Start by marking “Old Rose and Silver” as Want to Read:
Old Rose and Silver

Old Rose and Silver

The last hushed chord died into silence, but the woman lingered, dreaming over the keys. Firelight from the end of the room brought red- gold gleams into the dusky softness of her hair and shadowed her profile upon the opposite wall. No answering flash of jewels met the questioning light there was only a mellow glow from the necklace of tourmalines, quaintly set, that lay ...more
Published April 21st 2010 by Ebookslib (first published 1909)

To ask other readers questions about Old Rose and Silver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old Rose and Silver

Elisabeth
Mar 11, 2012 Elisabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the joys of reading old books is that every once in a while you stumble upon a forgotten gem. I was browsing the public-domain treasure-trove of the Kindle store, and picked up Old Rose and Silver (published 1909) because it looked rather interesting from a few reviews. From the very first pages, I knew I was going to love it.

Rose Bernard, at age forty, has a happy and well-filled life living with her beloved aunt, but still feels the vacancy left by never having known true love. It looks
Kathy
Dec 28, 2010 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great old romance! My favorite passage is "The heart of a man is divided into many compartments, mostly isolated. Sometimes there is a door between two of them, or even three may be joined, but usually, each one is complete in itself. Within the different chambers his soul sojourns as it will, since immeasurably beyond woman, he possesses the power of detachment, of intermittence...in the heart of a woman there are few chambers and still fewer doors. Instead of business-like compartments, neat ...more
Ninni
Apr 09, 2016 Ninni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reads-of-2016
I read Myrtle Reed's "Lavender and Old Lace" before "Old Rose and Silver" and I loved it. Therefore, I had high expectations for "Old Rose and Silver" and, in a way, I wasn't disappointed. I loved Madame Francesca and no one can help loving the crazy but earnest Crosby Twins. I appreciated the contrasts between Rose and Isabel, too.

However, Isabel's whole character suddenly dove into a decline when (view spoiler)
Lori
May 27, 2013 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this story of "old" Rose and young Silver. Rose is 40. Allison, our hero, is 30, and Isabel (Silver) is 20. Youth and beauty versus maturity and grace, all watched over by dear Aunt Francesca who is full of kindness and wisdom.
Favorite quotes: "Sometimes I think it's better to feed the soul and let the body fast."
"It all came back, but, mercifully without pain. Were it not for this divine forgetting, few of us could bear life. One can recall only the fact of suffering, never the sufferin
Jane
Dec 29, 2014 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely old romance published in 1911. "Old Rose" is a single woman approaching forty. Rose is lovely and musically gifted, patient and kind. "Silver" (Isabel) is a young lady, flashy and beautiful, but immature and superficial. Allison is a musically gifted young man, caught between his attraction for both women. Myrtle Reed writes in a very musical/lyrical style which is appropriate given the story is centered around music. This edition is beautifully bound in a soft periwinkle blue cover with ...more
Thom Swennes
One of the most popular themes for a work of fiction is love. This premise was a staple in literary works in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century’s. Old Rose and Silver by Myrtle Reed relays the many faces of love. Although love is experienced by almost every human being, it is uniquely different in each case. Rose Bernard, at forty, is well on her way to remaining a confirmed spinster. The love that she had always looked for had always eluded her. When she finally finds this allusive ...more
DancingLawn
Oct 10, 2011 DancingLawn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beautiful-prose
Beautiful prose. I found myself stopping to reread passages that were so breathtakingly stirring that I could not move on. If you are a musician, the vivid description of Rose accompanying Allison on his violin..her experience...stunning, really.

I had first searched for OLD ROSE AND SILVER years ago after it was mentioned by a favorite author, Jan Karon. Then, later, there it was in Kindle format, and free!
Published in 1909. Fiction. About Rose and her aunt, and the neighbors who are part of th
Vanessa L.P.
Oct 22, 2013 Vanessa L.P. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Bought it at a quaint bookshop because of the gorgeous cover (not the one pictured), and read it. The prose in it is absolutely stunning, the insights often quite serious and well thought out, and the characters fairly realistic. My only complaints are the utter idiocy of Isabel and how stupid Allison must have been to fall for him (it seemed forced for the sake of the plot), and the predictability. But what would one expect from a romance?

Overall, beautifully written and a joy
Zeta T.
Mar 23, 2012 Zeta T. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nothing compares to At The Sign Of The Jack O Lantern that I've yet read by Myrtle Reed. Old Rose And Silver did make me laugh at the end though. I started feeling like I was watching a bit of vaudeville that wasn't sure if it wanted to be drama or not. At first there were characters that had some depth but then became two dimensional by the end, though Madame Francesca remained quite the cucumber. Lots of epigrams and philosophical though romantic sayings, which does seem to be a Myrtle Reed sp ...more
Patty Spanjer
Aug 08, 2012 Patty Spanjer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this very much. The language was quite flowery, but reading a book actually written in 1900, instead of a modern interpretation is fascinating to me.
The main characters are two 70 plus year old friends. a forty year old woman, a thirty year old man, and a twenty year old woman, and their love triangle. A lot of humor comes from 20 year twin neighbors.
I found more of her books on Kindle and and now reading another one.
Jeanne M. Wittman
Jun 22, 2016 Jeanne M. Wittman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Heartwarming Story

The storyline was predictable, but it was so very well written I had to read it to the end. On a couple of occasions there was a bit too much detail for my taste, but it didn't overshadow the whole. This was a story of gentility, love, caring, sincerity and honesty that doesn't seem to exist any more...and it's a terrible loss.
Abbi Jane
Apr 28, 2015 Abbi Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Myrtle Reed's turn of the century romances. Though a bit predictable, they are very charming and are easy to pick back up if you haven't had time to read it. I read the whole book on my kindle app on my iPad in a 3 week span. I only read it with my time on the bus from my University's parking lot to campus.
Shannon
Only reason I picked this up was it was in it's first edition, a book bound in a lavender color with silver title font, definitely judged it by it's cover. A little confusing at points, but all in all, a good read. Beautiful descriptions and great for Romance lovers, kind of gives you a taste of the 'Romance Novels' of a completely different generation.
D.E. Colombo
Mar 05, 2015 D.E. Colombo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a light an airy read, in fact it almost feels as though I haven't read it even though I remember much of the plot line. The twins in the books were just too funny. All in all I hated the Isabel and loved Rose. There are a lot of ups and downs but this book is worth reading!
Shauna
Sep 02, 2014 Shauna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Flowery language for an old fashioned romance. Not very satisfying for me.
Susan
May 04, 2013 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun book, and I liked it. It just lacked a tiny bit of something, maybe depth. I'd be interested in other comments.
Maybeth Shirah
This is a gentle romance, first published in 1909. I especially loved the details of the time period and especially how the ladies dressed!
Jen
May 24, 2013 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I like sweet old romances, but this one was a bit too sappy even for me!
Karen Hartshorn
a perfect little comedy, in the Shakespearean, sense of the word. 3 happily made couples after a bunch of nonsense... makes for a fun read sometimes
Judy
May 25, 2015 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fic-historical
MR values small feet on women, roses, the color lavender, musical skill. The heroine in this story is 40 years old! And I was beginning to think that MR thought old age started at 50.
Candy Lee
Candy Lee rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2012
Laura rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2014
Kathy
Kathy rated it liked it
May 14, 2014
Karyn Huenemann
Karyn Huenemann rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2011
Kerstin
Kerstin rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2010
Kara
Kara rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2014
Danielle
Danielle rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2012
Brandy
Brandy rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2014
Peggy Clement
Peggy Clement rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2015
Hannah Peters
Hannah Peters rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Myrtle Reed/Mrs McCullough (1874-1911) was an American author, the daughter of Elizabeth Armstrong Reed and the preacher Hiram von Reed. She sometimes wrote under the pseudonym of Olive Green. She was born in Chicago, where she graduated from the West Division High School. In 1906 she was married to James Sydney McCullough.

She wrote under her own name, but also published a series of cook books und
More about Myrtle Reed...

“The river itself portrays humanity precisely, with its tortuous windings, its accumulation of driftwood, its unsuspected depths, and its crystalline shallows, singing in the Summer sun. Barriers may be built across its path, but they bring only power, as the conquering of an obstacle is always sure to do. Sometimes when the rocks and stone-clad hills loom large ahead, and eternity itself would be needed to carve a passage, there is an easy way around. The discovery of it makes the river sing with gladness and turns the murmurous deeps to living water, bright with ripples and foam.” 9 likes
“The heart's seasons seldom coincide with the calendar. Who among us has not been made desolate beyond all words upon some golden day when the little creatures of the air and meadow were life incarnate, from sheer joy of living? Who among us has not come home, singing, when the streets were almost impassable with snow, or met a friend with a happy, smiling face, in the midst of a pouring rain?” 9 likes