Start by marking “The Dala Horse” as Want to Read:
The Dala Horse

The Dala Horse

Long after the wars, there are things abroad in the world—things more than human. And they have scores to settle with one another.
Published July 12th 2011 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Dala Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dala Horse

Alex Sarll
Much like Hannu Rajaniemi, Swanwick constructs a post-human future which feels like a fairytale - and not necessarily one of the gentle ones. Having long felt sorry for the Beaker People, I like the idea of us being known to our descendants as the Coffin People.
Monti
Oct 08, 2013 Monti rated it liked it
A beautifully crafted story, but it left me confused through most of it. Also, I think the little girl was Dora the Explorer. She was on a journey and had a talking map AND a talking backpack.
Dione Basseri
Might be a good pick for Hetalia fans. In a story that weaves fairy tale and the likely end of current events, we explore a world where monsters and nations walk and battle. A young girl is set out to visit her grandmother, in an echo of the Red Riding Hood tales, which quickly goes awry.

As I said, maybe good for the Hetalians, but not my particular interest. Allegory and foreshadowing lays thick on the tale, but that comes at the expense of the pacing. I had to listen twice to recall what was g
Natalie
Well, this was an interesting little story about a girl going to her grandmother's house. Sort of meshes a Dystopian World, Science Fiction Elements and and a fairy tale.
From:
Some of the Best of Tor.com
Althea Ann
Dec 25, 2013 Althea Ann rated it really liked it
Quite nice. An almost-retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, in a post-apocalyptic setting redolent of Scandinavian mythology and techno-magic. A little girl is sent away by her parents to escape unknown danger, on a perilous journey to her grandmother's house.
Marco
Aug 07, 2014 Marco rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
While some of the plot elements were interesting, the story was not so great. The story is set long after wars that almost destroyed the planet. The wars are over, but many things are left behind from it...things more than human. And they have scores to settle with one another.
Boulder Boulderson
Short story; bit of a take-off of fairy stories about little girls lost in the woods but set in a post-apocalyptic world. Good-but-short.
Brenda Lower
Jul 29, 2016 Brenda Lower rated it really liked it
Fantastic little short story! Mixes fantasy and fairy tale elements with science posibilities! Can't wait to read something else by him!
Hail
Oct 20, 2015 Hail rated it really liked it
Any day with a Michael Swanwick story is a good day.
Unique and enchanting. I love how Swanwick made it feel like a tradition fairy tale but with a sci-fi fantasy twist.
Wonderful.
Gretel
Gretel rated it it was ok
Mar 28, 2016
Dee
Dee rated it it was ok
Nov 24, 2013
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2015
Rachael Abrams
Rachael Abrams rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2014
Paul Cowan
Paul Cowan rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2015
Nathanael
Nathanael rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2017
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2014
Evan Jensen
Evan Jensen rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2015
Joshua
Joshua rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Eliza Jones
Eliza Jones rated it really liked it
May 15, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2012
Scott Harpstrite
Scott Harpstrite rated it it was ok
Apr 22, 2014
Rincething
Rincething rated it it was ok
Aug 05, 2016
claire
claire rated it really liked it
May 19, 2016
Sherry
Sherry rated it it was ok
May 11, 2014
Liz
Jul 01, 2014 Liz rated it it was amazing
A lovely crisp short story, that's just a tad too short!!
Paul End
Paul End rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2016
James
James rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2014
Rose
Rose rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2015
Grzegorz
Grzegorz rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2013
Ant
Ant rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2013