Start by marking “The Return of Simple” as Want to Read:
The Return of Simple

The Return of Simple

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Jesse B. Simple, Simple to his fans, made weekly appearances beginning in 1943 in Langston Hughes' column in the Chicago Defender. Simple may have shared his readers feelings of loss and dispossession, but he also cheered them on with his wonderful wit and passion for life.

Published April 1st 2011 by Hill and Wang (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Return of Simple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Return of Simple

Anji
These very short stories are surprisingly relatable in so many ways today, both in the ways they are human and in the ways our society has failed to progress, particularly in areas concerning race (poverty, police, etc). Langston Hughes simultaneously represents the underdog, the voice of reason, societal norms/tradition, and he does so with such humor and style, in his beautiful economic eloquence, you'll mourn his absence once again.
Serenity
Apr 11, 2007 Serenity rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
It's Langston Hughes!

Also, the editor is wonderful. I love Dr. Donna Akiba Sullivan Harper =). She's my Mama Kiba!

I actually helped her go through her edits of her book because I had nothing else better to do in the afternoon at school. It was a wonderful learning experience and I appreciate Dr. Harper sharing this experience with me.

Karen
I really love the wit and wisdom expressed by Jesse B. Semple in these short pieces (originally newspaper columns). He comments on topics including the good and the bad side of racial integration, discrimination, and growing up in the American South. Enlightening and very amusing at the same time.
Traci
You need humor, an open mind, and really just get ready to laugh....Langston is an awesome writer. The Return of Simple is a sequel. Understanding the Harlem Renaissance era would help you to better understand the book.
Broadsnark
I wish more people would take the time to get out of the theoretical language and bring ideas down to an everyday level. We need an anarchists version of conversations with simple.
Jacqueline
Many of these stories were written over sixty years ago, but you wouldn't know it which is the genius of this book.
Age
It just doesn't get any better than Simple!
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Savina
Savina marked it as to-read
Cate Calkins
Cate Calkins marked it as to-read
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Maurice Wilson
Maurice Wilson marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Juan Huertas
Juan Huertas is currently reading it
Feb 21, 2015
Arriety
Arriety marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Candace
Candace marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Byron
Byron marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Vikki L Harris-Dooley
Vikki L Harris-Dooley is currently reading it
Jan 23, 2015
Cb
Cb marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Mister Rabdargad
Mister Rabdargad marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Tim James
Tim James marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Life of Langston Hughes: Volume I: 1902-1941, I, Too, Sing America (Life of Langston Hughes, 1902-1941)
  • Twenty-five Books That Shaped America: How White Whales, Green Lights, and Restless Spirits Forged Our National Identity
  • The Bibliophile's Devotional: 365 Days of Literary Classics
  • What Comes Naturally: Miscegenation Law and the Making of Race in America
  • Uncle John's Triumphant 20th Anniversary Bathroom Reader
  • Chicken Soup Stories for a Better World (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • Why Buffy Matters: The Art of Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • The Pig of Happiness
  • If I'd Known Then: Women in their 20s and 30s Write Letters to Their Younger Selves
  • The Intellectual Devotional Biographies: Revive Your Mind, Complete Your Education, and Acquaint Yourself with the World's Greatest Personalities
  • Trouble in Mind: Black Southerners in the Age of Jim Crow
  • Cafe Europa: Life After Communism
  • Under the Covers and between the Sheets: Facts and Trivia about the World's Greatest Books
  • Sarajevo Marlboro
  • A Nation Rising: Untold Tales of Flawed Founders, Fallen Heroes, and Forgotten Fighters from America's Hidden History
  • Viva la Repartee: Clever Comebacks and Witty Retorts from History's Great Wits and Wordsmiths
  • We Killed: The Rise of Women in American Comedy
  • Camilla's Roses
Langston Hughes was an American poet, social activist, novelist, playwright, short story writer, and columnist. He was one of the earliest innovators of the then-new literary art form jazz poetry. Hughes is best known for his work during the Harlem Renaissance. He famously wrote about the period that "Harlem was in vogue."
More about Langston Hughes...
The Collected Poems Selected Poems The Ways of White Folks Not Without Laughter The Best of Simple