Start by marking “Pulp Art: Original Cover Paintings for the Great American Pulp Magazines” as Want to Read:
Pulp Art: Original Cover Paintings for the Great American Pulp Magazines

Pulp Art: Original Cover Paintings for the Great American Pulp Magazines

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  92 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The first book to feature the original paintings created for American pulp magazine covers, this unique reference offers an authoritative text, historical surveys, vintage letters, 125 full-page images, and much more.
Published September 16th 1997 by Gramercy (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Pulp Art, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pulp Art

Linda Robinson
Aug 25, 2009 Linda Robinson rated it it was amazing
If you're a fan of dramatic art, ripping fast cars packed to the gunwales with gleaming blue steel and gleamier women, get this book. As a feminist, I hate it. As an artist, I'm an addict.

This is why I have a therapist. Go get your own.

The dedication:

"What do I ask of a painting? I ask it to astonish, disturb, seduce, convince." ~ Lucien Freud.

This is NOT your mother's Freud.
Timothy Boyd
Jan 30, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it really liked it
I am a huge fan of the pulps. This is a great book for me and other pulp fans. Fantastic selection of cover art from this literary genre. Very recommended
Tracy
I was in Barnes and Noble today and happened to come across this awesome looking book . . . and it was on sale! The art that I glimpsed at looks fantastical and amazing, making want to know what the fiction was like that went along with these covers. Look forward to reading and enjoying this book!
Mike Jensen
Sep 21, 2010 Mike Jensen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful tour through some of the most lurid art ever created. It is odd to focus on it as if it were museum quality work and much more commentary would have been welcome, but the reproductions are worth studying on their own.
Elijah Spector
Nov 19, 2015 Elijah Spector rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
I only just got this, and haven't actually read the book part yet, per se, but as a coffee table book with a collection of great images, it's perfect.
Gale
Sep 28, 2013 Gale rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
DARE TO BE WILD--TOO MUCH IS NEVER ENOUGH!

If you are a fan of the Pulps—particularly their dazzling, somewhat shocking cover art—this is the ultimate coffee table book for you! With its oversized, slick pages, many full-page color illustrations, and articles by 18 contributing writers (including some descendants of the artists) this edition is a welcome yet scholarly validation of a special era in US literary history: from the early 1900’s through the late 1940’s.

The Introduction to this present
Michael A
a short study of the covers and artists who worked on the pulp magazines in the 30's and 40's. Some new detail but a video special done some years ago was better.
Bruce Kirby
Aug 04, 2015 Bruce Kirby rated it really liked it
Great graphics and a detailed account of the great pulp artists of the 20th century. Really cool!
David
Apr 08, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
One of the best books available on pulp art.
Ines
Ines rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Jay Garrison
Jay Garrison rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Steve Rainwater
Steve Rainwater rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Blake Madden
Blake Madden rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2015
Max
Max marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Clifton
Clifton rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2015
Brian
Brian added it
Oct 28, 2015
Bryan Chambers
Bryan Chambers marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
Robert Scrivner
Robert Scrivner marked it as to-read
Barry
Barry marked it as to-read
F. Paul
F. Paul rated it it was amazing
Chris Hansen
Chris Hansen rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2015
Ryan
Ryan rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2015
Mike Lee
Mike Lee rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2015