Start by marking “Programming Python” as Want to Read:
Programming Python
Preview

Programming Python

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  549 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Completely revised and improved, the second edition of Programming Python is an excellent compendium of material geared toward the more knowledgeable Python developer. It includes dozens of reusable scripts for common scripting tasks, and is one of the best available sources of information for this popular object-oriented scripting language.

In over 1,200 pages of material

Paperback, 4th Edition, 1632 pages
Published January 10th 2011 by O'Reilly Media (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Programming Python, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Programming Python

Charles
This book sits on the shelf next to my desk at the office. The answer to just about any python question resides within, along with many code examples on the cd. A must have for anyone who programs in python.
Louis
I've been using Python since I was a graduate student. While I have known of earlier versions of this tome it had never occurred to me to go through this. Because my focus in computer programming is not in the systems administration or IT related skills like most of O'Reilly Press customers seem to be. My interest is in scientific programming and data analysis. Now that I have had some time and occasion to use this, I find that the content is indeed weighted at an audience whose function is comp ...more
Rakesh Gopal
One of the best books I've read on Python.
Will
What a disappointment. A very long, tedious and random collection of python programming examples with no rhyme or reason whatsoever. I think they were trying out a new idea for an authoritative language book which didn't end up panning out at all. A big pile of wasted paper.
Dave Peticolas

This is a fairly good introduction to the Python programming language. Its organization, however, makes it hard to use when you just want to refresh your memory about a particular detail you have forgotten.

Bill
O'Reilly is usually so good, but I found this book disappointing. It's too long and scattershot, and I end up never looking at it. I much prefer the Python Essential Reference by Beazley. ...more
Matt

Books like this are not generally read straight through, but are more like reference works for me - I set them as "read" and rate them on the utility they provide to me v
Clinton
Puts the word "verbose" to shame. I've driven cars smaller than this book! Nonetheless, it provide a thorough introduction—and then some—into the standard Python library.
Kannan Kalidasan
This would be the best reference book for anytime to understand the concepts with examples. explain in clear manner
Osama Jamil
Must Read book specially for System Administrators using Python scripts
I learned a lot from this book
Vietson
Its not bad but it isn't great either. Most of these books spend way too much time on trival things.
Daniel Buch
Jun 12, 2007 Daniel Buch rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: constrictors
Shelves: skience
>>> I CAN HAS SYS
>>> IS 'BONK' IN SYS.ARGV?
I SAW UR 'BONK'
>>> AWSOMTHX()
KTHXBYE
Kyle
I feel like this is a printed copy of the man pages.
Sunny
Python (en fran
Yuvaraja
Yuvaraja marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Henrique
Henrique marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Tanja
Tanja added it
Apr 15, 2015
Tyson Wolker
Tyson Wolker marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Sergey
Sergey marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Israel Nava
Israel Nava marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
  • Perl Cookbook, Second Edition
  • Beginning Python: From Novice to Professional
  • Programming PHP
  • Linux Kernel Development
  • Python Essential Reference (Developer's Library)
  • Regular Expressions Cookbook
  • jQuery: Novice to Ninja
  • sed & awk
  • Version Control with Git

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Mark Lutz is the world leader in Python training, the author of Python's earliest and best-selling texts, and a pioneering figure in the Python community.

Mark is the author of the popular O'Reilly books Programming Python, Python Pocket Reference, and Learning Python, all currently in 4th Editions. He has been using and promoting Python since 1992, started writing Python books in 1995, and began t
More about Mark Lutz...
Learning Python Python Pocket Reference Unpoverty: Rich Lessons from the Working Poor What Is Wrong with People?! Python kurz & gut