew up with this series like I did.
Shelves: childrens
Picked this up for .50 at the book store. I wanted to see how well it held up and I was surprised at how good it still was. The girls get into a fight and without her friends beside her Mary Anne must learn what it is to be strong herself. This is a book about solving problems and growing up. I can't wait to find more of these to read again and I will be buying the prequel when it comes out.
Leah
Oh, the melodrama. These girls jump to insults like it's their favorite hobby. Dawn thinks her entire friendship has been a scheme, and in response Mary Anne tells her to fall down the stairs? Yikes. I did like the development of the Mary Anne maturity plot and the Dawn plot, though. And their parents' storyline is more accessible to me than it ever was.
  • Choosing Sides (Sweet Valley Twins, #4)

Ann gets the ideas for her books from many different places. Some are based on personal experiences, while others are based on childhood me...more
More about Ann M. Martin...
Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1) A Dog's Life: The Autobiography of a Stray A Corner of the Universe The Doll People (Doll People, #1) The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)