Start by marking “10 People Every Christian Should Know” as Want to Read:
10 People Every Christian Should Know

10 People Every Christian Should Know

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  398 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Beloved author Warren W. Wiersbe gives you a glimpse into the lives fascinating and faithful believers whose struggles and triumphs will inspire and encourage you along life's uncertain journey.
Published September 1st 2011 by Baker Books

To ask other readers questions about 10 People Every Christian Should Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 10 People Every Christian Should Know

Richard
I downloaded this because it happened to be free. It is a "best of" version of a longer book which I should probably have read instead. In some respects it is a Protestant collection of saints' lives. Except that in some respects it isn't.

It gives a fascinating look into the lives of some sincere, often seemingly unorthodox Christians filled with missionary zeal. Some of these figures are familiar to me, but many are not. Until reading this, I knew little of Henry, Lightfoot, Edwards, Newman an
Lillie
Weirsbe profiles ten great evangelicals--preachers, missionaries, and more. While I have at least a passing acquaintance with most of the individuals covered, I was introduced to Amy Carmichael, who served as a missionary to India for more than fifty years. I also learned things I didn't know about the people I was familiar with. For example,, Oswald Chambers didn't write any of the books attributed to him. His wife, a stenographer, took down all his sermons and messages during his lifetime. Aft ...more
Janelle
10 People Every Christian Should Know is basically a list of people Wiersbe recommends investigating because of their contribution to the Christian faith. Occasionally Wiersbe wanders into the realm of the interesting, but for the most part this volume is incredibly dry and dull. Wiersbe is certainly passionate about his subject, and I'm sure the people he discusses are worthy of being included in this volume, but for the most part I felt like I was listening to a person drone on about his [inse ...more
Jeff Whittum
I don't like to rate books poorly - especially if I found myself enjoying it at times...even if only a little bit. But this book just could have been so much better than it was both in content and style.

No two people would pick the same 10 for the list of people every Christians should know. But I have to believe that almost without exception there are names in this list that would not appear in anyone else's list. (specifics escape me right now...that's just how forgettable those chapters were)
Tristan
Apr 14, 2014 Tristan rated it liked it
A good, very brief introduction to the lives of 10 people, mostly Christian preachers, who have much to offer through their writings. It includes a reading list to get started on any or all of the authors.

I was not terribly impressed with the list - there is a strong theological bent towards the Charismatic camp, to the exclusion of others, but it is good nonetheless, and I'm sure each of the people have much to offer a Christian.

However, I'm still not convinced I should spend my time reading th
Jimmy
Apr 20, 2012 Jimmy added it
This is the first time I have ever read anything by Warren Wiersbe, but I have always seen his devotional books in the library and used book store, even though I must confess I do not know much about him. Ironically, in a book about other Christians I've also learn something about the author, that he was a former pastor of Moody Memorial church! In this work (which is an adaptation of a larger work on more Christians we should know), the author gives a short introduction to ten individuals every ...more
Bob Allen
Not what I expected. This would have been much better if it had been written in the style of Metaxas' "7 Men". Instead, much of it read like, "This was a great person. You should read more about him/her. For more information, read these books." I don't mind book recommendations — love them, in fact — but use the last few paragraphs of a biographical sketch to share those and why they're good. Help us to get to know the people who you think are important. Individuals were treated inconsistently — ...more
Malia
Jun 15, 2012 Malia rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, nonfiction
Surprised at some negative reviews for this book (after having read it myself and really liked it), I reflected on why a series of short biographies would not be intriguing to other Christian readers. I came to the unfortunate conclusion that many believers prefer flashy, public, and radical leaders. I do not mean to convey that all present preachers are of this category, but too many do rely on fame and numbers rather than a quiet, humble faith. Those who disliked this book desired to read more ...more
Clark Goble
Jul 05, 2012 Clark Goble rated it liked it
This shortened version of Wiersbe’s book 50 People Every Christian Should Know is available on the Kindle for under three dollars and is well worth the price. Weirsbe offers insight into the lives of ten pretty interesting Christians. including; Matthew Henry, Jonathon Edwards, A.W. Tozer, John Henry Newman, J.B. Lightfoot, J. Hudson Taylor, Charles, Spurgeon, Amy Carmichael, and Oswald Chambers.

Of the ten offerings I was somewhat familiar with all but two, however, it was the profile that I kne
Louis Fritz v
Jun 13, 2013 Louis Fritz v rated it really liked it
Warren Wiersbe presents ten people of the class four centuries to whom much in the evolution of the church is warranted. Such individuals for the most part are those who may not be popular to the modern believer today (some I believe still know the names Oswald Chambers, AW Tozer, or Matthew Henry). Yet, his text does more than provide these names and their assistance in the growth of the church. It also provides the texts which these individuals have inspired or written themselves. Their range ...more
Daniel
Jun 03, 2013 Daniel rated it liked it
A worthy introduction to 10 key figures in somewhat recent Christian history: Matthew Henry, Jonathan Edwards, John Henry Newman, J. B. Lightfoot, J. Hudson Taylor, Charles H. Spurgeon, Dwight L. Moody, Amy Carmichael, Oswald Chambers, and A.W. Tozer. I enjoyed the brief introductions to each of these chapters. In a large part, these chapters function as a springboard with Wiersbe pointing the reader to the writings of these figures, as well as key biographies and supplemental reading - all of w ...more
Michelle
Oct 16, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it
I was looking for a short book before I went back to some heavier books I am reading and this one was a good choice. The short stories of ten influential people Christian circles was encouraging and challenging. I knew some of the names and not others but each of the chapters held my attention and interest. In addition, there is a list of recommended reading that will take you deeper with each individual. I'm glad I "took a break" with this rich resource!
Tammy
Apr 11, 2014 Tammy rated it liked it
If you are like me and cannot control your reading list, do not read this book. Contains ten brief chapters of major Christian figures within the last few centuries. Also contains FAR too many book recommendations for me to give this to fellow reading addicts in good conscience. A good starting point for someone interested Christian history.
Anne Gooch
Nov 08, 2015 Anne Gooch rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this e-book about these 10 Christian people. Some may not like this book because it gave a lot of facts but for someone like me that loves to read bio's then this would be a book you would want to pick up. Reading these short stories (I would read one a night) wants me to do more research on each of these people.
Jerry Blackerby
Jan 12, 2015 Jerry Blackerby rated it really liked it
Interesting information. There were two or three I either had never heard of or knew hardly anything about. Three or four I was real familiar with and had admired for most of my life. The others I just barely knew of. I was amazed with some of the information and am looking to obtain sermons by some of these people. I want to know more.
Sarah Wright
Feb 08, 2012 Sarah Wright rated it liked it
Not a book that I would typically read, but I still kind of enjoyed it.

I only knew of one of the people in this book...D.L. Moody.

The only gripe that I have with this book is that the author mentions that the reader should read other books on these people for various reasons and that's how he leaves it.

Kind of like me telling someone that they should read a book, but not really explaining why.

The author kept referring to other books which was kind of a turn-off.

Again, it'd be like me talking ab
Rodney Holloman
Mar 05, 2015 Rodney Holloman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of Wiersbe's Best

I truly don't know what is more enjoyable, reading of the followers of Christ or reading them via the pen of Dr. Wiersbe. Great little book that would profit every believer.
Joshua Foote
Oct 07, 2014 Joshua Foote rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great saints

Book was very short 10 great people of the faith their history I had known most of them but made sure I read Moody and Tozer which were very well written and researched
Joe
Jul 02, 2015 Joe rated it liked it
Shelves: theology
It was good, a solid three star rating for me. Keep in mind I downloaded it for free. I received some insights on some of these folks, but those were superficial and rushed. This is to be expected based upon the length, so I'm not disappointed.

I'll probably look deeper into the life and ministry of a few of the people mentioned. I'm considering a deeper must-know-Christian survey like Metaxas's seven men book.

I did enjoy the quotes and the bibliography of the authors. Some nuggets and rabbit hol
Ashley
Mar 29, 2016 Ashley added it
If you are in seminary and need more reference material, this is the book for you. It honestly reads like an opinionated thesis minus the footnotes. That being said, it wasn't boring. Just not a tool for the every day Christian.
Gerald
Mar 21, 2015 Gerald rated it liked it
I am a little disappointed with this book. I was hoping to be challenged by the lifes of those discussed in the book but I was not, perhaps because of the author's style of writing.
I will not recommend this book. For anybody who wishes to study about Christian fathers that lived in the past and the lasting impressions they left on the earth, you are better off with GOD GENERALS SERIES by Robert Liardon.
Barbara
This book was interesting enough for me to finish it and feel like I enjoyed it, but not enough to motivate me to go get the larger book that contains 50 mini-biographies. Many of the essays were good, and the information valuable, but I felt like they were too short, and too much of the space was taken up in listing books you could read in order to get more information. This seemed wasted, because these suggested books were also listed in an appendix, so the space in each article could have per ...more
Kaylee
Jul 02, 2015 Kaylee rated it it was amazing
A great short biography resource for 10 faithful men and women. This is a great source for future in-depth reading with resource lists for each person.
Peni
Feb 14, 2016 Peni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Evangelical Christians
Shelves: non-fiction
An interesting documentary of famous and influential individuals. These Ten Christians were great speakers and lived their lives by their convictions despite popular trends and even legalities at times.

From what I read, I would concur that these men and women were greatly influential especially to the non Catholics constituants. They pointed out many of the problems of the day and preached thusly. Their passion for Christ is evident in all they did and stood for.

This is a excellent resource for
Christy
I found the writings of these people very encyclopedia like. It just wasn't enjoyable for me.
James Rasbeary
Jul 03, 2013 James Rasbeary rated it liked it
I am confused by several of the selections. I can't imagine why, of all the people that Christians should know - including great missionaries, pastors and evangelists - that such men as Catholic John Newman or JB Lightfoot, coworker of Wescott and Hort, should make the list. Or Amy Carmichael, for that matter. I haven't read the longer, 50 people version of the book, but I have to believe that David Livingstone or Adonirum Judson would have been better selections.
The other chapters were well wri
Dan
Jan 03, 2015 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't finished the book yet, but I wonder why he included a few of those who were included. I'm sure I would not have picked the same 10 people. Still, I am inspired by the short biographies of most of the 10.
Denise
Brief chapters on important Christians. Some are better written and more interesting than others. Contains brief biographical sketches, not extensive biographies. Writer does sometimes get bogged down in describing literary works, but overall, I found this interesting. For those wanting to learn more, the author provides useful information on what to read. My personal favorites were the chapters on Hudson Taylor, Amy Carmichael, and D.L. Moody, but I enjoyed learning about the others too. Worthw ...more
Jeff Stiles
Nov 24, 2014 Jeff Stiles rated it really liked it
A good set of biographical sketches. What I liked most about this book was that Wiersbe gives you other titles for further reading.
Lisa Bishop
Jun 03, 2012 Lisa Bishop rated it really liked it
Shelves:
How inspiring to glimpse portions of the saints who lived out their lives for the glory of God. Warren Wiersbe has spent countless hours compiling short stories of people from the past whose quality lives can easily inspire us today. Written of Jonathan Edwards: "He saw the mind and heart of God in creation; everything in nature revealed to him something about God." Thank you Mr. Wiersbe. I heartily agree with a man who loved my God in the early 1700's.
  • Abortion: A Rational Look At An Emotional Issue
  • Blood Work: How the Blood of Christ Accomplishes Our Salvation
  • John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine & Doxology
  • Church Zero: Raising 1st Century Churches out of the Ashes of the 21st Century Church
  • The Gospel Focus of Charles Spurgeon (A Long Line of Godly Men Profile)
  • A Quest For More: Living For Something Bigger than You
  • The 40 Most Influential Christians . . . Who Shaped What We Believe Today
  • The World-Tilting Gospel: Embracing a Biblical Worldview & Hanging on Tight
  • Handle with Prayer: Unwrap the Source of God's Strength for Living
  • Divine Design: God's Complementary Roles for Men and Women
  • Knowing the Truth About Jesus the Messiah (Defenders Series)
  • John Calvin: And His Passion for the Majesty of God
  • The Poetic Wonder of Isaac Watts (A Long Line of Godly Men Profiles)
  • Vertical Church: What Every Heart Longs for. What Every Church Can Be.
  • Getting to No: How to Break a Stubborn Habit
  • Coffee Shop Conversations: Making the Most of Spiritual Small Talk
Warren W. Wiersbe, former pastor of the Moody Church and general director of Back to the Bible, has traveled widely as a Bible teacher and conference speaker. Because of his encouragement to those in ministry, Dr. Wiersbe is often referred to as 'the pastor's pastor.' He has ministered in churches and conferences throughout the United States as well as in Canada, Central and South America, and Eur ...more
More about Warren W. Wiersbe...

“Is your Christian experience a set of definitions, a list of orthodox doctrines, or a living relationship with God?” 2 likes
“Moody’s success lay in his tremendous burden for the lost and a willingness to do whatever God asked of him. The life and ministry of this humble man of God is an example to us of what the Lord can do in the life of an ordinary person who is totally yielded to him.” 0 likes