Start by marking “Our Bodies, Ourselves” as Want to Read:
Our Bodies, Ourselves

Our Bodies, Ourselves

4.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,264 Ratings  ·  158 Reviews
Hailed by The New York Times as a “feminist classic,” and “America’s bestselling book on women’s health,” the comprehensive guide to all aspects of women’s health and sexuality, including menopause, birth control, childbirth, sexual health, sexual orientation, gender identity, mental health and general well-being.

Six years after the 2005 overhaul of this classic guide to w
Published October 4th 2011 by Touchstone (first published May 4th 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Our Bodies, Ourselves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Bodies, Ourselves

Allyson
Aug 14, 2007 Allyson rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: abortion rights activists only
Our Bodies, Ourselves by The Boston Women’s Health Book Collective, claims to have “served as a way for women, across ethnic, racial, religious and geographical boundaries, to start examining their health from a perspective that will bring about change”. This may ring true through most of the chapters in this text. However, on the topic of abortion, a political firestorm against religious fundamentalists and anti-abortion groups is unleashed.

Unplanned pregnancies follow birth control methods, a
Adam
May 14, 2008 Adam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book taught me why I have hair in all these new places...

*edit*

Liz wrote this review for me last night while I was napping on the couch. I think she's trying to teach me some kind of lesson about leaving myself logged in to websites when I use her laptop.

I've actually never read Our Bodies, Ourselves.

Changing Bodies, Changing Lives was my jam in high school. That was the book that taught me why I had hair in new places. It failed to teach me, however, why I couldn't grow a mustache ... a my
Joy
Jan 06, 2012 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first encountered an earlier edition this book at the apartment of a friend I was staying at over break in 1984, it was earth-shattering. Birth control! Lesbians! but most importantly, reinforcement of my nascent notions that I as a woman had worth beyond my womb, and that I deserved to control my own body, my own fate. Now I'm looking to it for information on perimenopause and later-life health issues, and it is still an excellent resource.
Carrie O'Dell
Mar 20, 2008 Carrie O'Dell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Not exactly something you sit down and read cover to cover, but a vital source of information not just on sexulaity and reproductive rights, but on relationships, nutrition, pregnancy, mental health. All my nieces (current and to come) get a copy on turning 13.
Jessica
Jan 11, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: women
I bought my first copy of Our Bodies, Ourselves when I was purchasing the books for my first semester's classes in college, and the then-new edition (ca. 1986) was on display for a women's studies class. Part comprehensive reference manual, part DIY health guide, part feminist manifesto (talk about the personal being political!), the book is loaded with useful information about women's physical, psychological, and emotional health issues, interwoven with personal anecdotes. The writers encourage ...more
Kath
Mar 31, 2012 Kath rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was in grade school around 5th grade, I was befriended by a very nice woman. I was terribly sad and in turmoil but I couldn't talk about things with my mom or my brothers. I met her after befriending her cat. As she got to know me, she went out of her way to be kind. Among the things we talked about was my lack of knowledge about my own body. She shared this book with me. Thank you, Lynn wherever you are.
Janet
Mar 23, 2012 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a classic reference book among my young adult women friends in the 1970's. When my niece started college in the 1990's, I gave her the revised edition. What was so significant about the book in the 1970's is that it predates the Internet. Back then, the authors' provided current factual information on a range of women's health topics that was not readily available from "mom" or older sisters.
Maijabeep
Nov 30, 2011 Maijabeep rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
Best book on women's health that I've read. Great resource to have on hand.
Maya
I read the latest (21st century) edition and that's the one my review is based on.

There were some really helpful things in here: women's personal accounts of their relationship experience, a solid background/history of abortion rights in the US, and some wonderful links to activist and media tools that I found particularly useful.

Unfortunately:

1) There was no chapter on menstruation! There was one on menopause, and some diseases related to menstruation were listed in the part on diseases, but no
Carly
Jan 17, 2008 Carly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually have no idea when I first read this book--a couple to a few years ago, I guess. And yes, I read it cover to cover. It's a great reference to go back to again and again, and the companion website (www.ourbodiesourselves.org) is rather helpful too. It has links to all kinds of resources that might otherwise be hardish to find. The reason I thought to mention and review it now is just that I had a few questions that I just kept googling and re-googling only to find no answers at all. The ...more
Velma
I've had this book forever, or at least what feels like it: the mid-'80s, at least. When I pulled it off the shelf today to add it here, I was greatly amused to discover, tucked in the back, the syllabus from my 1988 Human Sexuality class in college.

Although I am sure that there are more modern, more up-to-date, references on women's health out there, this title remains for me a (no pun intended) seminal work. Because I discovered it when I was coming of age both sexually and emotionally, and b
Grumpylibrarian
This book was my mother's subtle way of letting me know it was ok to ask her questions about my ovaries. And I certainly was obsessed with my ovaries back in the day.

The best book for female sexuality and anatomy in print. Period. Our Bodies, Ourselves has a liberal agenda - and one that most feminists, or in the case of my generation, post-feminists, and resonates a political agenda that agrees with the morality and sexual health practices of modern women.

Excellent.
Aimee
I was pretty disappointed in this book. There was not as much concrete, everyday, factual material as there was a lot of political ... yapping. Whether I agreed with the particular issue being yapped about or not didn't make much difference, I still found it yappy and unnecessary and felt that the book was marketed/titled in a misleading way.
And the overall tone was very annoying, very smug, very self-righteous and also very "if you don't think just like this, you're the enemy." Come on, we're a
Erik Graff
Dec 08, 2008 Erik Graff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Erik by: Grinnell College
Shelves: sciences
When I entered Grinnell College a copy of the precursor to what became Our Bodies, Ourselves was placed in front of my door in Loose Hall--and in front of every other dormitory door on campus presumably--along with information about services available from the nearest Planned Parenthood and the Dean of Students' Office. Still a virgin and very, very concerned about sex, I read all the material immediately, finding the booklet more informative than anything I'd ever seen before and appreciating i ...more
Michelle
YES! YES! YES! I have to admit that this is honestly one of the very first books I looked at/read when I was a child (yes, I was advanced). And yes, even though my parents were educational, upfront and honest with me about not only the human body, but also "how babies are made", and sexuality, I still would look at this book. My mom had the very first edition in the early 1970's, and when I was in my early twenties I obtained this edition. It has since been revised as the "new century" edition, ...more
jolszko
I haven't really read the new version but have the old. some of the people involved in that book came to our college in the 70's to talk with young women about their bodies. They gave out plastic speculums and showed us how to look at our own cervixes (sp). We even looked at one of theirs! Crazy, heady stuff coming out of repression. I can't imagine that happening on a college campus today.

It was a useful handbook for my generation. Many of our mothers taught us about menstruation by passing a b
Alissa
Aug 22, 2007 Alissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women who want to feel empowered in body and soul
i have this one out from the library but i think i'm going to have to buy it and then it will stay forever on my currently reading shelf. it's "progressive" and "liberal" and right now, i think that's wonderful. there's a lot of info in it that felt like 9th grade health class, but there's also a lot of commentary on how our society affects women emotionally and spiritually as well as a lot of practical advice and de-mystification of helpful ways to get out from under that influence. and what ca ...more
Heta Rae
Apr 27, 2014 Heta Rae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am told the the _Our Bodies, Ourselves_ books were revolutionary when they first came out about being a book by women, for women, all about women's health. The thing that I find most fascinating is how this book has changed across different editions that I have looked at. For example, in early editions, the section about how to prevent getting raped was all diagrams that showed martial arts moves, and came with the assumption that the most likely rapist was some stranger in a dark alley attack ...more
Angela
Oct 06, 2014 Angela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: educational
I only read the few chapters that I thought would be about fertility. It had textbook information but too much of a liberal slant and not enough information for those who do want children. No mention of the long- or short-term detrimental physical and emotional effects of abortion and birth control either. The general attitude was very selfish and focused only on the woman, not considering the effects her choices have on others.
Caitlin
Jun 27, 2009 Caitlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best reference book on the female body you can buy. It covers everything you can think of and does it with a strong feminist/pro-woman stance (including a refreshing take on birth control that points out that the Pill and other forms of hormonal birth control are NOT for everyone, which you don't often hear). I've found myself going back to it again and again for specific questions and issues, but also love just flipping through it.
Tammy
Apr 06, 2014 Tammy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember when this first came out, I was in college, and the women on my floor in the dorm just loved it, and so did I. It was amazing!!!
Janet
Oct 31, 2013 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a bit radical at the time it came out. For years I would use it as a reference book. I only wish I had kept the original copy.
Emily Reynolds
Mar 02, 2014 Emily Reynolds rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have a daughter, please give this to them to read. What a wonderful straightforward empowering read.
Vivacia Ahwen
A classic! But one must read the ORIGINAL to get the full effect.
Lexen
Jun 19, 2015 Lexen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is an excellent book that every woman should own and reasonably contemporary. It gave me a lot of information and viewpoints that I did not have and clear information about my own body and how it works especially as I age. My main regret is that it didn't really address asexuality. Still, an excellent book and a great gift for the woman in your life. Be warned, however. Those who are unable to be open-minded to different viewpoints about sexuality will find this book not to their liking.
Donna Davis
When this book came out, it was the first book that was widely available that told women about their reproductive body parts, addressed the miracle of menstruation, and spoke about women around the world who loved other women.

All of this is of course ancient history to many. There are loads of books now that will tell a female all about her vagina. There are plenty of frank attempts to inform one about types of birth control. But there weren't back then.

There is even a section on how to obtain a
Sam
Apr 23, 2012 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
When I was in the 5th grade my brother and I repeatedly snuck this book outside and had our minds GREATLY expanded. I have to give some credit to my current ability with and deep and abiding love for the topic in question to this book ;) Many times this knowledge has been found useful to my partners as well for more than just anatomy trivia. Sure it may not be perfect, and I believe the edition I had wasn't quite as large, but ANY book that allows one to try and understand the reality and viewpo ...more
Ann
Jun 28, 2015 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read pretty much everything by the Boston women's health of collective. Very informative intertwined with women's personal stories about whichever topic was being discussed. Highly recommended.
autumnthing
Aug 20, 2007 autumnthing rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all women (and men who love them)
Shelves: oft-referred-to
I'm sure I haven't read -every- chapter in this book, but I think that's the idea. It's meant for every stage in a woman's life. I first heard of this book in a collegiate Women's History class and bought my own copy of it over break. While my parents never seem to particularly withhold information from me, I was something of a "late bloomer" and have found this book very useful for filling in the gaps. To this day, I cannot help but pore over the section on Childbirth; I cry every time. What I ...more
jessikay
Apr 22, 2012 jessikay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
seeing as this was written in the 70s, it's a little out of date. otherwise, this book should be handed to every young woman once she starts asking questions (or should but doesn't because she's too embarrassed, like i was). there was so much valuable information in there that i would like to have had accessible to me at a younger age, as it felt a little odd to be reading this now and thinking "oh! so that's why..." loved the collective vibe; the personal stories and different perspectives help ...more
http://www.mindextra.com/miracle-bust/ 1 1 Jan 26, 2016 12:41PM
Geniux Best Foods To Boost Brain Power 1 1 Jan 22, 2016 10:05AM
and 30 seconds of rest. Come on 1 2 Dec 21, 2015 12:40AM
Because sometimes the father 1 1 Nov 30, 2015 09:54PM
Have packing 0 or blood lactic acid 1 1 Nov 11, 2015 09:18PM
Brain Boosters That Can Help Improve Memory 1 1 Nov 09, 2015 02:58AM
http://eyeluminousfacts.com/erase-repair-ha/ 1 1 Nov 06, 2015 09:16PM
  • Sisterhood is Powerful: An Anthology of Writings from the Women's Liberation Movement
  • Manifesta: Young Women, Feminism, and the Future
  • Backlash: The Undeclared War Against American Women
  • Gyn/Ecology: The Metaethics of Radical Feminism
  • The Story of Jane: The Legendary Underground Feminist Abortion Service
  • Whores and Other Feminists
  • When Abortion Was a Crime: Women, Medicine, and Law in the United States, 1867-1973
  • Choice: True Stories of Birth, Contraception, Infertility, Adoption, Single Parenthood, and Abortion
  • How the Pro-Choice Movement Saved America
  • Women and Madness
  • Bitches, Bimbos, and Ballbreakers: The Guerrilla Girls' Illustrated Guide to Female Stereotypes
  • Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom: Creating Physical and Emotional Health and Healing
  • The Hite Report
Our Bodies Ourselves is a nonprofit education and advocacy organization focused on women's health. We aim to combine women's personal stories with reliable, up-to-date health information, while examining the social and political influences on women's health and well-being.
More about Boston Women's Health Book Collective...