Start by marking “One in Thine Hand: A Novel Set in Modern Israel” as Want to Read:
One in Thine Hand: A Novel Set in Modern Israel

One in Thine Hand: A Novel Set in Modern Israel

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  1,202 ratings  ·  130 reviews
Brad Kennison is a returned missionary and a Vietnam vet looking for direction in his life. He makes a journey to Israel in the summer of 1973, at the height of the uneasy days leading up to the Yom Kippur War. Accompanying him through the Holy Land is Miri Shadmi, a fiery Israeli committed to the political survival of her state and scornful of Americans - like Brad.

With

Published January 1st 1982 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about One in Thine Hand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One in Thine Hand

Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites by Chris HeimerdingerPillar of Light by Gerald N. LundCharly by Jack WeylandPrincess Academy by Shannon HaleFire of the Covenant by Gerald N. Lund
Best LDS fiction
42nd out of 473 books — 424 voters
Princess Academy by Shannon HaleFablehaven by Brandon MullThe Goose Girl by Shannon HalePrincess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day GeorgePrincess of Glass by Jessica Day George
Books by Utah Authors
170th out of 729 books — 366 voters

More lists with this book...

Linda Hart
Actually this story takes place in . I think Gerald Lund is always a good read. Against the political & social scene of "modern" Israel of 30 years ago (when the book was first published) Gerald weaves a story of compelling mystery, self discovery. and romance. He brings together 3 major world religions of Judaism, Islam and Mormonism, and does it in a way that leaves the reader with a profound respect for all. I gave it 5 stars because I enjoyed it enough to read it twice
Melody
Very good book, I am grateful for the recommendation. :) I really enjoyed it more so than I would have before, because I currently have an Institute teacher who is from Jewish descent, so I feel I can relate to it more. The whole Jew and Mormon views, after taking his class, and seeing his side of things more, knowing there is much to learn from all peoples, and all religions for that matter. :)
Mark
I love this novel that Gerald Lund wrote more than 25 years ago. It's a great adventure and love story set in modern day Israel. You follow the story of a returned missionary that is also a veteran, as he seeks to find himself in the land that is deeply part of his faith.
Jill
I read this book multiple times as a teenager and loved it....so when I saw it on the shelf at DI last week I had to buy it and read it again 30 years later!

I still love it...maybe for sentimental reasons but also because of what I learn from Miriam's questions and struggles to believe in Jesus Christ and his role as the Savior and Son of God. Also, I have never fully understood the history and politics of the Middle East (I still don't) but I appreciate the glimpse into it that this story prov
Kate
I remember reading this book when I was a teen, so more than 20 years ago. There was one part of the book that stood out to me so much that I remembered it even now, though I'd forgotten much of the storyline itself. I'm so glad I re-read the book.
Not only did I enjoy the characters, and the way the story was presented, I loved the bits of history. I did not know that 'Jerusalem' means 'place of peace' in Hebrew. Fascinating stuff! It made me not only want to read more about the Yom Kippur war,
Megan
This was a good book. It probably could be rated a 3 1/2 stars :) I liked learning about Israeli Jews, Arabic Moslems and comparing them to a mormon point of view. I really started to understand a little better what all those different terms mean and how they relate in a middle eastern setting. That was interesting to me because my best friend in highschool was also Arabic and a muslem and we frequently compared our beliefs. We got along really well because there are so many parallels. So it was ...more
Ruth
Pretty good book. I've always thought Lund is a good story teller, though the dialogue can be a bit cheesy, and in this case, the plot was really stretching my ability to suspend my disbelief. I was actually hoping that this book would go into the different doctrines of the Jewish, Christian, and Muslim faiths, but of course it was just focused on the Mormon point of view.
Linda
Brad is a bit frustrated with his life after serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and then serving in the army for two years in Vietnam. He takes a trip to Israel to find himself. He meets Ali, an Arab on the plane to Tel Aviv. He and Ali become fast friends and with his help Brad finds a place to live and a job and a feisty girl, Miri, who wants nothing to do with him. The story is interesting and well paced, it was fun for me to read because when I was in Isra ...more
Lindsay
The story of a Arab, American, and Israeli. It was a fun fictional story but I was disappointed over all. It would probably only be interesting to a Mormon reader. So although I enjoyed it, it bothered me that it doesn't have a universal view. Interesting points on how Jews may view Christianity. Also interesting points on differing notions of "Zion" in Mormonism and Judaism. However, I expected there to be more about the Muslim view, which is where much of my interest lies. I found it highly un ...more
Diana
American Mormon, Viet Nam vet returned missionary Brad and Jewish Israeli Miri meet each other in the Holy land, but can they reconcile their differences as they fall in love? A little bit of history, love story, & religion rolled into a good story. Gerald Lund doesn't disappoint.
MonaLee Averett
I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys Gerald Lunds books.

I have reviewed this book and thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't know what more to say. I really loved it.

Kris
I read this for the first time at the age of 16 and it ignited in me the desire to visit the Holy Land. I haven't fulfilled that desire yet but parts of this book still come to me at times. Loved it.
Joan
This is a novel set in modern Israel...well, modern as in the 60's and 70's. It is about a group of young people thrown together in Israel around the time of the end of the Viet Nam war. It involves an American (Brad Kennison) and an Israeli girl (Miriam Shadmi)who are both passionate about their cultures and their religions. It is filled with romance, history, intrigue, and adventure, along with a lot of looking into the culture and beliefs of the Mormon religion. It was enjoyable and moving at ...more
G (galen)
Lund has really got this thing about requiring his love interests to be on the same page, religiously and/or politically. That's his predictable formula for creating tension in his fiction. Of course, this novel is set in Israel in the 1970... There is already quite a bit of tension in the air thank-you very much.
In this setting of a politically and religiously landscape, returned missionary Brad gets into his own little political and religious dispute with his lovely tour guide. His main probl
Dahlene
I loved this book back in high school--or maybe just after I was married. It is still a good book, but I changed my star rating from a 5 to a 4. I've read a lot of 5 star books recently and this just not make the 5 star list anymore. Maybe my tastes are changing.

I do like the history of Jerusalem in a novel. I learned a lot of things about the Holy Land that are meaningful, but the whole "I'm going to convert this Jewish girl into a Mormon so I can marry her" is so old.

Gerald Lund is a great h
Sherri Condie Sillitoe
I loved this book as I was a young adult
Diego Del
great i couldnt read it!!!!!!
Lisa
I haven't read Gerald Lund in a long while, and forgot that I even had this book in my bookcase. I found myself without anything to read one night, and I remembered my husband actually finishing this one, so I thought I'd try it. I am a little surprised how much I enjoyed this book; I think I may even have loved it! The setting was different, the characters were likeable and the romance sweet. Nothing heavy or challenging about this book, just nice light reading. And you learn a little about Isr ...more
Cami
Great book!

Lisa
A fantastic story of three unlikely friends and their spiritual and physical adventures during the summer of 1973 just before the Yom Kippur war in Israel. Brad, a returned missionary/Vietnam war veteran who isn't sure what to do with his life, decides to go to Jerusalem and visit the Holy land for some possible inspiration. While there he meets Miri, an Israelite woman. It is a heart wrenching love story that also teaches you some historical facts that you may not know already. My favorite Gera ...more
Andrea
this is the first book I've read that's set in the middle-east. And I admit that I've had little interest in this part of the world and have put even less effort into understanding it. My curiosity was piqued from reading about the places, and relationships between people in Israel. I learned a lot and would actually like to learn more. If it were more safe and peaceful I would like to travel there and see these places myself (although the book addresses the unrest and danger in Israel).
Melissa
A young LDS man returns from his mission and ends up in Jerusalem where his guide is a Jewish woman. This book is a romantic suspense novel. There is much discussion about LDS beliefs and how they are similar and dissimilar to Jewish beliefs. I have read this book several times and it never gets boring.

Not only is there the romance factor, but there are some suspensful things that happen and also then the religious discussions are thought provoking and very interesting.
Becky Rose
I read this book as a teenager driving to Minnesota with my parents in a car with no air conditioning. I would read chapter as close to the front seat as possible so my mom, dad and sister could hear. When the chapter was over, we'd roll down the windew and get some HOT wind! Love story with a Mormon and a Jew, some history of the 3 day war and an understanding of the Atonement! Good Fiction! Great Read.
Susan
This book was fun to read. I especially liked the details about Israel and how challenging it is to mix Arabs, Jews, and Christians. It takes place during the 70's and describes a few of the specific wars in Israel during that time. The only thing I didn't enjoy a lot was the romance description; to me, that becomes cheesy when the girl's hair glistens in the sun every time they see each other.
Joseph
as far as "mormon fiction" goes, no one matches Gerald Lund, and this is his best book. I also can't help but give props that it's surprisingly pro-palestine in a lot of ways and as a narrative, it's passionate about showing the import of knowing history and current events of the middle east. A gripping tale that's also a wake up call from apathy. Huge props Mr. Lund.
Tiffany
If you like reading "Mormon fiction" you'll like this one. The book is set in the middle east during the 70's and gives interesting insight into the relationship between Jews and Arabs. The romance is pretty good between the two main characters, although perhaps a little TOO cheesy in some parts....like talking about how they want to have 8 kids when they get married!
Kirsten
I really liked this book. I have always been interested in the Jewish religion and culture and in the Muslim religion and culture. So it was cool to have that intertwined in this story. I really loved the specific things about the gospel and about Christ that were talked about in this book. I kind of like that I ended up reading it around Easter time, it was fitting.
Betty Ann Baer
I've read this book several times and still love it. It is one of Gerald Lund's first few books before the Work and the Glory series. I shared it with my book club. It is about the Jews and Arabs and I took some time to find lots of info on the Internet about these two groups. This really helped my understanding of these two nationalities.
Allison
The title of this book says, "Set in Modern Israel" but then I suppose for Israel times, the 1970s are modern--except that things are always changing no matter how much they stay the same over there. Of course, it is a love story (that's just Lund), but I was hoping for a little more insight to Israel itself; otherwise, a fair book.
  • Before the Dawn
  • Daniel and Nephi
  • Faith of Our Fathers: Through the Perilous Fight (Volume Three)
  • Love Beyond Time
  • The Gable Faces East (Byrnehouse-Davies & Hamilton Saga, #1)
  • Prelude to Glory, Vol. 2: Times That Try Men's Souls
Pillar of Light (The Work and the Glory, #1) Like a Fire Burning (The Work and the Glory, #2) Truth Will Prevail (The Work and the Glory, #3) Thy Gold to Refine (The Work and the Glory, #4) A Season of Joy (The Work and the Glory, #5)