Start by marking “Still Life Paintings” as Want to Read:
Still Life Paintings

Still Life Paintings

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  22 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Still Life Paintings is a collection of three short stories, thematically linked by painting. This collection is 10,000 words in length and contains bonus material in the form of an an essay excerpt from the book Reflections on Motherhood as well.

In the first story Abstract Remembrances, a young mother has a mental breakdown after a tragic event. She paints the same image
Published July 9th 2011 by Quirky Gurl Media

To ask other readers questions about Still Life Paintings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Still Life Paintings

Rhonda
Jul 18, 2011 Rhonda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its a good collection of really short stories on art. Three of st
ories touched me deeply. The Mother who son dies and she paints the same picture every day but doesn't know what the picture is about. Mother who is tired of dealing with her kids fighting takes the time to teach her kids a lesson about art and paints with them and learning a lesson at same time. The painter that shows how he has grown and realizes how much he loves his old girl friend.
She told different stories dealing with art an
Cate (The Professional Fangirl)
This is a Reading Good Books review.

I would’ve given it five stars if not for the errors I spotted. But I’ll get to that later.

This book contains three short stories ranging from romance to tragedy. Except for the first one, this has a very “feel good” tone to it. Abstract Remembrances is about a mother confined in a mental institution. Everyday, she paints a portrait of her young son. Something tragic happened in her life and could art therapy help her recover? This story was heavy. It was ju
Avry15
Oct 16, 2014 Avry15 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
originally appeared on:Bookshelf Confessions

*I won a free copy of this e-book in a LibraryThing Member Giveaway*

WOW!
it's really a touching book-touching in a way that it could shake your soul down to the core...
the stories are really fascinating and would make you appreciate life even more.. and make you see art as it should be..-or beyond your eyes..
the stories which are associated with arts are really wonderful..some of it made me cry! remarkable and unforgettable..Good job Karen

Still Life Pai
Jill
Aug 07, 2011 Jill rated it it was amazing
Three very short stories invoke a powerful reaction to tales of love.

***

The extreme pain and psychological affect on Kady when her child is killed in an accident is expressed through painting in “Abstract Remembrances” The graphic ending to this very short story may upset some readers.

Painting the same scene together in the short story “Different Strokes” opens up communications and teaches a mother an importance lesson as they celebrate similarities and differences of artists and paintings.

In
Jill
Aug 07, 2011 Jill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Three very short stories invoke a powerful reaction to tales of love.

***

In
Michele Minor
Sep 30, 2011 Michele Minor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
This collection of short stories is a quick read. The first story about a woman who has a nervous breakdown after a tragic event in her life. She paints the same image over and over again not recognizing that it is the same image when she does have a breakthrough she does break down. The second story is about a harried mother who uses different art forms to teach her children about tolerance. She also teaches herself an important lesson as well. In her third story, a young woman sees her ex boyf ...more
Aparna
Dec 10, 2011 Aparna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very interesting set of short stories. Three varied stories .. each one depicts various facets of art in our lives..It shows how humans use art/painting to express their feelings of pain/joy/frustration/love. The first story is a tragedy where a woman paint the same picture over and over again without ever realizing that she is attempting to portray the tragedy that ended her life as she knew it.. In the second story painting helps a mother understand her kids..In the third story an ar ...more
Krizia Anna
May 29, 2012 Krizia Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: karen-fowler
I haven't read a free book that I really liked but this one was an exception. Ms. Fowler was actually a pretty good writer. I think she's good with the canvas and with words. I love the first story and the last one, "Still Life Paintings". The stories were sad and cute at the same time. I loved how the stories have one theme which was art. Even if you don't know a thing about art (like me) you could definitely relate and connect with the stories and characters.
Karen Fowler
Jul 11, 2011 Karen Fowler rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Yay! Just realeased and ready to be read :-)
Lori Henrich
Mar 01, 2012 Lori Henrich rated it it was ok
This was OK. Not great.
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Lucy
Lucy added it
Jan 25, 2016
Christina
Christina rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Annie
Annie rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2015
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015
Kat McKay
Kat McKay marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
DeAnna
DeAnna added it
Feb 23, 2015
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Marita
Marita marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
J.M.
J.M. marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Twilightwatchers
Twilightwatchers marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Raven
Raven rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2014
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Lulu Bruns
Lulu Bruns marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Sally Hegedus
Sally Hegedus marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Amanda Lipe
Amanda Lipe marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2013
Pushpakumari
Pushpakumari marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2013
Friday 13th (Jan) Free on Amazon 1 1 Jan 13, 2012 06:30AM
An avid reader, I believe we have much to learn about the world, and ourselves, through explorations of the written word. Books are the threads of timeless human connection, and I strive, at least in some small way, to touch others through my writing.

Okay, enough of the heavy stuff. Let's get a little personal. I have worn many hats through my thirty-some years of living (and yes, that's as specif
More about Karen Fowler...