Start by marking “The Judas Kiss” as Want to Read:
The Judas Kiss

The Judas Kiss

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  1,593 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Pippa Ewell had left behind the dark and forbidding Greystone Manor -- also the memories of Conrad, the handsome stranger who had swept her breathlessly into his arms and heart. But Pippa returned to find the truth behind her sister's mysterious death. And suddenly the fairy-tale kindgom glittered with evil and danger . . .
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published February 1983 by Fawcett Crest (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Judas Kiss, please sign up.

Melinda I don't have a copy but if you are wanting to read it again you can check it out on openlibrary.com.

Misfit
Feb 03, 2013 Misfit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I was seventeen years old before I discovered that my sister had been murdered.

Long story short (I hope). Pippa Ewell and her older sister are orphaned and leave their island home to come live with their parsimonious grandfather in England (grandma's pretty cool though). The grandfather wants to marry his nephew and heir to the oldest girl (I think her name was Francine, but the book is at home), but she has other ideas and runs off with a dashing nobleman, who is the heir-apparent of some tiny
Melanie
Oct 13, 2008 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Victoria Holt not a new author she has written books for many years and this is the 2nd book I have read that she wrote. I enjoyed this story which begins with Phillipa (Pippa) Ewell finding a newspaper clipping and discovering her sister Francine was murdered. The story returns to the girls childhood and we learn they lived on their parents on an island after his father left his home when he pursued being an artist which was against his father's wishes. The girls parents died close together and ...more
Dawn
Mar 01, 2009 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite book read when I was a teenager! Would love to read it again!
Vannessa Anderson

Francine and Pippa are sisters who are thick-as-thieves. They are happy and loved by their parents. When their parents die, they are sent to live with their rich grandfather who rules his house with an iron fist. They find comfort in their wise and kind grandmother.

When Francine turns seventeen, her grandfather tells her that she is to marry her cousin Arthur, a man whom Francine and Pippa despise. Francine marries her lover, Rudolph, and runs away with him to his country where he is next in li

Anna Karras
I love Victoria Holt. Well, actually, I love Jean Plaidy, that's who Victoria Holt really is. She just wrote under the name Victoria Holt, and also under the name Philippa Carr.

And this is the one I've liked the best so far. The heroine's name is actually Philippa (Pippa, for short)and we begin her story on a small island in the Mediterranean somewhere off the coast of Italy. Her father is a sculptor, her mother his muse, and her sister Francine, her best friend. When their mother dies, followed
Jessica
Sep 12, 2013 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok I cannot speak enough looovve for this book! The Judas Kiss was one of my first experiences reading romance as a young person. Victoria Holt has the ability to mix so much love and mystery together that you cannot put the book down and have to sometimes sleep with your bedroom light on!
The Judas Kiss is to this day truly a favourite of mine!

The book sweeps a tale of a young women Pippa who watches her sister run away with a handsome and wealthy man- she later learns that her sister has been m
Benjamin Stahl
I thought this was pretty awful. Two stars instead of one because I'm not so much of an asshole not to acknowledge this book was not written for the likes of me. Serves me right for choosing it.
Dianne
One of my all-time favorite VH books!
Jana
There was this beautiful house for hunters in the middle of the wood, which I used to see while driving in the car. My father would tell us stories about when and how it was built and what would hunters do on weekends, and I would daydream in a different way (killing animals was excluded :).

This house was far away from the road, and I’ve never seen it up close but my imagination was wild as a beast. I was around 12, 13 when I read Judas kiss, and I placed the plot around and inside that grand a
Mariana
Jul 10, 2016 Mariana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Aunque de verdad esperaba que terminara en un drama de campeonato, la verdad es que me conmovió toda la historia. Aunque algunas cosas no pasaron como yo creí, y mis esperanzas en cuanto a Francine desaparecieron en ciertas formas, también creo que las últimas páginas fueron algo apresuradas: como si tuviera la urgencia por terminar. O tal vez era yo que me estaba bebiendo el libro como felix felicis por el tipo de final que tuvo, de una u otra forma, me hizo sentir feliz: Fue un libro del que m ...more
Sharon
Jul 01, 2010 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic Victoria Holt, with intrigue, dukes and duchesses, servants and friends all just a little more than meets the eye.

In "The Judas Kiss," Philippa Ewell's older sister Francine is murdered at the Grand Duke's hunting lodge in Bavaria -- along with the Grand Duke. Philippa has letters proving that the two were married and had a child, but other members of the Bavarian royal family say otherwise.

Unexpected circumstances allow Philippa to investigate for herself, and she is drawn into the poli
Neja
Dec 04, 2012 Neja rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-childhood
Books written by Victoria Holt are so cheesy, but sometimes that's exactly what you need. I've read a loooot of her books when I was 14/15 years old..that was the last time I've read them. I absolutely loved them at the time. I'm thinking of reading one of her books just for the old times sake! =)
Mandy
Mar 27, 2014 Mandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I *love* that Victoria Holt is having a renaissance. I wish she were alive to know that her books are now being republished and appreciated by a whole new audience of readers.

As a long time Holt reader, I thought I'd read everything; in truth, I've probably only read a dozen or so of her literally dozens of books under various names. (See wikipedia for more detail!) This was one I had missed, perhaps because the title turned me off--but oh so good.

The characters as always are well conceived, and
Surreysmum
[These notes were made in 1984:]. Standard junk fare. Has more of a plot than the Rosemary Rogers variety, and considerably less sex. But the characters are artificial and made of cardboard, and the solution to the moral dilemma of the book - when is adultery not adultery? - sidestepped by the coincidences of the solved mystery. The juxtaposition of settings - island paradise of childhood vs. "Greystone" of repressive, domestic England vs. romantic Bruxenstein (Germanic, complete with labyrinthi ...more
Athena
Sep 28, 2013 Athena rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I always like the settings in Holt's novels. It's the characters that I had an issue with in this story, particularly the narrator. Pippa's personality was inconsistent throughout the story. She was submissive but rebellious, caring but thoughtless. Her obsession with her sister really got to me. She continued instigating arguments because she wouldn't listen to anyone. I understand she was trying to get to the bottom of a mystery but it didn't need to go on for 400 plus pages.
Sigmund was also
Rachelle
Sep 20, 2011 Rachelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sandeep Sandhu
I picked up this book at a charity sale with no idea about Victoria Holt or any of her books, personalities and characters. The sleeve was issued in the eighties, and was quite corny - not really living up to the intensity of the plot.

I read this with great interest, loving the characterisation and the drive the plot hard. I often read with the music of Kyle Dixon and Cliff Martinez playing in the background which added a sombre quality - taking the Mills and Boon-esque edge of my vision.

Essen
Sussann
Oct 12, 2014 Sussann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recently I started reading through a number of Victoria Holt's books for the first time. I'd been put off her as an author after several failed attempts at 'The Night of the Seventh Moon' but then I picked up Mistress of Mellyn and realised I'd been unfair. So far I've chewed through Mistress of Mellyn, Kirkland Revels, Manfreya in the Morning and now The Judas Kiss.

Out of all of these, The Judas Kiss has definitely been my favourite. I can't say whether it was that the characters seemed to be b
Ranee
Jun 25, 2016 Ranee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Read this a long time ago and it's not my favorite. I read all Victoria Holt's books. I liked the mystery being solved but thought the guy was a selfish jerk, basically. "I love you & will sleep with you but because I'm going to be Grand Duke I can't marry you" Then when it does become "possible" for marriage he sounds almost disappointed.
Jodi
Dec 17, 2012 Jodi rated it liked it
Recommends it for: women
Another book off the free shelf at the library. Decent read - a tad far-fetched with the sister going off with a man who ends up being the "prince" of his country and they both die. Then the sister goes out 5 years later to solve the mystery no one else can and does while managing to fall in love with the newest prince to the country. Fairy-tale ending.
Aleta
Mar 20, 2013 Aleta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lo retomé del cajón de libros viejos, creo que lo leí con lectura rápida pero evidentemente no entendí nada. Con este libro confirmo que me gustan las novelas de Victoria Holt. La historia es buena y termina de forma inesperada, a pesar que es vieja nos llega a sorprender. Entretenida pero nada que merezca la pena leerse por segunda vez.
Mary
Nov 19, 2008 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another beautiful book written by Victoria Holt. The story takes the reader to the Bavarian Alps in the 1800's, amidst political upheavals, conspiracy, love and murder. The narration of the story, done in the first person, captures the reader's attention, by growing up with the main character. 3.5 out of 5 stars.
Leslie Knox
I read this book years ago as a teenager and reading it once again i enjoyed the story and even though the characters were a bit stiff, this makes a great story and Jean Plaidy or Victoria Holt stacks up as always. Well worth reading. No unnecessary sex scenes and a nice touch of history.
Megan
Dec 19, 2011 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
not my favorite Victoria Holt book, but it was quite good. I was convinced that there could not be a good ending, but somehow Ms. Holt pulled one out of her bag. I thought I knew all the answers, but discovered that I was not even close which for me, is always good fun!
Nancy
Mar 17, 2008 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read all of Victoria Holt mystery/romance books in my 30s. Holt books are a higher caliber of romance fiction than something like Harlequins. Historically accurate. Good recreational reading with something to keep you turning pages.
Yorda
Oct 13, 2012 Yorda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-mine
Me ha sorprendido bastante, pensaba que sería bastante más malillo. Aquí los malos son malos malosos y los buenos más buenos que el pan, pero se lee con facilidad y se disfruta leyéndolo.
Haley
Jan 22, 2008 Haley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having reread this book, I found that liked it a lot better the second time. I don't know how many years it's been since I read it initially, but I couldn't remember how the plot unfolds. I was wrapped up in the mystery, anxious to know how everything would turn out.
Sylvia
Oct 16, 2013 Sylvia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La verdad no había leído nada de Victoria Holt, y me gustó la historia. Me encantó su facilidad de describir los escenarios y situaciones tan enteramente, que una piensa que se encuentra ahí... ampliamente recomendable y fácil de leer11
Jenny
My all time favorite book and author. The ultimate historical romance, with mystery and suspense.
Hayley
Jul 25, 2008 Hayley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you like clean, cheesy, romance novels then you will like anything by Victoria Holt or her pseudonyms.
  • The Lion Triumphant (Daughters of England, #2)
  • Columbella

Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subjec
More about Victoria Holt...