Start by marking “Deep, Dark” as Want to Read:
Deep, Dark

Deep, Dark (Joe Ledger #1.3)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  279 ratings  ·  16 reviews
This chilling short story is the prequel to The Dragon Factory, the second installment in Maberry's action-packed Joe Ledger novels.

Before Baltimore cop Joe Ledger goes up against two competing groups of geneticists looking to continue the master-race program in The Dragon Factory, he must battle another foe using human test subjects for his sinister plans.
Audiobook, 35 pages
Published July 12th 2011 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Deep, Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep, Dark

Michelle
Question: When will scientist stop trying to play god?

Answer: Never. For it is because of this we've had many breakthroughs, not just medically but technologically as well.

While this may not necessarily be a bad thing in the 'real world', in storyland its a whole different ball game. Especially when it comes to the Government intervening in hopes of garnering more sound ways to fight in/against war.

In this particular story our hero Joe Ledgar is once again called in. As thee reader you automa...more
Mike
Great short story. I would love to see this fleshed out into something a bit longer though. Maybe a novella. What I didn't quite get was how this was a prequel story to The Dragon Factory, unless it's just set before that book chronologically. Again, the author makes the reader wonder what might really be happening in our world that we don't know about or want to know about. Genetics manipulation is quite a hot topic and a great starting place for Jonathan's type of fiction.
Aaron Advani
A very short short story this one.
It's a Joe Ledger story set between Patient Zero and The Dragon Factory, it's very reminiscent of Matthew Reilly's Hell Island in the Scarecrow series where it dives straight into a mission that has taken place with no preamble of setup of plot etc. etc., just gets into the action.
This is a good short quick fix for all Joe Ledger fans, a must read.
Robin Edman
One of the things that I like about Mr. Maberry is that he can write an action sequence that I will actually read. This is fortunate, as this very short work is packed with more doings than you can shake an antenna at. It's a teaser story only in the sense that I am even more excited about the new Ledger coming out next month.
Adam
A great little bit of action while we await the next bit of gory goodness in this series. Maberry's Ledger is one of those characters that could have an epic incident on the way to get his mail. Spend an enjoyable 15 minutes with him here and you won't be disappointed.
Vicky
Joe Ledger's team is sent on another mission - one that raises the point that there can be bad people fighting even on the side of the "good guys" and some interesting bioethics questions. Pretty impressive depth (groan- pun not intended) for a short story.
Darcy
I was creeped out by this one, that someone would prey on soldiers with no ties was horrible. I think that Joe made the right choice at the end.
Melissa
Another amazing short story by Jonathan Maberry! Wished it was a bit longer with more detail but it was a great read nonetheless!
Whitney
Great little story that leads into the 2nd Joe Ledger novel - Dragon Factory. Action packed and eerie. Loved it!
Robert
Awesome! Perfect Segway to the new novel Assassin's Code that came out today. Already 50 pages into it.
Drew
A short story of things to come for joe ledger and his team. A good mix of action and joe ledger's human side
Karianne
The short story do what they were meant to do... they make me want more! So I bought more.
Matt
Great little short story. It had a bit of action and some mutated bug people. I liked it.
Patryk O'really
nice little intro to The Dragon Factory...cant wait to read Dragon Factory
Doug Jessee
part of missing files.
Krynn Thompson
Krynn Thompson marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Mathieu Kautz
Mathieu Kautz marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Jeremy Jernigan
Jeremy Jernigan marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
  • Four Summoner's Tales
  • Lock & Load (Ryan Lock, #4.5)
  • King of Marbury (The Marbury Lens #1.5)
  • Quarantined
  • The Killing Floor (a novel of The Infection)
  • Ние, врабчетата
  • Zombie Fallout 5: Alive In A Dead World (Zombie Fallout, #5)
  • As The World Dies: Untold Tales Volume 2
  • The Becoming (The Becoming, #1)
  • How Green This Land, How Blue This Sea (Newsflesh Trilogy #3.2)
  • Rivals
  • The Fixer (Mort Grant, #1)
  • Shoggoth's Old Peculiar
  • Autobiography of a Werewolf Hunter (Autobiography of a Werewolf Hunter Book 1)
  • Darkness Creeping: Twenty Twisted Tales
  • Devil's Paw (Imp, #4)
  • Kings of the Dead
  • The Painted Darkness
JONATHAN MABERRY is a New York Times best-selling and multiple Bram Stoker Award-winning horror and thriller author, magazine feature writer, playwright, content creator and writing teacher/lecturer. His books have been sold to more than a dozen countries.

His novels include the Pine Deep Trilogy: GHOST ROAD BLUES (Pinnacle books; winner of the Bram Stoker Award for Best First Novel in 2006), DEAD...more
More about Jonathan Maberry...
Rot and Ruin (Benny Imura, #1) Patient Zero (Joe Ledger, #1) Dust and Decay (Benny Imura, #2) Flesh and Bone (Benny Imura, #3) The Dragon Factory (Joe Ledger, #2)