Start by marking “Squanto and the First Thanksgiving” as Want to Read:
Squanto and the First Thanksgiving

Squanto and the First Thanksgiving

- Timeline - Maps - Table of Contents - Recipes - Note to Adults
Published December 3rd 2005 by Carolrhoda Books (first published February 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Squanto and the First Thanksgiving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Squanto and the First Thanksgiving

Dec 04, 2013 Leslie rated it really liked it
Here is anotherbook that attempts to take a brutally honest look at history for the curious young reader who is between 2nd and 5th grade and is old enough to know more about what REALLY happened, though that knowledge may be sometimes unpleasant. So many children's book paint such a rosy picture that it's no wonder today's kids can have such unrealistic dreamy attitudes. I was a grown woman before I knew anything more about Thanksgiving than what I learned in elementary school: Some nice but pi ...more
I didn't like the afterward. It is inaccurate. We don't celebrate Thanksgiving on the last Thursday of November. We celebrate it on the fourth Thursday of November. Authors should be careful to be accurate, especially when you make note of the fact you want them to know.
This is an informative book about the life of Squanto and how the help he gave to the Pilgrims helped them to survive their first years in Massachusetts. Without his assistance, the first Thanksgiving might never have occurred.

I wasn't sure how engaging this book would be; it was first published thirty years ago and lacks the glossy spreads and factoid-filled narratives that are so popular today. But I was actually impressed witht the author's ability to tell Squanto's story without being overl
Dec 04, 2014 Cris rated it did not like it
Badly researched. And making gueses in the book? They might have had popcorn or maybe they had soda with their turkey......
Lisa Driskill
Nov 18, 2015 Lisa Driskill rated it it was ok
Shelves: work
It was ok but not great. I did not actually read it to my students.
Mar 11, 2010 John rated it it was amazing
I like this book alot becuase you can see and learn how did Native of Americans got alone with White people and how Native of Americans teached alot of things to the White people.
Nov 14, 2011 Sandybear76 rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
I read this one to a class of third graders today in preparation of the holiday next week.
Nov 23, 2010 Thomas rated it liked it
It made me want to cook.
Michael Odiambo
Feb 26, 2013 Michael Odiambo marked it as to-read
it is so nice
Ashli added it
Aug 13, 2016
Missy Spencer
Missy Spencer marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Debbie Lee
Debbie Lee marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Jamie marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Elise G
Elise G rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Andrew rated it it was ok
Nov 30, 2015
Danna rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2015
Andrea added it
Nov 09, 2015
Jessalyn Marshall
Jessalyn Marshall marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
RAW added it
Sep 16, 2015
Alice marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Jenny rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2015
Jennifer Reardon
Jennifer Reardon rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2015
Familia Munguía-Monzón
Familia Munguía-Monzón rated it did not like it
Mar 19, 2015
Mily rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2015
Kathy rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2015