Start by marking “Criminal Profiling: An Introduction to Behavioral Evidence Analysis” as Want to Read:
Criminal Profiling: An Introduction to Behavioral Evidence Analysis

Criminal Profiling: An Introduction to Behavioral Evidence Analysis

Now in its fourth edition, "Criminal Profiling" - winner of a 2013 Texty Award from the Text and Academic Authors Association - is an established resource centered on the deductive profiling method developed by the author. With 35% new content, this edition contains cases in each chapter, along with the latest advances in evidence-based profiling. Additional information ha ...more
Published March 9th 2011 by Academic Press (first published May 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Criminal Profiling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Criminal Profiling

Gregory Gietzen
Apr 14, 2010 Gregory Gietzen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cle
Definitely a worthwhile read, especially as an alternative to a lot of the offerings out there. Turvey insists on the primacy of the scientific method in criminal investigation, and the importance of deduction over induction. Right there I knew we were going to be best of friends, and when he included the section excoriating anyone willing to entertain psychics as an investigative tool, I was sold. The insistence on scientific rigor is something I'd like to see adopted across the board, since ju ...more
Ri
4 because the author managed to remain objective about each topic
and 5 because the author's way of writing is simply admirable
Tawny Taylor
Jun 30, 2010 Tawny Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent resource for authors of suspense and mystery fiction. The price is on the high side, but the book is well worth the cost. A keeper.
John
Dec 28, 2016 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-scribd
It is clear from this text that Mr. Turvey is a proponent of individual case study, rather than statistical analysis. I can understand and agree with that. In the text, however, he spends an inordinate amount of time stressing the limits of criminal profiling while not providing much in the ways of actually developing a profile. Basic terms are discussed, but clear strategies and "how to"s are missing. Perhaps, as a primer for further study, this text is a starting point. I had hoped for more pr ...more
Ashley
Nov 24, 2015 Ashley marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
#
NC
Own in hardback.

FS: "The process of inferring the personality characteristics of individuals responsible for committing criminal acts has commonly been referred to as criminal profiling."

LS: "These guidelines do not represent a radical departure from those of other well established professional forensic organizations, such as the American Board of Criminalists and the California Association of Criminalists."
Ralph
Dec 23, 2012 Ralph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-reference
A very good survey of criminal profiling theory and methods. Part of the quality of the book comes from the breadth and depth of the contributors that Turvey brings in, but another reason for the book's quality stems from Turvey's personal interest in the subject, the reason for which he details in the introduction. This is a great book for anyone looking for a thorough overview of the subject, as well as an in-depth examination for professions.
Melissa
Feb 04, 2009 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Seems all right. Kind of boring. Very, very technical. The author's opinion on pioneering individuals in the field of criminal profiling is made clear to the reader. I never like it when an author references himself or his opinions and theories in a text - just give me the facts, please - and I think that's a big part of the reason why I don't really care for this. Can't imagine I'll finish it. Cool pictures, though.
Michelle
Mar 07, 2010 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So confusing!!!! Will update when I finish. Right now however I think the author is horrible and contradictory. I am reading this for a class and I am getting irritated with this...well this is what it is but I disagree and this is the fault of blah blah blah...
Richard Roberts
Feb 02, 2015 Richard Roberts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My career has been in Criminal Justice and learned of this book. Purchased this book for reference and education - purchased it used for my library. Doubt I would have for new copy.
Katherine Maxted
This looks really good, but as it arrived my daughter nabbed it. So i'm waiting my turn.
Richard Roberts
My career was in Criminal Justice and I learned of this book and purchased it for reference - got it used, couldn't have afforded my whims for new.
Heather Pomeranz
Heather Pomeranz rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2013
Angelika
Angelika rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2014
Maria Johannesen
Maria Johannesen rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2013
Survivors
Survivors rated it really liked it
May 18, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2013
Bobby
Bobby rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2015
Judith Velasco
Judith Velasco rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2013
Wesley Brown
Wesley Brown rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Wattakitty
Wattakitty rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2017
Terumi
Terumi rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2011
Heather Pomeranz
Heather Pomeranz rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2013
Rasa Lobeiko
Rasa Lobeiko rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2015
Tony Campbell
Tony Campbell rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2013
Alycia
Alycia rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2013
Brandy
Brandy rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2013
Kathi
Kathi rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2011
Teresa Kaestner
Teresa Kaestner rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2016
Natasha De
Natasha De rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2015
Jules
Jules rated it really liked it
May 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Crime Classification Manual: A Standard System for Investigating and Classifying Violent Crimes
  • Criminal Psychology And Personality Profiling (Forensics: The Science Of Crime Solving)
  • Profiling: The Psychology of Catching Killers
  • The Unknown Darkness: Profiling the Predators Among Us
  • Criminal Psychology: A Beginner's Guide
  • Practical Homicide Investigation: Tactics, Procedures, and Forensic Techniques
  • Inside the Criminal Mind
  • Criminal Profiling (The Essential Guide To Criminal Profiling)
  • Sexual Homicide: Patterns and Motives
  • The Human Predator: A Historical Chronicle of Serial Murder and Forensic Investigation
  • Digital Evidence and Computer Crime: Forensic Science, Computers and the Internet
  • Serial Murderers and Their Victims
  • The Art of Profiling: Reading People Right the First Time
  • Profilers: Leading Investigators Take You Inside The Criminal Mind
  • Dark Dreams: Sexual Violence, Homicide And The Criminal Mind
  • Profile of a Criminal Mind
  • Criminalistics: An Introduction to Forensic Science
  • Forensics for Dummies

“History collects; history records; and history remembers. And it patiently waits for unsatisfied minds to discover it.” 1 likes
“and therefore is a reasonable basis for interpretations and conclusions. 4. BEA involves three different kinds of examinations as part of crime scene analysis. What are they? 5. All behavior has underlying causes and origins. The origins may be conscious or subconscious, however. This is related to the principle of ____________? 6. The forgetting curve is associated with which principle of BEA? 7. Explain why profilers should be responsible for requesting case materials in writing.” 0 likes