Start by marking “10 People Every Christian Should Know” as Want to Read:
10 People Every Christian Should Know

10 People Every Christian Should Know

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  234 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Beloved author Warren W. Wiersbe gives you a glimpse into the lives fascinating and faithful believers whose struggles and triumphs will inspire and encourage you along life's uncertain journey.
Published September 1st 2011 by Baker Books

To ask other readers questions about 10 People Every Christian Should Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 10 People Every Christian Should Know

Richard
I downloaded this because it happened to be free. It is a "best of" version of a longer book which I should probably have read instead. In some respects it is a Protestant collection of saints' lives. Except that in some respects it isn't.

It gives a fascinating look into the lives of some sincere, often seemingly unorthodox Christians filled with missionary zeal. Some of these figures are familiar to me, but many are not. Until reading this, I knew little of Henry, Lightfoot, Edwards, Newman an
Lillie
Weirsbe profiles ten great evangelicals--preachers, missionaries, and more. While I have at least a passing acquaintance with most of the individuals covered, I was introduced to Amy Carmichael, who served as a missionary to India for more than fifty years. I also learned things I didn't know about the people I was familiar with. For example,, Oswald Chambers didn't write any of the books attributed to him. His wife, a stenographer, took down all his sermons and messages during his lifetime. Aft ...more
Janelle
10 People Every Christian Should Know is basically a list of people Wiersbe recommends investigating because of their contribution to the Christian faith. Occasionally Wiersbe wanders into the realm of the interesting, but for the most part this volume is incredibly dry and dull. Wiersbe is certainly passionate about his subject, and I'm sure the people he discusses are worthy of being included in this volume, but for the most part I felt like I was listening to a person drone on about his [inse ...more
Jeff Whittum
I don't like to rate books poorly - especially if I found myself enjoying it at times...even if only a little bit. But this book just could have been so much better than it was both in content and style.

No two people would pick the same 10 for the list of people every Christians should know. But I have to believe that almost without exception there are names in this list that would not appear in anyone else's list. (specifics escape me right now...that's just how forgettable those chapters were)
Tristan
A good, very brief introduction to the lives of 10 people, mostly Christian preachers, who have much to offer through their writings. It includes a reading list to get started on any or all of the authors.

I was not terribly impressed with the list - there is a strong theological bent towards the Charismatic camp, to the exclusion of others, but it is good nonetheless, and I'm sure each of the people have much to offer a Christian.

However, I'm still not convinced I should spend my time reading th
Jimmy
Apr 20, 2012 Jimmy added it
This is the first time I have ever read anything by Warren Wiersbe, but I have always seen his devotional books in the library and used book store, even though I must confess I do not know much about him. Ironically, in a book about other Christians I've also learn something about the author, that he was a former pastor of Moody Memorial church! In this work (which is an adaptation of a larger work on more Christians we should know), the author gives a short introduction to ten individuals every ...more
Bob Allen
Not what I expected. This would have been much better if it had been written in the style of Metaxas' "7 Men". Instead, much of it read like, "This was a great person. You should read more about him/her. For more information, read these books." I don't mind book recommendations — love them, in fact — but use the last few paragraphs of a biographical sketch to share those and why they're good. Help us to get to know the people who you think are important. Individuals were treated inconsistently — ...more
Malia
Surprised at some negative reviews for this book (after having read it myself and really liked it), I reflected on why a series of short biographies would not be intriguing to other Christian readers. I came to the unfortunate conclusion that many believers prefer flashy, public, and radical leaders. I do not mean to convey that all present preachers are of this category, but too many do rely on fame and numbers rather than a quiet, humble faith. Those who disliked this book desired to read more ...more
Clark Goble
This shortened version of Wiersbe’s book 50 People Every Christian Should Know is available on the Kindle for under three dollars and is well worth the price. Weirsbe offers insight into the lives of ten pretty interesting Christians. including; Matthew Henry, Jonathon Edwards, A.W. Tozer, John Henry Newman, J.B. Lightfoot, J. Hudson Taylor, Charles, Spurgeon, Amy Carmichael, and Oswald Chambers.

Of the ten offerings I was somewhat familiar with all but two, however, it was the profile that I kne
Louis Fritz v
Warren Wiersbe presents ten people of the class four centuries to whom much in the evolution of the church is warranted. Such individuals for the most part are those who may not be popular to the modern believer today (some I believe still know the names Oswald Chambers, AW Tozer, or Matthew Henry). Yet, his text does more than provide these names and their assistance in the growth of the church. It also provides the texts which these individuals have inspired or written themselves. Their range ...more
Daniel
A worthy introduction to 10 key figures in somewhat recent Christian history: Matthew Henry, Jonathan Edwards, John Henry Newman, J. B. Lightfoot, J. Hudson Taylor, Charles H. Spurgeon, Dwight L. Moody, Amy Carmichael, Oswald Chambers, and A.W. Tozer. I enjoyed the brief introductions to each of these chapters. In a large part, these chapters function as a springboard with Wiersbe pointing the reader to the writings of these figures, as well as key biographies and supplemental reading - all of w ...more
Michelle
I was looking for a short book before I went back to some heavier books I am reading and this one was a good choice. The short stories of ten influential people Christian circles was encouraging and challenging. I knew some of the names and not others but each of the chapters held my attention and interest. In addition, there is a list of recommended reading that will take you deeper with each individual. I'm glad I "took a break" with this rich resource!
Tammy
If you are like me and cannot control your reading list, do not read this book. Contains ten brief chapters of major Christian figures within the last few centuries. Also contains FAR too many book recommendations for me to give this to fellow reading addicts in good conscience. A good starting point for someone interested Christian history.
Sarah Wright
Not a book that I would typically read, but I still kind of enjoyed it.

I only knew of one of the people in this book...D.L. Moody.

The only gripe that I have with this book is that the author mentions that the reader should read other books on these people for various reasons and that's how he leaves it.

Kind of like me telling someone that they should read a book, but not really explaining why.

The author kept referring to other books which was kind of a turn-off.

Again, it'd be like me talking ab
Joshua Foote
Great saints

Book was very short 10 great people of the faith their history I had known most of them but made sure I read Moody and Tozer which were very well written and researched
Barbara
This book was interesting enough for me to finish it and feel like I enjoyed it, but not enough to motivate me to go get the larger book that contains 50 mini-biographies. Many of the essays were good, and the information valuable, but I felt like they were too short, and too much of the space was taken up in listing books you could read in order to get more information. This seemed wasted, because these suggested books were also listed in an appendix, so the space in each article could have per ...more
James Rasbeary
I am confused by several of the selections. I can't imagine why, of all the people that Christians should know - including great missionaries, pastors and evangelists - that such men as Catholic John Newman or JB Lightfoot, coworker of Wescott and Hort, should make the list. Or Amy Carmichael, for that matter. I haven't read the longer, 50 people version of the book, but I have to believe that David Livingstone or Adonirum Judson would have been better selections.
The other chapters were well wri
Denise
Brief chapters on important Christians. Some are better written and more interesting than others. Contains brief biographical sketches, not extensive biographies. Writer does sometimes get bogged down in describing literary works, but overall, I found this interesting. For those wanting to learn more, the author provides useful information on what to read. My personal favorites were the chapters on Hudson Taylor, Amy Carmichael, and D.L. Moody, but I enjoyed learning about the others too. Worthw ...more
Jeff Stiles
A good set of biographical sketches. What I liked most about this book was that Wiersbe gives you other titles for further reading.
Lisa Bishop
How inspiring to glimpse portions of the saints who lived out their lives for the glory of God. Warren Wiersbe has spent countless hours compiling short stories of people from the past whose quality lives can easily inspire us today. Written of Jonathan Edwards: "He saw the mind and heart of God in creation; everything in nature revealed to him something about God." Thank you Mr. Wiersbe. I heartily agree with a man who loved my God in the early 1700's.
Rick
A very brief introduction to ten important people who have impacted the Christian faith. Some chapters were quite concise, remindimg me more of a Wikipedia article. All material was previously published either in magazines or as parts of other books. I was a bit surprised that there was only one woman among the ten, and all were white... diversity evidently was not a factor in choosing subjects.
Isaiah Jesch
A quick summary of 10 important and interesting Christians that we ought to be familiar with today. This books seems to be distilled version of his longer work that mentions 50 people. I appreciate how he cites many works of the person or about the person for us to learn more. It's a good introduction to these people, but one would need to read more to truly know them.
Elizabeth Johnson
Interesting overviews of 10 notable Christians, although the selection of these 10 seemed a little arbitrary. I'd recommend reading the full work instead - 50 People Every Christian Should Know.
Karla
Concise book briefly outlining 10 people who impacted Christianity marvelously. The author injects his own opinions and preferences frequently and the book would be better with "just the facts" since it is an overview of ten lives. It is a good book for those who have little knowledge of the history and some movements within Christianity.
Jason Jaszemski
I really enjoyed this one. It was a good vacation read. It gave me some quick thumbnail sketches on some excellent Christians along with plenty of references to follow if I want to learn more. I had only heard of about half the folks in this book, so it was very educational.
Lisa
The content was okay, but there were so many book recommendations for each person that it greatly affected the quality of the stories in my opinion. I'd rather know what the books said about the person and see them listed at the end of the book than waste space in the story.
Brianna Olesh
This book goes briefly into the ministries of 10 missionaries/pastors. The author basically gives glimpses into their lives and offers title of other literature if one wanted to read more on these 10. Overall a good jumping stone.
Eric Durso
An abridged version of his "Walking with the Giants." Not much depth, but good and interesting anecdotes for kindle reading. I also think he's a little too generous with some guys. Read this almost entirely on my iPhone.
Jewell
I liked this book but I was surprised it was more a recommendation for the 10 people's written works and less about their life. It was good to whet your appetite though and made me want to read some of these peoples' works.
Jayson
A wonderful light introduction to 10 Christian characters. I love Wiersbe's graciousness in dealing with those whom he would disagree. He is honest with their weaknesses yet kind and optimistic with a pastor's heart.
  • Abortion: A Rational Look At An Emotional Issue
  • Coffee Shop Conversations: Making the Most of Spiritual Small Talk
  • The Gospel Focus of Charles Spurgeon (A Long Line of Godly Men Profile)
  • John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine & Doxology
  • Handle with Prayer: Unwrap the Source of God's Strength for Living
  • The Poetic Wonder of Isaac Watts (A Long Line of Godly Men Profiles)
  • Sifted: God's Scandalous Response to Satan's Outrageous Demand
  • Secondhand Jesus: Trading Rumors of God for a Firsthand Faith
  • Church Zero: Raising 1st Century Churches out of the Ashes of the 21st Century Church
  • Speaking of Jesus: The Art of Not-Evangelism
  • Jesus: The Only Way to God: Must You Hear the Gospel to Be Saved?
  • Transforming Prayer
  • Found: God's Will
  • Blood Work: How the Blood of Christ Accomplishes Our Salvation
  • Shame Interrupted: How God Lifts the Pain of Worthlessness and Rejection
  • A Quest For More: Living For Something Bigger than You
  • Messy Church: A Multigenerational Mission for God's Family
Warren W. Wiersbe, former pastor of the Moody Church and general director of Back to the Bible, has traveled widely as a Bible teacher and conference speaker. Because of his encouragement to those in ministry, Dr. Wiersbe is often referred to as 'the pastor's pastor.' He has ministered in churches and conferences throughout the United States as well as in Canada, Central and South America, and Eur ...more
More about Warren W. Wiersbe...
The Strategy of Satan: How to Detect and Defeat Him 50 People Every Christian Should Know: Learning from Spiritual Giants of the Faith On Being a Servant of God Be Mature (James): Growing Up in Christ Be Joyful (Philippians): Even When Things Go Wrong, You Can Have Joy