The Year's Best Science Fiction: Eighteenth Annual Collection

The Year's Best Science Fiction: Eighteenth Annual Collection (The Year's Best Science Fiction #18)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  226 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The twenty-three stories in this collection imaginatively take us far across the universe, into the very core of our being, to the realm of the gods, and the moment just after now. Included here are the works of masters of the form and of bright new talents, including:

Stephen Baxter, M.Shayne Bell, Rick Cook, Albert E. Cowdrey, Tananarive Due, Greg Egan, Eliot Fintushel, P...more
softcover, 664 pages
Published August 18th 2001 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2001)

Cindy
Aug 01, 2010 Cindy marked it as fat-volumes-in-progress
Shelves: anthology, own, sci-fi
99-cent buy from Goodwill. Keeping track of the stories I've read:

1 - John Kessel "The Juniper Tree" 2/5
Generations of feminist social & technological engineering on the moon with a horrifying murderous guilt twist. Fell flat for me.

*27 - Charles Stross "Antibodies" 4/5
I find Stross's blog very amusing and well-written but had never read any of his fiction, despite him being a very prolific author. This story is one that starts out as a maybe-two-star and quickly turns into a 4 or 5 star rat...more
Wealhtheow
Most sf/f collections are made of mildly enjoyable but ultimately forgettable short stories. There are a few truly terrible stories in each, and even fewer truly good ones. I think the idea of short stories as The way to start getting noticed doesn't help (far too many people attempt a form they suck at), but the real problem seems to be editors who accept any old drek. The only editor whose anthologies I've 100% enjoyed thus far has been Sharyn November. Even John Joseph Adams and Ellen Datlow...more
pax
Apr 05, 2014 pax is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boston-bought
*throws her hands up* OK, I give up. I'm gonna review this one story by story as it goes. Since my head insists on having opinions on each story and wanting to write them down:

John Kessel: "The Juniper Tree"
-- I dunno, I really dunno. It may have worked better as a novel with more time to actually develop the characters. The society is too unexplored for me (and yeah, too much a male perspective).

Charles Stross: "Antibodies"
-- oh, nice idea. Very nice. As always, Charlie's characters do not spar...more
Lord Humungus
One of the best in the series, with my favorite Charles Stross story, "A Colder War", and one of my favorite Lucius Shepard stories, "Radiant Green Star". I hadn't read much (any?) of either of these authors at this point and afterwards, made it a point to browse their back catalog. This collection includes other great stories by LeGuin, Albert E Cowdrey, Baxter, Egan, Rick Cook & Ernest Hogan, and Ian McDonald. The Nancy Kress and Egan stories were among the favorites for both authors.

This...more
Amy Peavy
The last story in the book was called: Tendeléo's Story, by Ian McDonald. It was dark, but written in such a soothing tone. I am left with the sense of wonder I was missing in many other stories in the collection. I found many of the stories too scientific or mathematical for my taste. All of the stories were well written, but that doesn't mean I had to enjoy them all.
Ralph
What I learned most from this book is that "year's best" books can be terribly boring. To be fair, not all the stories were bad, there were some I thought were fantastic, just not enough to rate it higher. I read to be entertained, not to bored, and reading this book was a chore.
Dev
If you read one sci-fi book a year, this is the one. Always stories of high caliber with a few tossed in that will keep you thinking weeks later, not to mention the collection is a primer for what science and technology everyone will be talking about five to ten years from now.
Cheryl in CC NV
May 15, 2012 Cheryl in CC NV marked it as skimmed-reference-dnf
I didn't read enough stories to feel comfortable judging this. I was totally impressed by the last one, Tendeleo's Story by Ian McDonald. Some technologies did feel dated, as I read this 10-11 years after they were written.
Dean
these stories are not hot and cold; they are warm and cold. The cold are really cold. too bad. Some i would not even mention in a science fiction compilation. The best? Really? There must be some very bad stuff out there —
Kevin Groosalugg
Maybe it's my mindset, but this wasn't as good as the others I've read. It had some really good stories: Patient Zero, Great Wall of Mars, and the final one by Iam MacDonald, but overall most seemeed like filler to me.
Monica Madaus
I particularly liked the stories with a biology emphasis. I liked M. Shayne Bell's "The Thing About Benny," and Sverna Park's "The Cure for Everything," thought they're both a bit to glibly dystopian.
Matt
Unbelievable. It's not that every single story is a 5, but most are good to great. Some truly creative stories in this series.
Avel
About Bobo the cat. Bland story, great SS for passing time. Sadly, Bobo disappears.
Misty
wasn't able to finish this one...had to return.
Shapostrozny
a couple good short stories/some bad.
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Mattm
Mattm marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Josh S
Josh S marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Marykrietz
Marykrietz marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
  • Far Horizons: All New Tales from the Greatest Worlds of Science Fiction
  • The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume Three
  • 100 Great Science Fiction Short Short Stories
  • Young Bleys (Childe Cycle, #10)
  • By Any Other Name
  • The End of the World: Stories of the Apocalypse
  • The Starry Rift: Tales of New Tomorrows
  • The Secret History of Science Fiction
12052
Gardner Raymond Dozois (born July 23, 1947) is an American science fiction author and editor. He was editor of Asimov's Science Fiction magazine from 1984 to 2004. He has won multiple Hugo and Nebula awards, both as an editor and a writer of short fiction.
Wikipedia entry: Gardner R. Dozois

More about Gardner R. Dozois...
The New Space Opera The Best of the Best: 20 Years of the Year's Best Science Fiction The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Third Annual Collection The New Space Opera 2: All-new stories of science fiction adventure The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Sixth Annual Collection