Start by marking “SoulSpace: Creating a Home That Is Free of Clutter, Full of Beauty, and Inspired by You” as Want to Read:

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  223 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Lauded designer and architectural conservator Balbes created the eight-stage SoulSpace transformation process to help his clients. Through the stages--assess, release, cleanse, dream, discover, create, elevate, and celebrate--readers explore not only the design of their living spaces but also their own interiors: the ways they think, feel, and sense.
Published September 27th 2011 by New World Library (first published September 22nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about SoulSpace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about SoulSpace

Doreen
Apr 03, 2013 Doreen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kate, Steph
Recommended to Doreen by: saw it at the library
I like the author's writing style as well as his design method. The book contains a methodical way to address how you live in your home. It focuses on feeling comfortable and welcome in your space. There are solid steps to accomplishing a home that enhances and exhibits who you are.

Some may find this book a bit touchy-feely, but I think the author incorporates all the necessary elements needed to create our own unique space. I especially like that the book addresses the outdoor views we have whi
LemontreeLime
This was okay, but i have to admit being a little irritated with it several times throughout the book. It was too short, too flippant, too huggy feely new age 'lite'. Then when he presented the whole collage art future board as if it weren't being touted by every self help guru on the pub weekly list, i just about stopped reading. It could have been better on many levels.
Judith
I picked up this book because the title grabbed me. I have been working on decluttering, minimizing, and organizing my living spaces for years. However, what Balbes' taught me is that these things are not enough. We should strive to design spaces that will foster the types of changes we want to create in our lives.

For example, I had a multi-purpose room where I set up my sewing machine, writing desk, oversized reading chair, yoga mat, and meditation cushion, but I never went into the room. I fe
Elaine Bennett
Jul 31, 2014 Elaine Bennett rated it it was amazing
I loved it! I found this book at the perfect time. I am in the process of revamping my home office and sorting through 10 years worth of school, work, and memories so as to bring more order to my life, to achieve more clarity about how my past has affected my present, and to pave the way for my future. Xorin broke down the process of change into simple and realistic steps. Xorin's case studies brought these steps to life. Further, Xorin took me on a journey that helped me to reconnect with my be ...more
Tami
Apr 15, 2012 Tami rated it really liked it
There’s an interesting new trend in home design. Not so long ago, we all wanted our homes to look like they came out of designer magazines. Perfect, not at all functional, but perfect. Now, people are looking for functional beauty, a house that feels like home- your home.

SoulSpace guides us through the basics of making a house a home. The aim is walking through the front door of the house on a really rough day and having that weight suddenly lifted. You’re safe. All you need do is relax and enj
Amy
Aug 22, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing
This book inspired me to finally purge despite the feeling of - "it's worth something," "maybe I should do a garage sale" "I'll keep it for a while longer" - a truck load went to the local charity and I want to send more there. Make your home an inspiring habitat to fall into when you get home and surrounds you with love, laughter and meaning. It takes the bad away and fills it with good.
Elaine
Jan 14, 2013 Elaine rated it it was amazing
A lot about dreaming of your living space and connecting to your inner needs for that space and then searching unlikely places for the perfect items for that dream space. Case studies gave depth to the big dreams and realizing them in small spaces, taking the kernel of the dream and incorporating that into the space.
Louise
Meh. It started off fine, with lots of talk about how your home environment simultaneously reflects and influences your state of mind and other areas of your life, like careers and relationships. A big part of the "SoulSpace" process is assessing what in your home is/isn't working for you, releasing what doesn't work and appreciating what does work. There's a little bit of harmless woo-woo going on in this first part but it starts to get a little eye-roll-worthy in the second and third parts of ...more
Kat
Apr 22, 2016 Kat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion, this book is a meaningful, fresh look at the topics of organization and interior design. I feel like I could welcome this book readily into my library with open arms, something pretty rare after the first time reading through a book. Contains some extremely useful tips.
Chris
Jan 01, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this little book. While it does get a little new age-y - I don't see myself performing a smudging ceremony - it is full of common sense advice for taking stock of your home and possessions, making sure they support and inspire you and the life you want.
Maureen
Jan 13, 2013 Maureen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone who wants to live a clutter free life
Recommended to Maureen by: The Lumeria left a copy in each of the rooms
I read this while staying at the Lumeria in Maui. I enjoyed it so much that I purchased my own copy. As soon as I returned home from Maui, I began organizing my books on Good Reads and got rid of many that were just weighing me down.
June
Feb 25, 2013 June rated it really liked it
It was an interesting way to look at houses - the cleansing stage, the renewal stage, so on. It made me look at my house to see if not only reflects me but does it reflect where I want to be in the future? Hmmm...
Tempest Devyne
Jan 05, 2015 Tempest Devyne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Why shouldn't your home be as relaxing, beautiful and comforting as a spa? This book explores this and similar ideas and has definitely got me thinking about ways I can help my home-sickness to subside.
Warren-Newport Public Library
Oct 11, 2012 Warren-Newport Public Library rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is the best book about interior decoration I've ever read. The focus is on finding out what things make you feel well and what things don't and applying that knowledge to your home decoration.

~ Nancy
Kara Lauren
Mar 20, 2012 Kara Lauren rated it really liked it
This was a great motivational book to start decluttering and organizing your home. It also helps you work with issues on items you think you need, but really it brings you unhappiness. Xorin is amazing!
Nancy Luque osuji
Oct 10, 2012 Nancy Luque osuji rated it really liked it
Sierra
Dec 23, 2015 Sierra rated it it was amazing
I am generally not that woowoo. But I very much liked this. It helped me get my head straight (and my space soulful :)) after I moved across the state.
Chanel Earl
Feb 27, 2014 Chanel Earl rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who want to have more control over their physical space
Shelves: favorite
I like that this book doesn't only deal with organizing and cleaning, but also with the complex relationships that people have with the spaces they inhabit.
Linda
Apr 30, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it
Great ideas, and modern thinking, no clutter, personal spaces, etc. Very nice book, I might implement some of the ideas.
Lorna
Apr 15, 2013 Lorna rated it it was amazing
Pefect book to get motivated about spring cleaning and purging!
Heidi Hooten
Sep 17, 2013 Heidi Hooten rated it it was amazing
I loved this; gave me some good ideas.
Tim Weakley
Jul 30, 2015 Tim Weakley rated it liked it
While I enjoyed the organizational aspect of the book the artistic side was, for me, a little too new age. I'm sure it would be a great all around book if you are interested in that aspect as well. I know I will use a lot of his ideas in my attempts at removing some clutter from my spaces.
Jan 22, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: never-finished
I have to take this one back to the library, but I might pick it up again. Rather than focusing merely on organizing or getting rid of clutter, this book addresses the feeling and intention of one's home. Couched in a not-too-heavy shell of new-agey touchy-feely-ness are a lot of practical considerations. What's the first thing you see when you come into your house? Does it make you feel the way you want to feel when coming home? If you want to paint more, is your easel set up prominently in you ...more
Pinar
Jul 12, 2015 Pinar rated it it was ok
Azicik kisisel gelisim soslu ic mimari dekarasyon kitabi. İnsan hikayeleri garip, konuya uydurmaya calismis ama bence uydurma seyler
Jen Bassett
Aug 28, 2016 Jen Bassett rated it it was amazing
Well thought out and more in tune with emotions of home rather than "decorating one's house" or KonMari organization.
Greta
Having attempted and failed to clear my clutter and create my perfect SoulSpace previously, I was hoping this book would be more help than it ultimately was. In the end, it didn't tell me anything new, didn't inspire me to do anything different and it wasn't much help at all. It did tell me lots of stories about other people who managed to revamp their abodes, turn their lives around and throw amazing parties. But that doesn't help me either.
gina
Aug 09, 2012 gina rated it liked it
An interesting blend of self help and decorating and organizing. Useful and inspiring in parts. Not all of it was amazing, but definitely worth giving a once over. It wasn't what I thought it was when I got the book, but turned out okay despite not going down the path I thought it would. I don't think I'd ever go through his stages but there are some good suggestions to pluck out of them.
Holly
Jul 11, 2013 Holly added it
I liked a lot of the ideas of this book. Sometimes, it was a little too much like The Secret or Field of Dreams: if you build it, what yo want will come. I liked the focus on only surrounding oneself with things that one loves, and making conscious decisions about what one should include in one's personal space.
Jessica
May 18, 2013 Jessica rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-for-me, home-love
I started out liking the premise of this book- Xorin seems like part therapist, part interior designer. Then it just got a little too woo woo, and a lot boring. The whole thing also seemed like "rich, first-world problems."
Sharon
Nov 12, 2011 Sharon rated it liked it
Though I expected more glamour and gloss, this work provides a grounded approach to simple home design, using various personal filters and logical stages.
  • Jonathan Adler 100 Ways to Happy Chic Your Life
  • Local Dollars, Local Sense: How to Shift Your Money from Wall Street to Main Street and Achieve Real Prosperity
  • How to Live in Small Spaces: Design, Furnishing, Decoration and Detail for the Smaller Home
  • Embracing the Beloved: Relationship as a Path of Awakening
  • The Ten Things to Do When Your Life Falls Apart: An Emotional and Spiritual Handbook
  • A Perfectly Kept House is the Sign of A Misspent Life
  • Creative Time and Space: Making Room for Making Art
  • Undecorate: The No-Rules Approach to Interior Design
  • Mastering the Art of Quitting: Why It Matters in Life, Love, and Work
  • Take 2: Your Guide to Creating Happy Endings and New Beginnings
  • The Unitarian Universalist Pocket Guide
  • Your Spacious Self: Clear Your Clutter and Discover Who You Are
  • Brave Intuitive Painting-Let Go, Be Bold, Unfold!: Techniques for Uncovering Your Own Unique Painting Style
  • The Perfectly Imperfect Home: How to Decorate and Live Well
  • Threads of Hope
  • The Very Small Home: Japanese Ideas for Living Well in Limited Space
  • First Art: Art Experiences for Toddlers and Twos
  • Aida Mollenkamp's Keys to the Kitchen: The Essential Reference for Becoming a More Accomplished, Adventurous Cook