Start by marking “The Year's Best Science Fiction: Eighteenth Annual Collection” as Want to Read:
The Year's Best Science Fiction: Eighteenth Annual Collection

The Year's Best Science Fiction: Eighteenth Annual Collection (The Year's Best Science Fiction #18)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  258 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The twenty-three stories in this collection imaginatively take us far across the universe, into the very core of our being, to the realm of the gods, and the moment just after now. Included here are the works of masters of the form and of bright new talents, including:

Stephen Baxter, M.Shayne Bell, Rick Cook, Albert E. Cowdrey, Tananarive Due, Greg Egan, Eliot Fintushel, P
softcover, 664 pages
Published August 18th 2001 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Year's Best Science Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year's Best Science Fiction

pax
It's hard to rate an anthology - I think the average mark for the stories (see below for individual comments, written as I read them) would not be a four. But the collection works as a whole, in its diversity.

I need to remember, though, that this whole series is not a short story collection. It's mainly novellas, not even novelettes. Longer work that one should approach with different expectations.

*****

*throws her hands up* OK, I give up. I'm gonna review this one story by story as it goes. Sinc
Cindy
Aug 01, 2010 Cindy marked it as fat-volumes-in-progress
Shelves: anthology, own, sci-fi
99-cent buy from Goodwill. Keeping track of the stories I've read:

1 - John Kessel "The Juniper Tree" 2/5
Generations of feminist social & technological engineering on the moon with a horrifying murderous guilt twist. Fell flat for me.

*27 - Charles Stross "Antibodies" 4/5
I find Stross's blog very amusing and well-written but had never read any of his fiction, despite him being a very prolific author. This story is one that starts out as a maybe-two-star and quickly turns into a 4 or 5 star rat
Wealhtheow
Most sf/f collections are made of mildly enjoyable but ultimately forgettable short stories. There are a few truly terrible stories in each, and even fewer truly good ones. I think the idea of short stories as The way to start getting noticed doesn't help (far too many people attempt a form they suck at), but the real problem seems to be editors who accept any old drek. The only editor whose anthologies I've 100% enjoyed thus far has been Sharyn November. Even John Joseph Adams and Ellen Datlow ...more
Rena Sherwood
Long and tedious anthology book-ended by Dozios' self-indulgence. Most of the stories and novellas are completely forgettable. The only story that stuck in my mind after all these years (I read it about 2006) was about Bobo the doomed cat. Skip this anthology and go for the sixth annual collection (1988.)
Alex
Jul 19, 2014 Alex is currently reading it
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Lord Humungus
One of the best in the series, with my favorite Charles Stross story, "A Colder War", and one of my favorite Lucius Shepard stories, "Radiant Green Star". I hadn't read much (any?) of either of these authors at this point and afterwards, made it a point to browse their back catalog. This collection includes other great stories by LeGuin, Albert E Cowdrey, Baxter, Egan, Rick Cook & Ernest Hogan, and Ian McDonald. The Nancy Kress and Egan stories were among the favorites for both authors.

This
Amy Peavy
The last story in the book was called: Tendeléo's Story, by Ian McDonald. It was dark, but written in such a soothing tone. I am left with the sense of wonder I was missing in many other stories in the collection. I found many of the stories too scientific or mathematical for my taste. All of the stories were well written, but that doesn't mean I had to enjoy them all.
Ralph
What I learned most from this book is that "year's best" books can be terribly boring. To be fair, not all the stories were bad, there were some I thought were fantastic, just not enough to rate it higher. I read to be entertained, not to bored, and reading this book was a chore.
Dev
If you read one sci-fi book a year, this is the one. Always stories of high caliber with a few tossed in that will keep you thinking weeks later, not to mention the collection is a primer for what science and technology everyone will be talking about five to ten years from now.
Cheryl
May 15, 2012 Cheryl marked it as skimmed-reference-dnf
I didn't read enough stories to feel comfortable judging this. I was totally impressed by the last one, Tendeleo's Story by Ian McDonald. Some technologies did feel dated, as I read this 10-11 years after they were written.
Dean
these stories are not hot and cold; they are warm and cold. The cold are really cold. too bad. Some i would not even mention in a science fiction compilation. The best? Really? There must be some very bad stuff out there —
Kevin Groosalugg
Maybe it's my mindset, but this wasn't as good as the others I've read. It had some really good stories: Patient Zero, Great Wall of Mars, and the final one by Iam MacDonald, but overall most seemeed like filler to me.
Monica Madaus
I particularly liked the stories with a biology emphasis. I liked M. Shayne Bell's "The Thing About Benny," and Sverna Park's "The Cure for Everything," thought they're both a bit to glibly dystopian.
Matt
Unbelievable. It's not that every single story is a 5, but most are good to great. Some truly creative stories in this series.
Avel
About Bobo the cat. Bland story, great SS for passing time. Sadly, Bobo disappears.
Misty
wasn't able to finish this one...had to return.
Shapostrozny
a couple good short stories/some bad.
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
James
James added it
Mar 06, 2015
Nikolai Pynev
Nikolai Pynev marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Daniel Stephens
Daniel Stephens marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Ian
Ian marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Angelica
Angelica marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Summary and discussion 1 6 Jun 24, 2008 01:44PM
  • Year's Best SF 10
  • The Secret History of Science Fiction
  • Far Horizons: All New Tales from the Greatest Worlds of Science Fiction
  • Greyhaven
  • Young Bleys (Childe Cycle, #10)
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Thirteenth Annual Collection
  • In Paul Klee's Enchanted Garden
  • Eclipse 3: New Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • The Chains That You Refuse
12052
Gardner Raymond Dozois (born July 23, 1947) is an American science fiction author and editor. He was editor of Asimov's Science Fiction magazine from 1984 to 2004. He has won multiple Hugo and Nebula awards, both as an editor and a writer of short fiction.
Wikipedia entry: Gardner R. Dozois

More about Gardner R. Dozois...

The Year's Best Science Fiction (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: First Annual Collection
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Seventh Annual Collection
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Eighth Annual Collection
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Ninth Annual Collection
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Tenth Annual Collection
The New Space Opera The Best of the Best: 20 Years of the Year's Best Science Fiction The New Space Opera 2: All-new stories of science fiction adventure The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Third Annual Collection The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Sixth Annual Collection