Too Young to Kill

Too Young to Kill

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  177 ratings  ·  30 reviews
"Phelps gets into the blood and guts of the story." -Gregg OlsenKilling Her Wasn't Enough...

Sixteen-year-old Adrianne Reynolds couldn't unravel the twisted tangles of jealousy and domination complicating her new life in East Moline, Illinois. What began as a fresh start after a troubled home life in Texas ended with Adrianne's body charred, stuffed into garbage bags, and s...more
Published August 1st 2011 by Pinnacle Books (first published January 1st 2011)

Landon
I honestly read this whole book in one day, I just couldn't put it down. It's sick, and twisted, but fascinating and deeply interesting. Its a non-fiction piece, the story of Adrianne Reynolds, a 16 year old girl with a rough past of broken families, depression, drugs, alcohol, and sexual activity, was murderer, burned, dismembered, and scattered. This sick crime was committed not by a serial or professional killer, but by her own friends. Sarah Kolb (currently serving a nearly 60 year sentence)...more
Colette
If you enjoy true crime stories, this is a very good book. If you are the least bit squeamish however, you should probably skip it - although I'm not sure one can ever be squeamish if you enjoy true crime stories!

Mr. Phelps describes a very sick, sadistic, and heartless murder, and the subsequent attempt at a cover up, of a young girl by her peers but he does it with tact and without gory details beyond the briefest description of the facts.

How kids can reach the point of the darkness and depth...more
Dierdra Byrd
Let me start out by saying that I love True crime books. This one however was really, really just boring. The case is very interesting and more heartbreaking then most because the victim was a 17 year old girl. The writing for me anyway was to repetitiousness and really never drew me into the story.
If you are interested in Adrienne's story tho I suggest watching the episode Snapped did for her. It is more interesting and the book doesn't include anything new aside from the authors view points.
BRNTerri

This is the sad story of an innocent sixteen year old girl who was only trying to fit in with her peers. Adrianne, the murder victim, had some deep and serious mental problems. She was a ‘cutter’ and had told a therapist that she’d attemped suicide thirty times. In her attempt to fit it and be liked by everyone, she became very promiscuous at a very young age. Unfortunately for her, she became involved with a group of drug abusing, troubled teens and the leader of the pack was a violent, uncontr...more
Marianne Stehr
There is not one character in this book to root for or care about, victim included. This is not entirely the authors fault, since he can only deal with the characters given to him, however this is so jumbled and mixed up that it has no flow to it at all. If you are interested in the Insane Clown Posse "Juggalos" and a bunch of kids and parents that are so messed up that you want to scream then read it, if not don't waste your time on this one, it was doomed from the start.
Jen
I lived just 2 towns over for a few years shortly after these events took place. I remember hearing about it from the locals but never really knew the story until now. Not only is the story itself sad and disturbing, but it is eerie to read a true crime book about a place you've called home yourself and actually have been to the places described...
Melody Hill
The story was a compelling true story of how high school bullying turned into murder. However, the writing was so bad I had flashbacks to grading English essays. It was very distracting and I won't be reading anything else by this author.
Ashley Hansgen
Phelps is a great true crime author. The subject matter of this book is rather disturbing, but gives good insight into a teen culture that I did not know existed.
Veronica
Phelps has a way of presenting the facts of a case without dramatizing them. Often true crime stories fall into the category of the writer completely siding with the victim or badgering the defendent in their account of what happened. Phelps has mastered the sympathetic yet honest way of detailing the crime and trying to get into the minds of the people he is profiling.

In this tale, Adrianne Reynolds simply wants a group of friends like her. However, she finds Sarah Kolb and her group. Sarah is...more
Mel
"Teenagers are very impulsive and have not had enough life experience to understand that the way they feel and think at the moment is not always going to be the way they feel or think. Depression, drugs and the longing to fit in to the point of having the willingness to do anything for a "friend" are warning signs we as parents so often miss. Please, parents, talk seriously to your teens, find out what they think and how they feel." (By Teresa Gregory)

It's all just very sad story with really sad...more
Lynda Kelly
It's heartbreaking what a short and very sad life young Adrianne led. She clearly only wanted to be loved and appreciated yet her family sent her back 'n' forth from parent to parent and so-called friends at school just weren't there for her. Her parents had her at such a young age that they really were in no position to raise her properly.
It's horrifying what these teenagers did to one of their own who really did nothing to them whatsoever to warrant being attacked the way she was.
There were o...more
Kim Wantroba
Although some of the stories of the individuals involved have been heard before, typical teen stuff, the author writes in such a way that I found it gripping. I love true crime stories and plan to read all of Mr. Phelps' other titles.
Jeannette
I love his books - he gives you an insight on the whole thing, goes back into the case and gives you facts and why people did what they did. If you like true crime books, read this author
Margie
Very good, it is such a shame that this had to happen
Elizabeth
This book was ok. I usually find true crime books really interesting, but this one was a little dull, especially going through all the repetitive teen "he said she said" drama. Also, the author seems very self-righteous (which I've noticed in his other books), mentioning the drug use of the group over and over and repeating the term "lesbian relationship" in a bit of a discriminating way. He also puts most of the blame of the crime on the Insane Clown Posse, which I thought was a little much.
Janet Richards
There are no good words to describe the needless and tragic death of a child. And in this case not only did she die - but three other kids lives were ruined. All four of these children and so many more were failed by the parents and adults around them who let them blissfully stew in their loneliness, purposfullessness, and drug filled lives. So much talent wasted.
Chris
Feb 08, 2013 Chris is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm still reading nth is book. Not for the squeamish, but well worth the read. I truly believe the kids involved in Adrienne Reynolds murder had to have had some deep rooted mental dysfunction. What the did to this poor kid who was just trying to "fit in" was sick and twisted.
Anita Harris
It's appalling to know that this kind of thing is going on with our young people! As sad as it was I couldn't put it down....Mr. Phelps did an excellent job once again...for those that are fans of True Crime, I highly recommend this book....
Ruth
Teenagers murdered and dismembered a classmate. Frightful. But I wish the writer had not injected his thoughts, opinions while telling the story. Let the story speak for itself and the reader develop their opinion.
Anne Lehradt
Great book that is truly shocking. It's hard to imagine something like this can happen. This book makes you want to read it in one sitting. If you enjoy true crime, this should be on your "to-read" list.
Taron
Great book. One girl just wants to fit it, and another girls jealously turns into a gruesome murder. And how a twisted girl can recruit others to help her dispose of the body in a horrifying way.
Paula Sayers
We moved to the Quad Cities 6 months after Adrianne was murdered. So sad how her young life ended. We live just a couple of miles from where her body was found in Blackhawk Park.
Lauren Silver
This book was actually really good, I really liked the author. It's terrible to think about these kind of things, but the fact that the books are actual cases is even more intense!
Tracey Toombs
I just finished this one and it really stuck with me. Such a sad story and well told by the author. This one is going to haunt me for a while, I suspect.
Lindsay
Phelps is one of my favorite true crime writers, but in this book I think his biases against teenagers and teen culture show, which can be disappointing.
Ashley
This is a good, typical true crime book that satisfied my occasional need to read about true evil. The author made the story flow well.
Krista
This book was very well written, when I first saw the story on deadly women I was horrified. great job as always!
Peg
Very interesting and disturbing story. I wasn't crazy about the way it was written. It's a little to repetitive.
Preeti0203
Really awesome story....sad, shocking...but really good portrayal of the heights of teen drama.
Theresa
Another good true crime book by a great Author.
  • All She Wanted
  • Exposed: The Secret Life of Jodi Arias
  • Such Good Boys: The True Story of a Mother, Two Sons and a Horrifying Murder
  • Before He Wakes: A True Story of Money, Marriage, Sex and Murder
  • Mommy's Little Girl
  • Don't Look Behind You and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #15)
  • By Their Father's Hand: The True Story of the Wesson Family Massacre
  • Ted Bundy: Conversations with a Killer
  • Under the Bridge: The True Story of the Murder of Reena Virk
  • True Crime: An American Anthology
  • Lost and Found: The True Story of Jaycee Lee Dugard and the Abduction that Shocked the World
  • If Loving You Is Wrong: The Shocking True Story of Mary Kay Letourneau
  • Angel Face: The Real Story of Student Killer Amanda Knox
  • A Deadly Game: The Untold Story of the Scott Peterson Investigation
M. William Phelps lives in Connecticut with his wife and three children.

He is the author of 14 true crime books.
More about M. William Phelps...
Because You Loved Me The Devil's Rooming House: The True Story of America's Deadliest Female Serial Killer Murder In The Heartland Cruel Death Perfect Poison: A Female Serial Killer's Deadly Medicine