Start by marking “Justified Deception (Dancing Moon Ranch, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Justified Deception (Dancing Moon Ranch, #0.5)

Justified Deception (Dancing Moon Ranch 0.5)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  470 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Ruth Crawford's on a quest to reclaim her daughter who was kidnapped four years before. Ruth's private investigator is all but certain that ranch owner, Matt Kincaid's, adopted daughter Annie is Ruth's own little Beth. But Matt Kincaid's the maverick in a powerful family of lawyers and politicians, so even though Ruth manages to land the job as nanny to Matt's willful, six ...more
Nook
Published May 15th 2011 (first published May 9th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Justified Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Justified Deception

Chryssa

This is a 3...no wait, a 4! NO!!!! a 2 in some lines? A 4 towards the end? ok...have a 3 at it!

I 've decided to pick up this book despite my not being into westerns (too much sand, dirt and horse sh!t imo) and the mediocre/bad reviews I 've read about it. It had something that intrigued me and when this little kitty is curious about something.....

Cheesy lines? Oh yeah! A lot and so sooooo funny! Macho cowboy walking and spreading Steve Wayne's attitude? You betcha! A nanny that wants to be prim
Carrie
2.5*
Grade C

I'll admit upfront that I was pulled into the emotions in this short book. The author was successful getting across the dilemma facing both Ruth and Matt. And while Annie was a little precocious for a 6 year old, her character's actions were mostly age appropriate.

What I couldn't buy about the book was the set-up. Ruth has come to Matt's Montana ranch in the guise of a nanny for his daughter in hopes that girl is actually her own daughter, who was kidnapped 4 years earlier. Ruth's PI
Pam H
I read this book when it first came out but now I am reading the whole series and wanted to remember the characters as they will come into the story in book 7 of the Dancing Moon Ranch series.

Ruth's daughter was kidnapped at the age of 2 and she has been looking for her ever since. Her PI believes she is the daughter of Matt Kincaid living on the Kincaid ranch. Ruth gets hired on as the nanny which allows her to snoop around and see if Annie is really her Beth.

A few flimsy details - Matt was p
Faith Williams
Justified Deception was an interesting twist on the traditional boy-meets-girl, obstacle-gets-in-the-way, obstacle-gets-removed storyline. Ruth’s struggle with the kidnapping of her two year old daughter would certainly be a difficult situation for any woman and I was impressed with her determination to find her daughter at any cost. It was nice to see that her heart wasn’t too hardened by the way the father of her child treated her and by the experience of overwhelming grief and heartache the k ...more
LadyCalico
There were a lot of things about this book that just didn't make sense and the story line sending "Ruth" to the Kincaid ranch was really awkward and contrived, but thereafter the writing improved greatly. If you turn off all thought processes and reality contact and know absolutely nothing about law enforcement so that accuracy and realism don't matter then this was a really enjoyable and engrossing book. The ending seemed rushed and unrealistic as well, as if Ruth/Jennifer had suddenly develope ...more
Pam
Nov 15, 2014 Pam rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: fall-14
I wanted to give this four but almost near the end I felt the book just fell apart. I did not like the ending. it did not work for me. the heroine I came to.admire would not have agreed so readily. it was if the author was unsure how to reach closure and took an easy way to end just marry. However I really liked the story and the heroine is awesome a strong woman who took a risk. the hero was a sweet loving cowboy. I think more.about his relationship with his family would have fit. I will.consid ...more
Jo-Anne
Ruth is a single mom who has been searching for her kidnapped daughter for 4 years. She would now be 6 years old and could be anywhere in the world. Ruth hired a private investigator who had tracked her to Matt Kincaid who owns Kindaid Ranch. Ruth applied for the job of nanny and got hired. She is thrilled to finally be able to get close enough to the little girl to figure out if she really is her missing daughter.

I liked this book right from the start. It did slow down toward the middle but had
S. E Nelson
This is one of my favorite romance stories this year. I absolutely loved the concept and the story-telling. The development of the romance between Ruth and Matt, and the relationship between Ruth and Annie was appropriate - not too fast and not too slow. I was caught up in the story from beginning to end. Even with a few errors and some shifting POV, I would highly recommend this story. Well done.
Will Decker
Although the story turned predictable shortly after it began, it was a good read with a different plot twist from what you normally find in a romance. Great character development.They came to life and were very believable. I especially liked that it had an eastern Oregon setting that the author was very intimate with. There were a few sentence structure issues and grammar miscues, but nothing that distracted from the story. I probably would have given it another star if not for the simplified en ...more
Sheena Breland
Justified Deception

I believe this story was indeed a deception. Justified, not so much. I felt like this story took place in a span of all of two weeks. The storyline was just not realistic at all. I skimmed through the majority of the story, their was a lot of flirtation and romance but the portion about Annie/Beth and her adoption/kidnapping was extremely rushed. I think the story would have progressed better had they focused solely on making it a love story or a story about a mother's quest t
Sue Parker
A mother never gives up hope that she will find her missing child. Ruth thinks she has found her daughter and is now going to be her nanny. Hopefully she can get a DNA test done in secret to be sure. Matt is divorced but he has his ranch and his adopted daughter. He doesn't suspect that his new nanny has such a tragic past nor that his daughter might just be hers. Matt takes a liking to Ruth but she is hesitant to start a relationship because she knows if she takes her daughter away from Matt he ...more
Deb
Beautiful love story xoxoxo
Won't want to miss it
Joy

Up front, I only read the teaser at the end of Adversaries and Lovers and I won’t be buying Justified Deception any time soon.

Most of the time, I will suspend disbelief if the premise is good enough. Truth be told I can be convinced to believe almost anything.

But seriously.

A mother who cannot recognise her own child in such a short space of time? Beth was twenty months old when she was babynapped and she’s now six when Ruth sets eyes again on the child she suspects is her daughter. How on earth
Sara
The plot description was ingenious, but the writing unfortunately didn't live up to it. The story wasn't terribly short but it still seemed rushed, and there were typos and grammatical mistakes all over the place. What's-his-face (see, I can't even remember the hero's name two days after I read the book) didn't have much development at all, although Ruth-Jenny (for some reason the author never referred to the heroine by her real name even in narration, and Ruth-Jenny had absolutely no trouble re ...more
Alboiu
I skipped about 3 quarters of this book.. I don't know what I disliked most, but I guess a bit of everything: the characters, the dialogue, the lack of empathy with the situations, the boring descriptions ... the little girl that acted like a teenager and an old lady at the same time... The mushy ending that was out of character for all involved ... Too much tell and not much show ...
I won't go on with the series but I'd try something else from this author.

Not right away, thou'...
Gmc
Justified Deception by Patricia Watters
PREQUEL: DANCING MOON RANCH SERIES

Issues raised in this story kidnapping, black market children, adoption, parental rights, adoptive parental rights. What is really best for this child?

Ruth Crawford's on a quest to find her daughter, who was kidnapped four years before. Ruth's private investigator is all but certain that ranch owner, Matt Kincaid's, adopted daughter, Annie, is Ruth's own little Beth.

Stephen Ashley
Oh My......My Heart is Beating Fast.

This is a wonderful and yet tragic story that begins a kick butt series! I have cheated. I have read books one thru nine already, and have now finished the 'prequel'. I was entertained to say the least. Patricia kept me reading for all this time, and some days was on the edge of my chair pa.ting to the end of a story. Bravo Mrs. Watters!
Anita Japp
Well written and engaging story.

Heart wrenching topic well told. Predictable, but a good read. Wrap up was too short with out a satisfying explanation of who did the crime and why but the storyline was solid and clear otherwise. This lack does not really hurt the story but I have to take away one star because of it.
Mrs. Garen L. Herd
Good read

This book is really good. The hero is clueless about raising a little girl, so enter the nanny with an agenda.......is the little girl her stolen child? Then there is the very strong sexual attraction between hero and heroine. Funny, sad, sexy. Highly recommend.
dawn kuhn
Enjoyed this book immensely

It was well written fast paced and totally delightful I enjoyed reading it and look forward to reading more by this author I give it. Four stars

Deb Diem
Good story, great characters. Short reading time for those with limited time for reading. I'm looking forward to reading more from Patricia Watters.
Marilyn
Great

the story about the kidnapping of a young child and what the mother goes to find her child.it takes years
Rachel Sides
This book make me think more than most romance novels because it was more than that. I can't imagine having a child abducted.
Anna
This book was interesting, but something about its emotional appeal just didn't hold water for me.
Cici
Too graphic! No thanks
Tessie
Believability for this one was really hard for me. Ruth's private investigator finds a lead on her missing daughter and SHE goes to check it out. Not the private investigator, not the police, not a lawyer, SHE goes under-cover as the girl's nanny and falls in love with the dad. Hardly ever was the girl a priority for her despite her claims she was. I just couldn't like any of the characters' personalities and actions either, including the daughter.
Karysa Faire
A quick read I enjoyed. The writing was solid and the romance believable, though the premise was a stretch. The only reason I rated it a 3 instead of a 4 (it really is a 3.5 for me) is because there was absolutely no description of s-e-x. It's absolutely a sweet romance which neither the cover nor the description say.
Mei
This one snuck up on me! Matt, Ruth and Annie had me at hello! I was pulling for Ruth all the way and hoped there would be a believable "happy" ending. This was a quick read and wasn't a drawn out boring romance like many others I've read so far this year. It was...refreshing.
Joni
Romantic mystery with a twist -- single mom has her child snatched. Now throw in a handsome divorced dad who definitely loves his adopted daughter, a ranch with wide open spaces--ah, it would be nice if life would always end happily ever after. A nice entertaining read.
Sherry
This was a very good idea. It just didn't work for me. We hear Matt's POV on things at times. But, not on the important stuff. So when he said the important things I didn't believe him. He was just saying a bunch of words.
  • The Rancher (Redbourne, #1)
  • A Cowboy for Christmas
  • Abby: Mail Order Bride (Unconventional, #1)
  • Relentless (Aspen, #1)
  • Reckless for Cowboy (Stampede Sizzler, #2)
  • The Prodigal's Christmas Reunion (Rocky Mountain Heirs #6)
  • Wild Mustang Man
  • Chasing Rainbows
  • Harm's Hunger (Bad in Boots, #1)
  • Spurs and Lace (Lonely Lace Series, #1)
  • Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Cowboy Dad (The State of Parenthood #3)
  • Bridleton
  • The Justice Way (3-in-1)
  • Capturing the Cowboy's Heart
  • The Cowboy Lawman (Cooper Creek, #5)
  • Into the Arms of a Cowboy
  • Her Fated Cowboy (Harland County, #1)

Dancing Moon Ranch (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Righteous Lies (Dancing Moon Ranch, #1)
  • Pandora's Box (Dancing Moon Ranch, #2)
  • False Pretenses (Dancing Moon Ranch, #3)
  • Uncertain Loyalties (Dancing Moon Ranch, #4)
  • Becoming Jesse's Father (Dancing Moon Ranch, #5)
  • Bittersweet Return (Dancing Moon Ranch, #6)
  • Cross Purposes (Dancing Moon Ranch, #7)
  • Dancing With Danger (Dancing Moon Ranch, #8)
  • Bucking The Odds (Dancing Moon Ranch, #9)
  • Forbidden Spirits (Dancing Moon Ranch, #10)
Righteous Lies (Dancing Moon Ranch, #1) Her Master's Touch Pandora's Box (Dancing Moon Ranch, #2) Colby's Child False Pretenses (Dancing Moon Ranch, #3)

“Daddy said you're a flat-chested old maid who probably sleeps with your legs crossed.” 1 likes