Start by marking “Deep, Dark” as Want to Read:
Deep, Dark

Deep, Dark (Joe Ledger #1.3)

This chilling short story is the prequel to The Dragon Factory, the second installment in Maberry's action-packed Joe Ledger novels.

Before Baltimore cop Joe Ledger goes up against two competing groups of geneticists looking to continue the master-race program in The Dragon Factory, he must battle another foe using human test subjects for his sinister plans.
Audiobook, 35 pages
Published July 12th 2011 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Deep, Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep, Dark

Anne
Jan 19, 2015 Anne rated it it was amazing
Awesome story!
Sinisa Mikasinovic
Jan 11, 2017 Sinisa Mikasinovic rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Readers of Joe Ledger novels
Deep, Dark was... different. More in line with Material Witness, previous short story, than general feel of Joe Ledger novels.

Less "pew pew", more "I'm going to scare (view spoiler) you!". I absolutely loved it.

I'm not claustrophobic any more than the next guy, but man this was tense.

Secret government underground laboratory where things went to hell due to an ongoing terrorist attack is indeed dug in quite deep. And it was also very dark. And in that same d
Badseedgirl
This story reminds us that sometimes our government is the bad guys in these tales.
Michelle
Apr 05, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-i-read
Question: When will scientist stop trying to play god?

Answer: Never. For it is because of this we've had many breakthroughs, not just medically but technologically as well.

While this may not necessarily be a bad thing in the 'real world', in storyland its a whole different ball game. Especially when it comes to the Government intervening in hopes of garnering more sound ways to fight in/against war.

In this particular story our hero Joe Ledgar is once again called in. As thee reader you auto
Steph
Read as a part of anthology: Joe Ledger: The Missing Files
Rating: ✮✮✮

Before former Baltimore cop Joe Ledger goes up against competing geneticists looking to continue the master-race program in The Dragon Factory, he must battle another foe using human test subjects for his sinister plans.

A quick look at just how twisted scientists can be when they believe what they're doing is for the best for humanity.
Mike
Jan 26, 2014 Mike rated it really liked it
Great short story. I would love to see this fleshed out into something a bit longer though. Maybe a novella. What I didn't quite get was how this was a prequel story to The Dragon Factory, unless it's just set before that book chronologically. Again, the author makes the reader wonder what might really be happening in our world that we don't know about or want to know about. Genetics manipulation is quite a hot topic and a great starting place for Jonathan's type of fiction.
Aaron Advani
May 08, 2013 Aaron Advani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very short short story this one.
It's a Joe Ledger story set between Patient Zero and The Dragon Factory, it's very reminiscent of Matthew Reilly's Hell Island in the Scarecrow series where it dives straight into a mission that has taken place with no preamble of setup of plot etc. etc., just gets into the action.
This is a good short quick fix for all Joe Ledger fans, a must read.
Robin Edman
Mar 14, 2012 Robin Edman rated it really liked it
One of the things that I like about Mr. Maberry is that he can write an action sequence that I will actually read. This is fortunate, as this very short work is packed with more doings than you can shake an antenna at. It's a teaser story only in the sense that I am even more excited about the new Ledger coming out next month.
Zade
May 07, 2015 Zade rated it it was amazing
As a prequel to the Dragon Factory, this story is perhaps a bit too close to the novel to really work. What are the odds that Echo Team would encounter this particular threat only a short time before running into another variation on the same thing? But really, who cares? The story combines a scary situation with some great wise-acre humor and more than a little humanity.
Vicky
Joe Ledger's team is sent on another mission - one that raises the point that there can be bad people fighting even on the side of the "good guys" and some interesting bioethics questions. Pretty impressive depth (groan- pun not intended) for a short story.
Adam
Mar 30, 2012 Adam rated it really liked it
A great little bit of action while we await the next bit of gory goodness in this series. Maberry's Ledger is one of those characters that could have an epic incident on the way to get his mail. Spend an enjoyable 15 minutes with him here and you won't be disappointed.
Read in Special Ops. Takes place between Patient Zero and Dragon Factory. Haven't read Dragon yet. Joe encounters a new monster. This is listed as a Dragon prequel, so I assume he will encounter this same monster again.
Drew
Sep 27, 2013 Drew rated it really liked it
A short story of things to come for joe ledger and his team. A good mix of action and joe ledger's human side
Whitney
Great little story that leads into the 2nd Joe Ledger novel - Dragon Factory. Action packed and eerie. Loved it!
Darcy
Oct 09, 2012 Darcy rated it liked it
I was creeped out by this one, that someone would prey on soldiers with no ties was horrible. I think that Joe made the right choice at the end.
Robert
Apr 10, 2012 Robert rated it really liked it
Awesome! Perfect Segway to the new novel Assassin's Code that came out today. Already 50 pages into it.
Melissa
Oct 11, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
Another amazing short story by Jonathan Maberry! Wished it was a bit longer with more detail but it was a great read nonetheless!
Penny Ramirez
Jun 30, 2015 Penny Ramirez rated it really liked it
This was brief, but creepy. Maberry's DMS is all too believable. Ray Porter is an excellent narrator for this series!
J.F. Penn
Apr 12, 2015 J.F. Penn rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers, sci-fi
Very short but brief pleasure is better than none at all :) Ledger & his team have to hunt super soldiers whose genes have been spliced with insects ...
Thomas Britton
Mar 25, 2015 Thomas Britton rated it really liked it
short and sweet and to the point ,once the action starts it never stops a great fun read ,what short book should be like
James
James rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2015
J.P. Behrens
J.P. Behrens rated it really liked it
May 10, 2015
Stephen Deane
Stephen Deane rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2014
ChrisGeeDogNumberOne
ChrisGeeDogNumberOne rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2013
T.K.
T.K. rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2014
Scott McFarland
Scott McFarland rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2015
Aleksandra
Aleksandra rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2013
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2013
Ryan H
Ryan H rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2013
Fernando Maldonado
Fernando Maldonado rated it really liked it
May 19, 2014
  • Liar Liar
  • Four Summoner's Tales
  • Lock & Load (Ryan Lock, #4.5)
  • King of Marbury (The Marbury Lens #1.5)
  • Monsters: A Bloody Love Story (The Bloodless, #1)
  • The Storm (The Fury, #2)
  • I Hunt Killers - Free Preview (The First 10 Chapters): with Bonus Prequel Short Story "Career Day"
  • Skin Deep (Body of Evidence, #6)
  • Ние, врабчетата
  • Survivors (Aftertime, #1.5)
  • Darkness Creeping: Twenty Twisted Tales
  • Can America Survive?: 10 Prophetic Signs That We Are The Terminal Generation
  • How Green This Land, How Blue This Sea (Newsflesh Trilogy, #3.2)
  • Bound (The Nevermore Trilogy, #2)
  • The Abyss Above Us
  • Dead Again (The Zombie Diaries #1)
  • Z: Zombie Stories
JONATHAN MABERRY is a New York Times best-selling and multiple Bram Stoker Award-winning horror and thriller author, magazine feature writer, playwright, content creator and writing teacher/lecturer. His books have been sold to more than a dozen countries.

His novels include the Pine Deep Trilogy: GHOST ROAD BLUES (Pinnacle books; winner of the Bram Stoker Award for Best First Novel in 2006), DEAD
More about Jonathan Maberry...

Joe Ledger (10 books)
  • Patient Zero (Joe Ledger, #1)
  • The Dragon Factory (Joe Ledger, #2)
  • The King of Plagues (Joe Ledger, #3)
  • Assassin's Code (Joe Ledger, #4)
  • Extinction Machine (Joe Ledger, #5)
  • Joe Ledger: Special Ops
  • Code Zero (Joe Ledger, #6)
  • Predator One (Joe Ledger, #7)
  • Kill Switch (Joe Ledger #8)
  • Dogs of War (Joe Ledger #9)