Start by marking “Too Young to Kill” as Want to Read:
Too Young to Kill

Too Young to Kill

"Phelps gets into the blood and guts of the story." -Gregg Olsen

Killing Her Wasn't Enough. . .

Sixteen-year-old Adrianne Reynolds couldn't unravel the twisted tangles of jealousy and domination complicating her new life in East Moline, Illinois. What began as a fresh start after a troubled home life in Texas ended with Adrianne's body charred, stuffed into garbage bags, and
Published August 2nd 2011 by Pinnacle (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Too Young to Kill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Young to Kill

♥ Marlene♥
What happened to M. W. Phelps. His writing has gone downhill or this is just and oldie but I am struggling. Not because the story because this is one of my interests.

I have a lot of books where young kids kill but the writing is so annoying. From page 1 he is skipping from time to time. it is very confusing and he also very much adds his thoughts in the book so it is also quite judgemental.

Normally I would have finished in a day or 2 but this is surprisingly even getting boring because he is rep
Landon
Feb 25, 2012 Landon rated it really liked it
I honestly read this whole book in one day, I just couldn't put it down. It's sick, and twisted, but fascinating and deeply interesting. Its a non-fiction piece, the story of Adrianne Reynolds, a 16 year old girl with a rough past of broken families, depression, drugs, alcohol, and sexual activity, was murderer, burned, dismembered, and scattered. This sick crime was committed not by a serial or professional killer, but by her own friends. Sarah Kolb (currently serving a nearly 60 year sentence) ...more
Dierdra Byrd
Let me start out by saying that I love True crime books. This one however was really, really just boring. The case is very interesting and more heartbreaking then most because the victim was a 17 year old girl. The writing for me anyway was to repetitiousness and really never drew me into the story.
If you are interested in Adrienne's story tho I suggest watching the episode Snapped did for her. It is more interesting and the book doesn't include anything new aside from the authors view points.
Suzie Flohr
Aug 15, 2013 Suzie Flohr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good one Mr Phelps. Loved it.
Colette
If you enjoy true crime stories, this is a very good book. If you are the least bit squeamish however, you should probably skip it - although I'm not sure one can ever be squeamish if you enjoy true crime stories!

Mr. Phelps describes a very sick, sadistic, and heartless murder, and the subsequent attempt at a cover up, of a young girl by her peers but he does it with tact and without gory details beyond the briefest description of the facts.

How kids can reach the point of the darkness and depth
BRNTerri

This is the sad story of an innocent sixteen year old girl who was only trying to fit in with her peers. Adrianne, the murder victim, had some deep and serious mental problems. She was a ‘cutter’ and had told a therapist that she’d attemped suicide thirty times. In her attempt to fit it and be liked by everyone, she became very promiscuous at a very young age. Unfortunately for her, she became involved with a group of drug abusing, troubled teens and the leader of the pack was a violent, uncontr
Marianne Stehr
Sep 02, 2011 Marianne Stehr rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There is not one character in this book to root for or care about, victim included. This is not entirely the authors fault, since he can only deal with the characters given to him, however this is so jumbled and mixed up that it has no flow to it at all. If you are interested in the Insane Clown Posse "Juggalos" and a bunch of kids and parents that are so messed up that you want to scream then read it, if not don't waste your time on this one, it was doomed from the start.
Jen
Nov 25, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I lived just 2 towns over for a few years shortly after these events took place. I remember hearing about it from the locals but never really knew the story until now. Not only is the story itself sad and disturbing, but it is eerie to read a true crime book about a place you've called home yourself and actually have been to the places described...
Melody Hill
The story was a compelling true story of how high school bullying turned into murder. However, the writing was so bad I had flashbacks to grading English essays. It was very distracting and I won't be reading anything else by this author.
Ashley Hansgen
Mar 25, 2012 Ashley Hansgen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Phelps is a great true crime author. The subject matter of this book is rather disturbing, but gives good insight into a teen culture that I did not know existed.
Paula Rae Anderson
Great book, I couldnt put it down.
Rhonda
Feb 02, 2017 Rhonda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a well written book. The research was very well done and I learned many things about this case that I never knew. Being from the Quad Cities, I knew parts of this story and it brought up many memories of what I had been doing and hearing while this was happening. It amazes me how much of a story is not told by the media and what they choose to focus on.
Veronica
Jul 23, 2012 Veronica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Phelps has a way of presenting the facts of a case without dramatizing them. Often true crime stories fall into the category of the writer completely siding with the victim or badgering the defendent in their account of what happened. Phelps has mastered the sympathetic yet honest way of detailing the crime and trying to get into the minds of the people he is profiling.

In this tale, Adrianne Reynolds simply wants a group of friends like her. However, she finds Sarah Kolb and her group. Sarah is
Mel
"Teenagers are very impulsive and have not had enough life experience to understand that the way they feel and think at the moment is not always going to be the way they feel or think. Depression, drugs and the longing to fit in to the point of having the willingness to do anything for a "friend" are warning signs we as parents so often miss. Please, parents, talk seriously to your teens, find out what they think and how they feel." (By Teresa Gregory)

It's all just very sad story with really sad
Lynda Kelly
Jan 01, 2013 Lynda Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime
It's heartbreaking what a short and very sad life young Adrianne led. She clearly only wanted to be loved and appreciated yet her family sent her back 'n' forth from parent to parent and so-called friends at school just weren't there for her. Her parents had her at such a young age that they really were in no position to raise her properly.
It's horrifying what these teenagers did to one of their own who really did nothing to them whatsoever to warrant being attacked the way she was.
There were o
Fishface
This was OK, not spectacular. I felt there were some large gaps in the information, aside from the often-clumsy writing. The author says he exposed everything about the Juggalo subculture, for instance, and I really disagree; I learned almost nothing about it except that Phelps hates ICP's music and disapproves of their fans. I have no idea whether Juggalo-ism even had anything to do with this murder case. On the other hand he did make as much as he could out of the information and interviews he ...more
Elizabeth
This book was ok. I usually find true crime books really interesting, but this one was a little dull, especially going through all the repetitive teen "he said she said" drama. Also, the author seems very self-righteous (which I've noticed in his other books), mentioning the drug use of the group over and over and repeating the term "lesbian relationship" in a bit of a discriminating way. He also puts most of the blame of the crime on the Insane Clown Posse, which I thought was a little much.
Lenny
Dec 03, 2016 Lenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
M. William Phelps presents another one of his true crime masterpieces. A horrific murder that's committed by sixteen year olds for no apparent reason.
Janet Richards
Sep 02, 2012 Janet Richards rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
There are no good words to describe the needless and tragic death of a child. And in this case not only did she die - but three other kids lives were ruined. All four of these children and so many more were failed by the parents and adults around them who let them blissfully stew in their loneliness, purposfullessness, and drug filled lives. So much talent wasted.
roberta
Dec 10, 2014 roberta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Some say the writing was jumbled and hard to follow. I think going back and forth between the players have more insight into what was really going on in these kids minds. The impulsivity of the killer,Sarah,the desire to fit in and how easily it is for teens to get and use drugs is something we should all be aware of. I will definitely continue reading Phelps.
Anita Harris
Aug 14, 2013 Anita Harris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's appalling to know that this kind of thing is going on with our young people! As sad as it was I couldn't put it down....Mr. Phelps did an excellent job once again...for those that are fans of True Crime, I highly recommend this book....
Lynda M. Breeze
Aug 17, 2014 Lynda M. Breeze rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sad

Sad

I guess someone had to tell it, but what a heartbreaker! with all due respect please stop.rtf he dangling participle! love the work but for me that distracts from the well researched well writtenaccount of a horrendous crime
!
Ruth
Teenagers murdered and dismembered a classmate. Frightful. But I wish the writer had not injected his thoughts, opinions while telling the story. Let the story speak for itself and the reader develop their opinion.
Kelly
Feb 08, 2016 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was really engrossing, but my major problem is the author's bias. True crime writers should be objective. Phelps blaming the crime on juggalo ethics is like blaming the Columbine massacre on video games. Media does not murder... it is people who kill people.
Chris
Feb 08, 2013 Chris is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm still reading nth is book. Not for the squeamish, but well worth the read. I truly believe the kids involved in Adrienne Reynolds murder had to have had some deep rooted mental dysfunction. What the did to this poor kid who was just trying to "fit in" was sick and twisted.
Anne
Mar 01, 2013 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book that is truly shocking. It's hard to imagine something like this can happen. This book makes you want to read it in one sitting. If you enjoy true crime, this should be on your "to-read" list.
Kim Wantroba
Apr 23, 2014 Kim Wantroba rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although some of the stories of the individuals involved have been heard before, typical teen stuff, the author writes in such a way that I found it gripping. I love true crime stories and plan to read all of Mr. Phelps' other titles.
Jeannette
Apr 03, 2014 Jeannette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love his books - he gives you an insight on the whole thing, goes back into the case and gives you facts and why people did what they did. If you like true crime books, read this author
Ashley
Nov 23, 2013 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This is a good, typical true crime book that satisfied my occasional need to read about true evil. The author made the story flow well.
Krista
Nov 02, 2013 Krista rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was very well written, when I first saw the story on deadly women I was horrified. great job as always!
  • Blood in the Snow: The True Story of a Stay-at-Home Dad, his High-Powered Wife, and the Jealousy that Drove him to Murder
  • A Need to Kill: Confessions of a Teen Murderer
  • Predator
  • Die, My Love: a True Story of Revenge, Murder, and Two Texas Sisters
  • Baby Be Mine
  • All She Wanted
  • Lie After Lie: The True Story of a Master of Deception, Betrayal, and Murder
  • No Mercy: The Host of America's Most Wanted Hunts the Worst Criminals of Our Time--In Shattering True Crime Cases
  • Bad Boy: The True Story of Kenneth Allen McDuff, the Most Notorious Serial Killer in Texas History
  • Exposed: The Secret Life of Jodi Arias
  • My Stolen Son: The Nick Markowitz Story
  • If Loving You Is Wrong: The Shocking True Story of Mary Kay Letourneau
  • Women Who Kill
  • Mafia Princess
Crime, murder and serial killer expert, creator/producer/writer and former host of the Investigation Discovery series DARK MINDS, acclaimed, award-winning investigative journalist M. William Phelps is the New York Times best-selling author of 30 books and winner of the 2013 Excellence in (Investigative) Journalism Award and the 2008 New England Book Festival Award. A highly sought-after pundit, Ph ...more
More about M. William Phelps...