Start by marking “The Lottery Winner: Alvirah and Willy Stories” as Want to Read:
The Lottery Winner: Alvirah and Willy Stories

The Lottery Winner: Alvirah and Willy Stories (Alvirah and Willy #2)

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,088 Ratings  ·  168 Reviews
Alvirah Meehan, the former cleaning lady from Flushing, New York, who struck it rich in the lottery, made her first appearance in Mary Higgins Clark's Weep No More, My Lady. After she narrowly survived a stalking killer in that best-selling novel, grateful fans clamored for her return. Mary Higgins Clark obliged with several splendid short stories starring the ever-resourc ...more
Published October 4th 1994 by Simon and Schuster (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Lottery Winner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lottery Winner

Oct 24, 2007 Sarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mhc
It was more like a collection of stories than a novel. Also, the main character suddenly developed super crime solving powers after winning the lottery, a bit far fetched. It would have been much easier to read if it flowed better, it just jumped from one story to the next.
Lybo Buchanan
Aug 10, 2014 Lybo Buchanan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Lot of fun.
An Alvirah & Willy mystery; About an older couple; she was a cleaning lady & her husband was a plumber; they won a large lottery, and she started spending her time between traveling & going to spas, & by solving murder mysteries. Her husband spent his time taking care of her & being sure she stayed out of trouble.
Mary
Feb 06, 2015 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The saving grace of this book and the short stories, was the characters, I liked Alvirah and Willy, and his Nun sisters, and other characters in the book. But I like my mysteries to be more of a mystery.
Becky
Oct 29, 2011 Becky rated it really liked it
Shelves: 20s
It was an entertaining book but I was annoyed by the fact that since winning the lottery Alvirah was so worried about her precious image and fitting in with rich people etc. It seemed a bit unlike her character since she has such a kind heart. And taking out everything that had to do with that and the Cypress Point Spa (for the rich and famous) would not have hurt the stories.

It was a collection of mystery/crime stories that Alvirah ends up solving. It's an easy quick and light read.
Doris
Sep 20, 2015 Doris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book contains six short stories about amateur sleuth and lottery winner Alvirah and hubby Willy. Unfortunately, half of those adventures end in Alvirah almost getting killed and being rescued at the very last minute, which makes them somewhat predictable. As these are all tales about those two people, of course, she'll survive somehow, no matter how coincidental her rescue. This is something of a shame as the storylines are interesting and intriguing, and set up involving different people a ...more
Ro Ja
Apr 16, 2015 Ro Ja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have seen quite a few complaints about this book being a collection of short stories. I think they all fit the criteria of MHC in that they are all mysteries and most of them left a guessing game in the "who done it" game. I appreciated the book. I loved the small collection of stories about Alvirah Meehan! I can only wish she does another collection of Alvirah Meehan mysteries! And big deal that she won the lottery and then suddenly discovered her ability to be a sleuth. More power to her. So ...more
CJ
Feb 28, 2013 CJ rated it liked it
This book that is about two fictional but popular Mary Higgins Clark characters is a good one. The couple, husband named Willy and amateur detective Alvirah are pleasant people who by chance have won the lottery and used the money to not just live out their lives but to help others in solving difficult mystery cases.

This book was the earliest Willy and Alvirah book I could find at the library (the first book starring the two was called Weep No More, My Lady) but reading it I have no regrets.

The
Claire
The Lottery Winner is another illustrious novel courtesy of Mary Higgins Clark (MHC). I have been privileged to read several of her books and continue to read her presently.This book contains several short stories, all of which are really enjoyable and exciting. The Lottery Winner is untypical of MHC in that there are several short stories, but it's just as exciting and suspenseful as her other books. I'm the type of reader who has difficulty understanding and getting interested in books and MHC ...more
Bonnie Gleckler Clark
Six clean-cut criminal adventures staring ALVIRAH MEEHAN. Alvirah made her debut as a character in "Weep No More, My Lady". In this book:

1) Their homecoming to New York City in the first story is eventful, since Willy's playwright nephew is arrested for killing an importunate actress in their own Central Park South apartment, with Alvirah discovering both ``The Body in the Closet'' and the telltale clue.

2) 'Death on the Cape'' asks why, and on whose behalf, the witness who sent Cynthia Rogers to
Brookelynn Smith
Sep 12, 2014 Brookelynn Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, wjhs
I really enjoyed The Lottery Winner. Alvirah, the main character, has amazing intelligence, curiosity, and willingness to solve the crimes that are put in front of her. The six short stories in this book are all suspenseful, intriguing, and mind-blowing. I love Mary Higgins Clark's writing, which, from the books that I have read, are all works of sheer genius. I highly recommend this book to readers who love a good mystery.
Christine Boris
Another book that's part of my project to read through all of my old fashioned sized paperbacks. Haven't read a Mary Higgins Clark in a long time but I know I've enjoyed some of them. I liked the idea of this book....short, stand alone stories featured the husband and wife characterics in one of her other books (Weep No More My lady I think). Inocuous entertainment, but after three stories I'd had enough.
Maria Miaoulis
Sep 03, 2012 Maria Miaoulis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mary Higgins Clark has been crowned America's Queen of Suspense for good reason - try as you might, you can never figure out who the criminal is in her whodunnit mysteries. And with Alvirah and Willy Meehan, she's struck gold, having created two beloved characters which no one can possibly not like. In "The Lottery Winner" the former cleaning lady and plumber have already struck it rich in the lottery and are getting accustomed to a life of leisure. But there is never a dull moment thanks to Alv ...more
Bev Taylor
Jul 28, 2014 Bev Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
6 short stories each about 50 pages in paperback

charts the adventures of alvirah and willy who - as you've guessed - won the lottery!

h/e crime seems to follow them around

gets a bit repetitive and it is obvious how the crime has been committed and how it will be resolved

in truth, i am not a fan of short stories

bev
Helen
This is a collection of Alvirah and Willy stories - one of which is Christmas centred so it will go out with the Christmas books at the end of the month. They're mystery short stories so they are plot driven and there is a fair bit of repetition as the lead characters and their situation as lottery winners are explained as well as the sunburst pin Alvirah always wears. Now I have a quibble with that pin since I really don't see how a tape recorder could be made small enough to fit and how could ...more
Cherie Kasper
Jun 11, 2014 Cherie Kasper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Alvirah Meehan and her husband Willy are at it again. Solving all kins of crimes after they win 40 million dollars they become the richest cleaning lady and plumber. You will be drawn in from the first page to the last, waiting to find out who did what to who, who was killed or not.
Debbie
Nov 07, 2015 Debbie rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book of short stories. I don't read the reviews before I read the book and I didn't realize that it was not a novel, but I like the characters and the story line of Alvirah and Willy. This is a very light hearted couple and series.
Mary
Aug 01, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was introduced to Mary Higgins Clark's writing in the early 90's. I love her style of mystery writing...her ability to weave wit within intrigue. Alvirah and Willy are loveable characters. I was able to read this book in one sitting.
Lorilee
I have been reading these books I found in the back of my closet and most of the MHC books have not been very good. I did like this one. It was a good pace, story and the characters were interesting enough to keep going.
Trisha
Nov 06, 2014 Trisha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
None of the stories in The Lottery Winner are very suspenseful like the other Clark books I've read, but they were well written and I had fun reading them. It's a nice read when you need to kill an hour or two.
Jennifer Spires
Unbelievable, predictable. Unlikeable characters. Mediocre writing. Only story (six shorts) with some promise was The Lottery Winner but it still suffered from all these faults. Would have been better if I was a 60+ year old woman.
Dawn Leitheuser
Really enjoyed this book. I am so glad Mary Higgins Clark decided to keep the character Alvirah. She is a hoot and a half! I hope to find her in another book.
Stacy
Nov 21, 2014 Stacy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of short stories about Alvirah and Willy Meehan who appear in other Clark books. Okay stories but I would have preferred one longer novel.
Diane Wachter
The Lottery Winner, Mary Higgins Clark, PB-B, @ 1995, 10/96. Short stories about Alvirah & Willie Meehan, the lottery winners turned sleuths. Nothing special. Okay.
Lisa James
A cute little anthology of mini mysteries :) I only wish that the mini mysteries had been put in the book in a chronological time frame. That was a trifle disconcerting.
Hubjeanne
Didn't like it at first. Was very disappointed that it was short stories but I finally got into the characters and did enjoy it.
Singletary
Jan 17, 2015 Singletary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A thoroughly delightful read. Alvirah is one funny lady, whether she realizes it or not. (18/2010/73)
Amy Parris
Mar 30, 2014 Amy Parris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book takes a character from other novels and makes her the central character! Love her and her hubby!
Shelley
I didn't realize this book was six short mystery stories until I started reading. I think each story could had been a bit longer as it felt too rushed, but overall, this is my first Alvirah and Willy Meehan mysteries and I just adored them. Some stories were better than others, and it would had been nice if the stories went in order of events, and if the beginning of each story didn't have to retell how the couple won the lottery, their previous occupations, etc.

I did enjoy these stories. They
Joanne
Jan 07, 2013 Joanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Six short stories about Alvirah and Willy. Before hitting the NY Lottery and winning millions they worked as a cleaning lady and plumber. Alvirah is an amateur sleuth who investigates with the help of her sunburst recording pin.

Compared to other MHC books I’ve read, this one did not have the intensity and suspense usually found in her books. While I realize they were short stories (30-40 pages) the accounts were quick, undemanding and sometimes humdrum.

Stories in the book include:

The Body in th
ChaCha Ala Mode
I did not really enjoy this one as much as the other novels by Ms. Clark. It just did not flow and became rather predictable. The idea of this little old lady becoming a sleuth and a journalist are just too over the top. The continual mention of the sunburst pin was rather annoying.
  • Silent Night: The Remarkable Christmas Truce of 1914
  • Popped (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #7)
  • The Christmas Box
  • Let Me Whisper In Your Ear (KEY News #3)
  • Murder in the Queen's Armes (Gideon Oliver, #3)
  • The Shaman Laughs (Charlie Moon, #2)
  • The Thunder Keeper (Wind River Reservation, #7)
  • The Chinese Alchemist (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #11)
Mary Higgins Clark, #1 international and New York Times bestselling author, is the author of 46 books and counting: she’s written thirty-three suspense novels; three collections of short stories; a historical novel, Mount Vernon Love Story; two children’s books, including The Magical Christmas Horse; and a memoir, Kitchen Privileges. She has also written five holiday suspense novels with Carol Hig ...more
More about Mary Higgins Clark...

Alvirah and Willy (10 books)
  • Weep No More, My Lady