Start by marking “Her-2: The Making of Herceptin, a Revolutionary Treatment for Breast Cancer” as Want to Read:
Her-2: The Making of Herceptin, a Revolutionary Treatment for Breast Cancer

Her-2: The Making of Herceptin, a Revolutionary Treatment for Breast Cancer

Two years after she underwent a mastectomy and chemotherapy, Barbara Bradfield's aggressive breast cancer had recurred and spread to her lungs. The outlook was grim. Then she took part in Genentech's clinical trials for a new drug. Five years later she remains cancer-free.

Her-2 is the biography of Herceptin, the drug that provoked dramatic responses in Barbara Brad
Published April 27th 2011 by Random House (first published August 25th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Her-2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her-2

K. Bird Lincoln
Dec 28, 2013 K. Bird Lincoln rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a breast cancer survivor-- although not of the aggressive type that the title drug of this book was developed to fight.

My cancer was hormone positive, and treatable by the drug Tamoxifen, but this book chronicles the development from root research to submission of approval to the FDA of Herceptin.

Most breast cancers are tested for two major things: hormone receptor status and HER/neu over expression. If you get hormone positive and her negative, that's a "good diagnosis." Up until Herceptin
Karen
Dec 21, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting addition to my extensive reading about cancer and treatments. This is a very detailed look at the development of a new kind of treatment for breast cancer. I have a family member affected, and I am a physician, so it is good to know as much as possible, though I do not treat breast cancer as a primary care physician. This covers the various treatments and therapies, why this drug is so different, and how we got to this point. The lives saved and sadly those lost. This was also i ...more
Marilyn
Nov 03, 2016 Marilyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing Miracle, Thank you Dr Slamon!

Reading this book, and yes I saw the movie...again pointed out, How Very BLESSED I am to be alive! If Dr Slamon had given up on his fight to bring Herceptin to fruition...I and a very large number of women would have been dead years ago! I was able to really experience all the problems and difficulties he and many others faced. Reading about those who fought hard for its inception increases my respect and admiration. If not for those who worked so diligently
Viraj
Oct 30, 2008 Viraj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Viraj by: Vince Burkhart
Shelves: science-etc
A very good book mainly about the development of Her-2/Neu drug, taking it to the marketplace, what women go through when hit with breast cancer, how people try to jump to share / take credit and sometimes how the deserving guy misses out on the credits...
An important thing to learn is: it is not a good idea to trust the doctor 100%, something that most folks tend to do. You are the one who is most responsible for your own health. The doctor might be good, but might take the safest approach etc
Li
Jun 14, 2014 Li rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was diagnosed with breast cancer that is HER2 neu positive. I'm not sure about anyone else but where I hoped this book would leave me feeling good, instead it left me feeling like crap. I had to keep telling myself a lot has changed since this book has been written. I would not recommend it to a sensitive patient going through the same.
Maron
Sep 11, 2015 Maron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be such an eye-opening book that clearly highlighted the numerous factors involved with the design, funding, evaluation, and roll-out of such a groundbreaking therapy. I found the mix of facts and personal vignettes to be well balanced. I wish I could retain all of the details and lessons shared. This book was a fantastic history, told in a captivating way - it is pretty amazing.
Frankie
This was recommended to me by a friend who survived breast cancer. If you read this be prepared to deal with some technical medical terms and a lot of clinical trial information. While well written, it was a little tough for me as a lay person. Some of the information was much less technical and some was way out of my comfort zone.
Sue
Sep 08, 2008 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bought this for my son to read prior to applying to do medicine. Full of great facts and very easy to read
Gayle Love
Interesting history of the development of Herceptin, but not well written.
Helfi
Jan 16, 2008 Helfi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading it now. The first chapters are amazing...
Robin Larson
Jan 14, 2017 Robin Larson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't realize this book was 19 years old until I finished it!

Still, it was great to learn about the history of Herceptin and how it came to be on the market.
Jenni Smith
May 13, 2013 Jenni Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was very informative. It had nice personal touches in it.
Sara
Feb 21, 2010 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard to get through but very, very interesting.
Janine
Janine rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2011
Kristen
Kristen rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2014
Hala
Hala rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2015
Ellen Vh
Ellen Vh rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2011
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2009
Kayla
Kayla rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2010
Annette H.
Annette H. rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2014
Aditya Basrur
Aditya Basrur rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2016
Mark Bradley
Mark Bradley rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2016
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2013
Allen Cobb
Allen Cobb rated it it was ok
Jan 11, 2015
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2015
Cindy Domecus
Cindy Domecus rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2014
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2011
jenna
jenna rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2015
Nadia
Nadia rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Genentech: The Beginnings of Biotech
  • The Billion-Dollar Molecule: The Quest for the Perfect Drug
  • The Heart of Mathematics: An Invitation to Effective Thinking
  • The Making of a Surgeon
  • Overdiagnosed: Making People Sick in the Pursuit of Health
  • A Feeling for the Organism: The Life and Work of Barbara McClintock
  • Passion and Purpose: Stories from the Best and Brightest Young Business Leaders
  • Writing Science: How to Write Papers That Get Cited and Proposals That Get Funded
  • How to Read a Paper: The Basics of Evidence-Based Medicine
  • Health Care Reform: What It Is, Why It's Necessary, How It Works
  • Portraits of the Mind: Visualizing the Brain from Antiquity to the 21st Century
  • Honeybee Democracy
  • Francis of Assisi: A New Biography
  • American Tapestry: The Story of the Black, White, and Multiracial Ancestors of Michelle Obama
  • Better by Mistake: The Unexpected Benefits of Being Wrong
  • Soda Politics: Taking on Big Soda (and Winning)
  • Nobel Prize Women in Science: Their Lives, Struggles, and Momentous Discoveries
  • There's No Such Thing as "Business" Ethics: There's Only One Rule for Making Decisions