Start by marking “The Secret in the Old Attic (Nancy Drew, #21)” as Want to Read:
The Secret in the Old Attic (Nancy Drew, #21)

The Secret in the Old Attic (Nancy Drew #21)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  7,912 ratings  ·  102 reviews

Book Details: Format: Hardcover Publication Date: 1/1/1955 Pages: 177 Reading Level: Age 8 and Up
Published January 1st 1955 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published 1944)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret in the Old Attic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret in the Old Attic

Twila
Little Susan's parents have died and she's left in the care of her Grandfather, Phillip March. Having not enough finances to support her, he desperately needs the help of Nancy Drew to find some musical manuscripts hidden in his homestead/very creepy house by his late son.

This was definitely one of Nancy's more intense mysteries. While hunting for the manuscripts, she finds a literal skeleton in the closet, gets captured and tied up, and is threatened by Black Widow spiders. And that is only
Mary Lou Hoffman
When I was about 10 or 11, my mother signed me up for a book of the month club. Every month, I received two Nancy Drew or two Hardy Boys books. Every month, they were both read in a week and I was asking when the next book would be there!
I thank my mother for recognizing and encouraging my love of reading.
John Yelverton
Nancy Drew returns with yet another page turner to keep you up at night.
Laura Verret
When Phillip March is struck by a stone and collapses on the Drew’s front porch, Nancy and her father know that they have a new case to investigate. They learn that Mr. Phillip March and his granddaughter are on the verge of poverty – and their only hope for a return to fortune is the musical manuscripts Phillip’s son wrote before he died. But Mr. March can’t find the manuscripts… can Nancy help him?

Discussion.

This story was definitely more intense than most of the Nancy Drew stories – between t
White
I am giving this review through the eyes of me as a child. I couldn't get enough of these books. My library of Nancy Drew books was massive in my bedroom when I was a pre-teen. I had every one of them that was in print at the time. I use to read through them in just a matter of hours.

I believe that Carolyn Keene handed me my love for reading, any imagination I may have, and my passion for writing as well. She was my childhood superhero, the only "celebrity" that I honored who was a woman.

I won'
Joy Gerbode
Anoter light re-read. With all the "heavy" things I've been reading for classes lately, yesterday was just a Nancy Drew day. Light mystery, no thinking involved, just immerse myself in a shallow story it didn't take much at all to read. Might do another one today.
Ruthie Jones
I read all the Nancy Drew books (and the Hardy Boys) when I was a child, but I will admit that I have read them all again as an adult (a few years ago). The stories are old fashioned, but that's why I like them so much.
Tabi34
Yes, I've read 21 of the Nancy Drew books over the past year.This story involves some stolen music and silk manufacturing and luckily for Nancy and her father, they intersect so that Nancy solves not one but two mysteries for the price of one.

Fipp March was a composer until he was killed in the army, but he hid music in his boyhood home to take care of his family. Unfortunately, no one knows where and everyone but his father and his little daughter are still alive. The elder March needs to find
Gina Valdes
This is one of the first Nancy Drew Mystery Series that I have read in a really long time. When I was little I’m pretty sure I read every single one of them! I absolutely loved these mystery books. Maybe its because I was young and my mind was more naïve, but I really didn’t like this book as much as I remembered. It was extremely predictable, which would make sense because I read it for a formula fiction chapter book. Carolyn Keene is a good author, every single one of her Nancy Drew books seem ...more
C.
This is an excellent novel by Mildred A. Wirt in 1944, unrecognized as its author for years. Unless pertaining to computers or freedom, I disregard remarks about a story feeling outdated. It would be silly to expect literature or films to accommodate 2012 (and all the years my review gets read). A story is current when it’s composed. People shouldn’t penalize era of origin in feedback.

A man in a declining mansion he can’t afford, is raising his Granddaughter, Susan. Her Dad Philip March, a decea
Phe☽♃
The Secret in the Old Attic is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 21st book in the Nancy Drew series.

Nancy must unravel the mystery of a dead man's letters or Mr. March and his granddaughter will face financial ruin.

I’ve always been a voracious reader. So, as a child, one of my favorite things about summer was the frequent trips to our local library, which was less than a mile from our house. Like most young girls of a certain age (ahem), my love for mysteries started
Xyra
Love, love, love this Nancy Drew installment! She stays in River Heights...how can it be better than the great places I have been with her lately? The main setting is one of the things that really excites me...an old mansion with secret rooms and passageways! Furniture with hidden drawers and compartments. AND a factory with a secret laboratory. I could have done without the black widow spiders, but that's a small price to pay.

Nancy is awesome! Strong, compassionate, inquisitive, intuitive, and
Maura Badji
My parents ran a group home for 7 mentally retarded teenagers as part of their jobs at a private school run by my father's brother in the late 1960s into the early 1970s. I found a carton of Nancy Drew books in the basement of the house we were given as part of the deal; I dived in and read them all. My favorites were the first 10 books.
Jerman
This book was a obviously good book because it had my favorite theme, mystery. It's about a girl named Nancy that tries to find who stole the old man's grandson's song. Maybe in the future, I will try to read these types of books more.
Becky Galambos
Rereading my way through the series. This one was one I didn't remember reading. It has a few interesting twists but leaves the ending sort of a mystery as to what actually happens as a result of the mystery being solved...
Eva Moss
Awesome

this book will give you a scare! Nevertheless it also has a great amount of sleuthing. This book has two mysteries in it that wind up in the same mystery. So make sure you read it!
Twyla
Quick bedtime read. As usual half the facts dont add up, things are left unclear, and lots of junk doent make any sense. Maybe i am getting jaded.
Brian
Ritvik Rehan
I suddenly developed interest in reading novels and it's a very good novel for beginner level.I would give 3 out of 5 stars.
Joy
This is my favorite of all the Nancy drew books by far. This was super.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I remember the first time I read Nancy Drew. It blew my mind that there were girls presented with a brain. Most of the stuff I'd read up to that time, was that girls were sugar and spice - fluffy. No brains. To also learn about George who is a tomboy was a nice validation. Carolyn Keene wrote just for me! That is how I felt. When I did more research, I was shocked to find out, Ms. Keene was actually a man ... writing under Franklin Dixon. I also loved the Hardy Boys. No wonder I loved these seri ...more
Christina
PBS recently interviewed Millie Wirt Benson, the original ghostwriter who infused this beloved, preteen heroine with many of her own personal traits. I adored and devoured these books as a kid and was inspired to re-read them now. Wow, what a buttinsky Nancy Drew was! That surely explains a lot of my childhood confusion about boundaries. (Sometimes it's valuable to go back and look at your early influences for more than literary reasons.) The 5-star rating is my estimation of the book as a child ...more
PMP
The one that started everything. I think I was top student in my school for Primary One, and the prize was that I would get to choose 2 books, in a magical room where all manner of books had been laid out on every possible surface for prize-winners. I don't remember why I chose this book when there was a picture of a skeleton hand on the cover that terrified me (and kept me away from all books for a long time). Eventually I read it, with much coaxing from my mother, and all the pieces fell in pl ...more
Amy
Had an old school scary attic plot, skeleton and all that I really enjoyed. I loved the bad guy. He's a real psycho who wields poisonous black widow spiders as his weapon of choice of all things. How cool is that? Nancy's claws are out as she bags on the neighborhood stuck up b. behind her back yet deftly uses her to further her investigation. I liked the plot developments with the perfume bottles ploy& spider silk fabric formulas. Held my interest all the way. Top notch Nancy Drewing.
babyhippoface
Nancy can still provide a fun, light mystery after all these years.
Melanie
A two-for-one bad guy mystery. The same bad guy is responsible for two mysteries (like in Book 3). Nancy is never knocked out but she is bound and gagged and threatened with a black widow spider (whose venom makes people fall into a deep sleep?).
Ash
I think this is the first Nancy Drew book I ever read. I'd love to reread the series sometime but I have a feeling they didn't age well.

I always knew that these and the Hardy Boys books were by the same author, but I only just learned that they were actually ghost written for a syndicate... a SYNDICATE! Feeling a little betrayed, like my childhood has been commoditized. I should never have read the Goodreads page for Carolyn Keene.
Elle G
I enjoyed this novel. It was full of suspense, which is what I like in a book. It was mainly about music and trying to find lost compositions. I got kind of tired of the music topic the whole time. The author did a good job of showing the characters emotions and feelings. It made me feel like I could be the same character because we were feeling the same way. It made me fell like I was a part of the book or as if I was that character.
Desiree Koh
The first book in the Nancy Drew series -- how I wanted to be her growing up! It's interesting to study the evolution of the character through the years, particularly in the descriptions -- she begins as a redhead, and now she has titian hair. She used to drive a jalopy, now she drives a convertible. The image of Nancy has changed, depending on what girls' perceived as their ideal across the generations.
  • The Gatehouse Mystery
  • The Secret Warning (Hardy Boys, #17)
  • The Mystery of the Missing Heiress (Trixie Belden #16)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene...

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew, #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew, #10)
The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1) The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew, #2) Nancy Drew: #1-64 The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3) The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)