Start by marking “Managing Your Mind: The Mental Fitness Guide” as Want to Read:
Managing Your Mind: The Mental Fitness Guide

Managing Your Mind: The Mental Fitness Guide

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Originally published in 1995, the first edition of Managing Your Mind established a unique place in the self-help book market. A blend of tried-and-true psychological counseling and no-nonsense management advice grounded in the principles of CBTand other psychological treatments, the book straddled two types of self-help literature, arguing that in one's personal and profe ...more
Published February 22nd 2007 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Managing Your Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Managing Your Mind

Sue Bridehead (A Pseudonym)
I picked this up months ago for $1 at a thrift store. It appealed to me because of its promises to help with anxiety and time management. At the time I purchased it, I had 12 work deadlines unfurling about once every 5 days, so it seemed particularly applicable. I thought if the book couldn't help me, I could at least hold it in my arms before fainting, so the paramedics would understand my state of mind at the time of my stress coma onset.

Was it helpful? I'm still awake, so yes, I think so. To
Sea Urchin
Its a decent book, I keep it for reference purposes.

Its well organized with all the material and how to handle everything from self esteem, depression, managing time, decision making, etc. Gives you a brief overview of how to handle situations ...

Like with all self helps, you must actually TRY to do the things in the book, rather than passively read and I think if you do that, this book can be helpful..

I would give it 3.85.
getAbstract
A comprehensive guide to developing robust mental health

What you put into your body has an impact on your physical health. You are in big trouble if you live on candy, chips and root beer. Similarly, what you dwell on in your mind affects your mental health. If your thoughts are self-critical, obsessive and anxious, you will not be happy. In fact, you will probably be miserable and neurotic. Fortunately, just as you can improve your physical health with diet and exercise, you can also take speci
Naomi
2.8.10

Just began reading this book, which was a gift from my wonderful, beautiful sister, and it is brilliant. I only have read a few things on relationships so far, but the information has been so timely for me personally.

It really helps to feel that we have the power over ourselves, and we have choices. There is some really useful information in this book. I think everyone would benefit from it.
Taylor
This book is very clearly targeted to an audience who feels a loss of control within their bubble of society. It would be relevant to the elderly or those needing a self-esteem booster. Not practical for a young adult, and not what I expected in a book categorized as "mental fitness".
Meric S.
This book is both practical and profound. It's grounded in research but not too academic. It doesn't have a pie-in-the-sky approach to self-help. It's realistic. Highly recommended.
Grace Curtis
I bought this book originally in 1995 and recently purchased the most recent version for the Kindle reader. It is a book I have gone back to many times and I am not a huge fan of self-help books. This one seems well organized and extremely practical. Life is tough sometimes and I think it is nice to have a user's manual around for those times when something malfunctions or is not running as smoothly as it should.
Charlane Brady
I read the first edition back in 1995. I particularly liked the section on How to Improve Relationships and the chapter on recognizing voices from the past. Life changing at the time since I was not sure how to sit still with myself yet I could at least start working on my reactions and thoughts.
Julia
Everyone gets into some rough mental patches sometimes, and this book has the ways to fix them
Reuel
I read several books about the brain, the mind, and learning in spring 2000.
Victoria
I enjoyed this book it was very helpful!
Branden Barnett
good solid mental health advice
Todd Di Gasparro
I really enjoyed this book, the versatility alone was enough to keep my interested.

As I said it was very versatile and even encouraged you to skip ahead. After the initial introduction which when read was very general, in layman's terms if I may, it encouraged you to either continue reading or to skip a few chapters to whatever chapter you needed. The chapters themselves were pretty in depth and definitely fundamental.

There is a general aura that I receive from this book, a very helping aura an
Allison White
Not mind shattering, didn't ascertain any particular strategy or technique from this book. An ok read, but have read better.
hayatem
كتاب مميز وهودليل للفرد في الاسرة\العمل\مع الأصدقاء والحياة عموما..حول كيفية اكساب عقله المرونة واللياقة الذهنية ليكون أكثر تجاذبا ،اتساقا وتوازنا مع نفسه ومحيطه والعالم. يحتوي على عدة امثلة وتمارين واستيراتيجيات حول المهارات المختلفة عن العقل\الذات . وكيفية تعزيز بعض المهارات الإجتماعية والتغلب على مخاوفك وبعض الأمراض النفسية كالإكتئاب. وبناء الثقة في النفس. وهو أيضا يحلل العديد من المشاكل التي قد تكون صادفتها
Maria R Beermann-Foat
Maria R Beermann-Foat marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Pramod
Pramod marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Megan Ross
Megan Ross marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Subash
Subash marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Roya
Roya marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Michelle Hillstrom
Michelle Hillstrom marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Hugo
Hugo marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
J. Schmidt
J. Schmidt marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Sarah Allan
Sarah Allan marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
  • The Time Trap
  • Simpleology: The Simple Science of Getting What You Want
  • Do It!: Let's Get Off Our Buts
  • The Velveteen Principles: A Guide to Becoming Real; Hidden Wisdom from a Children's Classic
  • The Pleasure Trap: Mastering the Hidden Force that Undermines Health & Happiness
  • Create Your Own Future: How to Master the 12 Critical Factors of Unlimited Success
  • It's Not My Fault: The No-Excuses Plan for Overcoming the Effects of People, Circumstances or DNA and Enjoying God's Best
  • The Evelyn Wood Seven-Day Speed Reading and Learning Program
  • Beyond Reason: Using Emotions as You Negotiate
  • Ten Powerful Phrases for Positive People
  • A Woman's Book of Life
  • Maximum Influence: The 12 Universal Laws of Power Persuasion
  • You Are What You Think
  • The Great Depression & the New Deal: A Very Short Introduction
  • Fearless Change: Patterns for Introducing New Ideas
  • You Already Know How to Be Great: A Simple Way to Remove Interference and Unlock Your Greatest Potential
  • Immunity to Change: How to Overcome It and Unlock the Potential in Yourself and Your Organization
  • Men, Women and Relationships: Making Peace with the Opposite Sex
Psychology: A Very Short Introduction Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness: A Self-help Guide Using Cognitive Behavioural Techniques Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness: A Books on Prescription Title: A Books on Prescription Title Psychology Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for Anxiety Disorders: Mastering Clinical Challenges