Start by marking “The Cask of Amontillado” as Want to Read:
The Cask of Amontillado

The Cask of Amontillado

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  39,554 ratings  ·  593 reviews
The thousand injuries of Fortunato I had borne as I best could, but when he ventured upon insult, I vowed revenge. You, who so well know the nature of my soul, will not suppose, however, that I gave utterance to a threat. At length I would be avenged; this was a point definitely settled but the very definitiveness with which it was resolved, precluded the idea of risk. I m ...more
Published January 1st 2010 by MVB E-Books (first published November 1846)

To ask other readers questions about The Cask of Amontillado, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cask of Amontillado

Glenn Russell
The Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Allan Poe is a classic tale of revenge. Since there are dozens of posts here, my review will take a particular slant: what German pessimistic philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer has to say about the psychology of revenge and how the revengeful narrator in Poe’s tale relates to Schopenhauer’s insights.

Schopenhauer says we all suffer as the result of nature or chance but, as humans, we recognizes that is simply the way life works. He then writes, “Suffering caused by t
Tweety
Don't read this at night!

I'm not quite sure what I think of this, I like Poe, I like his words, his spine tingling suspense and his gothic aproch. But what was this? I will never, ever go down into the catacombs. Ever. Not like this sorry soul...

It was horrid, and very good. But I don't entirely understand what happened and why, so three stars is about right. I liked The Raven better.
Mahdi
در اين داستان، به خلاف قلب رازگو، انگيزه ى قتل چندان مهم نيست. بيشتر صحنه پردازى و فضاسازى اهميت دارد. آلن پو همان اول به شما مى گويد كه قرار است قتلى رخ دهد و در ادامه، با دانستن اين حقيقت وحشتناك، به راحتى فضايى تاريك و وحشت انگيز مى آفريند.
توصيه: اين داستان در تاريكى شب و تنها بخوانيد.
cindy
I didn't seem to learn my lesson. Do not listen to Edgar Allan Poe audiobook when you think you are alone! It will give you arrhythmia. For sure.

Yeah, I did that (again) during lunch break, it was quite, so I took my phone, put my earphones and listen to this, The Cask of Amontadillo (I read The Sherlockian a while ago and it was mention by ACD character, hence 'curious'). Closed my eyes... and listened.

Arrhythmia!!

The story itself was rather straight point. Fortnato did something that insult Mo
Kelly
This was the only thing I enjoyed reading at Catholic school. A fellow student's scribbled creative curses on the margins of our religion class handouts nonwithstanding. Poe's atmospheric talents are undeniable- the man even inspired Baudelaire with a new level of excitement (the dark, brooding kind of course) about how dark life can be. It shall thrill my inner 14 year old heart forever.
Summer
I didn't realize Poe wrote this until people started dying morbidly.
علی
داستان "چیلیک آمونتیلادو" توسط احمد میرعلایی به فارسی ترجمه شده است. احمد گلشیری هم با نام "بشکه ی آمونتیلادو" آن را ترجمه کرده است که در مجموعه ی داستان و نقد داستان چاپ شده.
Emadeddin
description

يا قلبي عليك يا فورتوناتو!!
ما هذه النفسية السوداوية البنفسجية الجحيمية للمختل العقلي مونتريسور!

description

أحداث عجيبة .. وقصة غريبة جداً! غريبة لأنها على الرغم من ظلاميتها وعتهها إلا أنها رائعة فوق الوصف!
لا أستطيع أن أقول أن القصة غير حقيقية أو غير واقعية .. أو أنها من نسج الخيال المريض للكاتب العجيب إدجار آلان بو! بل على العكس تماماً، بالنسبة لي فأنا أرى هذه القصة حقيقية جداً، وأبعد ما تكون عن الخيال!

فكما نعلم جميعاً، هذه هي عادة الأدب .. يواجهنا بكل جرأة وجسارة وصراحة ووضوح بحقيقتنا البشرية الضعيفة التي
Annika
This story was chilling, creepy, disturbing, and definitely well written. This is the first Edgar Allen Poe I've read, and I am not quite sure if I will read anymore. They are just a bit too weird for me, and almost incomprehensible. The excellent use of foreshadowing and suspense was great, however.

Content: PG - Violence, very scary themes
Sarah Marie
5 stars
I had to read this for school and I absolutely loved it. Maybe the reason I enjoyed it so much was because I read it for school and we talked about irony. Talking about the story made me think more into it and now I think it's brilliant. I had already been intrigued, but the story just proved to be amazing.

Whimsical Writing Scale: 5

Plotastic Scale: 5

Character Scale: 5
Sarah ( Paris )
لم ترقني كثيرا ..
غريبة ..
كمية الحقد التي تعتمل في نفس البطل
غريبة ..
وتدفعه لدفن غريمه حياً ..
لم افهمها جيدا مما اضطرني أن أقرأها من نسختين مختلفتين ..
Ken Moten

My 2nd review of Poe is (not surprisingly) my 2nd favorite Poe book. This book was read for 11th grade English and I have to say that this better than expected book came out of a better than expected class-but that is for another story.

(view spoiler) Well, as I have just finished reading Crime and Punishment, this book loomed heavy on my mind. I don't know if Fyodor Dostoyevsky had ever picked up this book but the similarities and differences
Zulu
Brr! This one leaves a chill up your spine, doesn't it? All the more so since we don't know why Montressor does it. Was he really wronged by Fortunado, or was it simply a matter of luck shining more brightly on another man? Fortunado is in the Masons, his family is large and prosperous, where Montressor's is in decline. But what could Fortunado alone have done in order to cause that? It seems to be the work of ages, and it's just that Montressor blames Fortunado because he's a symbol.

I like all
Natalie
The classic tale of revenge.

I must not only punish, but punish with impunity.

I would say, that if people aren't familiar with the story, they are at least familiar with the end result.

This is one of Poe's most famous and it's definitely captivating. As usual, the setting and the details are what bring the true horror to life.
Hensley
"The Cask of Amontillado" - the story that introduced me to Mr. Poe and his dark-ingenuity. Actually, his first work that I have read. I was 18 then some time ten years ago.

The story is placid and dark as velvet. Deception at its finest interpretation. The image of death in progress, a seem-to-be-pause until the end. Something you will not see in any regular story.

If you are young to understand the word revenge, do not read it. Also, if you are narrowminded to morbidness. I suggest you grab a d
Jill
This one was certainly not my favorite, but it was masterfully written. There are wonderful tools of symbolism and foreshadowing. It's a pity I don't know Latin or French, because Poe tends to shower these throughout his pieces, and without translations, they mean little to me. Again, the iconic elements - seemingly motiveless revenge, the narrator also being the murderer, etc. Terrifying that the human imagination can conjure up this sort of image, and perhaps the most disturbing bit is how the ...more
Cassandra Lê
Poe's stories are full of fucked up people. But dang, I love his portrayal of the Gothic atmosphere.
Chris Merten
The Cask of Amontillado, written by Edgar Allan Poe, shows the style of psychology and the effect of arrogance of his characters. I found this story very confusing and not fun to read because of the Italian phrases used in it.

The plot of The Cask of Amontillado is very fast paced. The story springs into the rising action as the main character talks to Fortunato about the amontillado. The story jumps into its climax after they go to find the amontillado. The reader, eventually, realizes this is a
HeavyReader
I believe I had to read this short story in 10th grade...oh, no, it must have been in 11th grade when we covered American literature. I think we had a whole section on Edgar Allan and we read several of his poems and short stories.

This story is twisted like all his others. Chilling.
Erika
Loved the irony used in the story, dark humor is effective to the story. Confusing at first, but after further discussion, understood at a different level.
Steve
This short story entirely lives up to Poe’s reputation for creepiness. Fortunato insults the first person teller in a manner he cannot accept and he plans for patient recourse. Taking advantage of Fortunato’s inebriation and his ego about his wine expertise, the teller asks Fortunato to help him evaluate a cask of Amontillado, Italian fortified wine, that may or may not be genuine. Taunting Fortunato with bringing in a different man to help evaluate the wine, he leads Fortunato, who will hear of ...more
Emma Iadanza
A lot of reviews I read here, on Goodreads, before reading this book almost discouraged me because they said how grotesque and frightening this was, and not to read it alone/in the dark and that it would give me nightmares.

In light of that, I made sure it wasn't dark and that I was not alone when I read it.

I wasn't really frightened. Not at all. I'm not going to have nightmares or be afraid of things mentioned here... I think that is because of Montresor's (he's the narrator) nonchelance towards
N.G.
Towards the end of the 18th century, a moral treatment movement developed, that put into practice a more “humane” approach. However, there wasn’t a lot of information or names to know what kind of mental disability people had. The Cask of Amontillado is set between the 18th and 19th century. Many critics believed that Montressor was trying to kill another side of him. Nevertheless, Montresor’s actions made him appear as a psychopath who later became a murderer because of his “veracity” when tell ...more
Gregory Martin
Poe, like Asimov, is a master of efficiency in prose and story-telling. I was not aware of this story until I watched the "The Fifth Bullet" episode of season 2 of Castle. There's a line of dialogue between Castle and a character with amnesia in which Castle wishes he could read "The Cask of Amontillado" for the first time again. Glad I found it and did.
Alannah
The character I liked the most was Montresor because in the story he was really clever.
This book makes me think about my little sister and how sneaky and clever she can be.
The setting of this story is important because it shows how much a "clown" Fortunato really can be.
John Martindale
I must say I found the numerous reviews of this short story a good deal more interesting than the book itself. It seemed to be a tale of psychopath burying some innocent victim alive in revenge for some perceived wrong.
Anusree Burman
Edgar Allan Poe's stories are artfully written with the utmost care; the intentions of the protagonist, the motives behind the action and the moral chaos resulting therein are exquisitely portrayed. I agree his stories are essentially Gothic in nature but I believe they are reflections of the inner conflicts he faced which he subtly concealed as horror in his stories. I was amazed to learn that he wrote stories of this genre but there is no denying the fact that he is a master storyteller. I am ...more
عفاف
It show the meaning of revenge and deception, and how Montresor succeeds in concealing his real intentions behind the mask of friendship :(
Melina Vazquez
I like this book it was a really good book i think it was really interesting.i would totally recommend this story to any of my friends and i will start reading more of short story's like this.
Kashish
Ah, a story full of irony, dark scenery and sweet, sweet revenge..
Morales 2341 Spri...: Crazy Personas 32 20 Apr 09, 2015 11:34AM
Morales 2341 Spri...: Crazy Personas 44 25 Mar 26, 2015 01:13AM
Gothic Literature: The Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Alken Poe 4 27 Mar 25, 2014 05:09PM
The Macabre &amp...: The Cask of Amontillado 4 20 Dec 12, 2012 05:58PM
  • The Rats in the Walls
  • A Rose for Emily
  • The Necklace and Other Short Stories
  • To Build A Fire
  • The Rocking Horse Winner (Travelman Classics)
  • The Story of an Hour and Other Stories
  • Araby (Dubliners)
  • The Monkey's Paw
  • The Ransom of Red Chief
  • Miss Brill
  • A Modest Proposal and Other Satirical Works
The name Poe brings to mind images of murderers and madmen, premature burials, and mysterious women who return from the dead. His works have been in print since 1827 and include such literary classics as “The Tell-Tale Heart,” “The Raven,” and “The Fall of the House of Usher.” This versatile writer’s oeuvre includes short stories, poetry, a novel, a textbook, a book of scientific theory, and hundr ...more
More about Edgar Allan Poe...
The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings The Complete Stories and Poems The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Tales Essential Tales and Poems The Raven

“A million candles have burned themselves out. Still I read on. (Montresor)” 48 likes
“Yes," I said, "for the love of God!” 27 likes