Start by marking “Our Media, Not Theirs: The Democratic Struggle against Corporate Media” as Want to Read:
Our Media, Not Theirs: The Democratic Struggle against Corporate Media

Our Media, Not Theirs: The Democratic Struggle against Corporate Media

Our Media, Not Theirs! The Democratic Struggle Against Corporate Media examines how the current media system in the United States undermines democracy, and what we can do to change it.

McChesney and Nichols begin by detailing how the media system has come to be dominated by a handful of transnational conglomerates that use their immense political and economic power to satu
Published January 4th 2011 by Seven Stories Press (first published July 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Our Media, Not Theirs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Media, Not Theirs

Erick Romero
Nov 03, 2016 Erick Romero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A much better version of a book that these two authors came out with a few years earlier. This had all the relevant information the previous one had but with less repetition and redundancy. Sometimes the message can get in the way of itself if it's not delivered properly.

Though this work is 14 years old, it isn't obsolete at all. I'm looking forward to update myself on the current data and trends of the dominance of the corporate media and compare it to what it was then. I am more interested, ho
CaliforniaGirl
Aug 23, 2015 CaliforniaGirl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I purchased this book after hearing John Nichols on Democracy Now and was so happy to hear him campaign for Bernie Sanders. Remember the town hall when Sanders said he wanted to be in charge of CNN so he could transform the media (if he couldn't be in politics)?
Even before but especially after this election I hope everyone sees the importance of having an independent media system. This book highlights how the media manufactures consent* by how they cover stories (or don't cover stories) citing t
Jaq
Sep 25, 2016 Jaq rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
So for an eyeopener of the practices that influence your way of thinking this small book packs a wallop. I read this as part of my Uni research and found the tone and style just right, to get across the book's powerful message that now is the time to take control of the information I receive.

Evaluating the source of the news is just as important as staying up to date and I wonder how this book could be updated for those who use Social media as their only source of news.
Christopher
it's an important topic - corporate media conglomerates and why they don't report on themselves. duh. you probably know most of what's in this book and just need reminding. what little you don't know can be upsetting. it makes me hate myself a bit. it's worth the quick read.
MM
Mar 25, 2008 MM rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great essay -- problems with corporate media ownership are laid out well and includes valuable approach to media activism.
Vincent Kaprat
Vincent Kaprat rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2013
Susie Merz
Susie Merz rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2013
Jacqueline
Jacqueline rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2007
Matt Peters
Matt Peters rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2012
Lynn plp
Lynn plp rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2011
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Joe Dawson
Joe Dawson rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2013
Neil Crossan
Neil Crossan rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2010
Melissa Tyson
Melissa Tyson rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2009
Justin Thomas
Justin Thomas rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2013
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2008
Susan Mumpower-spriggs
Susan Mumpower-spriggs rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2013
Mohamed Lotfy
Mohamed Lotfy rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Liz
Liz rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2009
Bill  Kerwin
Bill Kerwin rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2007
Tom K
Tom K rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2007
Anthony
Anthony rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Josh
Josh rated it liked it
May 21, 2012
Illinois
Illinois rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2013
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2012
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2015
Doug Greer
Doug Greer rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2011
Ryan
Ryan rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2013
John
John rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2014
Marcia
Marcia rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2009