Start by marking “Mariel of Redwall (Redwall, #4)” as Want to Read:
Mariel of Redwall (Redwall, #4)

Mariel of Redwall (Redwall #4)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  22,359 Ratings  ·  309 Reviews
Heaved off her ship in a pirate raid, Mousemaid Mariel is washed up on the shores of Mossflower. With no idea where she is, or indeed who she is, the young warrior mouse embarks on an unforeseen adventure that will take her to the very heart of Redwall and into the arms of the people who live there.

Mariel of Redwall is a captivating and magical adventure story in the Redw

Mass Market Paperback, 387 pages
Published 1993 by Avon Books (first published 1991)

Amy
Jan 17, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: swashbuckling
I have read this book before, but it still enchants me. This was the first Redwall book that I ever picked up. I had heard that it was about mice, and I didn't want to read it. Then one day, I was soooooo bored that I picked it up and was enthralled, but was reprimanded for reading this one first, and so I took Redwall out from the library. It got better and better. I love these books. :)This is about Mariel and how she hunts down Gabool the Wild, in return for his imprisoning her and her father ...more
Joseph Leskey
Mar 04, 2017 Joseph Leskey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any living body
This was frightfully enjoyable. As of such, according to the logical nature of the good ol' world, I enjoyed it. Actually, I enjoyed it a great deal.

The humor, battles, characters, and adventures were all vigorously delightful. Nevertheless, my favourite part is almost definitely the different dialects of the assorted animals. British English is so much more enjoyable than American English.
Jess Lee
Aug 12, 2012 Jess Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
rip brian jacques. So tough to choose a favorite from the Brian Jacques vault. While I am delighted to discover that there are yet a few books in the Redwall series that I haven't read, it saddens me to know that I'll never get to be a child eagerly awaiting the newest release in an ongoing saga of Martin the warrior and the peace-loving woodland inhabitants of the abbey. I no longer have the letter Mr. Jacques wrote in response to a third grade assignment in which I had to write 5 fanmail lette ...more
Dan Martin
Jul 27, 2007 Dan Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving all these books a 4, because they basically GOT me hooked on fantasy I think. I read all of these in elementary school, and still have fond memories floating around. The rad legendary weapons, (with the channels etched in for blood flow, which i found super hardcore). The foods, the booze, honey mead and apple wine or whatever. Come to think of it, these books might also be a little responsible for my alcoholism, too.
Joanna
Jan 28, 2017 Joanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had reached for the Redwall series as a break from a lot of dark fiction I had been reading recently. I found the experience was like climbing into my old playroom. At first it's warm and homey and all of my friends are there. But then I realize that I've basically played out all my old games and things are more complicated than "hare, good; sea rat, bad". So I will rate it as my childhood self might have and move on to other things.
Samantha Tolleson
I absolutely loved Grub. He was a hilarious little scamp! He made the entire book for me.
Mariel was also quite a pleasing character with plenty of growth and sass.
Mariel
Mar 24, 2011 Mariel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: not hungry people
Recommended to Mariel by: the name Mariel (my own vanity)
Are there any good books about Mariels? I once found an e-book online (didn't read it. The excerpt was bad enough) about a woman with my whole name who sleeps with her boss. That doesn't count. She was pathetic. (I was googling myself. I shouldn't do that. Shit I posted at 17 is still around. I'm worried about e-books soiling my name?)
I wished I'd read this as a kid (it came out in 1990 or 1991? I was still young enough). I would have loved a heroine with my own name. (Instead I had to put up wi
Emily Collins
Mar 08, 2011 Emily Collins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book I will always keep dear to my heart. The day my mom bought this for me was the same day that a certain infamous Brian Jacques was having a book signing not too far away from my middle school. That's right, my copy is signed my the big man himself. I was in sixth grade at the time and I believe that while I was waiting in line, I took a spare piece of paper and created a mouse in a boat (awful quality, but 3D nonetheless). When I got up to the front of the line, he took one look at me a ...more
Kelsey Hanson
Nov 13, 2012 Kelsey Hanson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I've discovered that I tend to go to Brian Jacques books after I read something that I find really dumb (*cough* Divergent series *cough*). Brian Jacques was just an incredibly masterful story teller and his characters are always interesting and you can't help but care about them. I particularly liked the relationship between Dandin and Mariel how they are partners in crime without being romantically linked. I do also admire the fact that Jacques always manages to make the point that violence is ...more
Calvin Edwards
This book was alright.I liked it more near the end.So like the last book.If it wasn't for that
I would've gave it two.You can't put two and a half on Goodreads,so I gave it three stars.
Kelsey
Aug 01, 2007 Kelsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: childrens/pre-teen
Shelves: childrens
i loved this whole series! more magical than babysitters club, but also realistic descriptions and amazing adventure set.
Meaghan Gray
May 07, 2017 Meaghan Gray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first trip to Redwall Abbey and I cannot imagine a more comfortable place. I have heard that this series is "A Song of Ice and Fire with animals" and, with the incessant deaths, including some beloved characters, and lines like "Behind him in the swift-running weed-streaked waters of the ford, the bodies of the three who had made it to the water bounced and bobbed in a grotesque parody of life, though it was only the ripping jaws of the pike shoal which moved them." I can understand ...more
Gale
FEISTY MISS ON A MISSION OF MAYHEM!

As other reviewers have adequately described the engaging plot of this delightful adventure, #4 in the amazing REDWALL series, I will limit my review to a list of the usual, captivating elements of the author's style--which I have noted in this fabulous series.

--Certain animal species have their own (British regional, or slang) accents, which is clever but challenging to read. However, the meanings become more intelligible when the dialogue is read aloud.

--An E
erforscherin
I know they're really childrens' books... but when the news is full of awful stories and that helpless feeling starts creeping in around the edges, I have never yet found a heartier comfort read than the Redwall series. I've recently unearthed some of my old collection and have been rationing it out cautiously: a page or two each night, remembering how carefully I used to make these last when space was limited and books were precious... and heavy.

Mariel of Redwall was actually the first Redwall
Josiah
Nov 03, 2009 Josiah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three and a half stars would most definitely be a strong possibility for this work.
If ever a writer were to be called truly magnificent, I think that Brian Jacques would have to be the one. As he has done again and again over the years without missing a beat, he has once more crafted an astonishing masterpiece in Mariel of Redwall.
Suffused with endlessly exciting adventure, glowing romanticism and breathtakingly gilded language of a rare beauty that shines in only the most wondrous of novels,
Eileen
Jun 22, 2014 Eileen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mariel, Mariel, Mariel. You badass, you excellent hero you. She is great, isn't she? I read this under the desk in middle school and I adored every minute of it.

And she didn't fall in love with Dandin. They were friends, really good friends, best friends who were so close and didn't fall in love. Stories where that happens, I can count on one hand. It was such a delight for my non-romantic can-we-just-get-the-inevitable-kissing-bits-over-with self to have a girl hero being tough and awesome and
Amy
Dec 09, 2010 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I would say really good. The author Brian Jacques is a real good storyteller. The story is about a mouse name Mariel who is thrown out to the sea by an evil sea rat king named Gabool the wild.When Mariel is washed up on a beach, and has no memory of herself or her past. Therefore she calls herself storm and carries around a knotted rope witch she calls Gullwacker when she finds herself in Redwall her memory comes back to her, and she made an oath that she will have revenge on Gabool for killing ...more
Victoria Young
This was given to me for my birthday when I was... 8? and it took me a while to get around to picking it up. But once I did I was genuinely sucked into the world of Redwall and spent a good part of the next four years reading Jacques's series (in a very higgledy-piggledy fashion because I was too impatient to wait for other library users and read them in order).

This installment features a cool butt-kicking heroine (packaged in the form of a tiny mouse) and an old-fashioned pseudo-medieval epic a
Kacey
Jun 02, 2016 Kacey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this 4th book in the Redwall series...the only complaint that I do have is that I felt like the story focused on Mariel quite a bit & less on her father, Joseph & wish that the story had focused on him as well. It just felt like I got a little glimpse of Joseph as a character at the beginning of the book & at the very end of the story, but felt like right smack dab in the middle, it was like he completely disappeared.
This was still a good read for me & am glad t
Nate D
Somewhat perfunctory girl-hero Jacques epic. I think this one was about the Joseph Bell mythos hinted at in the prior books. Also pirates. Started the trend of all subsequent Redwall books by taking place chronologically in between Mossflower and Redwall (or was there one about Martin's pre-Mossflower past? I can't recall anymore, but he had to wander out of somewhere.)
Thomas
Jan 30, 2016 Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Anony-miss a-non-y-miss
See my comment on "The Long Patrol" (One in the Redwall series). It'll give you an idea what I think about the series :)

I loved this one, too - if you have time to kill, and want to enjoy a kid's novel - here you go. you'll thank me :)
Jane Jago
Sep 02, 2016 Jane Jago rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will here admit to being a fan girl. Brian Jacques Redwall books actually float my boat big time. It's just the rightness of them.

The man was brilliant.
Ethan
It was very good with an interesting story line, and it stayed with the background of Redwall.
Another great Redwall tale, this one just as good as the first! I would recommend these books to anyone who loves a good adventure with memorable characters.
Jeremy Gallen
Mar 25, 2017 Jeremy Gallen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On an island called Terramort northwest of Redwall Abbey, the searat Gabool the Wild goes by many titles, including Warlord of All Rodent Corsairs and Captain of Captains. One of the primary protagonists is an amnesiac mousemaid that ultimately adopts the moniker of Storm Gullwhacker, the first because she survived a storm and the last because she fashions a weapon out of a rope with which she repels birds seeking to devour her. A feast is in preparation at the Abbey, and the good animals of the ...more
Guera25
This was closer to a 3.5 in truth, but I just couldn't justify 4 stars when I've given that to better books. The world of Redwall is still whimsical, and some of Jacques' descriptions of the food and landscape border on the lyrical, but a certain sameness is setting in, a rubber-stamp template of characters, motivations, and plot points. If it weren't for the minor abbey denizens and the underlying sweetness and hope of the books, they would be humdrum indeed.
Kaiti Laughlin
Love, love, love! Could not put it down!
Caleb
Mar 23, 2017 Caleb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i liked it
Backslash
Jan 31, 2017 Backslash rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, fiction
Definitely in the 'redwall' pattern. None of the characters were particularly memorable.
Who thinks this series is amazing? 10 34 Feb 18, 2013 08:24PM
  • The Heir of Mistmantle (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #3)
  • Perloo The Bold
  • The Iron Ring
  • In the Grip of Winter (Farthing Wood, #2)
  • The Illusion (Animorphs, #33)
  • Dinotopia: The World Beneath
  • The Outcast (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #8)
  • The Dark Portal (The Deptford Mice, #1)
  • Redwall: The Graphic Novel
  • Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #4)
  • A Wizard Alone (Young Wizards, #6)
Brian Jacques (pronounced 'jakes') was born in Liverpool, England on June 15th, 1939. Along with forty percent of the population of Liverpool, his ancestral roots are in Ireland, County Cork to be exact.

Brian grew up in the area around the Liverpool docks, where he attended St. John's School, an inner city school featuring a playground on its roof. At the age of ten, his very first day at St. Joh
More about Brian Jacques...

Redwall (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Redwall (Redwall, #1)
  • Mossflower (Redwall, #2)
  • Mattimeo (Redwall, #3)
  • Salamandastron (Redwall, #5)
  • Martin the Warrior (Redwall, #6)
  • The Bellmaker (Redwall, #7)
  • Outcast of Redwall (Redwall, #8)
  • Pearls of Lutra (Redwall, #9)
  • The Long Patrol (Redwall, #10)
  • Marlfox (Redwall, #11)

“Wait and wonder when we will return, mouse - then you will really see what a battle is like."
Simeon turned his head in the direction of Graypatch's voice. "Alas, I will never see anything for I am blind; but I can sense a lot. I can feel you are both evil and desperate. They say you have only one eye. I am surprised at you—even a fool with half an eye could see that you will never triumph against good if you are evil.”
0 likes