Start by marking “Across Thin Ice (Nordguard, #1)” as Want to Read:
Across Thin Ice (Nordguard, #1)

Across Thin Ice (Nordguard #1)

Pi and her team of sled dogs, part of the Nordguard elite, strike out northwards on a dangerous rescue mission. Bandits, thin ice, and inclement weather they can handle. It's what they don't know about their mission that can kill them...
Paperback, First Paperback Edition, 75 pages
Published June 2011 by Sofawolf Press, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Across Thin Ice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Across Thin Ice

Anna
Jan 19, 2014 Anna rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
‘Across Thin Ice’ is the first issue of ‘Nordguard’ series, and who doesn’t love a good comic book?

Story – 5 stars. I really love the Far North stories, and this one was captivating, with a good old ‘Jack London’ feel about it. A disaster strikes one of the mines in the northern territories, and so a team of sled dogs is sent out for the rescue, toward the greater danger than the heroes can imagine. Throughout the story Pi and her team have to brave bad weather, frozen rivers and ice drifts as w
Alice
Aug 08, 2011 Alice rated it it was amazing
Shelves: huskies, comics
I'd been excited about the Nordguard project for a very long time; mostly, of course, because its subject matter - anthropomorphic sled dogs - is highly relevant to my interests, but also because Tess Garman has allowed interested parties to follow the creative process all the way through on LiveJournal. Thus I'd got hooked to the point of picking a favourite character, and I was at fever pitch when the product at last became available to buy - more than ready to put my money on the table.

The co
Trent
Jul 16, 2011 Trent rated it really liked it
I was quite literally waiting for this book for three years, and I wasn't disappointed.
The artwork is exquisite, hand-drawn with delicate detail in an anthropomorphic style. There is absolutely no way to describe it's beauty except to direct you to the book's development site to check out the gallery.

The story itself is thin and passes quickly, but that doesn't detract from the value of the story because it is only the first part in the series. Characters are well established, and the story has
Colton
Feb 26, 2014 Colton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is my favorite graphic novel of all time. The art is absolutely gorgeous, the characters engaging, and setting so real, you almost can't believe it didn't actually happen.

If I had to give this book any sort of flaw, it would be that the story was fast paced and too short. This really is not a 'flaw' so much as it is me wishing there were more and eagerly awaiting book two.

Best characters, in order:

Nickel.
Pi.
London.
McKay
Geri/Freki
Amber
Aug 30, 2013 Amber rated it it was amazing
First off the artwork in this book is exquisite! While it doesn't translate entirely well into print form you can still see the incredible amount of work and the countless hours that were out into creating this. The characters are diverse, interesting to watch, well thought out and great to read about.

While this book is just the start it is a great plot and one that definitely held my attention. Highly recommended to all readers even if they have never read anthropomorphic literature before.
David
Apr 04, 2012 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
On the Unsheathed Podcast, Teagen Gavet explained that ~40 hours of work went into each page. The character and scenery art a the most spectacular I've ever seen in a GN, and of course, I love anthro characters. Book One is slow paced, but then again, I like a slow paced book one. I'm certain I'll see this series through to the end
Jillian Kitchen
Dec 25, 2015 Jillian Kitchen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An exceptionally well written and extraordinarily illustrated example of the furry comic. Any one single panel of this book could be framed individually as a work of art, and the story itself is a solid crime-mystery variety; however the story suffers from some pretty crippling pacing issues and has long periods of, well, nothing.
Richard
Apr 23, 2012 Richard rated it really liked it
Check out Episode 16 of ComicPop Library: Spaces for the Ummms, for a review of this book. You can find the podcast on our website www.comicpoplibrary.com or find us on iTunes. You can also "Like" us on Facebook.
Jeffrey
Mar 24, 2014 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing
Across Thin Ice delights me. Great story. Guns. Wonderfully anthropomorphic characters (think Redwall but better). Did I mention guns? All this and in one of the most beautifully drawn graphic novels I have ever read. I will be looking for the next one to come out.
Dax
Oct 19, 2012 Dax rated it really liked it
Very detail good artwork. Good storey, and good characters. My only issue are the characters legs. The feet on them are more like that of actual animals and it just looks kind of awkward.
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2013
Ellen
Ellen rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2014
Ana
Ana rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2011
Jonathan J. providence
Jonathan J. providence rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2013
Aryeh
Aryeh rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2011
Marianne
Marianne rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2011
Andrew Murphy
Andrew Murphy rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2015
Evan
Jul 27, 2014 Evan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story is good, but it really takes a back seat to the art.
Darcia
Darcia rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2012
Pintocat
Pintocat rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2014
Demensa
Demensa rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2016
Payne010
Payne010 rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2012
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2015
Meg
Meg rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2013
Robert Phillips
Robert Phillips rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2014
Steven
Steven rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2013
Amelia Curtis
Amelia Curtis rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2014
Altivo Overo
Altivo Overo rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2013
Seanwolf
Seanwolf rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2014