Start by marking “Burning Bright (Chicagoland Shifters, #1)” as Want to Read:
Burning Bright (Chicagoland Shifters, #1)

Burning Bright (Chicagoland Shifters #1)

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  40 reviews
"Curiosity never killed this cat, but love could have deadly consequences. "

Sasha Soskoff has two reasons for moving to Chicago: secure a tenured position in veterinary research medicine, and widen his horizons. After a night at the city s hottest new club, though, a wrong turn down a dark alley narrows his focus to surviving three muggers. As consciousness fades, he catch...more
Published September 13th 2011 by Samhain Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Burning Bright, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burning Bright

Shattered Glass by Dani AlexanderSpecial Forces by Aleksandr VoinovMaking Promises by Amy LaneA Russian Bear by C.B. ConwyThe Substitute by Tionne Rogers
Best Gay Romance Featuring Russians
20th out of 45 books — 66 voters
911 by Chris OwenMore by Sloan ParkerDark Horse by Kate SherwoodThe Strongest Shape by Tessa CárdenasGemini by Chris Owen
Best Gay Polyamorous Romance
199th out of 305 books — 519 voters

More lists with this book...

Jenre
Sep 20, 2011 Jenre added it
Shelves: m-m, bdsm, romance, paranormal
DNF

I wasn't going to bother saying why I couldn't finish the book but a few people have asked so I'll set out my main reasons. Let me first say that these are probably just my personal problems and that other readers may not find them as annoying as me.

1. I found elements of the writing a little sloppy. For example the authors used the word 'immaculate' 3 times in 5 pages and one of those times was in reference to a car park (or parking lot to you US people). I can understand a car park being un...more
Simsala
Oct 20, 2012 Simsala marked it as skimmed-through
Story is not readable without getting a headache.
MC can`t decide which man to jump next...confusing and tiresome...
Bitchie *Bored Now*
Another book where I go against the crowd, I'm afraid. This is going to be one of my more rambly, ranty reviews, all about the little things that bugged me about this book. It might contain spoilers, but considering I'm not even sure about the overall plot, I probably CAN'T spoil it too much.

Sasha is an animal vet, he's also an animal empath. It never really goes into what that means exactly, other than that he has an affinity to animals, and can often feel them and what they feel. So it was rea...more
Kelly
I've been eyeballing this one for a few weeks, ever since I read an excerpt posted online. I love shifter stories, especially non-wolf shifters, and you don't see a lot to do with the Russian mob. Especially when the mob (minor spoiler!) turns out to be a bunch of shifters, too.

I think my favorite aspect of the book was the family unit created by Neal and his soldiers. I love seeing groups of tough alpha men who are tender with each other.

I had a few minor niggles with some aspects of Sasha's r...more
Amanda
4 stars

Hello everyone. My name is Amanda and I have an addiction to shifter stories.

...oh? This isn't the shifter version of AA? Well. On a more serious note, I really do have an addiction to shifter stories. I always have. So of course I was going to read this. I'm still not sure why I didn't pick it up sooner...

Because I'm slow, it took me a bit to realize practically every single person in this book was Russian. That's cool. But...where the hell did they come from? I mean, maybe there are a l...more
Chris
3.5 stars. Good kinky paranormal menage romance about an animal empath and veterinary surgeon who moves to Chicago to look for a job. When he's rescued from Russian mobsters outside of a bdsm club by the club's owner and bouncers, he finds himself strangely attracted to them... I would've rated this higher, but there was an extended bdsm scene in which the vet was flogged and had sex while lying on his stomach after his ribs had been broken only a few days before, but his ribs didn't bother him...more
Staceyr
Somehow I missed any indicators that this is a m-m-m-m-m-m, not just m-m. Sasha totally grooves on becoming the pack sex toy, to be "tasted"/passed around, though Neal is the alpha so he's the main squeeze, but still...not my thing. Great writing, so if you dig on that set-up, this is the book for you. If I'd know ahead of time, I wouldn't have bought the book.
Susan65
Oh baby, what a ride. Wow, these men know how to make a boy feel welcome; and Sasha is one lucky boy to have drawn the attention of these ginormous hunks. Let me just say this, I was looking for a different kind of shifter story and whoa, did I ever find it here.

Can you seriously tell me there’s anything more fricking sexy than Special Forces marines who are also tiger shifters who are also gay? And yeah, they are similar to real felines and they love to cuddle and purr and lick each other. Nau...more
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
I thoroughly enjoyed this story. A group of hot alpha males with a bit of M/M, a smidge of shifter and a side of bdsm. Just the right amount of ingredients to make this an all around enjoyable read. I really hope there are some follow up stories in the works on some of the other guys.
True
I am currently reading this book on my eReader. I almost didnt read it because of all the negative reviews. But I wanted to give it a chance. I'm glad I decided to read it for myself. I went into it with a negative idea of what it was going to be. I can honestly say I am happy that I got this one. I will definitely be back to finish this review once I am completely done with the book. :)

*********
alrighty i finished the book. Despite my preconceived notions I enjoyed the book. My favorite charact...more
Christy Duke
If I've said it once, I've said it a million times - I'm pretty crazy over shifter stories. What could be better? Hot, sexy men, who transform into strong, sexy animals. Yum. The description of this story grabbed my interest immediately and that's also because I like bratty bottoms and Sasha seemed like he might fill that requirement. This also is a story world where lycanthropes are a known and accepted part of society which can lead to a more interesting story. These are new authors to me but...more
Cori
This book just didn't do it for me. It felt very disjointed - it would start to pick up a thread of storyline but then drop it almost immediately. Maybe they were hints at sequels? But they just weren't done right and made it very muddled and a bit chaotic.

There were also so many characters just thrown in with the assumption that the reader would know who they were it got a bit confusing to follow at times.

Overall - the story premise was cool and I was pretty excited, but there was SO much goi...more
Charly
I wanted to like it, but it was too silly and over-the-top for me

Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 4/10

PROS:
- I like it when paranormal elements are commonplace within the setting of a story. It means that the characters don’t have to expend as much energy trying to hide what they are and can focus on other things instead.
- Sasha believes himself to be fairly unremarkable, so the idea of multiple sexy hunks of men being interested in little ol’ unrem...more
Amber
This book was a mixed for me. There was some good stuff and some things I didn't like as well. The world building in this book isn't really that good. I still don't know if magic/shifters are out in the open in this world or if they are hidden. No one seems surprised by the various shifters and Sasha talks openly about his coven.Yet at the same time there is no medical treatment places for the shifters and you would think Sasha's empathy would make it easy for him to find a job. Dynamics of the...more
Mouse
It surprises me this is a Samhain book. Because where was the editor? Halfway through, the scenes began to repeat themselves (word-for-word in most cases). DUDE. And there were points when things would happen one place, and then in the next scene it didn't happen. There was zero continuity.

The world was under-thought as well. There wasn't any world-building. The plot was also thin and not really interesting.
Kristy Maitz
Very interesting plot. At first I thought Neal & Sasha are getting into sex to fast but then there was pause and we get to meet and get to know all the guys in Neal team.

Its really good reading material and I hope that story will be continued. I recommend that book to all who want satisfied reading time.

And don't get scared at the end we have Neal & Sasha & Steve coupling.

Great work
Lightreads
The one with the gay veterinarian who meets the kinky marine weretigers and then there's a lot of growling and group sex.

God, this was so boring.
Vivian Archer
Meh.

Confusing in places, awkward dialogue, and just ran hot and cold for me.
Avril
I read this from beginning to end, and still have no idea what it's about.
Renee
Magical Guardian & veterinarian Sasha Soskoff moves from his Coven in Madison to downtown Chicago to try for a prestigious new research job at Northwestern University. A brutal mugging by Russian mobsters—and having no health insurance—puts him at the mercy of the outrageously sexy Dom Neal Harrison, the owner of the Factory, one of the hottest gay clubs in town. Neal and his men are former Marines with a big secret—they’re shape-shifters. Sasha’s got enough to worry about with making ends m...more
Virginia
Lisa Gardner
Ok I never review books but felt this book was so much better then the reviews it was getting. Sasha as a character is not your stereotypical twink waiting for the stronger Dom to defend him, he sticks up for himself. In many ways he is really realistic he fights but doesn't always win. One of the reviews really takes issue with broken ribs healing so quickly but as this book had sifters and magic in it I would think that the healing rate of a magic user would be the last thing someone was quest...more
Karl
Somewhere between 2.5 and 2.75 stars for me. My own personal opinions but it was a bit difficult to follow the story as the paranormal world these characters were operating in was not fully fleshed out. I found myself scratching my head at what was happening more than a few times. If the blurb wasn't clear, this would be a ménage relationship. Not terrible (I did finish it) but I really didn't buy into the "romance" part of the story either.
Lang
Ok. Soskoff is a funny name. It has direct connection to the words "soska" meaning pacifier and "sosok" - nipple. So yeah, funny =) But cute nevertheless.
This book has all kind of popular kinks rolled in one: marines, bdsm, shifters, menage etc to name a few. Oh, and the Russian mafia.
I'm actually suprised that Russian names weren't just meaningless random picks from an online baby names dictionary. The use of names was thoughtfull and in some places even explained. I'm impressed =)
In some place...more
Nikki
(Heavy emphasis on this next sentence) I did not like this read. Not to be mean but this was not good for someone who taught creative writing. The writing was not just simplistic (because simple can sometimes be good), but disjointed and not fleshed out. Sasha was not a character I wanted to get to know.
SPOILERS~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Half the story and the writing went something like this. Sasha gets beat up. He's rescued and patched up. Immediately a sexual encounter follows with Neal. Sasha...more
Rurae
This is an enjoyable but pretty light going read.

The basic story I enjoyed because I just love me some shifters and I liked the idea of having a main character who is a vet and an animal empath falling in love with a shifter.

But there were things that irritated me too. the way the main character is repeatedly almost raped and never particularly traumatized by it - instead he just seems to want more sex with the shifters he's living with. That made me kind of shake my head a bit - but hey, its a...more
I wanted to like this a lot more than I did. There was just too much going on in such a short story for me to get overly attached to any of the characters. Between the shifters (why I initially bought the book), the magic (that was not well explained), the BDSM (kind of), the Russian mafia, the polyamory, and the MC trying to find a job, it just gets confusing. Then the author throws in all these side characters as well. I believe I read somewhere this is the start to a series but I don't have e...more
Moira Keith
A. Catherine Noon and Rachel Wilder nailed it with this one. While I am not a fan of m/m stories, this one really drew me in because of all the action and emotion woven throughout the book. There was just enough of everything to keep me interested in every word. It is engaging on so many levels. Each element of the story is layered in such a way that one does not overshadow the other, leaving you with something that you are thrilled to read.
AkFa
top, top, top, top, top, top... YES I freaking know by now he is a fucking top with an asshole tighter shut then Heaven's Gate but please...

NO! - 43th page and I'm done. I can't read any more. Maybe I will come back later and give this book another go - because not everything is bad and only bad - now I'm too tired and too pissed off to actually willingly suffer through.
Meggie
I have mixed feelings about this storyline. The main plotted idea was pulling and interesting. I even enjoyed the dialogues and comical banter between the whole Neal's military team of shifters. Every character was interesting. But the main relationship between, Neal and Sasha, and then with others from the team, didn't really play right. In overall it was enjoyable story.
  • The Given & The Taken (Tooth and Claw, #1)
  • Between Heaven & Hell (Heavenly Sins, #1)
  • Clove Sutherland (Beyond the Marius Brothers, #7)
  • A Man, a Jersey, and a Tight End (Goldilocks #2)
  • Tian's Hero (The Akanti #1)
  • Winter's Knight  (New Amsterdam, #2)
  • Bound To Please
  • Cat Toy
  • Son of Death (Keepers of the Gods, #1)
  • Tag Team (Guards of Folsom, #2)
  • Trucker and Pup
  • Braided (A Velvet Glove Novel)
  • Deliver Us (Deliver Us, #1)
  • Lion Hearted ( The Divination Falls Trilogy)
  • The Hot Floor
  • Duck Fart (Del Fantasma)
  • Human Nature
  • Room at the Edge (Room at the Top, #2)
Tiger Tiger (Chicagoland Shifters, #2) Eden's Guardian Barbados Insight Guides Barbados Emerald Fire

“ 'What i you're the Big Bad Wolf?' he managed to quip.

Neal's eyes widened. 'Then you'd better be Little Red Riding Hood, son.' ”
0 likes