Start by marking “Fury (New Species, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fury (New Species, #1)

Fury (New Species #1)

4.18  ·  Rating Details ·  18,766 Ratings  ·  1,166 Reviews
Ellie is horrified to discover the pharmaceutical company she works for is doing illegal experiments. Company scientists have spliced human and animal DNA, creating exotic new species. One such “experiment” captures her heart and she’ll do anything to save him—even if he hates her for it.

Published July 27th 2011 by Ellora's Cave Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Fury, please sign up.

Genevieve I would venture to say that it is the quality of the content. I usually don't pay for romance novels, but for her I make the exception. They have a…moreI would venture to say that it is the quality of the content. I usually don't pay for romance novels, but for her I make the exception. They have a great story line and are well worth the investment in my option.(less)
Jessica Amazon would be the one. However Chapters have it on the site but only a few of them.

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
4.5 pioneer couple Stars

Spoilers

photo shashay_zps5iiqvffk.gif

“Sense of smell. I know you want me. Your scent is so sweet when you are aroused. I want to lick you and feast on your desire. You’ve been torturing me for days.”

Fury is the First book in the New Species Series. This is my first time reading a Laurann Dohner novel, and I really liked it. I really love the different take on the world of shifters that she made. I have read nothing like it before and that alone made me intrigued. Add to that a evil pharmaceutical
Lisa
Nov 20, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it

4 Stars!

description

Fury is book one in Laurann Dohner's New Species series. I have been meaning to start this series for quite some time now; however, the price of the books had me a little reluctant. I bit the bullet so to speak and am very glad that I finally decided to give this series a go. This book (and series) sort of falls under a PNR/Sci-Fi-esque genre and for me it was definitely a guilty pleasure read that I enjoyed immensely. I found the concept and the overall story arc very intriguing and ori
Mona
Sep 12, 2013 Mona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Alpha Male Lovers!
Recommended to Mona by: Sammy Loves Books
"I want you. I hate it but I hurt to be inside you..."

description

Amazing, MIND blowing and a captivating read. This PNR series surprised me with how good it is. From the compassionate, tortured characters, to this new world I suddenly stumbled across. I was immediately and completely engaged from the prologue, all the way till the end.
description

New Species, born to a world where their existence is filled with sorrow, humiliation and pain. A species illegally created from human and animal DNA. Chained and held in
Sandra
5 MY-HEART-AND-PANTIES-ARE-MELTING-OVER-HERE STARS

"I desire your taste, the sounds you make as my tongue teases your little bud and it swells with pleasure."

so excited gif3

Fury was SUCH a wonderful book!
I was actually a bit nervous since all the reviewers on GR rated it 2-4 stars.
It's still a mystery to me as to why, because i LOVED it!

f5b9ed94 69ce 453b a1a9 ccd94f7de35e zpsa2a99c5e

Fury has never known compassion or love. He’s spent his life in a cell, chained and abused by humans. The one woman he allowed himself to trust betrayed him. Now he’s free
Melanie
3 stars

Well....... I picked up this notorious story so I could finally assuage my raging curiosity. Going into it, I was well aware of the blaring similarities between 'Fury', (and the rest of the New Species series from Dohner) and the older, but more well-known 'Breeds' series from Lora Leigh that I, and hordes of others, (mostly) love.

After having now read it, I can say there's no denying the plot and storyline of 'Fury' is indeed quite similar to that of the 'Breeds' novels and it does bear
Kristen
4 Steamy Stars

Fury is intense, intriguing, fun, and extremely steamy. There are some editing issues that make the writing feel disjointed and convoluted at times (shame on you Eleanor's Cave). Other than that, I very much enjoyed this great start to the series.
Daniella
Dec 02, 2015 Daniella rated it it was ok
Dear Fury,

By the time you're reading this I'd already moved on. It's not you; it's me. LOLJK, it's totally you, sorry.
description

Look, our relationship started really well. I adored you in the prologue, and while Ellie's penis grabbing actions did not really seem rational to me, I was more than willing to shrug them off because you were such an interesting guy. I wanted to get to know you better.

And so I read on.

But you see, whatever infatuation I had for you from the moment I met you quickly vanished w
Jilly
Mar 03, 2016 Jilly rated it it was amazing
I admit that I love when non-humans try to human and they aren't quite pulling it off. I love animals and find them super amusing, so when books do a good job putting those characteristics into personalities, I love it. Whether it's shifters, aliens, talking animals, or "other" trying to human or understand humans, I'm in.

Exhibit A - this is one of my favorite memes.

In this book, we have a new species that has been created by the evil drug company. You see, drug companies are evil. The desire to
Aestas Book Blog
Jan 21, 2012 Aestas Book Blog rated it it was ok
DNF. Sigh. This has only happened to me 3 times before, but I actually could not finish this book.

I really struggled with this one. The world/concept/story was good, but the writing was just so BAD!! And the sex was so beyond cheesy, even from the start, it was literally making me cringe and/or roll my eyes.

I stopped reading at 65%. But if I had to rate what I’d read so far, I’d give it about 2.5 stars – somewhere between ‘barely okay’ and ‘meh’.

It was just to the point where I was forcing mys
Kirsten
Dec 04, 2014 Kirsten rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kirsten by: Erika
3.5-4 Genetic stars!

photo imagejpg1_zpsc714e163.jpg

Mercile Industries is an evil drug research and development company. They are keeping human beings captive to conduct their studies. The test subjects have been genetically altered using animal DNA. Though primarily human, the testees have animal like qualities through their senses and strength. Some have even acquired some animal-like features, depending on what they were blended with.

Ellie has been enlisted as a spy of sorts. She is to try to gather information in order t
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
Eh. That's pretty much all I have to say about the book. It was a alright read, cool story and nice, interesting characters, but other than that? Meh. I did like the concept of the New Species not acting human, it reminded me a bit of the series The Others by Anne Bishop. I love possessive, un-human, powerful, sexy and animalistic men, and Fury was all that. I just wanted more of it, I guess. I'm not sure, at all, if I want to continue the series. I feel kinda done with this world already :O
“I
Denisa
This was so much better than I expected!

I kept hearing about this series and I kept putting if off. Now I had nothing to read and I was kind of looking for something between "meh" and "nice". What I didn't expect was to get an incredible book instead!

Still, I would have wanted a bit more of the plot, the story builder. I'm hoping to find more in the next one though.

Yup yup, this really is as good as everyone says it is. I'm glad I read it!
Future-Jess ✮ The Book Eating Dinosaur ✮
This book is RIDICULOUS.

I should have hated it. But instead I ate this right up!

This has been on my radar for ages but it wasn't until Kate enthusiastically recommended it that I decided to jump on in.

It has everything that I love hate in a paranormal romance novel:

~Insta-love.
~Miscommunication between characters.
~An alpha who is so alpha that he chokes out the leading lady to get her to his bed.
~Dubious consent.
~Scent descriptions of vanilla and strawberries.
~So much drama that there could have
Ingela
3 1/2 Stars - intense, rather silly but so fun to read!

I must start by saying that I have double feelings regarding this story. On one hand, this is too cheesy, very sentimental and a bit too dramatic. There are big emotions, an overheated caveman and all obstacles that are possible. On the other hand, it is good and fun entertainment.

photo b19b5f38_zps87d7ce4b.gif  photo kissing_zpsbed499e9.gif  photo b19b5f38_zps87d7ce4b.gif  photo kissing_zpsbed499e9.gif  photo b19b5f38_zps87d7ce4b.gif

Ridiculous? Languorous? Yes, I'm sorry to say; sometimes. You can't get away from that in some scenes and in some dialogues between the characters it bec
Alp
May 18, 2015 Alp rated it really liked it
3.75/5

To be honest, the cover made me a bit hesitant to pick this book up. I wasn't sure if it was my cup of tea, but my GR friends seemed to love it so I gave it a go. Turned out, this was good and once I started, I couldn't stop!

Fury is an interesting character. He has both human and animal sides and that made him look so naive in some way. He's so straightforward, protective, and possessive. I liked Ellie, too. She has a kind heart, warmth, and openness towards Fury.

This is another one of my
Alex is The Romance Fox
I have just finished reading the entire Breeds Series by Lora Leigh, which I loved and was on the lookout for a similar series. After reading so many glowing series on the New Species Series by Laurann Dohner, I decided to give it a try.

Fury is the first book in the series and gives us an introduction into the world of human/animal experimentation done by the government.

What struck me from the beginning was how so alike it was to the Breeds Series.

Corrupt scientists are creating/testing a new s
Karla

4 Stars! Surprised at how much I enjoyed it!

I know some reviewers compare this series to another one with a similar concept, but since I haven't read that one, I can't make the comparison. So, it was unlike anything I've read, and I rather enjoyed Fury. Lots of alpha posturing, but a pretty engaging plot with a likeable hero and heroine.

I listened to the audiobook and Vanessa Chambers does a stand out job narrating. This is a steamy one kids, so I wouldn't suggest driving, slicing and dicing, o
MelissaB
This book has a set up remarkably similar to Lora Leigh's Breed series, almost uncomfortably so. I am a big fan of LL's Breed series but as we all know, her new work is badly edited (or not edited at all) and just not up to par. So I was kind of glad to read something similar that had a decent story that entertained me. I liked the leads, the heroine had more power in this setup because there was no mating heat to tie them down. The hero is dominant but the heroine is strong enough to stand up f ...more
SheLove2Read
Apr 13, 2012 SheLove2Read rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2013
I feel like I should be offended on Lora Leigh's behalf. This is so INCREDIBLY similar to her Breed series it borders on plagiarism, at least in my opinion. I wasn't impressed with the writing or the story and absolutely hated both lead characters. Won't be reading anymore in this series.
Sammy Loves Books
I enjoyed the opening book to the New Species series more than expected. Fury and Ellie meet under extreme circumstances as she saves him from a violent rape and death by a coworker.

description

Unfortunately she is forced to frame Fury for her actions because she is on a classified mission. Months later, Ellie meets Fury again as a free man but he feels that she owes him payment for her betrayal. His plans for retribution are misguided but he is a man obsessed!

description

New Species are now free but they still living
Barbara➰
This was a reread for me....not sure how many it was. It is one of my all-time favorite books and I will never get tired of reading it. I just LOVE how obsessed Fury is with Ellie.

“I want you. I hate it but I hurt to be inside you, to know what it would feel like to have you wrapped around me, and the pleasure I think I could find with you. I’ve never wanted a woman more. Tell me I can have you or help me remember that I can’t ever forgive what you did to me. Say something, anything, to remind
CC
Re read via audible. I liked Fury more this go around. Probably because I know what is coming and do not get so frustrated by his behavior and her acquiescence to it all. She was still too much of a martyr but I got how he had no clue what was going on since this was the first New Species/human relationship.

Prior comments:

I liked Fury and the world LD built. It got me interested in more. Once they were past their issues, he and Elllie were great together. Lots of action, conflict and tons of se
Aileene
BR-ing this with my lovely gal pal Jess today 7 Dec.

Would this be as good as the Not-Hoth blue aliens series? LETS FIND OUT!

And I did find out...

Hey, you!
Yes, you, Not-Hoth blue aliens...this is for you, boys!

*faces the other side and gushes*
Well, hello New Species!

I liked the book - end of review.
Giving it 3.5 stars

.......

Alright. Alright. Before I get more pointed stares and raised eyebrows, no, I'm not ditching my blue aliens. I have invested too much emotions on my Not-Hot
Erika

Well....I thought if I re-read this, I might have a better reaction than I did the first time around, but unfortunately, I really didn't. The one thing that worked better for me this time was Dohner's writing style. When I first read this, last year, I wasn't hooked on the style. But I kept reading more books and eventually found myself in love with the series, as a whole.

For me though, Fury still had some issues. I didn't like the hate sex vibe going on in the first 30-40%. (just on F
Dee
Re-read March 2015

I decided to pick up this series again as had really enjoyed the couple that I had originally read.....I still feel a little uncomfortable about the similarities with that other series but the stories are good so putting that feeling aside.

November 2011 = 4 Stars
March 2015 = 4 Stars

Original review November 2011

A majority of reviewers compare this very closely to another well known authors works and I cannot disagree with them. I did feel a little uncomfortable in the beginnin
 B.E.Love
Jul 01, 2012 B.E.Love rated it it was amazing
**re-reading (couldn't say how many times I have read this)
This is one of my favorite series, of all time. Laurann Dohner writes her heroe's like it's nobodys business. Ahh I love Fury, another great re-read!
Dina
Aug 21, 2011 Dina rated it really liked it
Recommended to Dina by: MelissaB
3 1/2 stars

Laurann Dohner's New Species = Lora Leigh's Breeds with better editing (not sure if that's a compliment, as that isn't hard to accomplish, LOL)
Mariℓina
May 04, 2013 Mariℓina rated it really liked it
3,5 Stars

TRUE STORY
Fury is the accurate name. Passionate + a bit Nuts.

This book is totally new to me.. I have never before read something like that..
I liked it a lot.. I also had some issues too.. But generally it was pretty nice and i will continue reading the series..

THOUGHTS ABOUT THE BOOK
- At first i was heartbroken with the way they were treating Fury and so happy with what Ellie did.
- Fury is an Alpha Male.
- Many things happened and the story progressed a lot, it wasn't only about sex an
Future Slayer Girl
I have to be honest. When I first stumbled across this book I didn’t want to read it. I saw it recommended with Lora Leigh’s breed series, and a lot of reviews spoke that it was a total copy of the breed series. They are very much wrong, and I find it hard to believe they even read the book. This book is totally unique and the only thing that is ‘similar’ is human and animal DNA being spliced. As far as the rest of the plotline goes, it is unique and in its own class. For a first book in the ser ...more
Flavs is Mrs David Gandy♥~♥’
I am so not into books like this. Cross species and experiments and all that hundred and ten things,
But I was on this website called: http://smbookobsessions.com/
And Mistress M was raving about this author and how she loves her books and etc. So I thought okay let me check it out.

WOW!! Holy molly. This book was awesome.
All the trials and issues that Fury and Ellie had to go through.
The horrible experiments these Mercile people did, makes me wonder how these people are actually human beings.
But
Romance Novel Boo...: Sifi romance can't find the book (SOLVED) 3 24 Apr 10, 2016 09:34AM
Alpha Males/Books like this 15 228 Mar 21, 2015 05:40AM
Recommendations for series similar to New Species? 10 405 Jan 31, 2015 12:50PM
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect Narrator? 2 19 Dec 31, 2014 09:15PM
  • Omega Mine (Alpha and Omega, #1)
  • Sought (Brides of the Kindred, #3)
  • Calder (Tales of the Shareem, #4)
  • Elizabeth's Wolf (Breeds, #3; Wolf Breeds, #1)
  • Hold
  • Beast (A Faery Story, #2)
  • The Demon Slave (Shadow Quest #2)
  • Demon's Captive (War Tribe, #1)
  • Monroe (Skin Walkers, #7)
  • Accidental Abduction (Alien Abduction, #1)
  • The Playful Prince (Lords of the Var, #2)
  • Grim (Tornians, #1)
  • Steel Beauty (Halle Pumas, #4; Poconos Pack, #0.5)
3190846
I had a rather short area here telling a little about me but then I had more than a few people ask me to expand it so... here goes. LOL. I'm a full time home 'supervisor' which is a nice word for saying I'm a housewife. I'm married happily, I met my dream guy 20 years ago, and we have 4 children. I live in Southern California and I can't function without iced coffee. I believe in romance, I've alw ...more
More about Laurann Dohner...

New Species (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Slade (New Species, #2)
  • Valiant (New Species, #3)
  • Justice (New Species, #4)
  • Brawn (New Species, #5)
  • Wrath (New Species, #6)
  • Tiger (New Species, #7)
  • Obsidian (New Species, #8)
  • Shadow (New Species, #9)
  • Moon (New Species, #10)
  • True (New Species, #11)

“You are ours and he should have known not to touch you."

"I'm yours? I thought you hated me."

Kit stepped out of the bathroom. "We don't hate you. You're our pet."

"Kit!" Rusty shook her head. "Don't say that. You'll offend her."

Kit shrugged "She is. She's so little and cute. She yaps around trying to please like... What are they called? A Yorkie?"

Rusty sighed. "We decided she's more similar to a cute little poodle with her long blonde hair." She flashed a smile at Ellie. "Don't take it offensively please. We enjoy having you around and you amuse us to no end.”
50 likes
“Mooch? What does that word mean?”

Ellie smiled. “It’s a term when you live with someone and take something freely from the person who has to work for it. It’s not a good thing. It’s hard to explain that one. I guess I could describe it as I’m a burden to him.”

“How? He already had a room you could have.”

Ellie struggled with her thoughts. Some words were hard to explain. “Yes. He did but usually you don’t live with someone unless you are a couple. Then it is acceptable if you share food and a home. If you aren’t, then both parties are supposed to work, similar to a partnership, be equal. I am not his girlfriend or his partner. He provides a home and food for me while I give him nothing in return. I’m a mooch.”

“I think I understand.” Breeze smiled. “And you are not a mooch. He doesn’t know what one is so therefore you can’t be what he doesn’t know exists.”
0 likes