Start by marking “Across Thin Ice (Nordguard, #1)” as Want to Read:
Across Thin Ice (Nordguard, #1)

Across Thin Ice (Nordguard #1)

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Pi and her team of sled dogs, part of the Nordguard elite, strike out northwards on a dangerous rescue mission. Bandits, thin ice, and inclement weather they can handle. It's what they don't know about their mission that can kill them...
Paperback, First Paperback Edition, 75 pages
Published June 2011 by Sofawolf Press, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Across Thin Ice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Across Thin Ice

Watership Down by Richard AdamsRedwall by Brian JacquesAnimal Farm by George OrwellMrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'BrienThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Best Anthropomorphic Animal Books
50th out of 233 books — 153 voters
Maus by Art SpiegelmanMouse Guard by David PetersenMaus, II by Art SpiegelmanQuelque part entre les ombres by Juan Díaz CanalesArctic Nation by Juan Díaz Canales
Anthropomorphic Animal ComicBooks
45th out of 119 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Colton
This is my favorite graphic novel of all time. The art is absolutely gorgeous, the characters engaging, and setting so real, you almost can't believe it didn't actually happen.

If I had to give this book any sort of flaw, it would be that the story was fast paced and too short. This really is not a 'flaw' so much as it is me wishing there were more and eagerly awaiting book two.

Best characters, in order:

Nickel.
Pi.
London.
McKay
Geri/Freki
Alice
I'd been excited about the Nordguard project for a very long time; mostly, of course, because its subject matter - anthropomorphic sled dogs - is highly relevant to my interests, but also because Tess Garman has allowed interested parties to follow the creative process all the way through on LiveJournal. Thus I'd got hooked to the point of picking a favourite character, and I was at fever pitch when the product at last became available to buy - more than ready to put my money on the table.

The co
Trent
I was quite literally waiting for this book for three years, and I wasn't disappointed.
The artwork is exquisite, hand-drawn with delicate detail in an anthropomorphic style. There is absolutely no way to describe it's beauty except to direct you to the book's development site to check out the gallery.

The story itself is thin and passes quickly, but that doesn't detract from the value of the story because it is only the first part in the series. Characters are well established, and the story has
Evan
The story is good, but it really takes a back seat to the art.
Amber
First off the artwork in this book is exquisite! While it doesn't translate entirely well into print form you can still see the incredible amount of work and the countless hours that were out into creating this. The characters are diverse, interesting to watch, well thought out and great to read about.

While this book is just the start it is a great plot and one that definitely held my attention. Highly recommended to all readers even if they have never read anthropomorphic literature before.
Jeffrey
Across Thin Ice delights me. Great story. Guns. Wonderfully anthropomorphic characters (think Redwall but better). Did I mention guns? All this and in one of the most beautifully drawn graphic novels I have ever read. I will be looking for the next one to come out.
David
On the Unsheathed Podcast, Teagen Gavet explained that ~40 hours of work went into each page. The character and scenery art a the most spectacular I've ever seen in a GN, and of course, I love anthro characters. Book One is slow paced, but then again, I like a slow paced book one. I'm certain I'll see this series through to the end
Richard
Check out Episode 16 of ComicPop Library: Spaces for the Ummms, for a review of this book. You can find the podcast on our website www.comicpoplibrary.com or find us on iTunes. You can also "Like" us on Facebook.
Andrew
Very detail good artwork. Good storey, and good characters. My only issue are the characters legs. The feet on them are more like that of actual animals and it just looks kind of awkward.
Tina Olah
Great comic with a unique story, also loved the painted-style artwork. Hoping for a sequel!
headcrabzombie
headcrabzombie marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Nalan Hikari
Nalan Hikari marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Rin Liddel
Rin Liddel marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Peyami Kurtaran
Peyami Kurtaran marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Hannah Gibson
Hannah Gibson marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Kylie
Kylie marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Stef
Stef marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Vitor
Vitor marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
CrimsonFlamez
CrimsonFlamez marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Andrea Leon
Andrea Leon marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014